As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Daggerfall! Part 9: In Which We Steal (And Fight Walls) [NSF56K, NSFW]

MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
The Elder Scrolls games. A series of four (soon to be five, if Bethesda's rumblings have any truth to them) excellent computer Role Playing Games, all set in the Empire of Tamriel, made up of one continent of the world of Nirn.

Many of you know of the third and fourth installations in this series, Morrowind and Oblivion. The other two, however, are almost lost to the sands of time. Many ages ago, when Bethesda was it's own entity, they released the first two installments. One of these is Arena, released in 1994,which can be downloaded free of charge from their site.

The other was released in 1996, and is known as...

fall_000.png
daggerfa_screen002.jpg
daggerfall-733422.jpg

Welcome to Let's Play Buggerfa-- I mean Daggerfall, the rather glitchy second installment of the Elder Scrolls series. As a note, I will be using a save game editor for a few things (namely, an item of Recall if we're not playing a mage), but those uses will be few and far between. Cheatmode will be on, as the game is nearly unplayable witout it. Also, I WOULD use Andyfall, but Andyfall and DOSBox seem to hate each other, so this is a vanilla playthrough. Which will take ages. If the save file doesn't corrupt itself.

UPDATES
Part 1: Privateer's Hold, Round 1
Part 2: Privateer's Hold, Round 1.5
Part 3: Privateer's Hold, Round 2
Part 4: Privateer's Hold, Round FINAL
Part 5: THE THIEVING.
Part 6: The Leaving.
Part 7: A Fork in the Road
Part 8: A Spork in the Road
Part 9: In Which We Steal (And Fight Walls)

Race:

fall_001.png

The races come from the different areas of Tamriel, as shown on the map above. The races are as follows (with descriptions):

Dark Elves
hail from the province of Morrowind. You are part of a tall, dark-skinned people, known to be extremely strong, intelligent, and quick. They are extremely versatile in all manners of skills and well-known as warriors and mages.

Archetype:
I say ARCHETYPE, not CLASS. I'll try to focus on one archetype, but in Daggerfall, as in all the other Elder Scrolls games, attempting to play a "pure" archetype leads to destruction and un-fun. If you don't believe me, go play a pure mage in Morrowind or Oblivion (No mods, now)

Thieves
are well known for their adeptness in using stealth, speed, and cunning to steal for a living. They rely on agility, speed, and skulduggery to survive, lacking the magical artillery of the Mage and the combat prowess of the Warrior.

Alignment:
This will mainly affect the guilds I'll allow myself to join, and the tone of the narration.

Neutral characters are the middle-ground, sometimes doing good, sometimes doing bad, depending on the situation and how they feel.

And a final note: The NSFW tag comes from rude titties (which will be black-boxed out with the almighty power of MSPaint) scantily clad women, and piles of heads on the ground.

LET THE VOTING BEGIN. I'll start once there's a pretty strong majority for one idea.

MechMantis on

• bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Neutral Dark Elf Thief

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Evil Wood Elf Warrior

urahonky on
  • Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ahem, I do believe you're forgetting Battlespire and Redguard, though they were departures from the traditional series :P. Character, everyone always seems to go for an unconventional combination in these Lets Plays but I wouldn't mind seeing a traditional Breton Mage, maybe with a neutral alignment?

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Evil Dark Elf Thief

Cause being evil means you get to fuckup someones day.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How about a neutral character who just happens to exist in a state of perpetual seething rage?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I found this game a while ago, and wanted to play it so bad. It looks and sounds amazing. I just found it so horribly buggy that it was unplayable. I'd get maybe thirty minutes of gameplay in before the save file got corrupted.

It's too bad. What I did play was quite enjoyable. I hope that some sort of community project in the future finds a way to fix the issues.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is this going to be a snarky, funny LP or a serious role-playing one? I ask because the answer affects my vote significantly.

Vincent Grayson on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is this going to be a snarky, funny LP or a serious role-playing one? I ask because the answer affects my vote significantly.

This.

Also, playing a straight warrior or mage in Daggerfall isn't actually that bad. The straight thief, however, makes Daggerfall about the hardest game you'll ever play.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yay, Daggerfall! I've played this for probably 15 hours in my life, but only little bits at a time.
    bobmyknob wrote: »
    Neutral Dark Elf Thief
    I like this, sera. Be a jerky ashlander though.
    MechMantis wrote: »
    If you don't believe me, go play a pure mage in Morrowind or Oblivion (No mods, now)

Eheheheh. I almost got killed by a few Kwama foragers once I ran out of magicka.

piL on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Small, slightly off topic question.

