As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me a PSP

subediisubedii Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Unfortunately forum search doesn't like 3-letter searches, even of exact terms, so apologies for a thread that's inevitably been made already by other people.

Anyway, I was thinking of picking up a PSP for myself, and I had a few questions.

I was tossing back and forth between a PSP and a DS(i), but I'm also looking for something that can play music and movies on the go, so that pretty much nudged me in the direction of the PSP.

So anyway:

1- Does the screen scratch easily? Do I need a screen protector?

2- Is there likely to be a new model or a PSP2 coming anytime soon?

3- How do I tell the difference between a PSP-2000 and a PSP-3000? Or is any PSP I pick up in a store these days going to be a 3000 model?

4- Is the software Mac compatible?

5- What sort of movie formats can I play? Is it easy to watch, say .MKV's? DivX? Would I need to download special software for that? Otherwise if I need to convert files, is that an easy process, and is it easy to keep things like the optional subtitles in .MKV files?

6- I've heard about homebrew, and I'm not too interested in that stuff apart from maybe the occasional app (mainly media players if the PSP can't handle different file formats). How easy is that stuff to get running? Do I risk bricking the thing if I do?

7- I've heard most games have annoyingly lengthy load times, is that true?

8- What's kind of battery life can I expect on gaming / movies / music?

9- How's internet browsing?

10- Any recommended peripherals or extra's I should get when buying?

Comments, advice, stories, all welcome.

subedii on

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like the PSP-3000 because of the rich feature set, built in mic, and Skype abilities. The only screen protector you need to worry about is getting is a PlayGear Pocket. This is a required purchase for any PSP owner, it is not a choice.

http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Logitech-PlayGear-Pocket-Slim-Sony/dp/B001D1HCGA

Fits easily in your pocket.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Homebrew, as far as I've heard, is currently impossible with off-the-shelf PSPs.

If anybody's broken it yet I'd like to hear about it, seeing as I don't follow these things closely.

freakish light on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    1) The Screen does not scratch easily, but I would recommend a screen protector and/or a decent case.

2) There is not likely a new model or PSP2 to be released any time soon (the next year or so), although there are several firmware revisions coming down the line (support for achievements, apparently).

3) PSP-3000 have a built-in microphone and a brighter screen. Other than that, the PSP-3000 is the same as the PSP-2000. There's scan-line/ghosting hype that amounts to people playing games under bizarre lighting conditions and zooming in close to the screen on screenshots. In actual play, you won't notice it.

4) What software? You just need to know how to get things on a Sony MemoryStick Duo. Or possibly a USB cable (in which case, the Mac should recognize it as a USB storage device). There are some third party software solutions that make this easier, though, like iPSP and the like. I personally just stick the memory stick into my media drive and drag and drop files.

5) It uses its own movie format which is similar to Mpeg-4. There are many walkthroughs on the intarwebz, like this one for the Mac.

6) Homebrew is forbidden to discuss on these forums.

7) Only specific games have annoyingly long load times. The PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 have a built-in UMD cache that greatly reduces the load times. If you are used to playing PS-2 games, then that's about the length of load times you can expect. There are also a variety of games that can be played directly off the Memory Stick like Patapon and Jeanne D'arc.

8) 2-4 hours on the older models when running the UMD a lot. 4-8 hours when running things from the Memory Stick. On suspend mode, I've had the PSP Phat (1000 series) play a couple hours, sit for a week without charging, and then played a couple more hours without going down to low battery.

9) It's passable. Text input is annoying, but one would expect that without a keyboard. The large screen is a plus.

10) I would recommend an external battery or spare battery and a large (4 Gb or more) Memory Stick.

I'll try to dig up the older recommendation threads. But to be honest, I'd base my decision on a portable system by the kind of games I intend to play on it. Otherwise, you might as well get an iPod or a Zune. And with older PSPs and DSes selling for cheap, you can probably buy one of each for the same price as one of the new systems.

