As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's kill iTunes

12346»

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You are the only one talking about the formats on their own. We were talking about how each format is likely to be mastered. You came in and went NO GUYS THAT IS WRONG without reading any of the points made.

fuck off.

Faricazy on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    buying mp3s is dumb.

buy the cd

I am sorry but the amount of stupid in this post blew me away.

Let's say on a CD there are 5 whole songs I enjoy. Instead of spending 20 + dollars on a cd filled with 10 other songs I don't want, I can pay 5 bucks to get those 5 songs. Buying a cd at this point in time is really only a hobbiest thing to do.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So really vinyl is preferred because it's generally mixed better? I've been listening to a lot of good and badly mixed music over the last couple months as my brother has learned to mix music so I can understand that.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    buying mp3s is dumb.

buy the cd

Let's say on a CD there are 5 whole songs I enjoy. Instead of spending 20 + dollars on a cd filled with 10 other songs I don't want, I can pay 5 bucks to get those 5 songs. Buying a cd at this point in time is really only a hobbiest thing to do.
    Maybe you should listen to good albums?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    like the juno soundtrack

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited February 2009
    The Strokes have some fucking awful mastering on their CDs

to the point where it destroys whatever soundstage there might have been originally

guhhh

Faricazy on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    fari would you say that music is your aero-plane

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So really vinyl is preferred because it's generally mixed better? I've been listening to a lot of good and badly mixed music over the last couple months as my brother has learned to mix music so I can understand that.
    Vinyl can typically hold more information than the CD, so when the music is pressed on the CD, it's compressed. Sometimes this compression results in clipping, and the quality and dynamics of the music really suffer. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to a vinyl setup, but I have several DVD-Audio disks, and they sound incredible, just because the sound hasn't been squashed to shit.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Vinyl can typically hold more information than the CD, so when the music is pressed on the CD, it's compressed. Sometimes this compression results in clipping, and the quality and dynamics of the music really suffer. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to a vinyl setup, but I have several DVD-Audio disks, and they sound incredible, just because the sound hasn't been squashed to shit.
    That's a product of the mastering, not the format. CDs can sound just fine.

Faricazy on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    buying mp3s is dumb.

buy the cd

True, although sometimes if I know an album already has a few good songs on it I'll just buy the whole thing and give the band a chance to win me over with the rest of it too.

Butler on
    edited February 2009
    buying mp3s is dumb.

buy the cd

BUT BUT BUT

THE TOP 40

D:

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »

So if you bought the exact same cd and album say something that came out this year, would they both be mastered the same?

Doodmann on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    The only thing vinyl has going for it is that it's analog. There's no "bit rate" that could approach a continuous analog signal, it would have to be infinite and that's probably too much data to fit on one CD...

Actually you can fit infinite data on to a CD as long as you save it as a .zip file.

Butler on
    edited February 2009

So if you bought the exact same cd and album say something that came out this year, would they both be mastered the same?
    If the CD is mastered towards loudness, then no. Vinyl has an inherent limit to how "hot" you can make it. With CD's and digital clipping and blowout, there is no limit.

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009

If the CD is mastered towards loudness, then no. Vinyl has an inherent limit to how "hot" you can make it. With CD's and digital clipping and blowout, there is no limit.

Ok cool, I will continue to explore this whole vinyl thing than. Sometimes an LP will come with a CD which is the most awesome thing ever.

Doodmann on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, of course. What I said was a bit of a generalisation.

If you want an example of good mastering to compare to bad mastering, compare Dark Side of the Moon, to any Mars Volta CD. I also hear the new Metallica CD sounds like shit.

Old Neil Young albums also sound superb.
    buying mp3s is dumb.

buy the cd

BUT BUT BUT

THE TOP 40

Yeah, seriously.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Butler wrote: »
    Are you sure they used the clean edit? I can see a little "fuck" down in the bottom right edge.

maybe they allow one or two on the clean edit or something

but there are way more "Fuck"s on that album than the NPR chart shows

here's 'Fuck You': http://www.wordle.net/gallery/wrdl/570513/LilyAllen

edit: actually maybe the rest of them just overshadow it significantly, but it seems like there should be a lot more on that chart than there is

Monoxide on
    edited February 2009

to the point where it destroys whatever soundstage there might have been originally

guhhh
    I absolutely love The Strokes, but I can now only listen to their music through my shitty PC speakers. It's torture to listen to them via my headphones/amp.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009

guhhh
    I absolutely love The Strokes, but I can now only listen to their music through my shitty PC speakers. It's torture to listen to them via my headphones/amp.
    it's such a shame

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009
    the best thing about having shitty speakers and an iPod/FM transmitter setup in my car is that everything sounds awesome if it's loud enough

then I get home and put it on the stage monitors I have in my living room and it's just awful

Monoxide on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »
    itunes does get pretty crappy once you have a lot of music to manage though, unless there's some secret i'm unaware of
    20090221-gm9i1crud3exrymff7yjd93by.jpg

i am not finding this to be the case

maybe on windows, but i didn't have problems even on windows when the size was maybe half of what i have now

I'm at roughly the same library size, give or take a few gigs, iTunes on Windows freaked the fuck out when I tried to re-import my library after reformatting. It just randomly skips songs while importing that are obviously there, not to mention I got huge slowdown when searching and using anything but list view. I was forced to switch to Winamp for now (and maybe Songbird once they have Watch Folders)

works great on OS X though

i had way the hell more than that on my other computer back down south (currently rebuilding library from scratch)

i'm actually liking winamp better for the most part now that i've gotten the tagging figured out

all i want is for it to list artists and albums instead of a huge list of every song

i never liked that cover flow thing or the grid

i like itunes overall, though

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited February 2009
    to be honest all I miss from iTunes is using Remote on my iphone and the library/folder management

if Winamp had a decent remote app it'd be just fine

Monoxide on
    edited February 2009

guhhh
    it's such a shame
    I'm not sure if you're a fan, but you should give Sia - Colour the Small One a listen. It sounds pretty great.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    I'm not sure if you're a fan, but you should give Sia - Colour the Small One a listen. It sounds pretty great.
    that sounds familiar, didn't she release some album in the fall? i'll check it out.

Faricazy on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Monoxide wrote: »
    to be honest all I miss from iTunes is using Remote on my iphone and the library/folder management

if Winamp had a decent remote app it'd be just fine

i wish it ran a little smoother, but then again my PC is a shambling relic

normally i'd prefer foobar but winamp's library system is way better

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited February 2009
    that sounds familiar, didn't she release some album in the fall? i'll check it out.
    I'm not too sure. This is her only album that I really like. She's done some work with Zero 7, and her song was the finale song for Six Feet Under.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sia put out an amazing album last year, listen and love it

also is this the new music thread
    I'll just leave this here then:

REALPEOPLE IS THE NEW POSTAL SERVICE

emericana on
    edited February 2009
    did Condon release any electronic stuff before Beirut?

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009
    apparently he made some realpeople demos at like 15 (so like six yearss ago) long before beirut existed

can't find it though

emericana on
    edited February 2009
    well

i want more

when i was listening to the EP i didn't even realize he switched to electronic until No Dice kicked in with its more traditional drum machine sound and it was a "WHAT" moment

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009
    My Evening With The Prostitute is hands down my favorite song of 09 so far

And I don't see it getting beat any time soon

emericana on
  • ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah Condon's Realpeople half of that EP is the best release of 09 so far IMO.

uberneko on
  • The Iron ChancellorThe Iron Chancellor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I bought a Zune today and I gotta say I am loving the thing. It sucks that the Marketplace isn't available in Canada yet though.

The Iron Chancellor on
    edited February 2009
    So you can buy the product in Canada, but you can't use the marketplace? That is shoddy.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zune hi5!

Centipede Damascus on