As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Smokin' Guns/Western Quake

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
BRIEF SUMMARY: This is a free TOTAL CONVERSION game running on the Quake 3 engine. It is now a stand-alone release, so you can download it for free right here! I am hosting a server at "mbii.ath.cx" but it will also show up on the server list as "The Underground Quakers".

Server name: The Underground Quakers
Server IP: 173.74.37.75 (mbii.ath.cx also resolves to this)
Server port: 27960
Server status: UP!!!

Here is a manual to get you started: http://www.smokin-guns.net/manual/index.html

This is my favorite Wild West FPS: http://www.smokin-guns.net/

Alamo3.jpg

It started as a mod for Quake 3 called "Western Quake", but they've just recently released a standalone version that is completely free and requires nothing except their zip package or installer. You can get that here: http://www.smokin-guns.net/template.php?page=8&sid=cb28b5bbf75707a47ff5a1885a678665

It stresses realism to some extent, but goes for more of a spaghetti Western feel (which is evident with the music). The maps are fun to mess with and there's a great variety of them.

You buy weapons from a menu at the start of the round like Counterstrike, earning money for kills or completing robberies. Then you can spend it on rifles, shotguns, pistols, or various accessories (like Clint Eastwood's famous "bulletproof" boiler plate or molotov cocktails). There are also gatling guns you can purchase, which are fun to mount and fire.

The game modes are fantastic, you have:

Duel Mode - These are one on one duels, although with odd amount of players on a server you'll sometimes end up with three people. You play on random mini-maps that rotate during the duel rounds, and your weapons are limited to pistols and knives. Your accuracy is horrible at the beginning of the round and you start with pistols holstered, giving people time to situate themselves for a duel and choose their cover. You ascend in a tournament fashion until somebody earns enough notches on their belt to be considered the winner of the duel round and earn a point towards your total (usually 10 to win).

Bank Robbery - The main course. You assemble two teams, one of outlaws and one of lawmen. Hidden on the various bank robbery maps (there's quite a few) are sacks of money which you can retrieve to secure your fistful of dollars. This is kind of a one-sided capture the flag, and if the outlaws successfully rob a bank then they'll become the defenders. This is easily the most atmospheric mode, and it's a total blast with enough friends.

Round Teamplay - This plays out similarly to "Bank Robbery" in the sense that you only get one life per round and you're assembled on teams. The difference is there's no money to defend or rob, just a good old tactical shoot out. There's a few extra maps especially for this kind of play, which also function with deathmatch and team deathmatch (described below).

Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch - This is your total mayhem mode, a basic fragfest where players can buy weapons and items at any time and any place (in other modes you have to be at your spawn and buying periods last for 60 seconds). Plenty of dynamite chucking fun to be had here, a great break from the more paced play of the other modes. Team Deathmatch just splits the chaos into teams, nothing more.

The music is fantastic for what there is but unfortunately there's not all that much of it. If it wears thin I'd suggest some Ennio Morricone scores, although I know a lot of players prefer to keep music to a minimum so they can be aware of their surroundings.

The only unfortunate thing is that it looks really dated nowadays, being on the Quake 3 engine. If you can get past that and assemble some friends though, you're in for a helluva ride. I'd love to construct a "Play On" thread for this some day, although I'm not sure if there's enough interest.

Here's the new intro video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dv3AxFqvgM

And here's some action. Couldn't find a pure gameplay video with big teams, but this gives a pretty good idea of some of the weapons at least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-30WlXBfMk

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Server's up if anyone here feels like raiding us.

*tumbleweed*

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Server's back up for the lurkers/randoms who seem to use this topic!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bumping again because the server is back!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What?! How the hell hasn't anyone showed interest in Smokin' Guns? It's an amazing free western FPS based on the Q3 engine, everyone should try it as of... Now! :D

Impersonator on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Downloadin' now, won't be done till tomorrow though (or late enough to where I might as well play tomorrow) I look forward to shooting some people.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the posts, guys.

Server's up again, here's some information:

Smokin' Guns @ mbii.ath.cx (or look for "The Underground Quakers" in the server browser)

If you still need to download it go here: http://www.smokin-guns.net/template.php?page=8&sid=cb28b5bbf75707a47ff5a1885a678665

Also join our VENTRILO SERVER for voice chat: http://www.ventrilo.com/dlprod.php?id=1

Server: ventrilo2.ecgnetwork.com
    Port: 4097

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Good games, if anyone from here showed up.

There needs to be a REAL King of the Hill mode for the Fort so I can get myself stuck like a dumb cat more often:

shot0005.jpg

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are not enough western FPS games or mods, I swear. I'll let this download while I'm out at work tonight.

Henroid on
  • Options
    plehpleh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Downloaded, played a bit on single player, really enjoyed the feel of it.

Dunno why, but the audio in this game is just fantastic to me. :whistle:

e: forgot, when do people usually play online?

pleh on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I used to play this religiously probably ~6 or so years ago. It was awesome. I might consider hitting it up tonight.

Sanius on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    pleh wrote: »
    Downloaded, played a bit on single player, really enjoyed the feel of it.

Dunno why, but the audio in this game is just fantastic to me. :whistle:

e: forgot, when do people usually play online?
    My group usually plays on the weekend, it seems like it's been Sunday night for the past few weeks but Saturday/Friday are usually good too. Around 6 PM CST most of the time. I might host two nights for this upcoming weekend.

If you have an AIM address and don't mind PMing it to me, I'll give you a shout when it's ready. I also bump this topic every time it goes up. And if there's some better way to alert people, let me know.
    I used to play this religiously probably ~6 or so years ago. It was awesome. I might consider hitting it up tonight.
    Sweet! You'll find that not a lot has changed (except for the copyrighted music and movie likenesses being replaced), but there are some new maps to enjoy.
    There are not enough western FPS games or mods, I swear. I'll let this download while I'm out at work tonight.
    So true, hope to see you on the next session!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    plehpleh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I keep getting this could not write to q3config.cfg error when I am playing and every time I load up the game, it doesn't save the video, mouse, or player settings, so I have to reset all of those every time I play.

Ideas?

pleh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    pleh wrote: »
    I keep getting this could not write to q3config.cfg error when I am playing and every time I load up the game, it doesn't save the video, mouse, or player settings, so I have to reset all of those every time I play.

Ideas?
    I've heard some things about that too but never have gotten it myself. You could try manually editing default.cfg and saving it over your q3config.cfg, things might stick that way at least. Might just be some permission errors too.

ALSO: THE SERVER IS UP!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Server up man, come on I just got this and told some others too get it.

Need my fix

Also do pistols just suck?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Server up man, come on I just got this and told some others too get it.

Need my fix

Also do pistols just suck?
    Haha, sorry we stopped for tonight. Pistols are pretty good, tonight on dm_fort I was doing great just buying two Remingtons and clicking both fires simultaneously. That usually got me some easy kills so I'd highly recommend it.

There should still be some servers up, there's a list here: http://www.serverspy.net/site/?link=1&action=result1&orderby=r.rank&orderway=asc&game=2&type=smokinguns

Or just look at the in-game browser and flood one of your choosing with some friends. Enjoy!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do the bots just not have 10 health or what, jesus.

edit: oh jeeze I join a server and the people tell me I have a handicap giving me 10hp.

whoops

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do the bots just not have 10 health or what, jesus.

edit: oh jeeze I join a server and the people tell me I have a handicap giving me 10hp.

whoops
    Now THAT is pro play!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The people were all "Thats some handicap meta"

and I was like sup.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    andkoreandkore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Damn, I played this a few years back. Downloading tonight, I'll play whenever there's some people on. Thanks for getting this going OP.

andkore on
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    -Groucho Marx
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fuck this

I'm gonna host a goddamn server when I figure it out goddamnit

Need more guns to smoke.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    andkore wrote: »
    Damn, I played this a few years back. Downloading tonight, I'll play whenever there's some people on. Thanks for getting this going OP.
    No problem, hopefully we'll have the usual server shenanigans on Saturday night around 6 PM CST. Might even go CRAZY and host one on Sunday too (a real hooligan, I am)!
    Fuck this

I'm gonna host a goddamn server when I figure it out goddamnit

Need more guns to smoke.
    That would be cool, especially if you hosted more frequently than me (I pretty much only do it when my friends gather over here). You'd be better off hosting it on a Linux distribution, but the most important thing you need to know how to do is forward ports if you're on a router.

Here's my post on hosting a Windows server at the Smokin' Guns forum: http://www.smokin-guns.net/viewtopic.php?p=11352#11352

I host the one in the OP on an Ubuntu box, which actually helps things run smoother on dm_train. But otherwise I haven't had problems in the past with a Windows XP server.

Also, here's some great tips and strategy for new players (in addition to reading the manual): http://www.smokin-guns.net/viewtopic.php?t=1314

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The server is back up @ mbii.ath.cx!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I miss Quake Paintball and Action Quake.

rayofash on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Whoa, only just noticed this. Looks pretty cool -- and free! I dig me some westerns and haven't seen nearly enough western games. Will have to give this a download.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I just recently watched The Man with No Name trilogy so I'm pumped for some good western shooters.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Did I spawn on somebody? Haha. I'll join again in an hour or so.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    rayofash wrote: »
    Did I spawn on somebody? Haha. I'll join again in an hour or so.
    Hahaha, yeah you did.

Thanks for showing up, hope to see you next weekend!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Smokin' Guns @ mbii.ath.cx

If you still need to download it go here: http://www.smokin-guns.net/template.php?pa...ff5a1885a678665

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The server is back up, see the above post if you need the download information again.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Good games to everyone who showed up, server's down.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Smokin' Guns @ mbii.ath.cx

If you still need to download it go here: http://www.smokin-guns.net/template.php?pa...ff5a1885a678665

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I donno if anyone still has this game but we've got a server up at mbii.ath.cx!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There's some bigot cowboys with Smokin' Guns playing tonight at the server "mbii.ath.cx" just so y'know.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png