As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Give me back that fillet-o-fish! (Lent thread)

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, you can't give up guilt and be Catholic. It's impossible.

I guess I need to go to mass tonight and get the ashes of last year's palms smeared on my forehead. Take the boy with me so he learns how to feel guilty like his old man.

Hunter on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man I don't even know what my own religion is.
    Am I an atheist if I can't remember what I believe?

No.

Words mean things.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I gave up being a Catholic.

Just kidding, I was never Catholic.

Ruckus on
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For lent every year me and m'friends always do 'the contest' from Seinfield. Yay first day of not whacking off upwards of 3 times.

Wezoin on
    edited February 2009
    I used to be Catholic.

Then I got too old for anyone to make me go to church.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Being a Catholic is hard work man. Having to go to church on both Easter and Christmas, and then ducking the priests all the rest of the year is a chore. Also, they want their 10% and are no longer happy with a five in the basket anymore. Apparently some Catholic churches in the area were calling people out on being light in the donation envelopes. In the church bulletin. Ouch.

Hunter on
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ever since I got out of Catholic school, I never remember not to eat meat on Fridays during Lent.

I remember this girl I used to hang out with who was super Catholic and (coincidentally or not) a super bitch. Many times I would eat meat in front of her on those Fridays. It was so funny to watch someone get genuinely offended about that.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Generally I find it more fulfilling to do something extra for Lent alongside giving something up. For the last few years I've been making my way through the Gospels, and this year I'm up to the Gospel of Luke. I'm also giving up extraneous sugar.

Also, for all Catholics, a reminder that today is supposed to be a fasting day. So no meat, but also much less food in general.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited February 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    Generally I find it more fulfilling to do something extra for Lent alongside giving something up. For the last few years I've been making my way through the Gospels, and this year I'm up to the Gospel of Luke. I'm also giving up extraneous sugar.

Also, for all Catholics, a reminder that today is supposed to be a fasting day. So no meat, but also much less food in general.

If you're going to get technical, no birth control, sex before marriage, and give them 10% of your total income for the year.

Hunter on
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Last year I gave up the internet for all purposes other than academics.

I considered giving up meat or dairy this year, but then remembered I'll be in Mongolia in a couple days, so I would die.

Fire Truck on
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »

If you're going to get technical, no birth control, sex before marriage, and give them 10% of your total income for the year.

Not even just premarital sex. Cohabitation before marriage is also bad.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sometimes I feel like going and taking communion just for kicks.

Weaver on
    edited February 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like going and taking communion just for kicks.

I want to bring in a condiment packet of some sort, and just squeeze some ketchup on there

JohnHam on
    signature.png

edited February 2009
    I want to sneak in and decorate the chalice used during communion with diamonds that says "Krunk Juice" on it. If you're going to drink alcohol out of a cup made of gold, might as well go all the way Padre.

Hunter on
    edited February 2009
    omg let's all go to church together at PAX.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

what the hell? ten percent?

I always thought it was a "throw in a dollar if you like" sort of deal

so that means there's one church employee for each church-goer?

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
    edited February 2009
    spono wrote: »

No, I believe it is based literally on a line from the Bible that dictates one give a certain percentage of income (or total wealth?) to charity/the Church each year.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I have no plans to give anything up for Lent.

Dynagrip on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JohnHam wrote: »

No, I believe it is based literally on a line from the Bible that dictates one give a certain percentage of income (or total wealth?) to charity/the Church each year.
    tithing, 10%

I never tithed and I'm better off than my parents who do, so y'know.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't forget the secret loophole of Lent: the 40 days of Lent do not include Sundays, so you can do whatever you want on Sunday.

This is advice for people who want to sort of give stuff up, but not really.

JoeUser on
    edited February 2009
    C'mon you guys ChurchPAX

Who's with me? It'll be awesome, I swear.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

A tithe which is roughly 10% and it was to the community for sacrifices usually in the form of livestock and produce... it has just become nuanced into money.

GRMike on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man I don't even know what my own religion is.
    Am I an atheist if I can't remember what I believe?
    Alstimerist.

Whose solom vow is too...where did I put that vow again...

Bedlam on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jordyn I would go to a churchpax

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would go if I got to lead singing. In Latin.

GRMike on
    edited February 2009
    I don't even go to church not-pax

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jordyn wrote: »
    C'mon you guys ChurchPAX

Who's with me? It'll be awesome, I swear.

only if you pay for the gas

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited February 2009
    I have not been inside a church in 4 years.

10 years if you don't count funerals.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Mysst wrote: »

tithing, 10%

that seems like a crazy amount of money

also I meant "one church employee for every 10 church-goers" because the other way doesn't make sense

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
    edited February 2009
    shit I totally forgot my made-up religion of faerie shamanism

I had all of these tenements of it too shit

Weaver on
    edited February 2009
    last church I was in was for a wedding.

and not a very good one at that!

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited February 2009
    mysst start tappin' some strange poon already

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    So it's ash Wednesday; day 1 of 40 days of self sacrifice for everyone's favorite denomination of Christianity. Though I am less devout than even your laziest C&E Catholic I do try to observe lent but purely for personal reasons.

How many other recovering Catholics here will be eating fish, chowder, and mac n' cheese today and every Friday for the next few weeks?

lol religion thread

I am prone to forgetting about lent, and I think I am going to shift my fasting this year to Saturday, because I usually go to the gym on Friday and need protein. When possible I will substitute tofu, but eating tofu and fish every friday for six weeks with my spotty memory is likely to end in religious failure.

I don't think we will go and get ashes today, either.

sarukun on
    edited February 2009
    our mom drags the family to chuch every christmas eve

dad's a jew, so I guess if he's gotta go, I've gotta go

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
    edited February 2009
    I'm goin' to a party on friday, we'll see.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    naporeon wrote: »
    I'd totally be giving up booze for Lent.

If, you know, I were Catholic and not an alcoholic.

Ain't nothing or nobody making me give up booze.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Geek wrote: »
    Maybe I should tape a little picture of Bruce Campbell to my forehead today.

Awesome.

sarukun on
    edited February 2009
    Mysst let's go be wrestlemania tag-team champions

Weaver on
    edited February 2009

tithing, 10%

also I meant "one church employee for every 10 church-goers" because the other way doesn't make sense

I am not Catholic, but I have never been to a Church that demands you give them 10% of your money or else...

GRMike on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

tithing, 10%

sure it goes

papa.jpg

SOLID GOLD BRAH

Faricazy on