As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can an Ending Ruin/Save an Entire Game?

GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
I was talking with a friend recently who played Fallout 3 and was loving it up until the end. He seems to hate the ending so much that it retroactively destroyed the fun he had with the game up to that point. I remember there being quite an uproar over both Half Life 2 and Halo 2's endings, although being part of a trilogy makes that somewhat expected.

One odd thing is that I rarely ever see endings mentioned (positively or negatively) in reviews. Is this because reviewers don't typically finish the games? Would saying it was good or bad be impossible without going into spoiler territory?

I have to admit, Eternal Sonata's ending was so nonsensical it tainted my perception of the game. On the other hand, I thought Lost Odyssey's was good enough that it helped overshadow the fact they lost their way on the latter portion of the story.

Ganluan on

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jurassic Park on SNES has the honor of having the most shit awful ending to a reasonably hard game in my book. I will never forget the disappointment from that one.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For many game designers, endings are last priority in the planning phase simply because of the unfortunate fact that most people don't finish games.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The problem with putting endings in reviews (or forum threads...) is that "the ending sucks" is a pretty big spoiler on its own (*cough* Fallout 3 and Fable 2 threads *cough*). I know for me, hearing that a game has a bad ending makes me want to play it a lot less. And yes, a bad ending can ruin the experience of a story driven game. This is a bit of a problem, since you can usually tell how a developer's resources/time were becoming strained near the end, so it ends up feeling rushed or incomplete fairly frequently.

This is also why I wish video games, in addition to getting better writers, would also get better editors. The number of glaring plotholes that you can only miss if you're too close to a project is a bit irritating, especially if the writing had been fairly good up until something completely random or illogical shows up.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Final Fantasy X was barely tolerable until I got to the huge cop out of an ending, then Final Fantasy X was a terrible time sink that will never allow me to reclaim those lost hours.

Sheep on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How about an ending (or a bad one) you weren't expecting after investing a lot of time into a game?

I put 40+ hours into Ogre Battle 64 and got the worst ending I could, wasn't even going for it.

Man did I feel terrible about it after.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think endings get mentioned when they just stand out as being either really good or really bad. Endings are for the most part, I think, mostly meh. I have favorites though, God of War 2 being a recentish example.

I don't remember the HL2 ending as being bashed. Actually, I liked it. Was very similar to the end of HL, so much so that I was waiting to jam my guns into G-Man's face and was looking foward to getting back at him (not so sure that will play out due to how the story in EP1+ has developed, but still...)

Actually, I think the ending of Portal was what made the game stick out to me. It was a fun game, yes. I'm not debating that. But the end? Added the icing that turned it from a well baked good to a pitch perfect cake (yes, another Portal/Cake reference). I soooo want my wife (who doesn't play games) to play that game just so she can understand the "Still Alive" song that we play on Rock Band 2.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Team ICO make incredible endings.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bad endings can dissapoint (or even enrage, such as Halo 2). But ruin the entire experience? I think thats a little excessive. Certainly, I may not want to play the game again.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I enjoyed Far Cry 2 even though it got somewhat repetitive...it was still fun to play.

Then, the ending was so much of this: D:

I'll probably never play it again just because of the ending alone.
    Nasreen...how could you? After all we'd been through together...we were a TEAM! :cry:

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wouldn't say bad endings bother me much in fantastic games...but then, I didn't think Fallout 3 or Fable 2 had bad endings.

If I'm enjoying a game all the way through, I've found I'll generally enjoy how it ends unless there's a huge tonal shift or it just feels unfinished (say, KOTOR2).

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    How about an ending (or a bad one) you weren't expecting after investing a lot of time into a game?

I put 40+ hours into Ogre Battle 64 and got the worst ending I could, wasn't even going for it.

Man did I feel terrible about it after.

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw the thread title. It doesn't help that at no point in the game do they explicitly tell you how to get a good or bad ending. I didn't even think it was an especially "bad" ending though. Fuckers kicked me out and got what they deserved - and I like to think Magnus leads the barbarian hordes that eventually engulf the country.

Of course, that didn't even come close to ruining OB64 for me; and to be fair, I did beat it again to get the "good ending." Then again to get all the chaotic characters and the full bad ending (and extra final encounter). Then a few more times because fuck I love that game.

