As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Worst Movies

HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
So the other day I was watching John Carpenter's masterwork of auteurism entitled "Big Trouble in Little China" and it got to thinking: What is it that I'm enjoying so much about watching this ludicrous film?

Perhaps the fact that I can turn my brain completely off, consuming the McDonald's of visual media. Equally possible is my desire to massage my own ego, making fun of the campy, bad (whether intentional or not) writing and acting. Maybe I was reliving a childhood fantasy, where bad guys didn't need proper reasons for existing and the good guy always won.

Whatever the reason, it was a very satisfying experience.

So, D&D, what are some of your favorite bad films or B movies? What attracts you to them? Do you find yourself watching them often? And finally, is there an art to them? I know I've often found that Sci-fi's attempt at creating B movie greatness every weekend fails miserably.

My initial list includes the following in addition to Big Trouble in Little China:

Army of Darkness
Starship Troopers
David Lynch's (or Alan Smithee's :P ) DUNE
There are probably more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
Heartlash on

• Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The first two Underworld films, primarily because of Kate Beckinsale, but also because of vampires fighting werewolves.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do Tank Girl and LadyHawke count?

I don't think I could sit through new The Black Dahlia alone, but with friends it is a hysterically bad film. Its the only one i've just spent the entire film ripping on it with my friend (Cinema was almost empty, and I was whispering... though it was hard to contain laughter at some points... its just SO bad!)

Lacroix on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll second Big Trouble in Little China, and add:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
    Rock and Rule
    The American version of Godzilla
    Cabin Boy

My wife loves crappy monster movies- she tried to get me to like Sundown with David Carradine and Bruce Campbell, but holy hell it was frigging awful. MST3K awful.

Tach on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The correct answer to this thread is

Bloodsport

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Welcome to The Rock.

rchou on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is no earthly reason I should've watched Standing Tall the entire way through since it stars The Rock, and Johnny Knoxville. But I dug it. A lot.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh shit the rock is a pretty damn good movie

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The George of the Jungle film from the late 90s is great for parodying itself, but it tries a bit too hard sometimes.

And on the subject of Brendan Frasier, every single one of the Mummy films that he's been in fits the bill.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Erchamion on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Big Trouble In Little China is on every Christmas in the UK and it is one of the greatest films ever made.

Also:
    Universal Soldier to go with Podlys Bloodsport

Johannen on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »

"Winners go home and f*** the prom queen"

Must watch again.

Great stuff so far guys.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We were staying in a hostel in San Francisco that had a VHS player and some tapes you could borrow. So we chose...

STEELE JUSTICE. Starring Martin Kove (Aka the bad sensei from the Kobra Kai in the Karate Kid) as John Steele, an ex-vietnam vet who becomes a one man army when his partner (and fellow vietnam vet friend) is killed by an enemy of his in Vietnam.

Fucking awesomely cheesy film that starts off well (a rat with a grenade tied to it), and just gets better (Steele works for the Buero of Wild Horse Management... How manly) and better (theres an 80's dance video scene) and better (he breaks into a secret weapons testing facility to steal a top secret gun).

He has a snake called '3 step'', because if it bites you, then you have 3 steps before you die.

Just... watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSS-H1_BWOk

Ponge on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »

Must watch again.

Great stuff so far guys.

"Dude.... You fucked up your ferrari!"

..."It's not mine."

Johannen on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I freaking love Starship Troopers. You can argue all you want about how inferior it is to the book, but a a self-contained story it is almost a flawless action movie. Except for the acting, but it almost works in its favour.

Dune is great as well, and I'm a huge fan of the book. Contrarily, it has one of my favorite casts in film history. All it needed was Brian Cox, and all the handpuppet sandworms would be forgotten.

Weird Al's UHF is another movie that's pretty terrible, but can consistently make me laugh. It's difficult to lay down judgement when discussing spoof movies as you can make the case that they're often intentionally bad, but there's a mountaneous difference between Airplane! and Meet the Spartans. Same goes for movies like High School High, which is pretty bad overall, but, hey, it has Jon Lovitz. Same goes for many of the supernatural monster movies that came out of the 90s like Mimic, Species or The Relic (which I adore, for whatever reason).