EDIT: Older threads on this subject:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=78677
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74719

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a first gen PSP, and haven't kept up on the developments the last couple years, so I'll only speak to what I can.

1) If you care about scratches, you absolutely need a screen protector. I have a Logitech Playgear for mine, which is a nice case but has openings which allow in dirt. I tend to be anal with my electronics and keep them in top condition, yet my screen still has several large scratches (I don't have a screen protector).
    (Edit: this is compared to a brick Gameboy, GBC, GBA. They were all much harder to scratch than the PSP)

4) The main interaction between your computer and the PSP will just be accessing the memory card. It is recognized as a standard USB device so yes, it works fine with Mac. If you have a combo card drive in your computer that will also work of course (if it has support for memory stick pro duo). If you want to convert movies etc, I can't speak to that as I'm a PC fellow, but I think Handbrake can take care of most of it? The standard IPod format will work on PSP, so you can share media between them.

5) If you are using a standard firmware (not homebrew) the PSP supports .MP4 and I think that's it. If you do go the homebrew route there is software to play DIVX movies. I haven't tried it personally though.

6) Mine is homebrew enabled. I don't have a PS3, so some of what I like about homebrew you can do through the PS3 remote play. Things such as streaming media from your computer to your PSP through WIFI (which supports any format you're computer can read, as it transcodes it). You can also put PS1 games on your PSP, which actually makes them look pretty nice on the small screen. And you can purchase old used games for ~$1. I'm not sure if we're allowed to speak towards enabling homebrew, but it's a fairly safe process and if you do brick it can be recovered. However only certain models (meaning not the newest) can be hacked, so look it up before purchase. The main advantage of Homebrew in my opinion is the use of ScummVM which allows you to play old LucasArts games (Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen are free as in beer). There is also DosBox for it which can let you play Descent etc.

7) Load times are bearable, but annoying. From the UMD they may be upwards of several minutes (worst case scenarios). Anecdote-wise: LocoRoco they're what you'd expect. ATV offroad fury: I make a sandwich while it loads a level (~90 seconds). Monster Hunter Freedom I check my WoW auctions while it loads a level (~60 seconds). Mind you, these are all initial loads for things, and they are not that frequent, so it's bearable (if you restart a level it'll still be in RAM) but they are long. Homebrew can improve access times considerably.

8) Battery life is okay. Maybe 8 hours-ish gaming, couple movies, haven't tried it for music.

9) It has a primitive tabbed browser which displays things fairly nicely (the PSP does have a really pretty screen) but low memory, and large pages will not load. Which is a lot of pages. You can choose to have no images, which will allow you to access the ones that won't load. Navigating is fairly easy to do. HOWEVER, it has the absolute worst input system imaginable for letters. One thing to note here: if you get an old PSP they have an infrared port on the top. If you have homebrew you're able to use a PDA infrared keyboard as input.

10) The main thing is just getting a large enough memory stick for whatever you want to do. And a nice case, and a screen protector. UMD movies are extremely cheap too, so you can stock up on those.

Rotting Meat on
    edited February 2009
    7) Load times are bearable, but annoying. From the UMD they may be upwards of several minutes (worst case scenarios). Anecdote-wise: LocoRoco they're what you'd expect. ATV offroad fury: I make a sandwich while it loads a level (~90 seconds). Monster Hunter Freedom I check my WoW auctions while it loads a level (~60 seconds). Mind you, these are all initial loads for things, and they are not that frequent, so it's bearable (if you restart a level it'll still be in RAM) but they are long. Homebrew can improve access times considerably.
    Note that these are numbers from a PSP-1000 series without the UMD cache or playing from the MemoryStick (odd, considering you are running homebrew). PSP-2000s and PSP-3000s have a UMD cache, which greatly reduces these times. Monster Hunter load times are around 10 seconds or less, playing from the UMD.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Get a PSP-2000, but CFW on it.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Please note that I'm going off of the 2000 model, as I don't have the newest one.