I'm what you might call an Ogre Battle fanboy though.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ah, KOTOR 2 was another good example. The endings that people later uncovered would have been fantastic if the the studio had been given time to implement them.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's tough because bad/abbreviated/glazed-over endings can really choke the impact of an otherwise great story, but the opposite extreme is not the answer either. I beat MGS4 more than a month ago, and I'm pretty sure it would still be going if I hadn't just pulled the plug on it.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the thread author and I agree about Lost Odyssey losing its way during the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the story, but after that we disagree because I thought the ending trivialized the rest of the game.

The short stories are still good though. They aren't really connected to the game, so that helps.

Renzo on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No one has mentioned BioShock yet.

What made that one especially disappointing is that the last 15 minutes felt like they were leading up to something gloriously epic. But then you get this cliche mutant battle and bullshit story resolution.
    I always wanted a family? That's funny, I don't recall that fact being brought up at any point during the story.

It didn't really ruin the game for me though, just knocked it down a few points.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The last 15 minutes weren't the only thing wrong with Bioshock. I had a problem with the last 3 or 4 hours. After the big thing happens (you know what I mean) the game's momentum took a nosedive.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »

What made that one especially disappointing is that the last 15 minutes felt like they were leading up to something gloriously epic. But then you get this cliche mutant battle and bullshit story resolution.
    I always wanted a family? That's funny, I don't recall that fact being brought up at any point during the story.

It didn't really ruin the game for me though, just knocked it down a few points.

The evil ending doesn't disappoint though.

Falstaff on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    As long as a game has a fucking ending these days, I'm happy. That is the worst fucking trend the game industry has indulged in recently.

Here's a pro-tip for developers: You want to make a trilogy of games? A trilogy is three self-contained stories that tell a larger story when put together. It's not one story chopped up into three pieces.

Fuck.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    I think the thread author and I agree about Lost Odyssey losing its way during the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the story, but after that we disagree because I thought the ending trivialized the rest of the game.

The short stories are still good though. They aren't really connected to the game, so that helps.
    If a clean divorce of story from its game results in zero content loss, the story doesn't need to be in a game.

I'd love to have a printed collection of those shorts.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »

I wasn't going to mention Bioshock specifically... but yeah... My favourite example of this, even if most people disagree with me :lol:
    The problem with Bioshock is that everything after the great twist was utter crap, and it kept getting worse. The Big Daddy change had no lasting impact, your silly moral choice was reduced to saint or devil with no ability to change, and the final boss/ending were unbelievably bad. And really, after Fort Frolic, nothing really felt that atmospheric to me anymore. On top of all that, the gameplay sucked. I could have let that slide and enjoyed the game if the story managed to continue engaging me, but once the twist was done it was just a waste of time.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The last 15 minutes weren't the only thing wrong with Bioshock. I had a problem with the last 3 or 4 hours. After the big thing happens (you know what I mean) the game's momentum took a nosedive.

I was bored after the first hour or two. Some of the story was okay, but the enemy variety was lame, the Big Daddy fights uninspired and the "morality" choice so gamey that it removed any sense of importance.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Neverwinter Nights 2. Maybe it didn't ruin the game, but a splash crayon drawing of Elton John would have been preferable to that abysmal final cutscene.

To answer the question in the topic, I'd say it can. I agree with your friend; Fallout 3 would have been regarded as 100% phenomenal if not for that ridiculous ending setup, though I suppose it was already headed downhill for the last third (right after
    your father is killed for no good reason
    ). But either way, the "choices" they give you are stupid as hell, unjustifiable within the gameworld, and the final cutscene is just poor, poor, poor.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    As long as a game has a fucking ending these days, I'm happy. That is the worst fucking trend the game industry has indulged in recently.

Here's a pro-tip for developers: You want to make a trilogy of games? A trilogy is three self-contained stories that tell a larger story when put together. It's not one story chopped up into three pieces.

Fuck.

I'm with you here. Star Wars is a great example. Each movie tells a story, but you put them together and you get a bigger story.

Indiana Jones and Back to the Future kinda work too, but with those it's really just 3 episodes involving the same characters.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Regarding the Fallout 3 ending specifically:
    I was particularly aggravated it was so forced in an open world style game. I couldn't set Fawkes in instead? Not to mention I popped some Rad-X and was still fine until I "died".

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I was bored after the first hour or two. Some of the story was okay, but the enemy variety was lame, the Big Daddy fights uninspired and the "morality" choice so gamey that it removed any sense of importance.

