As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No hours at work, what to do

override367override367 ALL minionsRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm off the schedule for 2 weeks at a time, and the weeks I work I get 10 hours. My boss has said I can quit but if I do once hours pick up in the summer I might not get rehired.

I applied for unemployment today,, is there anything else anyone can suggest? I live in a tiny town with no work and live with my mom, who I pay rent to, and who will kick me out if I can't make ends meet.

What about welfare? Normally I would rather stab myself in the foot at even thinking about it but would I qualify for that? I'm 24 and my income at present is between $0 and $70 a paycheck.

override367 on

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would try getting a second job. I mean if you have a car it can't be far to the nearest wal-mart and their always hiring people if you don't mind the work.

Bucketman on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are you in school presently? If so, why not increase your hours there, that way you can graduate faster?

urahonky on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yea I'm gonna go with "get a second job at least until summer."

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is this situation likely to change? what are your options in this town? Did you go to college?

If you didn't go to college, you may very well wish to, well, go to college. You can get loans that would cover tuition plus room + board, allowing you to get away from your shitty situation while you work towards bettering your future career prospects. I'm pretty sure every state has a state university in a relatively large town, large enough for you to start living your life on your own.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I currently owe $6000 to devry after 1 year, the school was technically located out of state, their financial advisor was... well lying about what I'd get. I got nothing, not a loan not a grant (well a $1600 grant for my mom not qualifying as a cosigner, but I never received that money, apparently Devry did but they deny it), now if I get loans going to a local school it will go to Devry because of the master promisary note I signed.

I have applied at literally every business in town, nobody is hiring, not even wal-mart. My car is in pretty piss poor shape and I can't get it fixed, but I've been looking out of town as well with little success. This place is a tourist town so during the winter during normal economic conditions there isn't much work.

Edit: going back over my financial aid shit my EFC was really high (thats what they use to determine financial aid), I just resubmitted the thing and now it's coming up zero, I guess it's because I was young enough where they looked at my parents (my mom makes about $50,000 a year, but is overdrawn every paycheck so she can't exactly pay for me to go to school)... maybe when this thing processes in a few days I'll actually be able to get a loan I could maybe pay devry off then but, then I'd have to go out of pocket

override367 on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I currently owe $6000 to devry after 1 year, the school was technically located out of state, their financial advisor was... well lying about what I'd get. I got nothing, not a loan not a grant (well a $1600 grant for my mom not qualifying as a cosigner, but I never received that money, apparently Devry did but they deny it), now if I get loans going to a local school it will go to Devry because of the master promisary note I signed.

I have applied at literally every business in town, nobody is hiring, not even wal-mart. My car is in pretty piss poor shape and I can't get it fixed, but I've been looking out of town as well with little success. This place is a tourist town so during the winter during normal economic conditions there isn't much work.

Edit: going back over my financial aid shit my EFC was really high (thats what they use to determine financial aid), I just resubmitted the thing and now it's coming up zero, I guess it's because I was young enough where they looked at my parents (my mom makes about $50,000 a year, but is overdrawn every paycheck so she can't exactly pay for me to go to school)... maybe when this thing processes in a few days I'll actually be able to get a loan I could maybe pay devry off then but, then I'd have to go out of pocket

Well if you got a loan that went to Devry, and Devry says they never got it....well if it was a government unsubsidised loan...they can track if it was cashed and by who. And by they I mean the government/FAFSA/The Loan Company. So I'd get on that.

Bucketman on
  • Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Have you tried temp agencies?

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Government (in Australia) im sure its the same everywhere will top up funds if you are not earning $850 every two weeks. Worth joining that for a start. Use your free time to do what you need to better yourself to get your next job. Apply for jobs. Work at what you need to get better at what you do or what you want to do.

Leggraphics on