As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's so enthralling about being sad? What are your own favorite tear-jerkers?

JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
This idea was a purely speculative one that grew out of my own obsession for the past few days with this one episode of Angel, "I Will Remember You." Sarah Michelle Gellar's performance was just so perfect for the scene. And there's just so much history behind their relationship, and to have it and then lose it like this?! It's hitting me harder than most storms on record.*

That's a metaphor for other sad entertainment moments, not a reference to actual storms.

In any case, that's only my own story. The thread is about discussing the rather simple be substantial question of why we like to be made so sad in the first place.

Myself? It's a weakness. Sad movies. Sad moments. I always, always want a happy ending. And truly, it has little to do with a happy or sad ending. Good endings stick with me no matter what, no that I think about it.

But I wonder what makes it seem like it's the sad endings which stick the hardest and strongest? Is it human nature? Just me? Am I just depressed? Too existentialist?

Is it actually the tragic moments that resonate the longest? Is that just a character flaw that I allow that to happen? If I were whole more mature would I instead allow for those to pass through me? Not losing their significance, but losing the... the aftershocks?

Finally, what makes you sad? What are some of your favorite sad moments? Of books, movies, television shows, theatre.

The kind that rip your heart to pieces, but that you just couldn't imagine having never seen or experienced?

I'm glad to feel so broken and wronged by this unutterably tragic episode. I would curse anyone who offered me a chance to forget it. What's that about?

JamesKeenan on

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it's because it's more relatable - and I don't mean that cynically. Movies have happy endings that are so convenient that I have trouble really taking them seriously. I find characters less sympathetic because I notice the little shortcuts taken by filmmakers to make whatever happens possible. Case in point because I just watched it the other day:

The end of A Knight's Tale was a 'happy ending'. The problem I saw was that
    when Rufus Sewel's character was charging in the last bout when Ledger was unarmored, you could see him have the lance set aside, not even trying.

That's not to say they're not all like that, but enough are, I think, to make an ending 'forgettable' because it doesn't resonate with us. Powerfully sad endings, however, do because the only reason we find them sad is that the characters have become real to us and we share in that pain. We're not pushed away by some bad plot device, but drawn in by the desperate futility of whatever it is the character is failing at.

Anyway, WALL-E comes to mind, but I don't think that counts because PIXAR ultimately lets the audience off the hook.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Anyway, WALL-E comes to mind, but I don't think that counts because PIXAR ultimately lets the audience off the hook.

In addition to most of the questions I asked in the OP particularly the last, really, I really want to explore this line of thought.

What about it do/should we mean, "let off the hook"?

First of all, the exact same "cheating" could be said about any movie, good or bad. There are probably proportionately as many examples of sad movies with "cheats." Plot devices and events which don't make sense, but exist only to assure the 'tragic' ending.

That is what I meant about "good" endings meaning the most rather than happy or sad. I meant good as in 'quality.' I suppose it's just so phenomenally easier to write out "nope, everything is shit" than trying to plan how the characters could possibly make happiness.

You've written in a clever conflict. Now you've either got to write in an even more clever resolution, or just let the characters fail.

But going back to "letting them off the hook."

Why couldn't it have been, "The audience was rewarded?" "Letting them off the hook" really paints the picture as if melancholia should be the default position of human emotion.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For me the problem is that so many good endings feel dishonest to me - not in the sense that "Nothing good ever happens in this world, happiness is just a lie, now excuse me while I go and cut myself!" but in the sense that they're stripped of all ambiguity, which is just not how the world works. I can't believe in a film that ends on everything being okay, the hero getting the girl, the bad guy being out of commission for good etc. etc. I can buy that in a fairy tale or similar genres, but most of the time happy endings are so overdone that they simply come off feeling phoney to me. I feel that I'm being lied to. (Added to which, unless a film is written very well I often think that it doesn't deserve its happy ending. It's the whole deus ex machina thing, with the deus in question being an inept scriptwriter.

