As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New comic 2/18

• CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    And I've always wanted to be a ninja.

Nin nin nin <3

narutard.jpg

Oh god I didn't notice his eyes until like 10 seconds later and burst out laughing.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    AWESOME.

sarukun on
    edited February 2009
    Hey, look at that, titties.

sarukun on
    edited February 2009
    What are you holding out on us saru or did you just see the comic

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    that chimney also raped a bear

THAT BEAR WAS MY FATHER!

And thus, the circle of life is complete.
    you were supposed to just say DIS! :x

:?:

Lucky Cynic on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    sarukun wrote: »

that's what i said!

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    edited February 2009

Comic.

sarukun on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

THAT BEAR WAS MY FATHER!

spidey02.jpg

a much funnier comic then this one, it turns out

Clint Eastwood on
    edited February 2009

that's what i said!

Great minds, bro.

sarukun on
    edited February 2009

Comic.

you suck, give us boobs.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited February 2009

THAT BEAR WAS MY FATHER!

spidey02.jpg

Man I never even saw that.

Okay, next time.

Next time.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

THAT BEAR WAS MY FATHER!

snip

Okay, next time.

Next time.
    spidey05.jpg

with that I am done going off on a tangent. this new comic was pretty funny although I feel it would be improved with some background paintings. the art has been my favorite thing about the strip lately so it's kind of disappointing to see a stark white background. i'm nitpicking.

Clint Eastwood on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yo the girl in the middle is totally a mixy, so its half racist. And if you've played the demo you know you shoot white South Africans too

Also the spiderman edit comics are pretty much better than every comic ever
    DIS!

Franko on
  • SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't seem to find the full blog of that crazy lady who was ranting how racist RE5 was. She was a barrel full of crazy; it was a delightful read.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    took me until the end of this thread to figure out that this comic is referencin' RE5

last panel was pretty racist, I'll admit!

Obbi on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

THAT BEAR WAS MY FATHER!

snip

Okay, next time.

Next time.

with that I am done going off on a tangent. this new comic was pretty funny although I feel it would be improved with some background paintings. the art has been my favorite thing about the strip lately so it's kind of disappointing to see a stark white background. i'm nitpicking.

It was an artistic decision to make it look like choosing between diagrams

It also allowed Gabe to be lazy. The best artistic decisions always do.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited February 2009
    I bet this one will have a good newspost.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    L-I-M-P LIMP BIZKIT RIGHT HERE!

Blake T on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is it me or are the black zombie guys eyes aimed slightly downward in the second panel?

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • biscuittoothbiscuittooth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    on closer inspection the robot appears to be brandishing a hair dryer.

biscuittooth on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The second panel should be Louis from Left 4 Dead pointing a gun at a white zombie.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    she is actually black african

just hollywood black

Nuzak on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the mantis just wants to give the robot a hug. :(

JoeUser on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love this comic.

As for the topic at hand, I think people forgot the definition of racism and simply cry foul anytime someone shoots someone with dark skin tone.

They should have made a story arc where the entire population of Africa turns into mantis because people are stupid.

Meiz on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Phonehand wrote: »
    isn't she some kind of latin

Possibly, but there's no Sharpie on her belt to prove it absolutely.

SeñorAmor on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Meiz wrote: »
    I love this comic.

As for the topic at hand, I think people forgot the definition of racism and simply cry foul anytime someone shoots someone with dark skin tone.

They should have made a story arc where the entire population of Africa turns into mantis because people are stupid.

The way I see it, it's not that the game is racist or that OMG CAPCOM ARE A BUNCHA RACISTS! But that the game itself does reportedly contain a lot of racist imagery, and that's just asking for trouble.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited February 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    I love this comic.

The way I see it, it's not that the game is racist or that OMG CAPCOM ARE A BUNCHA RACISTS! But that the game itself does reportedly contain a lot of racist imagery, and that's just asking for trouble.

I don't remember Spain getting their collective pantaloons in a bunch over WASP-Knight Kennedy gunning down Iberians in RE4.

Then again one of my favorite movies is Blazing Saddles.

So maybe I'm just trying to legitimize my racism.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    edited February 2009
    I love this comic.

I don't remember Spain getting their collective pantaloons in a bunch over WASP-Knight Kennedy gunning down Iberians in RE4.

Then again one of my favorite movies is Blazing Saddles.

So maybe I'm just trying to legitimize my racism.

I don't remember average everyday Spaniards being portrayed as savages, but hey, maybe I blinked.