How is Arena? I've seen that it's apparently available free now, and that it's quite a bit more stable.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game was the best 2 dollars I ever spent at a thrift store.
    980854048-00.jpg

How could any 10 year old pass up that boxart?

Also, if this is a non-serious playthrough, you should totally become a were-piggy.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have this. Never made it out of the beginning dungeon. Basically I took off all fo my clothes and got eaten by rats.

JJ on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    This game was the best 2 dollars I ever spent at a thrift store.
    980854048-00.jpg

How could any 10 year old pass up that boxart?

Also, if this is a non-serious playthrough, you should totally become a were-piggy.

I dunno, my 10 year old self could pass up a MobyGames box pretty easily.

And as to snarkiness, depending on the bug-level/frustration, it could be serious RP or snarky commentary. Evil characters will be snarkier by nature, good characters more serious.

MechMantis on
  • hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man I spent so much time playing this game and not even doing the main quest. I was like 12 when I use to play this game and I totally just gave up on the main quest but just loved going around doing everything else. I never made it through arena either the dungeons with the staff pieces were so confusing it just melted my young mind.

Oh and one vote for a Neutral Khajiit Thief.

( I love this game WAY too much I loaned it to a friend and he rolled over the CD with his chair and broke it in two =( )

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You sir are a brave, brave man.

One more for neutral dark elf thief.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I vote for whatever option leads to the most snarkiness.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    abotkin wrote: »

This. The Morrowind LP someone started the other day is already boring as shit because it just reads like bad fan-fiction, but with screenshots.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited February 2009
    Looks like I'm playing a Snarky Dark Elf thief of undetermined gender. WHAT DOES THE COIN OF DESTINY SAY?!
    heads=male, tails=female

AND THE COIN OF DESTINY SAYS TAILS.

MechMantis on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh man, I wasted way too much time as a kid playing this game.

So much fun.

Looking forward to this.

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2009

This. The Morrowind LP someone started the other day is already boring as shit because it just reads like bad fan-fiction, but with screenshots.

Yeah, I pretty much agree.

piL on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    piL wrote: »

Yeah, I pretty much agree.

:lol:

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I demand there be wackiness in this.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    you should be a bumbling thief that always tries to sneak around but fails spectacularly, so you have to fall back on your incredible mastery of magic, which nobody knows you have.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2009
    Guys. I am the best Daggerfall player ever. I go through HALF of Privateer's Hold, screenshotting all the way...

and then I quit without saving.

LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN.

EDIT: Well, in retrospect, I saved Daggerfall the trouble of corrupting the save file by not creating one! emot-v.png

Update is on it's way.

MechMantis on
  • hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a feeling this first half is going to consist of a lot of falling through the world and getting stuck on walls :lol:

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hdenton wrote: »
    I have a feeling this first half is going to consist of a lot of ghost form and paralysis :lol:

Fixed for in-character chat..?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited February 2009
    A condensed version of character generation.

How to make a Dark Elf capable of surviving the starting dungeon:

fall_002.png
    fall_003.png
    fall_004.png
    fall_005.png

fall_006.png
    fall_006.png
    fall_006.png
    fall_006.png

(I would lime this image if I could. It's that important. You see ebony, you click it.)

fall_007.png

This concludes a condensed version of character generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh24sXlxY8s

(Pardon the soundskip, but you get the idea.)

fall_008.png
    fall_009.png

(Phhhht, no.)

ZabaPort.png Oooow fuck my head. Still hurts, even though I just slept for a while.

fall_011.png

ZabaPort.png Fucking landslide.

fall_012.png

ZabaPort.png What's this?

fall_013.png

ZabaPort.png This leads deeper into the shore... and possibly to an exit. No sense starving here. On we go! But I feel like I have something in my extra-dimensional pocket that people explain away as a backpack! Because no backpack can carry some 160 pounds in random gear, that'd be silly! I just hope no one's listening, or else I'm RUINED.

fall_014.png

ZabaPort.png How fortuitous! The ebony dagger from my childhood is in my extra-dimenio--I mean backpack! Along with an iron longsword (Traaash) and some iron plate gauntlets! SCORE!

fall_015.png

ZabaPort.png Oh this is total bullshit. I can't wear plate. Cause I'm an Ashlander. Oh well. Away it goes, along with that worthless iron longsword. Mooooving right along...