At the same time, completely negative endings suffer from this as well, although perhaps I don't mind as much because there are fewer of them. My favourite films/books/games have bittersweet or highly ambivalent endings - something that Joss Whedon sometimes does to brilliant effect. Brazil is another example of this, although a very dark one: you can argue that considering everything that has happened,
    the fate of the main character constitutes the closest you can get to a happy ending.

Edit: What you say about melancholia - I don't think it's the default emotion for la condition humaine, so to speak. It is, however, probably my default emotion (which may have something to do with clinical depression in my case) and I would definitely say that it has an influence on what resonates with me in fiction.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It may be exactly the opposite, though, that 'let the audience off the hook' means you set them up to be depressed or angered by your ending and they're expecting it, but you turn it around.

Going back to what I said, I think perhaps I overthought the happy ending.

If we're moved by a movie to the point that we cry, that we physically express our emotion, then like I said in my first post, those characters have become real to us. Maybe it's not so much that we remember the sad endings better than the good inherently, but that movies that make us feel sad are more memorable in their entirety because of how emotionally attached we became as simple viewers.

The notion that you're remembering the sad endings more may be bias, or maybe it's just that movies with sad endings only work if the audience becomes attached, whereas if you're going with the cliched 'happy' ending, you don't have to work so hard - if the audience isn't really attached, oh well. A happy ending without the attachment may seem sappy or cheesy, but a sad ending without the attachment becomes boring or awkward. I think writers and producers are more willing to accept the criticism of trying and failing to create a happy ending than they are with a sad, so sad endings may be approached with more care.

I dunno, now I'm rambling.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Don't forget that unhappy endings are often necessary in ongoing mediums like TV shows (and comics), purely because it provides ongoing conflict and drama that fuels the narrative of the show. If Buffy and Angel get together and have their happy ending it might well kill the show because who wants to continue watching something that's already had a happy ending? Also, Angel and Buffy couldn't get together in any permanent way because once they do it kills off character development outside of their relationship. And they couldn't always be stuck in will they/won't they territory because that does the same thing.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Don't forget that unhappy endings are often necessary in ongoing mediums like TV shows (and comics), purely because it provides ongoing conflict and drama that fuels the narrative of the show. If Buffy and Angel get together and have their happy ending it might well kill the show because who wants to continue watching something that's already had a happy ending? Also, Angel and Buffy couldn't get together in any permanent way because once they do it kills off character development outside of their relationship. And they couldn't always be stuck in will they/won't they territory because that does the same thing.

From a "we need to keep this show going to make money" perspective, I understand where you're coming from.

But looking more at, "How the hell does it end?"

I tend to prefer happy. Angel and Buffy may never have been able to be together for completely different, legitimate reasons.

But the manner in which Whedon strung his characters along, drew out and exacerbated their pain?

Terrible, but I couldn't imagine taking those pieces out.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's not just about keeping the show going to make money, but also about keeping the show going by not backing characters into a corner. Once a will they/won't they affair is given a happy ending it's often the death knell of creativity in the show. Niles and Daphne as a couple were much less fun than Niles yearning after Daphne, for example.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If we're moved by a movie to the point that we cry, that we physically express our emotion, then like I said in my first post, those characters have become real to us. Maybe it's not so much that we remember the sad endings better than the good inherently, but that movies that make us feel sad are more memorable in their entirety because of how emotionally attached we became as simple viewers.

This may be important.

The thing that springs to mind is this. I want to believe that a story can have all the emotional impact and connection as the most despairing, saddest, more gut-wrenching story ever. I can't seem to think of, off the top of my head right now, some amazingly high quality books or stories where all the characters actually all got what they wanted in the end, and it turned out good.

The notion that you're remembering the sad endings more may be bias... sad endings only work if the audience becomes attached, whereas if you're going with the cliched 'happy' ending, you don't have to work so hard - if the audience isn't really attached, oh well.

Yup, yup.

