As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WH40K: DoW2 multiplayer thread. Now with more jailings!

• CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh its 35 pounds, not euros. I blame only one man for my error.

CanisAquilus on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait so do people who bought the game on steam get shafted for bonus shit? That's so lame. We pay the same as retail people do and we don't even get a hard copy.

Urian on
  • unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Urian wrote: »
    Wait so do people who bought the game on steam get shafted for bonus shit? That's so lame. We pay the same as retail people do and we don't even get a hard copy.

Aside from taxes of course.

unpurposed on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    unpurposed wrote: »

Aside from taxes of course.

I pay taxes on steam.

Shade on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Croak wrote: »
    Akira wrote: »
    Akira wrote: »
    And Akira, I don't know of any Steam offers at this time, they were all slated for brick and mortar stores, with the exception of the THQ Store digital download. Might want to check that version out if you want goodies and don't want a box.

Does the THQ store actually have a direct download service? All I see are redirects to online retailers.

Highly, highly, highly relevent to my interests.

What bonuses does the THQ site get? More specifically is it in part the eight unique colours?

Also <3 Croak.

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/news/show/6213
    This exclusive edition includes the ‘Artificer Wargear Set’ which features:

One additional multiplayer map – "Legis High Stratum"
    Five pieces of Wargear for use in the singleplayer campaign
    Two Unique Purity Seals
    One Unique Space Marine Chapter – "Marauders"
    Four metallic army painter colours

Looks like it might be Europe only though.

Yeah the price is listed in Euros so even if it is available outside Europe it'll be about 50% more expensive.

Yeah, about $62.00 USD, or $101,298.00 CAD.

Hey now, having lived in Vancouver and now in Calgary my whole life you and I both know its way higher then that... :P.

Also curious, did you always live in Canada or did the job at relic take you there?

TheGerbil on
  • CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm an American, came here to work at Relic and do something that wasn't an MMORPG for a change. :)

Croak on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm looking at the steam page for DOW2 and its saying the game is available Febuary 28TH, wtf is that about? I'm in China but even when I few the page through a proxy in the US it still says the 28th.

Also, should my DOW2 in steam be pre-loading? It says the Beta is now pre-loaded, but does that make any difference the non-beta listed?

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
    edited February 2009
    China is the 28th. And with the zero day patch certification coming down to the wire, we didn't have the luxury of doing a pre-load on Steam.

Croak on
    edited February 2009
    28th...ah fuck, I go back to work by then and its a saturday which is a stupid busy day followed by the one day off I get with my gf (aka no gaming :( )

Time to get steam going through the proxy again to get around the annoyances of global gaming.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    China is the 28th. And with the zero day patch certification coming down to the wire, we didn't have the luxury of doing a pre-load on Steam.
    It takes that long?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    It's China, and it has unique language localization issues as well. It takes that long.

Croak on
    edited February 2009
    I meant the patch certification thing! The notes have been out for, like, days.

Daaays.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    You would think STEAM would be smart though and realized I payed in US$ and not RMB, or the fact I'm using the US version of steam and not the chinese version...

Ah well, I've come to find being a gamer out of your own country is a HUGE hassle due to region locking and other not so fun anti-piracy measures companies are taking that do nothing but hurt real consumers.

Not to mention China's love for fucking with my connections to vent servers in other countries.

I kinda hope DOW2 does well in China, would be cool to see it in the internet cafes or play some games against the locals, though I'm doubtful that most of the internet cafes could really run the game at all.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm posting this for Croak (at least I assume you like Blood Ravens after putting them in all your games)

dawn_of_war1.jpg

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I want a game where I control that many units.

Urian on
    edited February 2009

I want to control just one of them...that fella in the top right. :)

Croak on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

TA? I had about 200 guys running around in that game, easily.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

Daaays.

It takes a week to ten days for MSFT to test a build submitted for certification. If there are failures, you have to restart the process after you fix the failures.

That said, we didn't have any failures.

We knew what we fixed, we told you what we fixed, but MSFT didn't start cert testing that build until well after we talked about it, because we didn't give it to them right then. We took a few extra days to squeeze even more fixes in, which we haven't posted yet.

Croak on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Croaky old boy, if I were to ask you when yer fine new piece o' software was gonna hit...oh, let's say...South Africa, your response would be?

Because the dipshit chain of gaming stores here has it marked as 20 March, which is either a mistake or a tragedy.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited February 2009
    It takes a week to ten days for MSFT to test a build submitted for certification. If there are failures, you have to restart the process after you fix the failures.

We knew what we fixed, we told you what we fixed, but MSFT didn't start cert testing that build until well after we talked about it, because we didn't give it to them right then. We took a few extra days to squeeze even more fixes in, which we haven't posted yet.
    MSFT are such jerks.

Jerks!

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

Daaays.

So... can you tell us what some of these fixes are or is that a no-go?

TheGerbil on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On my steam my games folder it has DoWII preloaded and says "A locked copy of Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II Beta has already been installed on your computer. Purchase it now and start playing."

I don't quite understand this. I thought the game didn't launch on steam for like another day???

Crayon on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Crayon wrote: »
    On my steam my games folder it has DoWII preloaded and says "A locked copy of Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II Beta has already been installed on your computer. Purchase it now and start playing."

I don't quite understand this. I thought the game didn't launch on steam for like another day???

I'm pretty sure since the beta is over, they locked it. For some reason it's considered pre-loaded, and if you go to the purchase page it's the DoWII beta page. So don't worry about it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2009

Also I am pretty sure the beta uses a different code so it may just be smart to uninstall that at this point.

TheGerbil on
    edited February 2009
    Has anyone heard of any places perhaps breaking the street date? I was going to hit up my local wal-mart tomorrow as they are pretty terrible about waiting for later in the week and usually putting things out on tuesday/wednesday.

Crayon on
    edited February 2009
    Has anyone heard of any places perhaps breaking the street date? I was going to hit up my local wal-mart tomorrow as they are pretty terrible about waiting for later in the week and usually putting things out on tuesday/wednesday.

Whether or not they break the street date is irrelevant i believe due to the fact all the authenticating is done over steam. So if steam says its not ready the game won't load.

TheGerbil on
    edited February 2009
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Whether or not they break the street date is irrelevant i believe due to the fact all the authenticating is done over steam. So if steam says its not ready the game won't load.

Ahhhhhh, good to know. Might as well pick up from Steam then.

Crayon on
    edited February 2009
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Ahhhhhh, good to know. Might as well pick up from Steam then.

Well if you look around certain places have different pre-order bonuses but they are mostly all cosmetic.

Some different colours, fancy wargear in single player, new chapter scheme, stuff like that.

TheGerbil on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey Croak, any idea what graphical doodads I need to turn down or off in the options menu so I can make it render entirely in DX9? Because DX10 slows my computer down so much.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it's pretty cool that you can have the game installed and read for takeoff when steams says you can. brilliant idea. should apply to consoles and all sorts to keep this cruel world fair :)

Snare on
  • StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Snare wrote: »
    I think it's pretty cool that you can have the game installed and read for takeoff when steams says you can. brilliant idea. should apply to consoles and all sorts to keep this cruel world fair :)

Its a small price to pay instead of retarded ass DRM :3

Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like it! Shame I can't do the same thing with SFIV!!!

Anyway... played this game again last night on beta, and it's so cool to have an RTS without worrying about base building! I love playing with the Eldar although as a noob I found it hard to decide what abilities to use on my support commander (sorry forgot her name) because they all seemed really subtle.

I need a good tutorial to teach me the basics!

Snare on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So what is multiplayer like compared to Company of Heroes?

I don't have much experience with the original DoW, but CoH is orgasmic.

Ant000 on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you're playing Eldar, pretty much the same as CoH.

You get your anti-tank artillery, and you park it next to the victory point.

BlackDove on
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Good luck with the release, Croak.

I'm looking at it as a buy for me, depending somewhat on the feedback about balance and stability after the day 0 patch.

I hope GFWL doesn't fuck up a good game, cause their entire system is already disappointing in so many ways for me.

Sepah on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So Croak since we're all asking you questions, can I rename my beta folder in the steam directory and skip most of the download for the full version? :)

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Croak, should we expect to have a DLC for all the pre-order crap down the pipe? Because fuck the whole running around to which store do I wanna go bullshit.

@Demi: If you notice, if you look at the Beta, it says "pre-load complete" now.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2009
    Croak, should we expect to have a DLC for all the pre-order crap down the pipe? Because fuck the whole running around to which store do I wanna go bullshit.

steamstuffvc8.jpg

And it says not released next to the actual game ;) Croak said they didn't have the luxury of a pre-load on steam but there's large files I'm hoping I might be able to keep if steam's file integrity function will just fill out the blanks.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »

steamstuffvc8.jpg

And it says not released next to the actual game ;) Croak said they didn't have the luxury of a pre-load on steam but there's large files I'm hoping I might be able to keep if steam's file integrity function will just fill out the blanks.

Man has to sleep sometime.

LET TANKRED SLEEP

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2009
    I'll be at work when the game activates, sadly, so I'm just looking for ways to make my waiting less painful when I get home :P

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png