1- No. I keep mine in the pouch it comes with, and haven't had any problems. Of course, it depends on your use. Having a screen protector is never a bad thing.

2- Very doubtful. It'll be at least a year.

3- Camera and mike. The box should also display the model id. I would imagine 2000's are still on the shelf as well.

4- You talking about the Sony store? I would imagine so.

5- You will need to convert it, but theres a ton of programs that do it for you.

6- Currently, 3000's have not been unlocked. Unlocking a 2000 is easy. Depending on your method, bricking your PSP may be possible, however it is unlikely to permanently destroy your PSP. Please note that specifics (how to unlock, where to find, etc) on this topic are against PA Forum rules.

7- Anecdotal. I don't experience any huge load times. Depends on the game I guess.

8- Mine generally last all week on one charge, with usually about 1 -2 hours use per day.

9- Ugh, just entering in the fucking URLs is a pain in the ass.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Note that these are numbers from a PSP-1000 series without the UMD cache or playing from the MemoryStick (odd, considering you are running homebrew). PSP-2000s and PSP-3000s have a UMD cache, which greatly reduces these times. Monster Hunter load times are around 10 seconds or less, playing from the UMD.

Yep, thanks for clarifying that. Those are worst case scenario, and using the oldest hardware. I just never got around to buying a large enough memory stick for the games, so obviously the load times didn't bother me completely, but they are worth noting if you're asking about them.

Rotting Meat on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    6) Homebrew is forbidden to discuss on these forums.

Since when? There's a 43 page DS homebrew thread that mods have never complained about, and a PSP homebrew thread from a couple weeks ago. As long as you're talking about legal applications and not emulators or roms, it's fine.

elevature on
    edited February 2009
    2 ) Piracy and emulation :

* These may still be discussed as news issues, but any passing mention to methods, techniques or resources is strictly not allowed. Any violation of the above rule is grounds for immediate banning. Just don't do it.
    I am not a moderator, nor am I a lawyer. I should have been a bit more precise, but the whole thing about Custom Firmware (CFW) falls under the above rule (or at least, that's how it has been pointed out to me by other forum-goers). My guess is that homebrew software is acceptable as long as it doesn't discuss the techniques used to compromise the consoles to PLAY homebrew, although I will note that default PSP firmware will now play games natively without modification (as seen with Patapon and other MemoryStick downloadables).

I definitely don't want to dump on this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    2- Is there likely to be a new model or a PSP2 coming anytime soon?

From the Sales Thread:
    Couscous wrote: »
    This post brought to you buy crazy rumor #35345.
    http://www.vg247.com/2009/02/23/source-psp-4000-has-sliding-screen-is-complete-aesthetic-overhaul/
    VG247 has learned that PSP-4000 does have a sliding front-screen, with a highly-trusted source confirming fresh details on the unannounced machine this morning.

PSP-4000 is not PSP2, but rather a “complete aesthetic overhaul” based on existing PSP tech.

Much is now known by some parties of the console, which will be announced at either GDC or E3 this year, but cards are currently being clutched very tightly to chests.

The revamp does have a sliding front-screen, and we’re assured the design being currently touted isn’t a million miles away from this now-infamous image.
    Can't see it being that popular if it is somehow true.

If it's true, it's still a ways off, so I probably wouldn't be worried.

Anyway, for the other questions..

1) Never had a problem with mine as a fairly early Fat, but I've had mine in a Hard Case (that serves as an additional battery and speaker system) since I bought it. I can just charge it from in there, and play it in the propped up position. Not technically how it's supposed to be used, as the case was marketed as a "Home Theater" thing, for the UMD movies, but I make it work. It is pretty bulky because of the case, however, so if that's not exactly an option, I'd probably go with somebody else's answer for this.

3) It'll say on the box. As well as the mic hole.

4) Not a real clue, but I'd say so.