A happy ending without the attachment may seem sappy or cheesy, but a sad ending without the attachment becomes boring or awkward. I think writers and producers are more willing to accept the criticism of trying and failing to create a happy ending than they are with a sad, so sad endings may be approached with more care.

Happy endings are certainly more popular.

I wonder now if it is easier or not to create a meaningful sad story, or a meaningful happy story. I guess it doesn't matter at all, and this is completely unrelated. I mean, by the end of it, if it's good you're hooked and if it's not, you're not. The quality or happiness of the ending is completely unknown and irrelevant to whether or not you are attached by time the ending arrives.

I dunno, now I'm rambling.

And I've been the model of crystal clear thought and brevity.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2009
    Because somewhere deep inside us, we're always expecting a happy and good ending. It's how stories are written. You were raised for the first decade of your life on "Happily ever after." The sad ending is an unexpected twist. CHANGE BAD! Or rather, at the very least, more memorable than the status quo.

Of course, it's also somewhat of a loaded question. The only time you care about a sad ending is if you're emotionally invested in the characters, which means that the movie and story is enthralling you, ergo you're going to be attached to it regardless of the ending.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Of course, it's also somewhat of a loaded question. The only time you care about a sad ending is if you're emotionally invested in the characters, which means that the movie and story is enthralling you, ergo you're going to be attached to it regardless of the ending.

Yes, I'm aware of that bit. Hence the stipulation about quality in the ending is ultimately what matters more.

Followed by my question of why it can feel that sad endings resonate the longest. And whether or not it was just me. And then if, perchance, it was something about a more despondent resolution that actually had a little more power over us, or some of us. And then of course why that is...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2009

Yes, I'm aware of that bit. Hence the stipulation about quality in the ending is ultimately what matters more.

Followed by my question of why it can feel that sad endings resonate the longest. And whether or not it was just me. And then if, perchance, it was something about a more despondent resolution that actually had a little more power over us, or some of us. And then of course why that is...

Because it sticks out and is unusual. A standard happily ever after isn't much of a stinger.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Because it sticks out and is unusual. A standard happily ever after isn't much of a stinger.

Never cried because you were happy?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2009

A.) No.
    B.) What does crying have to do with it? Endings are only memorable if you cry?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    B.) What does crying have to do with it? Endings are only memorable if you cry?

No, that's not precisely what I meant.

I was more talking about how a powerful, happy moment can have the same kind of crippling, overpowering emotional effect that a traumatic, tragic one can have.

Give me a moment or a day to really try to think of a solid, good example.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Field of Dreams: 'You wanna have a catch?'.

ABLOO ABLOO ABLOO

Bogart on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Because somewhere deep inside us, we're always expecting a happy and good ending. It's how stories are written. You were raised for the first decade of your life on "Happily ever after." The sad ending is an unexpected twist. CHANGE BAD! Or rather, at the very least, more memorable than the status quo.
    Eh, there are loads of crap movies with bad endings. B movies seem to pride themselves on having the worst ending possible, possibly operating on the same assumption that doing so will somehow make it a more fulfilling experience than a happy one. It really doesn't.

As has been said, it's all about the movie before it. If the ending fits and completes a rounded whole then the ending will resonate with you, happy or sad. If it feels out of place or cheated then it can easily ruin a movie (I hate it when they make a big deal out of a character dying, then bringing them back. Hate).
    My favourite kind of ending is a Happy At A Price one- the protagonist succeeds, but his journey was not without a price. If done well it can be extremely powerful.

Glal on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Pursuit of Happyness. Emotional roller-coaster. But that's an example where the ending is a good one for the protagonist but still has an emotional ending.

Million Dollar Baby - jesus the ending is sad
    Miracle

But as others have said, a good emotional reaction to a movie (whether that reaction is of happiness, or sadness, or anger, etc.) means that you were emotionally invested in the characters in that movie.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-ds/6787-how-does-ds-link-up-wii.html
    After reading this. It sounds like you can play your DS on the TV.
    Just to be sure. This isn't true is it.
    I laughed, I cried.