Yeah, but we're talking about endings.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I was particularly aggravated it was so forced in an open world style game. I couldn't set Fawkes in instead? Not to mention I popped some Rad-X and was still fine until I "died".
    The fact that they actually show Fawkes doing exactly the same thing not half an hour beforehand is really mindboggling. It's like they had two separate teams doing the main game and the ending.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

My love loss for Lost Odyssey was directly tied into the addition of each new character.

Once I got to the chick with the tits, I had pretty much stopped caring about them all.

Sheep on
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bioshock's ending made the game go from "Oh my fucking God this game is brilliant" to "I might play this again at some point, maybe." The last hour of the game and the Boss were just so mediocre and run-of-the-mill.

X3x3non on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The first time I recall being absolutely disappointed by a game ending was with Mario 64.

You know, what with it being most kids first foray into this giant 3D Mario world with kickass Bowser fights you'd think Nintendo would have also cooked up this wicked end cinematic for you, but nope!

"Let's go eat cake!"

WELL YOU ARE FUCKING WELCOME PRINCESS!!!

At least Super Mario World and RPG gave you a parade and shit.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

My love loss for Lost Odyssey was directly tied into the addition of each new character.

Once I got to the chick with the tits, I had pretty much stopped caring about them all.
    How does that differentiate her from any other female character? Like, she carries them around in a bag? Sells them?

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Neverwinter Nights 2. Maybe it didn't ruin the game, but a splash crayon drawing of Elton John would have been preferable to that abysmal final cutscene.

That ending really pissed me off. It really soured me on the series.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Post Blue wrote: »

How does that differentiate her from any other female character? Like, she carries them around in a bag? Sells them?

They're big, pale, and veiny. Probably the first in video games.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    To address the other half of the OP's question, I don't think a good ending can possibly save a bad game. But then, when a game is really bad, how often do you make it to the ending?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The fact that they actually show Fawkes doing exactly the same thing not half an hour beforehand is really mindboggling. It's like they had two separate teams doing the main game and the ending.

Keeping in mind you can also have a robot or ghoul sidekick, which would ignore or enjoy the radiation bath respectively.

Anyways, Fallout 3's ending didn't even dent it in my eyes. I just used it as a good reason to retire my first character, and then restarted with a new morality goal and with no incentive beyond exploration. I found this to be a significantly more enjoyable way to play the game.

I understand that the ending is bad, but I kind of found the whole main story bad, so it didn't really do anything besides give me some closure so I could move on.

Falstaff on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd say that the only endings that ruin games for me are ones that completely invalidate/undo everything you've been working towards for the past 10-20 hours.

Obvious example:
    The new Prince of Persia

Most other forms of media can get away with these kinds of last-minute twists, both because they represent a far lesser time investment and also because they haven't required the audience to actually carry out the 'undone' actions. Of course, as mentioned,
    Team Ico
    manage to skillfully enter this territory without leaving the players feelling robbed.

Of course, many game endings are lacking simply due to the developers going "We've run out of game, let's wrap this up as quickly/simply as possible". Endings that succeed seem to 1) have been considered as an integral part of the story during the entire development process, 2) be the most impressive part of the game visually or in terms of gameplay, and 3) not a half-baked signpost for a trilogy that may never be made. This last one is very important.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Heh, no one has said Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy yet.

Such a big shame.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Post Blue wrote: »
    Birds for sale!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    MesanixtaMesanixta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Kingmaker module for Neverwinter Nights had a great story...until the ending. It left a sour taste in my mouth and made me regret the whole thing.

No One Lives Forever was a fantastic experience throughout, but its spectacular finish will forever lodge the game in my mind as one of my all-time favorites.

Tomb Raider Chronicles had a pretty lame ending but it didn't ruin the game for me.

Did anyone finish Beyond Good and Evil? It had a halfway-decent story and I always wondered how it ended.

I guess it just depends on how good the story is. If the game sucks you in, you expect it to have a good story throughout and if your expectations are shattered then it affects your perception of everything else about the game.

If you don't care about the story to begin with, then the ending probably doesn't matter. I know I sure as hell wasn't disappointed in Doom's ending.

I haven't finished many games lately, though. I mostly play multiplayer.

Mesanixta on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The final fight in BG&E was fucking terrible. I was already dealing with simplified controls, being a port and all, but when they busted out the "hahaha now your controls are flipped for this fight!" chestnut I told them to go to hell and watched the ending cutscene on Youtube.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have to admit, Eternal Sonata's ending was so nonsensical it tainted my perception of the game.

While I wouldn't say it tainted my perception of the game, it was absolutely dreadful.

And that Mr Snail shit? WTF? D:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg