As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tribal girl pg. 4 [NSFW]

2»

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The optimus prime picture is really awesome, I love that kind of dark hatched look!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Surrealitycheck: thanks mate. Yeah I like that allot to :)

Ok.. sooo I decided to mix a few things I have learnt since joing the forum and some of the things Scos has said in his previous post about lining things up etc.

To help me with this one I worked on the 'right brain principle' to start with drawing the image upside down until i was happy with the position of the shapes. I did find this helped me see lines more clearly and position on the page but I was unable to really put in detail while it was upside down. So yeah then I flipped it the right way, finished it off and then added a little more with the horizontals flipped just to get that third 'look' on what I was drawing. I am also trying to use as bigger brush as possible. This drawing took me maybe just over an hour.

I chose to do the werewolf off underworld for a few reasons, one is that the colour pallet isn't huge and I don't think i have the colours down and also it was a high contrast drawing which made it easier to see the shapes involved. Unlike the Pulp Fiction one I spent a bit more time laying out the drawing before even attempting detail :)

I think the results are pritty good but as usual I would love for criticism. I know I have a long way to go before I am good and I am using every push you guys give me to help me get there:) I appreciate you guys on this forum allot :D

Original
    Underworld-Evolution-Screensaver_1.png
    My drawing
    Underworld_warewolf_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited February 2009
    Update*

Here is the underworld poster I just drew. Took just over an hour again. Do you think its getting muddy again? I kind of found this brush that I like with low flow but it makes the edges a little umm rough.

Original
    UnderworldCover.jpg

My drawing
    Underworld_poster_speed_paint_by_Leggraphics.jpg

lol lol lol I just noticed that I have made her fatter, lowered her knee on the right and stuff. Quick call Jenny Craig

Leggraphics on
    edited February 2009
    ok ok. I'm sure I have posted way to many things already but here is a drawing I just did.

I used a few different reference photos to try to get the perspective right. The forshortening is really hard and I know I dont have the hands right yet. I am going to find and do a study on hands I think because I have so much trouble. So.. I tried to keep the light source consistant for this drawing. Can I please get a critique.

girl_mask_by_Leggraphics.jpg
    Thanks

Dom

Leggraphics on
  • UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited February 2009
    Legg! You're really improving. The wolf from Underworld is a really good example of your dedication to doing studies and improving. The foreshortening on this last portrait you did seems to be what's throwing it off, but I can't really tell without the original picture you were using.

Right now, it seems like the girl's head is HUGE rather than coming towards us. You said you used several pictures for reference- that might be the problem if you started combining perspectives from one picture to the other.

Post your reference to make it easier to work this out.

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it maybe that you applied foreshortening to the head but not to the rest of the body. The hands are equal in size yet the difference between head and shoulders would dictate a much greater difference in size between the shoulders and legs (including the hand rested on the leg) You could consider using perspective lines to help shore this up.

Mustang on
    edited February 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I think it maybe that you applied foreshortening to the head but not to the rest of the body. The hands are equal in size yet the difference between head and shoulders would dictate a much greater difference in size between the shoulders and legs (including the hand rested on the leg) You could consider using perspective lines to help shore this up.

ok silly question but how would you use perspective lines on this? im familier with like 2 point perspective drawings and one point with buildings and landscapes. Would i put the point like above the head and work as a triangle down ?

Leggraphics on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Short answer would be to treat the body as a series of (or as being enclosed in) boxes, which you would apply the appropriate perspectve (with the vanishing point below the person, not above).

crawdaddio on
    edited February 2009
    Yup, treat the body like a building, a really weird fucked up incredibly complicated looking building with arms and legs and shit.

Mustang on
    edited February 2009
    LOL..

Ill give it my best shot hahha

*EDIT*
    ok I made the legs smaller and changed the angle on them a little more then made them a little lighter to take the eyes off them.
    mmm its on its way. I think ill come back to this one another day. I have to get cracking on my flash website so I can get a job haha :D

Still dont understand how to do perspective properly on a person. I think I am going to have to look this one up.

foreshortening_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can apply perspective to a person by simplifying the figure into basic shapes, and applying the perspective to that.

For example, you could imagine the whole torso to be a cylinder, then apply the proper perspective/foreshortening to the cylinder, and re apply the details of the musculature. Same applies with appendages.

Sublimus on
    edited February 2009
    Just for example, I like to break the torso into three seperate pieces; a potatoe shape for the chest and ribs, a small sphere for the abdominal and an orange with a bite out of the base for the pelvis. I find breaking up the torso helps me find more dynamic poses. Everyone is different what shapes they like to use, but it's always good to experiment and find something that works for you.

Try finding a copy of Imagine FX magazine, there's a few places around Adelaide that stock it. The current issue has a pretty good tutorial on the arm that will give you a better idea of how to apply perspective to body parts. It's $20 an issue, but it's usually worth the money.

