As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hockey on] NHL09 - GO TO NEW THREAD

• mclay8823mclay8823 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Good games man, shut outs for everyone!

That is why I hate this game.

Why? Games are 15 minutes long. How many goals are scored in the real NHL in 15 minutes?

mclay8823 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hate DiPietro. I can't score on him for the life of me.

twmjr on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mclay8823 wrote: »

Why? Games are 15 minutes long. How many goals are scored in the real NHL in 15 minutes?

The amount of shutouts in this league is just unrealistic. I don't care how long games are, there are just too many shutouts.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    twmjr wrote: »
    I hate DiPietro. I can't score on him for the life of me.

Really? I won 7-0.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe it has something to do with playing styles? I dunno...I felt like I got enough chances to at least get a goal or two but it didn't pan out. They were well played games by Rykosho (sp?), but I would've liked to break through at least once!

Them's the breaks.

And yeah shutouts seem a little high. I had a streak of 6 or 7 in a row going before someone (I think WilD) scored on me tonight.

twmjr on
    edited February 2009

The amount of shutouts in this league is just unrealistic. I don't care how long games are, there are just too many shutouts.

You should if you want it to be realistic.

Approximate average total goals scored in an NHL game: 6.21. In 60 minutes, that is an average of 1 goal every 9.66 minutes.

Apply that to 15 minutes of hockey and you get 1.55 goals per game.

Sounds like a lot of shutouts is actually VERY realistic...proportionally.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • JohnTheJanitorJohnTheJanitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh math

JohnTheJanitor on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Has there been any indication on when the new patch for the 360 version of this is going to be released?

Schide on
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh math

Math, killing the hopes of the world's youth since 0001

WilDPanthA05 on
    edited February 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    Has there been any indication on when the new patch for the 360 version of this is going to be released?

As far as I know it is being tested by Microsoft. Their normal time is 10 days. So I wouldn't bank on this upcoming Tuesday, but probably the following one?

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Regardless of the math, the amount of shutouts isn't low in my opinion. I guess that if you know how to score and you're up against anyone except the cream of the crop defensively on a good day, you don't have issues. I'm ranked near 6,000 now online and so I play a lot of games against top-ranked teams. Generally, our games are in the range of 2-1, 3-2, 4-2, etc.

If you learn how to score, very rarely will you be shut out for the entire game.

Furthermore, I'm glad they don't let people who have played 10 games score consistently. It only makes sense to require some experience to learn the game. I couldn't put Halo 3 in my system and start to beat guys like Cody, Jake, etc. It would take me hundreds of games...and I would still probably lose.

Just sayin...

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    Regardless of the math, the amount of shutouts isn't low in my opinion. I guess that if you know how to score and you're up against anyone except the cream of the crop defensively on a good day, you don't have issues. I'm ranked near 6,000 now online and so I play a lot of games against top-ranked teams. Generally, our games are in the range of 2-1, 3-2, 4-2, etc.

If you learn how to score, very rarely will you be shut out for the entire game.

Furthermore, I'm glad they don't let people who have played 10 games score consistently. It only makes sense to require some experience to learn the game. I couldn't put Halo 3 in my system and start to beat guys like Cody, Jake, etc. It would take me hundreds of games...and I would still probably lose.

Just sayin...

You don't play Halo anyways. You just try to sleep so you can wake up for an 8am class while we scream in your room until 5am.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I have only one response to that:
    random-butthole-stuff-6.jpg

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    Requiring people have to experience with the game to be good at it? That makes no sense. It is possible that they are good from the start since they play all different video games in general. You only play Madden and NHL, hence you suck at Halo.

edit: And what the fuck is that dog doing? It is funny because we found out yesterday that our house phoneline is dead.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited February 2009
    So people should be able to just turn on the game and be really good? No offense, but that is asinine.

The reason this game is so fun to me is that I learn new strategies and methods of playing the game every time I play. If I was really dominant right off the bat, it wouldn't be a challenge and I'd be done with it by now.

I worked my ass off trying to get good at it and it has paid off with a league championship, first in points on the hotsteppers, and a top 6,000 online rank (and climbing). I earned that. Someone how has played 5 times shouldn't be able to score on me at will. That, my friend, would be dumb.