9) I enjoy it, actually. Don't expect it to be a computer-level browser or anything, but if you just want to check more text-heavy sites, it should be fine. Mostly, I just use mine as a checker for a game FAQ or something as I'm playing it on another system.

10) I'd recommend a big memory stick if you get a PSP at all. There's going to be a good amount of PSOne classics hitting the Store, if we're being told right, and they take some space. Not to mention you'll need the space for Music and movies and whatnot.

Also, a case like I described (Actually This is what I have) would be nice for the protection, the extra battery life, and the speakers. I wouldn't flat-out recommend it to you, since I don't know if you can find one anymore (And I don't know the price; I got mine as an opened product for cheap), at least for a Slim/Slim and Light, and mine isn't perfect (The battery of the case starts draining slowly as soon as it's unplugged, and the hinges keeping the top from opening fully broke and got lost inside it) but I don't dislike it at all. If you could find something like that, and you have a bag to carry it around in or really deep pockets, you'll be set.

As far as an actual recommendation on getting a PSP, I'd say to go for it really. I don't do a lot of handheld gaming, but when I do, I generally do it on my PSP, Poke'mon aside. It really is a nifty little system and I don't regret getting mine at all.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just picked up Wipeout Pulse today, and at full unlocked 333 MHz and put on the memory stick, which I'd estimate reduces load times by at least 50 percent, it's fucking glorious.

A lot of questions have been answered, but to the homebrew/custom firmware point: We can't talk about the nuts and bolts of how to do it and where to go to find things, but if you can find an older PSP-2000, suffice to say it's really easy to do, costs maybe $15 and is amazingly worth it, even if all you do (like me) is rip your own UMDs and PS1 games.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As for 5), PSP Video 9 is a wonder. It takes the file, and can make it widescreen, change visual/audio quality, and converts it automatically.

Not sure if it works for Mac or not.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You have a tossup on the screen protector:

Either you end up with a scratched screen, or a screen that's every so slightly muddled due to a screen protector (and the possibilities of air bubbles, dirt, etc underneath said protector)

That being said I vouched for a screen protector on both my PSPs and while I'm glad they don't have scratches sometimes the film being over the screen is fucking annoying (and I've got a few dust particles underneath)

Getting a SP on properly is possible but hard.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    I just picked up Wipeout Pulse today, and at full unlocked 333 MHz and put on the memory stick, which I'd estimate reduces load times by at least 50 percent, it's fucking glorious.

Yeah wipeout pulse is great. I bought it at Target for $9 on clearance. What an unbelievable value. Actually just today I was listening to its music while programming at work. (With Custom firmware you can make it so it charges off usb even when in games)

If you can, try to find an older psp-2000. I think all the black ones should be crackable. The newer bundle ones though are locked similarly to the psp-3000. (You can't brick a psp when you use a pandora battery, you can always get it back).

I've been tempted to get a psp-3000 due to its nicer screen, but I really don't want to give up running games off the memory stick. Its just so convenient to not have to swap games and it loads faster and lasts longer.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never got the point of screen protectors. Both the PSP and the DS have a protective plastic layer over the actual LCD screen, is it really that impossible to open the thing up and replace that, rather than mess around with protectors (and just end up with a scratched protector, which is visually the same thing, except you know that underneath all that the plastic cover is still okay. Theoretically. Because you're not taking the protector off)? Surely someone makes replacements of those?

Glal on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's easier (and most likely cheaper) to replace a piece of plastic film than it is to replace the entire plastic "lens". Plus, you know, you'd probably have to open up the system to remove the original plastic layer as opposed to just pulling off the film and sticking another one on.

Also, if you've ever found air bubbles or dust stuck between a screen protector maddening, imagine what will happen when you get some dust stuck between the LCD Screen and the plastic layer. Believe me, that shit becomes ridiculous to clean up, and screwing with it will inevitably make the situation worse.

As for putting on a protector in any sort of satisfactory manner, the less you mess with it, the better. Also, scotch tape usually works pretty well to get stray dust particles off the screen or protector.

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited February 2009
    Meh, if I broke open my battery in the name of homebrew I can unscrew a plastic shell. Certainly easier than getting a screen protector on, aligned, and without air bubbles or dust. Applying the custom decal to my DS Lite felt like an epic undertaking compared to cracking open a battery and playing with its internals.

Glal on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What's so great about homebrew? Aside from the illegal applications, what else is there?

I'm being serious, I don't own a PSP but if I ever did I don't think I'd care if it had homebrew or not, I just want to know why I should.

UnbreakableVow on
  • MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The main thing for me is the ability to copy my UMDs to the memory stick. No loading/pausing in games and no carting around stupid UMDs..
    Developers are finally figuring out it out and giving you the option to copy UMDs to the stick legitimately atleast..

ShellIR is nice too; ability to play MP3s and the like while gaming, or using your PSP as a notebook.

You can live without it, but I wouldn't.

Magitek on
    edited February 2009
    Magitek wrote: »
    The main thing for me is the ability to copy my UMDs to the memory stick.
    A million times this. I don't need to carry my UMD collection with me, don't waste time with extra loading times and have improved battery life.

Glal on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    A million times this. I don't need to carry my UMD collection with me, don't waste time with extra loading times and have improved battery life.

Why the heck is this not a standard feature of the PSP, instead of forcing people to use a workaround?

I never understand Sony sometimes.

subedii on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Why the heck is this not a standard feature of the PSP, instead of forcing people to use a workaround?

I for one would like this seeing as I have a library of over 40 PSP games... I cart them around in UMD 8 cases in my bag.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited February 2009

They kind of are. You can choose to buy PSP games through the store to save directly on your memory stick. (As in, rather than buy the UMD) It's not anywhere near the full library, of course, but it's viable to buy a game to play directly off your memory stick.

Allowing people to copy the games = piracy. As in, it will eventually become that, not that it is that by merit.

There's not really any other way about it. At least not one that I can think of.

Darth_Mogs on
    edited February 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

They kind of are. You can choose to buy PSP games through the store to save directly on your memory stick. (As in, rather than buy the UMD) It's not anywhere near the full library, of course, but it's viable to buy a game to play directly off your memory stick.

Allowing people to copy the games = piracy. As in, it will eventually become that, not that it is that by merit.

There's not really any other way about it. At least not one that I can think of.

If we're talking about a machine with no homebrew on it, then it ought to be easy to allow ripping of the software onto the memory stick in a manner that's specific to that PSP and won't run on someone else's. If the machine does have homebrew on it then it's a moot point anyway.

Devs and publishers always do this, they get so frigging obsessed with PIRACY! that they hamstring their own games and devices whilst the pirates are still free to go about their business.

subedii on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think i could do without a CFW-enabled PSP, for the reason of performance, as has been said already.

I've never condoned stealing-all the ISOs on my memory stick are of games that i physically own, and were ripped by me.

Whilst some games, such as Tekken etc. are well-optimised for PSP performance, with low UMD access times, some of the lazier ports, such as the Metal Slug Anthology and SNK collection, are vastly improved by being on mem. stick rather than UMD, and not only from the 'loading times' perspective either; I recently bought the King of Fighters collection which, as many will attest, is near-broken in its native form, with long access times, laggy sounds etc., however these problems are fixed when ripped to the memory stick.

So if some corporate law asshole's deifinition of piracy includes being able to correctly play the game that i bought, then aharr matey, a pirate i surely be, and FUCKING PROUD OF IT.

DusT_HounD on
    edited February 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Just lock the ISO to some key generated by the machine itself, that way casual players can't do anything with it. Non-casual players can already do it anyway, protection or no, so you might as well pass the benefit on to your customers.

Glal on
    edited February 2009
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    So if some corporate law asshole's deifinition of piracy includes being able to correctly play the game that i bought, then aharr matey, a pirate i surely be, and FUCKING PROUD OF IT.

In actuality you're breaking the DMCA, so yes, that probably does come under the legal definition of piracy, or technically some other "infringement" related crime.

Which to me just expresses how screwed up the entire field of intellectual property has gotten over the decades.

subedii on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, i thought that might be the case- i find it pretty hilarious, though. Especially in light of the fact that using this method is the only way of getting the machine to run the software in the way it was originally intended. (Unless, of course, it was intended to run like shit... Seriously- did Ignition Entertainment actually do ANY testing on the KoF collection?)

DusT_HounD on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If they're that worried about piracy, just make it like the 360 where you have to have the game disk (or in this case, UMD) in the system when you're playing it even though the system is reading it off of your memory card/hard drive.

RainbowDespair on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What's so great about homebrew? Aside from the illegal applications, what else is there?

I'm being serious, I don't own a PSP but if I ever did I don't think I'd care if it had homebrew or not, I just want to know why I should.

This has been said a bunch already, but ripping your own UMDs to a memory stick pretty much solves two of the system's biggest flaws: Slow load times and low battery life. It essentially makes the PSP a cartridge-based system, which is what everyone wanted in the first place anyway. Going back to Wipeout Pulse: I wish I could clock it but I didn't bring the UMD with me at work, but if I were to estimate, the initial boot to the game's main menu on UMD took maybe 10-12 seconds. On a memory stick, it boots in about 2 seconds. Add up how you have a load screen before and after every race and it adds up really quickly.

There's also the convenience of having your games all on one stick. I have an 8GB stick and a 4GB stick, and I have pretty much all of my 13 games with me, plus a ton of videos and music.

Additionally, custom firmware lets you unlock the system's full processor speed. The PSP's processor can run at 333 MHz, but for many games it's actually underclocked to 222 MHz (I assume to improve battery life, amongst other reasons). But with a custom firm you can force it to run at any speed you want, which drastically improves frame rates.

I stayed with the official firmwares for ages for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned in the beginning, but even if you don't touch a single piece of homebrew software, it's totally worth the $10 or $20 it costs to go custom firm if you can.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    6- Currently, 3000's have not been unlocked. Unlocking a 2000 is easy. Depending on your method, bricking your PSP may be possible, however it is unlikely to permanently destroy your PSP. Please note that specifics (how to unlock, where to find, etc) on this topic are against PA Forum rules.

New 2000s on the shelf right now have the same kind of motherboard as the 3000s, which means they're also hack-proof at the moment. You want to get an older one, probably used or maybe in one of the early bundle packs.

freakish light on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

New 2000s on the shelf right now have the same kind of motherboard as the 3000s, which means they're also hack-proof at the moment. You want to get an older one, probably used or maybe in one of the early bundle packs.

Wasn't aware of that, good clarification.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited February 2009
    If they're that worried about piracy, just make it like the 360 where you have to have the game disk (or in this case, UMD) in the system when you're playing it even though the system is reading it off of your memory card/hard drive.

I considered bringing that point up, and while it's not a bad idea, the biggest complaint about not being able to copy games onto the memory sticks is because they have to carry around the UMDs. Which, the 360 install does nothing for that issue.

And to everybody bringing up points against my post, I'll just say You're right. I'll admit to not putting a lot of thought into the Game copying thing, and your points are pretty good ideas, really. I'd go for that kind of convenience. But I do say the big hitch with the idea as it were would be with the Rental/Resale racket. Since I really can't wrap my head around it right now (too busy thinking about the new line-up of games announced)...
    Glal wrote:
    Just lock the ISO to some key generated by the machine itself, that way casual players can't do anything with it. Non-casual players can already do it anyway, protection or no, so you might as well pass the benefit on to your customers.

If that were possible, what's stopping somebody from buying a game, copying it like they're allowed to, and then selling the game to somebody or a store as used or something? I'm not trying to argue points, I'm just trying to think of a way it'd be possible.

Darth_Mogs on