fall_016.png

ZabaPort.png Oh dear. A wall of a different color in a doorframe. That CAN'T be a secret door.

fall_017.png

ZabaPort.png IT WAS A SECRET DOOR! OH FRABJUS DAY! CALLOOH, CALLAY! ...Look here a rat!
    fall_018.png

ZabaPort.png A DEAD rat.

fall_019.png

ZabaPort.png Oh hey, here's some loot!

fall_020.png

ZabaPort.png SCORE.

fall_021.png

ZabaPort.png Rats and bats and elephants maybe?

fall_022.png

ZabaPort.png Are these things rabid or something? Red eyes and all?

fall_023.png

ZabaPort.png Bat goes splat! Now to loot it!

fall_024.png

ZabaPort.png:( Fine. Moving on then. I think there's a door ahead.

fall_025.png

ZabaPort.png OH BY THE EIGHT DIVINES AN IMP!

fall_026.png

ZabaPort.png I got lucky.

fall_027.png
    fall_028.png
    fall_029.png

ZabaPort.png Got a decent amount of loot, moving on...

fall_034.png
    fall_035.png

ZabaPort.png Rat goes splat, too! For some reason I feel like I'm killing rotworms or something. No idea what a rotworm is... I just have that feeling.

fall_036.png

ZabaPort.png Hrm. Stairs down. SEEMS SHADY.

fall_037.png

ZabaPort.png It can't be friendly, this is a dungeon.

fall_038.png

ZabaPort.png BACKSTAB, FETCHER!

fall_039.png

ZabaPort.png By the Cliffs of Solitude, yes!

fall_040.png
    fall_041.png

ZabaPort.png I HAVE ARMOR AND MORE LOOT.

fall_042.png

ZabaPort.png And a pile of heads. This seems like a good place to take a rest.

fall_043.png
    fall_044.png
    fall_045.png

MechMantis on
    edited February 2009
    2qsc8eg.jpg

Great job so far, looking forward to seeing how this goes since I never did get as far into Daggerfall as I'd like to have. I think the head on the left looks like Tycho--Cameo!

Hey, you didn't take any language skills!

piL on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Straight Wizard is ticket to easy mode in this game.

Hybrids are actually more fun, but man you can cheese the shit out of this game with the right spells.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    An LP of Daggerfall. This is good, now I don't have to do one. The Morrowind LP got me to fire this back up, and it's neat to see other people giving it a shot.

Dartboy on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game was so good to have as a teenager.

In what other game can you run around as a hot nekkid elf chick killing random people, flying, stealing shit, turn into a vampire, and still not do a lick of the main quest?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited February 2009
    piL wrote: »

Hey, you didn't take any language skills!

I was THINKING about adding a Linguist archetype.

But then I remembered how much I love life, and how playing a Linguist would make me commit suicide.

MechMantis on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The best part about Daggerfall was that you could actually climb up walls. No matter what character I started out making, it always evolved into some kind of cat burglar, attempting to climb up into people's attics and steal their belongings.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, climbing was definitely the first skill I missed upon starting Morrowind.

joshofalltrades on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FFFFFFFFF

when I was in high school and started playing EverQuest I met up with some other high schooler in the game who would talk endlessly about daggerfall. from his descriptions it was the BEST GAME EVER.

the closest I ever got was Morrowind, many years after EQ had replaced the blood in my veins.

I am looking forward to this.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm looking forward to this too.
    I've always tried to play daggerfall, but it performed awfully through dosbox (on reflection it would have been much better to use Virtual PC to create a dos enviroment)

I wish more games would make use of procedually(randomly in this case?) generated enviroment; preferably without the hardcore generic and inane problems daggerfall has with it.

Magitek on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mechmantis, that made me giggle more than it probably should have. Continue, please!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I.... remember this game. A friend came over and just sat in the corner and played it anytime me and other friends would play MUDs.

I'm pretty sure we asked him to join in on the fun, but he just say there. Playin' his game.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A++ would read again. Keep a Crash To Desktop tally. Are you going to use walkthroughs for the story dungeons or are you some kind of superhuman?

TVs_Frank on
    edited February 2009
    I'm using the latest patch, so the game is actually pretty stable. And as for story dungeons, as long as I don't come across the dreaded Error 2, I'll probably run through em mostly blind, only using [ and ] to get to places if I am absolutely lost.

MechMantis on