P.S. I hate Madden. The next-gen versions are awful. And I play GTA...speaking of which, I need to install the new version! Almost forgot!

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    Are you guys getting the expansion? I wasn't going to.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    puffycow wrote: »
    Are you guys getting the expansion? I wasn't going to.

I see it is $20.00 and it seems to be getting good reviews, so I will likely buy it. I defeated the first storyline and enjoyed it so why not?

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    Yea, I never finished the regular game and I don't see myself ever playing again, or at least any time soon. The new dl changes your original game to the censored version but they are going to patch that eventually.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited February 2009
    You don't even have any tools.

Edit: I'm glad you told me it was the censored version. I would've been pretty pissed if I went shoot my gun and water came out of it...or a flag popped out that said "Bang!"

Seriously though, what is different in the censored version? Less blood, no cursing?

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    From what I know, no blood and possibly less/no cursing.

They said they will be putting out a patch to fix the censoring thing though, so you will be safe if you purchase the expansion and decide to go back to the original.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited February 2009
    *IMs you*

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey laonar I sent you a trade proposal for Setoguchi.

remlap13 on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »

NOOOOOOOO! lanoar, when you trade Setoguchi for Penner, just then send Penner along my way :winky:

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited February 2009
    About time Jakob played me. I put him down both games. 4-0 and 5-3. Jake, you would have stood a much better chance if you didn't give the puck away so much in your end. You did so much better at the end of game 2.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Frank, go back to work.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited February 2009
    I finished at noon.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Frank, we are playing Street Fighter at least twice today.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shall I get this to play with you guys?

Laonar on
    edited February 2009

PM'ed ya

Laonar on
    edited February 2009
    Laonar wrote: »

GTAIV for SFIV?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited February 2009

NOOOOOOOO! lanoar, when you trade Setoguchi for Penner, just then send Penner along my way :winky:

Don't worry. Penner is still available.

remlap13 on
    edited February 2009
    Laonar wrote: »

GTAIV for SFIV?

SFIV

Laonar on
    edited February 2009
    Hey Laonar. I sent that trade proposal through. If you could get on and accept it before I play a few games tonight that would be stellar. :winky:

remlap13 on
    edited February 2009
    not off to 7pm eastern bud, will do it soon as i get home

Laonar on
    edited February 2009
    Thats fine. I'm not home from work till 8pm Mountain Time. Just on lunch right now.

remlap13 on
    edited February 2009
    I suck today. I'm just terrible.

If you still need to play me, today would be a good day to beat me.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuck, once again so close...Sorry to have dissapointed those who were watching.

Masked_Mullet on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I kind of wish there was a way that other people on Live could watch a game that two other people are playing, like in Broadcast view or something. That would be kind of cool maybe like once.

Schide on
    edited February 2009
    Marty Biron is an embarrassment.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • JohnTheJanitorJohnTheJanitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Just sayin...

Yeah... I actually think that that's a really good point though I obviously can't score goals. I haven't played a whole lot and I don't feel like I'm not capable of practicing and getting better. The one thing I'll say about that, going more along with Redfield's comment, is that while I don't think that you should be able to lay down the fire when you first start playing, the controls are awesome for stick-handling and more and more as you get used to it, but I think that this game in particular could stand to be more pick-up-&-playable as far as executing what you intend to do. For example- If I can think on the fly to have Selanne shoot at a specific portion of the net, that shot should go that direction. I don't think that users should have to train themselves and work hard to be capable of performing actions that NHL players can do without issue. & I definitely don't just mean with aiming like that- though I do respect and appreciate the effort not to make the ability of 1-timers and such super arcadey I'd like the game and the scoring to be more about knowing the techniques possible and applying when to use them.

On a somewhat separate note, I think it's funny how the AI learning is a big deal and truly is good and worthwhile, but all the goalie seems to learn is how to lay on the ice and shoot heroine.

*edit* & Schide, I'm totally with you there... & I'd definitely do it more than once... Thinking about it now, I think it'd be hilarious to see combat reporters in Call of Duty.

JohnTheJanitor on