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obligatory Snakes on a Plane. Additionally, 80s horror movies like Basketcase, Phantasm, Night of the Creeps, and the wonderfully gory and stupid Bad Taste.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DoA: Dead Or Alive.
    So bad, yet so awesome. Watching it a group of my best friends, many of whom played the game with me, or at least watched it being played helped a lot. So did beer and turning off the brain.

Worst Worst is Nukie. Holy god is it bad.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Seriously, Bloodsport is the best movie.

Say it! SAY IT!

m....maté

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DoA: Dead Or Alive.

Similarly, Takashi Miike made a movie called Dead or Alive. It's basically a standard yakuza drama about a cop hunting down some notorious criminal.

That is, until the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_cjQLiplI

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Seriously, Bloodsport is the best movie.

Say it! SAY IT!

m....maté

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    *sand in eyes*

*training montage*

*epic ass kicking*

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cherrn..... that was fucking insane.

Johannen on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rocky IV and Rambo (the new one)

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »

Must watch again.

Great stuff so far guys.

Dude...you can say fuck here. :P

And yes, The Rock was my absolute first thought upon reading the thread title. It's horrible, yet fantastic at the same time. You've got a fantastic actor in Sean Connery, maybe in Cage as well (definitely debatable), doing an utterly atrocious over-the-top action wankfest...and it works. One-liners, bullets, explosions, car chases that had to be shoehorned in but dammit, they're there, everything.

Awesome.

Same goes for Con-Air, only replace Connery with Malkovich (and Buscemi).

Hell, you can even go for the Nicholas Cage "what the fuck why are these movies on Starz 24 hours a day" trifecta, and throw in Gone in 60 Seconds. But that one's probably pretty controversial....I think a lot of people hated it, and not in a good "love to hate it" way.

Bloodsport is a great one too, though really both Van Damme and Steven Seagal put out some pretty good bad movies back in the day.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Me and some friends had hilarious fun when we watched "War Inc.". Every minute of it was so god-awfully bad that it became very fun to dissect it.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not sure how bad it is, but being an 80's flick, I guess its debatable. Rad has always had a special place in my heart, especially for this scene

School Dance...on bikes!

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm Gonna Git You Sucka is a pretty damn fine comedy

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I submit Beastmaster and Red Sojna to the record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb5zm3FV47E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7EvEV4jtmY

And no hating on Tank Girl. Seriously, that movie is awesome.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gymkata - when you're a willowy badass who beats up bad guys with your gymnastic prowess, it's amazing how often you can find a pommel horse just where you need it.

I'd also say, 'Best Guy,' but I'm the only one on this board who's seen it. :P

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm Gonna Git You Sucka is a pretty damn fine comedy

All I remember from that movie is the dude with the goldfish in his platform shoes.

And I submit one (1) The Toxic Avenger.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Starcrash.

David Hasselhoff in a Star Wars ripoff? Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-dwjrinK0

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Airborne, from 1993. I have no idea why I love this movie. Teenager from California (loves surfing and rollerblading) moves to his relatives place in Cincinatti for 6 months. It ends with a 20 minute downhill rollerblading race (Devil's Backbone!) to determine which neighborhood is superior. Also has Jack Black and Seth Green.

Also, Demolition Man.

Podunk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Point Break.... hands down Point Break

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »

First: Fuck you.

Second: That movie is a classic, it launched Kianu Reeve's career and won like 10 Oscars.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars. Working out the many layers of flashbacks is entertainment in itself.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »

First: Fuck you.

Second: That movie is a classic, it launched Kianu Reeve's career and won like 10 Oscars.

Your response only further funds my endless summer.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is no earthly reason I should've watched Standing Tall the entire way through since it stars The Rock, and Johnny Knoxville. But I dug it. A lot.

The Rock actually has made some entertaining movies. The Rundown was by no means a good movie, but it definately had its moments, especially Walken's monologues..."Do you understand the CONCEPT of the tooth fairy?"

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter