As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scout Fortress 2: BONK!

• darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys are all in so much trouble.
    so much trouble

Egypt looks really fun, but I hope they put the best map first since I usually play on 24/7 Dustbowl server and 23/6 of the time its the first map, when the 3rd is the best.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Get the first kill in arena and get a crit buff. Use said crit buff to kill 5 more guys for an achievement. Simple really.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    guys, what if the stun bat is the scatter gun replacement and this force of nature is the melee replacement?

SaraLuna on
    edited February 2009
    guys, what if the stun bat is the scatter gun replacement and this force of nature is the melee replacement?

No. YOU CAN EVEN SEE THE NEW SHOTGUN IN THE ENERGY DRINK SCREEEN!*

*may or may not be true

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

*may or may not be true

It's pretty obviously a different model, so unless they just made a new one for shits and giggles I'd say it's the Force-a-Nature.

Zek on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

*may or may not be true

idk, looks like the same old shottie to me.

they're just really playing up the baseball angle, so I'm imagining a huge bat of some sort that increases power/knockback based on previous damage/stuns.

based partly on this:
    Out of the Park: Bat an enemy 25 meters.

SaraLuna on
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ohhhhh, first blood is for arena, okay. I thought it was all maps. Well, arena will be neat with scouts now, after the whole hype up thing a ma jig is gone I mean and we are back to semi normal. I hope the scout goes all crazy, like in the first blood picture, im talking red eyes and screaming or something while he has the crit buff. Im curious to know how long the buff is gona last though, 5 seconds, 10, I dunno.

Lagnar on
    edited February 2009
    The first blood buff should be on every map. Arena is poop.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No more Scout news until Monday. How ever will we stay on topic?

Some of those achievements are unlikely endeavors in actual play: Can anybody ACTUALLY cap the the intel three times in one round without getting at least one unlucky crit rocket to the face? How often do you stumble upon a Heavy with his back turned eating his Sandvich? I hated the fact that many of the medic achievements required that the medic to play in a contrived manner; the Pyro and Heavy Updates were better in this regard.

Gaffero on
    edited February 2009

*may or may not be true

idk, looks like the same old shottie to me.

they're just really playing up the baseball angle, so I'm imagining a huge bat of some sort that increases power/knockback based on previous damage/stuns.

based partly on this:
    Out of the Park: Bat an enemy 25 meters.

24o0mf7.jpg

Zek on
    edited February 2009
    The first blood buff should be on every map. Arena is poop.

Thats what I was thinking really, I mean on well for example it would be awsome and would be pretty devistating. Near eveyone rushing into that one room (although it is 2 floors but you get the idea). Its already been mentioned I think but the first buff thing looks like it will be a perma scout thing, so mabye thats why it is arena only. (Unless its part of the new gun of course, but I dont think so).

EDIT: Awsome, thanks Zek, I was having troubles telling the differnce but yeah it looks way differnet now too. Holds it with the hands oppiste side of the gun, the ammo thing isint there, the barrel itself looks bigger, or the whole at least, the handel area is curved slightly, and no or a very small...brown thing on the bottom. (My knowlage of weapons/guns isint top knotch as you can tell.

Lagnar on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    how do we know its called the force of nature?

Im thinking about getting a server guys, it would be located in the united kingdom. does anybody know if there are any deals going on atm etc?

as for why? I'm bored of god awful lag, I enjoy both custom and normal maps so would like to have the best of both worlds *cough* Garbage Day & Badwater *Cough*, and I want to be able to slay Rak when he blows me up.

Edit: Have you quit yet?

Europe server would be very nice.

Jutranjo on
    edited February 2009
    Gaffero wrote: »

Some of those achievements are unlikely endeavors in actual play: Can anybody ACTUALLY cap the the intel three times in one round without getting at least one unlucky crit rocket to the face? How often do you stumble upon a Heavy with his back turned eating his Sandvich? I hated the fact that many of the medic achievements required that the medic to play in a contrived manner; the Pyro and Heavy Updates were better in this regard.

Honestly I think only a handful of the Scout achievements are even hard, certainly not enough to prevent you from getting the unlocks. Why does the Heavy have to have his back turned? If you find him eating a sandwich anywhere, the achievement is yours. There aren't any that are insanely difficult(besides maybe getting 5 kills with the crit buff) and there aren't any really stupid ones either like killing people with an uber charged.

Zek on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Im thinking about getting a server guys, it would be located in the united kingdom. does anybody know if there are any deals going on atm etc?

as for why? I'm bored of god awful lag, I enjoy both custom and normal maps so would like to have the best of both worlds *cough* Garbage Day & Badwater *Cough*, and I want to be able to slay Rak when he blows me up.

I don't know if there are enough European PA'ers to guarantee a full server, though

Impersonator on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thank god we have our own thread again. The other one was a terrible, terrible place.

Looks like I'm gonna have to follow a scout doing the Quick Hook thing, my graphics are too low to see whatever the hell you're supposed to jump on.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited February 2009

I don't know if there are enough European PA'ers to guarantee a full server, though

The nice thing is that I would proably get a somewhat decent ping on that sever too! I think there are enough though, GPR, Edcrab, Flippy, Marty I belive, someone is over there for school or something for the moment (I wana say senshi but Im almost positive im wrong) Peewi, uhh, my memory is bad but there are alot of others aswell. Along with that im sure a few more people would buy the game if they could get access to a sever that had a good ping for them.

Sorry if I sound like I am trying to pressure you to buy a sever GPR, you do what you want brah.

I didnt play medic then, so I never payed much attention to it, but wernt the medic achivements changed somehow? OR was it the number you needed for the ubersaw? None the less, alot of the scout ones do look pretty crazy.

Lagnar on
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ew who the hell likes cp_egypt?

TVs_Frank on
    edited February 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    Thank god we have our own thread again. The other one was a terrible, terrible place.

Looks like I'm gonna have to follow a scout doing the Quick Hook thing, my graphics are too low to see whatever the hell you're supposed to jump on.

I assume you'll be able to do it now with the Force-a-Nature, maybe even just with the speed boost from the energy drink.

Zek on
    edited February 2009
    Zek wrote: »

I assume you'll be able to do it now with the Force-a-Nature, maybe even just with the speed boost from the energy drink.

Wait the drink boost will make you jump higher or farther too? Ohhh, that would be neat.

Lagnar on
    edited February 2009
    Lagnar wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

Wait the drink boost will make you jump higher or farther too? Ohhh, that would be neat.

It would make you go further, assuming it actually speeds you up.

Zek on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

Not me.

tofu on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The nice thing is that I would proably get a somewhat decent ping on that sever too! I think there are enough though, GPR, Edcrab, Flippy, Marty I belive, someone is over there for school or something for the moment (I wana say senshi but Im almost positive im wrong) Peewi, uhh, my memory is bad but there are alot of others aswell. Along with that im sure a few more people would buy the game if they could get access to a sever that had a good ping for them.

Sorry if I sound like I am trying to pressure you to buy a sever GPR, you do what you want brah.

Hmm, maybe someone should start a poll thread or send a lot of PM's then
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

Valve? :winky:

Impersonator on
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys noticed that the energy drink makes you slow down after it wears off right? I haven't seen anyone [strike]talk[/strike] bitch about it.

TVs_Frank on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Give it time.

tofu on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    They do free weekends when updates come out, right? I need to see if this runs on my lappy (stupid integrated graphics cards) because I dearly want to play it.

Maybe someone could, I don't know, answer my question?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The energy also makes bullets miss you. I hope all this stuff is balanced, because really, scout is fine already, its just the maps that make him crap.

Yes, psyck0 they do, thats the whole point of the update.

BlindPsychic on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Force of Nature is probably the term for the shotgun knockback. You know, the first "force of nature:" every shotgun has an equal and opposite reaction.

So, you fire the shotgun behind you and fly into an enemy to kill them

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The normal scattergun does have a knockback. Although Kazhiim's theory is more awesome.

Darkstryke on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What the hell, just got a "Bad Challenge" message when trying to join Jon's right now. I've never seen this before. Is this the new "Dropped due to slot reservation"?

TheSuperWoot on
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I played this for the first time tonight (jonxp's server). I bought it in November, about a minute before the world abandoned it for L4D. I just ran around as a medic and shot healing magic at people who were the same color as me. Did I win?

Raughn on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think some of you guys are assuming that some of those achievements require them to be in one life when they don't say anything about being in one life. In particular, I don't see why you would have to get five kills without dying for first blood part 2.

Savant on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How to kill before the round starts on well

This to me was solid proof of being able to get higher with the new weapon. Because, as of right now, you can only cross the train as a scout if you are on red team

On Red team, if you climb up the windows onto the second story ledge, on the left side, you can jump to a lamp. You cannot do it on the right side, or on the blu side it all. It has to be left side . You can double jump to a lamp on the fence, then jump from that to the train, and cross.

CangoFett on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I didnt play medic then, so I never payed much attention to it, but wernt the medic achivements changed somehow? OR was it the number you needed for the ubersaw? None the less, alot of the scout ones do look pretty crazy.

Some of the numbers were toned down on the actual achievements themselves, but still, a lot of them ask you do things that are just bonkers to expect out of anyone. Like, say, the one where you have to kill five guys with an Ubercharge in stock, on one life. Or... what was it, 10,000 healing in a single life? That's something like ten minutes of solid healing. I remember getting it in PASMO, and it took about that long. Some of the Heavy and Pyro achievements ask you do stuff that's a little out of the way (the kill X dudes while underwater stands out), but I'd say that most of the Medic ones are still kinda nuts.

That said, I still wish there were some legitimate way to reset my Medic achievements. I'd like to give the 22 out of 32 goal a shot.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited February 2009
    Raughn wrote: »
    I played this for the first time tonight (jonxp's server). I bought it in November, about a minute before the world abandoned it for L4D. I just ran around as a medic and shot healing magic at people who were the same color as me. Did I win?

Go pyro and shoot fire magic at your foes! But yeah, healing people is what the medic does, that gun works wonders!

Lagnar on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kupi wrote: »

Some of the numbers were toned down on the actual achievements themselves, but still, a lot of them ask you do things that are just bonkers to expect out of anyone. Like, say, the one where you have to kill five guys with an Ubercharge in stock, on one life. Or... what was it, 10,000 healing in a single life? That's something like ten minutes of solid healing. I remember getting it in PASMO, and it took about that long. Some of the Heavy and Pyro achievements ask you do stuff that's a little out of the way (the kill X dudes while underwater stands out), but I'd say that most of the Medic ones are still kinda nuts.

That said, I still wish there were some legitimate way to reset my Medic achievements. I'd like to give the 22 out of 32 goal a shot.

Man the 10,000 healing in one life was far from ridiculous compared to the other achievements. I've gotten over 10,000 multiple times and it's pretty easy on some maps if you just decide to be a bitch and stay in the back and proceed to run away at the slightest glimpse of trouble.

TheSuperWoot on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    What the hell, just got a "Bad Challenge" message when trying to join Jon's right now. I've never seen this before. Is this the new "Dropped due to slot reservation"?

Bad challenge means you mangled a join handshake packet I think.

Morkath on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

you have to shake whose hand to get on the server now?

elevature on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    elevature wrote: »

Mine. Oh, got a little dirt on it.

*spits on hand*

There we go, all better.

donhonk on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    elevature wrote: »

Mine. Oh, got a little dirt on it.

*spits on hand*

There we go, all better.

It's actually a three way handshake.
    :winky:

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    donhonk on
This discussion has been closed.