As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Then we were Ziggy's [chat]

1414243444547»

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I got so molested that night
    What can I say your hairy striptease is so appealing

You like hair eh?

:winky:
    YEAH SON

I'm rubbing my belly hair right now just for you.
    Don't set the grasslands on fire

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Oh dear, there's a mumps breakout in the attractive third years. It's going to be an ugly time for physics.

Urgh I read that as "psychics". Stupid science-fiction almost made me say "what? I don't get the reference. In what franchise does mumps screw up psychics?".

...which I did just say. God damn it.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I am just going to ditch class today and play SFIV.

I hate you. I wanted to ditch work so bad to play.

I unlocked Seth around 11 last night and went to bed.

JustinSane07 on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    I've had sex with a girl without sleeping with her but I haven't slept with a girl without having sex with her.
    You have no female friends?
    I don't typically sleep with my male friends. Definitely haven't with my female friends.
    When you go to a party and need to crash at a friends I'd much rather share a double bed and risk the onset of homosexuality than sleep on the couch.
    Which is more uncomfortable, sleeping on a couch or a dick in the butt?

You're playing with fire, Mojo.

I tried to find the Bear and Kitten cartoon about banana-touching, but I got distracted.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If I burnt off the grasslands my predators won't have anything to hide in to stalk their prey.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kottke wrote:
    containers.jpg

The world has so much stuff we don't need that we don't know where to put it all. Perhaps people will be living in those stacks of containers before too long

With every passing day, Infinite Jest gets more and more eerily accurate.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I've played the game for like 10 minutes because right when I got home with it I had to go rescue said girl and then the following escapades occurred that I regaled you all with last night.

Inquisitor on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Couches really aren't that bad to sleep on, in fact I kinda prefer them to beds (though to be fair one time I managed to fall asleep on a concrete floor at work). They give you more back support usually. Hell floors aren't so bad so long as you've got a pillow and sleeping bag.

I'll sleep on a couch, bed, floor, I don't give a shit. When I was a kid I slept on the floor all the time so I find them a bit comforting.

Dynagrip on
    edited February 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    I've had sex with a girl without sleeping with her but I haven't slept with a girl without having sex with her.
    You have no female friends?
    I don't typically sleep with my male friends. Definitely haven't with my female friends.
    When you go to a party and need to crash at a friends I'd much rather share a double bed and risk the onset of homosexuality than sleep on the couch.
    Which is more uncomfortable, sleeping on a couch or a dick in the butt?

You're playing with fire, Mojo.

I tried to find the Bear and Kitten cartoon about banana-touching, but I got distracted.

Are you as sad as me that Bear and Kitten might be over forever?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ya link is busted, pod-man.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok who wants to come over and wax my back?

nexuscrawler on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    kottke wrote:
    containers.jpg

The world has so much stuff we don't need that we don't know where to put it all. Perhaps people will be living in those stacks of containers before too long

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The best thing about sleeping on the floor is that it's (usually) nice and cool.

Bama on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    kottke wrote:
    containers.jpg

rope-noose.jpg

Dynagrip on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

I've played the game for like 10 minutes because right when I got home with it I had to go rescue said girl and then the following escapades occurred that I regaled you all with last night.

Set the game on Easiest, 1 Round per Match. This is the fastest way to unlock shit.

Then you can hop online and have some real fun.

JustinSane07 on
    edited February 2009
    I’m gonna make a hacker alter-ego named Paco Lisp.

stilist on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sometimes, I miss high school.

Simpler days.

(camwhore warning)
    goodtimes.jpg

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited February 2009
    Set the game on Easiest, 1 Round per Match. This is the fastest way to unlock shit.

Then you can hop online and have some real fun.

What is there to unlock even?

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2009
    Argh, I’m not the first to think of that joke. Never mind.

stilist on
    edited February 2009
    ok i'ma go and get to class

peace

(and love)

(which will eventually turn into war again)

(BUT PEACE)

Hakkekage on
    edited February 2009
    Ugh, spooning is a terrible story that I keep wanting to not remember. And now my damn fever is back.

got any shitty movies or TV shows you can just zone out in front of?

Dynagrip on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Everyone else here used to make blanket fortresses when they were little right?

Johannen on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Ugh, spooning is a terrible story that I keep wanting to not remember. And now my damn fever is back.

got any shitty movies or TV shows you can just zone out in front of?

No, I will fall asleep and then I can't go in to the studio and finish setting up lights for the stupid student government pseudodebate they're shooting tonight.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited February 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    fuck I still make blanket fortresses

why am I still here

CLASS

Hakkekage on
    edited February 2009
    Cushion/Pillow forts were more common for me.

Bama on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Blankets

Pillows

The bones of my enemies, yes.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    why am I still here

CLASS

Because... class

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    America 101

Bama on
    edited February 2009

I wasn't poor so I made actual wooden fortresses with tiny catapults we used to attack and destroy the other person's fortress.
    I'm just kidding yeah blankets and pillows :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    edited February 2009
    I want chat so I can make you all here about my hobby that none of the rest of you care about.

Inquisitor on
    edited February 2009
    Gimme gimme!

Inquisitor on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »

When was the contact lens invented?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Seriously, they're doing a "town-hall style" debate, except all the questions are planted. And it's not even going to help the guy whose platform is, verbatim, "I want to build America".

ViolentChemistry on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I want chat so I can make you all here about my hobby that none of the rest of you care about.

For god's sake someone else get it!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited February 2009
    MINE!

Inquisitor on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aaaah I love blanket fortresses.

I also fucking loved it when we got giant delivery boxes for things. Then it because box fortress time, especially good for going under and moving every now and again to really confuse the dog.

Johannen on
    edited February 2009
    hey

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    20040628h.jpg
    Tycho wrote:
    As is established every time an entry in this genre is released, Gabriel actually played Golf in high school and has retained this coarse habit even to the present day. And, by luring me onto an actual course with tales of high powered carts and mobile refreshment stands, he drew me into his dark world. You've seen his twisted interpretation of my own passtime, but starting today, we will dip into his perverted cesspool for a series of undetermined length.

Speaking of my cohort, I was trying to explain to him what it was about City of Heroes that had seized me so suddenly. I'm as surprised as anyone. Indeed, I felt sure that after my beta experience I had - in effect - made my saving throw and would suffer no ill effects from the exposure. There were simply some things that I did not understand in fullness when I played it initially. I knew that it was good, and was perhaps even great - but with more than thirty hours beneath my belt now it's something that I have a bit more appreciation for.

City of Villains, the expansion due out in 2005, is supposed to incorporate some kind of crafting along with lair building and raiding and whatever else. Details on it are pretty loose. I'm always talking about crafting, and so it's possible you have come to the conclusion that I think it is the most important part of massive role-playing games. That's not incorrect, actually. I would need to remove a shoe in order to enumerate the times I've chosen crafting over my own wife.

There is something like crafting in the game, though - building of a sort - which satisfies whatever that odd need of mine is. You can't make things like you could in other games, physical objects that could be passed around, because you don't actually have an inventory to speak of. Obviously, City of Heroes players already know that - but there is no area where physical objects accrue. As you go about your noble task, upon defeating a foe you will sometimes just get one of two things, either Inspirations or Enhancements.

Inspirations are essentially like one-shot powerups that function for a specified amount of time: improve accuracy, regenerate health, do more damage, whatever. As you level up, you're able to carry more of these at once. Unlike other games, where you might reserve powerups of this kind for some theoretical future scenario, you don't really feel that bad using them in CoH because you get them all the Goddamn time. It would be likely jealously guarding each individual Skittle in the Party Size Bag. For all practical purposes, the number of Skittles is infinite. You might not always have the color you want, but it seems petty to retain them.

Enhancements are where the Crafting Lite comes in. You already know that there's no inventory, but since it's a game about heroes you can presume that you have powers of some kind. Well, these powers are pretty much all you have. You draw them from a primary and secondary tree, new ones become available as you level up, and there's a more general pool available to everybody once you level up a bit. Each of these abilities starts with a single slot you can use to modify or "enhance" your power - I'm sure you know what's coming next. It may change later, I'm not qualified to talk about high-level play yet - but on odd numbered levels you don't get new powers as such, you get new enhancement slots which you can apply to your existing powers. You get Enhancements for those slots in the same way you get Inspirations - you don't actually pick them up or anything, they're just sort of "obtained" once you defeat a whirring clockwork automaton or something. These enhancements come in a variety of different forms - increase damage, increase healing, increase slow duration, increase accuracy, things of this sort. Of course, you can't increase the damage of your healing ability - not every enhancement works for every power, and so they'll get traded to other players or sold if you can't use them.

I play one of their strange takes on the healing class called a Dark Defender. He doesn't heal your own people so much as he hurts other people and the party benefits. In order to aid people, I need to have enemies around, and I need to make a successful attack - so it's not always the sort of thing you can count on. With the enhancement system, I can mitigate that somewhat. The way it's set up currently is that I have invested four of my enhancement slots in Twilight Grasp, which is the ornate title they've given that power. That makes for a total of five slots, in which I have placed an Enhancement that reduces its recharge time, as well as two slots each for accuracy and healing bonuses. Eventually, there are types of enhancements that cater to specific character types - but you can figure that stuff out for yourself if you decide to play. All I'm saying is that customizing my powers is somehow able to quiet my strange urge.

The other thing that I didn't understand is the extent to which playing with different groups reveals really crucial interdependencies. I'll talk about that some other time, but the more I play, the more I think that "teaming" is actually the purpose of their entire game.

(CW)TB out.

in my atomic

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.