Mustang on
    edited February 2009
    ahh ok sooo I kinda gave up the flash website for an hour and decided to draw some more. I was trying to pay allot of attention on the lighting and depth in this one as I have had trouble with the depth in landscapes and lighting before. SO yeah criticism welcome. It took about an hours drawing time. No references used

Dragon_and_baby_by_Leggraphics.jpg

*things I've noticed I will fix*
    Girl is missing her index finger. loll.. funny that no one has noticed that and the dragons wing seems to of ended up upside down sort of thing.. i was trying to move it out of the way of the baby but it has ended up bad so I am going to angle it down. I kind of like the dog look to the face of it but it has been sugested that maybe I make it look more evil and make the rattle i have put as its tail like a rattle snake more obvious, maybe even have the babies arm reaching out to it.

Leggraphics on
    edited February 2009
    OK. SO!

Here is my revision of this dragon drawing as well as colouring it and fixing a few things that I thought was wrong with it.

Critiques please. I think I'm improving in general and I wanted to try the use of colour in this one and hopefully get it in the most part right. I probably shouldnt of chosen a sunset as it made the colours harder but yahh.
    dragon_teasing_baby_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited February 2009
    I think you could definately stand to do some simple perspetive excercises, your background is seriously whacked out there and killing the rest of the image.

Mustang on
    edited February 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I think you could definately stand to do some simple perspetive excercises, your background is seriously whacked out there and killing the rest of the image.

mm thanks Ill find some tutes and do some studies. The baby and dragon are ment to be like on a ledge or an outcrop and everything else is spost to be in the far distance... mm the angle of the outcrop I think shows the background should be allot higher and less sky. I wont touch it I guess until I do some tutes

Leggraphics on
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    It's blurry and fuzzy as hell still.

I would suggest using larger more opaque brushes

Fabricate on
    edited February 2009
    _sunset-dragon-baby.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited February 2009
    Better.

Mustang on
    edited February 2009
    Thanks. god weekends are so long :( so much work and stuff. Really wish I could draw full time . Need to get allot better mmm

Leggraphics on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    you are compartmentalizing your values. Rending each local shape with the full value range, and I do not think this is what you intend.

Using stamp brushes is fine, but the way youve used that grass brush isnt working. Think of the grass in terms of a big shape and then use the stamp to pop in a few details where necessary.

Kendeathwalker on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well you've finally managed to not make it fuzzy, but it's still pretty rough.

As ken mentioned, the grass brush is not working. Stay away from specialized fancy brushes like that until you know how to use them properly. You don't yet.

The color is still all off. I again recommend you hold back on color until you have a better grasp of values. Even astute colors choices laid atop bad values will look off, bad colors on bad values just ends up being indecipherable.

The anatomy on that creature is a mess, further aggravated by you not fully understanding how the light is hitting it, and I think you yourself probably are not totally clear on the creature design. It looks sort of silly anyway, like some kind of cobra with smokey the fire-prevention bear's face. I don't know if it's your intention, but all your dragons look a little goofy, one on the last page being decidedly pig-like.

The baby isn't convincing either, it looks like a doll, and actually is pretty creepy.

Have you been doing any life drawing lately?

Scosglen on
    edited February 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »

As ken mentioned, the grass brush is not working. Stay away from specialized fancy brushes like that until you know how to use them properly. You don't yet.

I think I agree with both you and Kendeathwalker on the stamp brush situation. I tried to add it in to add the detail of the grass and save time but it was always going to be a shortcut. Ill try for a more straight look with maybe a few toughs of grass.
    The color is still all off. I again recommend you hold back on color until you have a better grasp of values. Even astute colors choices laid atop bad values will look off, bad colors on bad values just ends up being indecipherable.

I agree with this comment but I have trouble getting the true values out with just black and white. Everything doesn't stand out and look like it belongs to each other. Like the tail in the black and white didn't look like it belonged to the dragon in the first place. The colour kind of allowed the viewer to realise it was part of the dragon. But maybe it shouldn't need that which is the anatomy point you were making.
    The anatomy on that creature is a mess, further aggravated by you not fully understanding how the light is hitting it, and I think you yourself probably are not totally clear on the creature design. It looks sort of silly anyway, like some kind of cobra with smokey the fire-prevention bear's face. I don't know if it's your intention, but all your dragons look a little goofy, one on the last page being decidedly pig-like.

Light- I kind of agree- I tried to make it simple and make it come from one direction and I think in most part the lighting is corrrect. I know the colours make it hard but could you give me more info on where lighting looks wrong?.

As for the 'silly' dragons - yes i do that on purpose. I dont try for a Jurassic park scary look. I want my own sort of style and I did add a goofy sort of nose to this dragon on purpose just to see what would happen. How it would look and if something with a silly nose could still be made to have a sort of evil character. Its in the nose mostly as I make them round rather than more reptile, I get that but as i said that is a choice I make. I am intent on trying for a more realistic look now though. By realistic i mean more Jurrasic park dinosaur look rather than something with a lion/dogs sort of nose. There are lots of myths with dragons such as eagle claws, snakes eyes, lions mouth etc and I like to have fun with that in drawing my dragons.
    The baby isn't convincing either, it looks like a doll, and actually is pretty creepy.

Have you been doing any life drawing lately?

No - I haven't done 'any' true life drawing and I am still looking for classes in Adelaide, night courses preferably if anyone knows of any? I have to say I really want this as my profession, I'm not ready to give up yet and I am willing to wait a few years as I really only just started to draw about 6 months ago but I am getting to the point that I think I need to do something else until I get a job in this. Trouble is I am an all-rounder and have never specialized in anything really and it makes it hard...

If any of you have any information for me that may help, I understand that feedback is help but I mean in terms of career goals, steps and progressions I should be taking all would be really good. Even just a chat to someone about it all could answer some questions.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. It can hit deep sometimes but it is all positive and helping me get better and I need allot of improvement to cut the mustard...

Leggraphics on
    edited March 2009
    Can I get some feedback on this WIP before I go anyfurther. Thanks :)

I've never really done a cityscape before and I wanted to give it a shot
    Alien_attack_in_progress_2_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What the hell??? As if i havn't seen this thread before!!!

Some really good stuff. Nice tonal studies overall. That latest one is looking good so far. I think you should change the composition of the image to be a little more wider. The pic seems to enclosed. Its like watching old VHS movies. Compared to DVD widescreen films, going back to VHS seems so tight.

E.g.
    haha. please forgive my dodgy skills :)
    z73p3.jpg

Also, check out DesperateRobots thread. He knows how to set up good, interesting compositions. really inspiring i think. (BTW, i'm not trying to kiss ass here)

winter_combat_knight on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2009
    in a scape that size the robot shouldn't be all the way off to the left

Tube on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I agree. Unless you're going to be putting more robuts in there, you shouldn't leave the center of the composition devoid of action.

Tam on
    edited March 2009
    Thanks guys. Nice suggestions. Kind of interested that nothing came up about the lighting. I think I mostly fixed the perspective issues and I have been putting allot of brain power into making sure the lighting is consistent so I am assuming it is paying off so far.

In the mean time I've been practicing drawing female legs lol.. one body part at a time :p. Well.. Im trying to get my brush work and tone better so I may as well start with a long section of the body.

Kinda NSFW but there isnt any anatomy parts
    leg_practice_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited March 2009
    1 hour (so far) jessica Alba portrait.
    alba_portrait_WIP_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited March 2009
    I am still giving the jessica alba picture a bit of time before I go back to finishing it.

Here is an old drawing of mine that I am currently fixing, making less blury and hopefully allot better. Sugestions, critiques all good at this point. Im thinking maybe a wider canvas might be in call... ?
    waterdragon_wip_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    where's the light source coming from? in some spots it looks like upper right, in others the upper left

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2009
    oh bugga. your very right. LoL. I think I flipped the image horizontally and then kept putting in the light sorce from the same angle ..

Leggraphics on
    edited March 2009
    Still a work in progress, cant get the hand right
    Annet_2_by_Leggraphics.jpg
    Annet_3_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not sure that girl's got any ribs...also, the breasts are a bit too...spherical; I think you've improved quite a bit since your earliest posts, but there's still, I feel, a great deal about anatomical structure that you ought to learn. I imagine there's a pretty fair chance you've seen it, but just in case you haven't, you should take a look at Wakkawa's DA gallery (NSFW, of course); it's got great application of female anatomy which may help inform or inspire your drawings.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    I'm not sure that girl's got any ribs...also, the breasts are a bit too...spherical; I think you've improved quite a bit since your earliest posts, but there's still, I feel, a great deal about anatomical structure that you ought to learn. I imagine there's a pretty fair chance you've seen it, but just in case you haven't, you should take a look at Wakkawa's DA gallery (NSFW, of course); it's got great application of female anatomy which may help inform or inspire your drawings.

Thanks mate, Yeah The image is based on an original manga sort of drawing so I guess the body shape is based more off a cartoon. I couldnt get my head around the body as I started off doing a sort of cartoon look and then I reverted back to more realistic for the face so I started going back over the body... bah.. I can see she doesnt have ribs now haha and i agree. breasts are wayyy to round and big really :S

EDIT
    Given her some ribs as well as fixed some proportion issues. Still not quite there
    warrior_girl_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on