As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Got 4500 MS points to spend.

RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey guys. I just got a bunch of MS points from a family member as an early birthday present, and I want to get some awesome stuff off the Xbox store. So, what's the best stuff on there? I'm probably gonna get Banjo Kazooie so that will leave me with 3200 points.
Spend on? :P

Rizzi on

• LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well for arcade games, Castle Crashers is 1600, and Worms HD is only 400 and both are great games to play with others.

You've got Halo 3 and Fable 2, the former which has a map pack out that is I think 600 and there's a newer map pack coming this spring that will most likely be 800. Fable 2 has the Knothole Island DLC which is 800, and I've heard good things about it.

If you want to spend alot you should check out the Xbox Originals. The only one I've purchased before was Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, but I'm sure you could find something interesting.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Get Space Giraffe. It's only 400 points and it is amazing.

Nimble Cat on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Braid and Bionic Commando are fucking magical. Braid has cool puzzles, gorgeous graphics and indie music and a creepy story. BC has hilarious jokes, slick 8-bit remixes and great gameplay.

Braid

Bionic Commando - now with phat beats

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looking towards the XBox Live Arcade; you've got a few good selections:

Bionic Commando: Rearmed
    - Platforming!

Geometry Wars (any flavor)
    Triggerheart Excellica
    - Shmups!

Penny Arcade Adventures, Ep. 1/2
    - RPGs with funny writing!

People will sing Braid's praises endlessly too...

But, above all, don't be afraid to grab some demos for arcade games in genres you like.

mrsnackroad on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rez. Buy it twice just to make sure.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, all XBLA games have demos so just go crazy with demos and buy what you end up liking.

As for me, I'd say Pac-Man:CE, N+, and Geo Wars 2 are 3 XBLA games that no 360 owner should be without. There are also a few rather nice cheap XNA Community Games if you're willing to sift through the garbage (so far, Weapon of Choice, CarneyVale Showtime, and Hexothermic are the best IMO).

RainbowDespair on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, all XBLA games have demos so just go crazy with demos and buy what you end up liking.

As for me, I'd say Pac-Man:CE, N+, and Geo Wars 2 are 3 XBLA games that no 360 owner should be without. There are also a few rather nice cheap XNA Community Games if you're willing to sift through the garbage (so far, Weapon of Choice, CarneyVale Showtime, and Hexothermic are the best IMO).

I forgot that one. I'm waiting for my Street Fighter Stick so I can tear that shit up. :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Worms, Castle Crashers, Braid, PAA, Bionic Commando, Geometry Wars, Castlevania: Symphony of The Night...

UNO.

parabola on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was going to say Banjo Kazooie, but you have that covered.

I got Space giraffe. It is pretty fun, I like seizure visuals.

Xtarath on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you're looking for DLC, the GTA IV expansion hits next Tuesday. 1600 points, 10 hours of story content.

Pac Man CE and Geo Wars 2 are musts.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mega Man 9 is great if you have any feelings of nostalgia for MM2 and MM3.

Hedgethorn on
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In addition to all the games already mentioned i cannot recommend N+ enough if you like platformers, it only costs 800 msp and i have probably gotten 20+ hours out of it.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can log into zune and buy some music.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    R-type seems pretty classy, but from what I've been told it was short, like reaaally short.

Street Fighter 2 HD is really nice.

Braid you can't go wrong with.

I still say wait for the "Lost and the damned" add on though.

Waka Laka on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't own GTA IV. Which is a bit annoying. The new DLC stuff looks pretty good.
    Did they smooth things out for Banjo Kazooie? It looks much nicer than I remember. :P
    How long are the PA rpg's?

Rizzi on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Both PA games run at around 5 hours each, and will leave your face hurting from laughing so much.
    Wagons are useful as fuck.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited February 2009
    Aw.. This pac man doesn't have a mode without a time limit.

Rizzi on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    Get Space Giraffe. It's only 400 points and it is amazing.

Ugh, try the demo first. I hated it.

Pac Man CE for single player. Bomberman if you have alot of multi gaming going on. Ikaruga if you love shooters but hate your sanity.

solsovly on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Usually the best thing you can do is download the demo of the arcade title and decide whether or not to purchase or delete. As for expansion packs and such, read up about them and weigh the odds of price/value for the package.

Waka Laka on
    edited February 2009
    Sadly I have a 12 gig cap for my internet. So downloading aaaaaall the demos is kinda hard. :(

Rizzi on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nobody respects Every Extend Extra Extreme.

Admittedly, I prefer Every Extend Extra (PSP), but E4 is still a damn fine game.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Street Fighter 2 HD Remix is pretty sweet, and this is coming from somebody who until now had never played SF.

Clint Eastwood on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Spend it all on Rock Band tracks.

Or, rather, buy Braid and spend the rest on Rock Band tracks.

Daedalus on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Spend it all on Rock Band tracks.

Or, rather, buy Braid and spend the rest on Rock Band tracks.
    That's what I was going to say.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now that I think about it, I'd have to go with the Q trilogy: Rez, E4, & Lumines.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Sin Twin 1Sin Twin 1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would recomend Bionic Commando, Worms, 1942, and Uno, I want braid, played the demo, liked it, castle crashers is not bad, demo is worth the download, it wasnt as good as alien hominid i thought but I havnt played the whole game so ...

Sin Twin 1 on
    Sin+Twin+1.png
    edited February 2009
    I got Geometry Wars 2. My goodness this is hypnotic.

Rizzi on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Most of the awesome games have been covered. If you haven't played Portal in some form, get Portal: Still Alive. That's not a suggestion, that's a command. Other than that, I personally recommend N+, Geometry Wars 2, Braid, and Bionic Commando, but everything mentioned thus far is pretty much gold.

The cool thing about demos is that they include the full version. So if you decide you want to buy a game, you don't need to use more bandwidth getting the full thing.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Puzzle Quest is awesome.

Delinator on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mrlee69 wrote: »
    Spam

You've joined today, and have made two posts, both recommending that people buy Death Tank, a game which doesn't even come out until tomorrow.

I'm guessing shill.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    mrlee69 wrote: »
    Spam

You've joined today, and have made two posts, both recommending that people buy Death Tank, a game which doesn't even come out until tomorrow.

I'm guessing shill.
    Did you seriously just quote a fucking spam message?

And to think, your mother wasted nine months carrying you to term when five minutes with a coat hanger would have been so much more productive.

Thanatos on
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GTA's The Lost and The Damned

It's a perfect blend of Road Rash and what the film Hell Ride should have been.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • TwoKillTwoKill __BANNED USERS new member
    edited February 2009
    I made my fist post about Death Tanks. The word cult following comes to mind and Death Tanks definitley has one. So I'm gonna back up mrlee69 and say buy Death Tank with some of your 4500 points!

TwoKill on