And a quote, for reference
    One of the first things you see in the game, seconds after taking control of Chris Redfield, is a gang of African men brutally beating something in a sack. Animal or human, it's never revealed, but these are not infected Majini. There are no red bloodshot eyes. These are ordinary Africans, who stop and stare at you menacingly as you approach. Since the Majini are not undead corpses, and are capable of driving vehicles, handling weapons and even using guns, it makes the line between the infected monsters and African civilians uncomfortably vague. Where Africans are concerned, the game seems to be suggesting, bloodthirsty savagery just comes with the territory.

Later on, there's a cut-scene of a white blonde woman being dragged off, screaming, by black men. When you attempt to rescue her, she's been turned and must be killed. If this has any relevance to the story it's not apparent in the first three chapters, and it plays so blatantly into the old clichés of the dangerous "dark continent" and the primitive lust of its inhabitants that you'd swear the game was written in the 1920s. That Sheva neatly fits the approved Hollywood model of the light-skinned black heroine, and talks more like Lara Croft than her thickly-accented foes, merely compounds the problem rather than easing it. There are even more outrageous and outdated images to be found later in the game, stuff that I was honestly surprised to see in 2009, but Capcom has specifically asked that details of these scenes remain under wraps for now, whether for these reasons we don't know.

There will be plenty of people who refuse to see anything untoward in this material. "It wasn't racist when the enemies were Spanish in Resident Evil 4," goes the argument, but then the Spanish don't have the baggage of being stereotyped as subhuman animals for the past two hundred years. It's perfectly possible to use Africa as the setting for a powerful and troubling horror story, but when you're applying the concept of people being turned into savage monsters onto an actual ethnic group that has long been misrepresented as savage monsters, it's hard to see how elements of race weren't going to be a factor.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I love this comic.

In what way?

Do you just mean, the game reportedly contains a lot of black people who are zombies? Or is there, like, gollywog zombies and minstrel zombies and black-faced white zombies?

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited February 2009
    I love this comic.

In what way?

Do you just mean, the game reportedly contains a lot of black people who are zombies? Or is there, like, gollywog zombies and minstrel zombies and black-faced white zombies?

What I just quoted above your post is what I'm referring to.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love this comic.

In what way?

Probably see some zombies with gold chains, baggy pants and bottle of Colt .45, sitting on a porch. Black people go like this... white people go like this.

I think the last panel is racist if that robot is a member of a self-perpetuating robot/cyborg collective. Like.. if he was borg and that was Species 8675309, it would probably be racist, or speciesist. Something..

Astraphobia on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Reminds me of those old playstation ads, where it had the black woman and white woman wrestling.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love this comic.

Again, go read a book called "the history of Africa" and stop being so stupid.

Meiz on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Isn't the female partner just a light-skinned African, not Latina?

edit: this may have been covered already

Grey Ghost on
    edited February 2009
    I love this comic.

But that would take time and the discussion is here now and don't call someone stupid just because they disagree with you.

Why not tell me why I'm stupid, rather than just be a dick?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am racist against damn dirty zombies. And mantises.

And Negroes.

KalTorak on
    edited February 2009
    I love this comic.

But that would take time and the discussion is here now and don't call someone stupid just because they disagree with you.

Why not tell me why I'm stupid, rather than just be a dick?

Yeah, can you give us some bullet points here Meiz, because I'm wondering what is in this book that explains how what Darleysam quoted emphatically isn't racist. Is dragging white women around and beating sacks a traditional African thing or what?

I mean, I'm not saying that it definitely is racist - tbh, it sounds like standard civilisation has collapsed and people are really monsters after all stuff, just happens to be black people which uhoh have been portrayed as monsters when they weren't but depending on how they handled it, it could just be racism - but still, curious about this book.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited February 2009
    Africa is a pretty horrible place, though, in quite a few areas.

I was once advised by a Kenyan that if you ever see a prominent African politician get on your flight in central Africa to get the fuck off the plane.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Playing the RE5 demo made me want to throw my controller to the ground and stomp on it as if I had just noticed it was a deadly, giant scorpion

#pipe on
    edited February 2009
    Of course, I don't really know much about the setting either. If they are just portraying an accurate backdrop of an African country in the midsts of a civil war then fair enough.

I mean, was Blood Diamond racist? Was that 24 pre-season mini-movie racist? Even although they both depict Africans behaving in pretty monstrous fashions? Or is that just a fictional representation of factually accurate every-day occurrences in some African countries?

Szechuanosaurus on
This discussion has been closed.