Glal on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have to admit it....

...Legends of the Fall.

"Samuel!"

Of course, what followed was a scene of utter badassitude, so I don't feel too guilty about that one.
    Scalp those German sons of bitches

Although in a way a worse scene later in the movie was when...
    Anthony Hopkins comes out on the porch after having had his stroke. He just seemed so broken and simultaneously so happy to see his son again.

EDIT: And how could I forget the scene in the car?

Duffel on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    marley_me_poster12_25.bmp

Bye. . .clearance puppy.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well your first mistake was wanting a happy ending from Whedon. Whedon abores love.

Ludious on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Especially if you actually go and listen to the music the kid talks about in the book.

Qingu on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I gotta admit, Marley & Me got me.

I think people like these movies because it makes them feel something. Alot of times I like just turning my brain off and watching Bruce Willis somehow survived explosion after explosion. Sometimes I like an intricate story line and trying to figure out what's going on. And sometimes I like to have something get past all my emotional barriers and force me to express myself emotionally.

I don't do that all that often.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Battlestar Galactica has some really tragic moments, that really make me feel for the characters.
    Season 3 spoiler:
    Ellen dying at the hands of Saul, and how he handles the grief/guilt over it, especially when seeing Adama for the first time tears me up every time.
    Season 4:
    I've not yet watched that scene after the latest revelation that Ellen was a Cylon as well, and is in fact alive, so I'm not sure how it'll play now.

In books, I found Stephen Baxter's Evolution incredibly depressing, though not necessarily sad when I first read it.
    It follows the line of humanity all the way from our shrew-like ancestors, into the distant future and the last of humanity (de-evolved back into apes) being forced to sacrifice her only offspring. Humanity dies with a whimper, and it really fucking got to me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    In books, I found Stephen Baxter's Evolution incredibly depressing, though not necessarily sad when I first read it.
    It follows the line of humanity all the way from our shrew-like ancestors, into the distant future and the last of humanity (de-evolved back into apes) being forced to sacrifice her only offspring. Humanity dies with a whimper, and it really fucking got to me.

Oh wow...

Ouch... Yeah, man. I couldn't be forced to read that.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's not an ending, but the old man killing himself in Shawshank Redemption.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright, well.

Here's a song by a band none of you will like, that always gets me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m46fBHCpHI
    (Sorry for the stupid slidshow)

Might as well get the Fry's dog thing out of the way too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18GiPfCEqK4

I'll post up more later as I think of them.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh man, not Jurassic Bark. That gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME. WHY DID I WATCH THAT AT WORK?!

I see your Jurassic Bark and raise you the ending to Forrest Gump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAV-Ogaq12A

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    Oh man, not Jurassic Bark. That gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME. WHY DID I WATCH THAT AT WORK?!

I WILLL WAIITT FOR YOUUU!

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey, Wait...

^My favorite book. Sad.

Also, I don't think that all endings are either happy or sad. For instance, was the ending to Lost in Translation happy or sad? I'd say neither.

MrMister on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bridge-to-terabithia-3-800.jpg

Sniff. I have a friend who refuses to watch it after his first viewing.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Magnolia. I watch it on an HDTV a few years ago. Alone.

Man that was some shit.

JAEF on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rohan wrote: »

I watched that with my girlfriend at the time

We cried... alot

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rohan wrote: »

I watched that with my girlfriend at the time

We cried... alot

My copy of the book from childhood is tear-stained.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think any movie has hit me as hard as the end of A Scanner Darkly. The subject matter of the movie is uncomfortably close and the dedication from Dick at the credits cinches it.

I think bittersweet or depressing entertainment can be enjoyed for the richness of the emotion itself, but there's also something to be said for it as an act of exorcism and confrontation of our own darker feelings.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Two terrible tearjerkers I recall the most:

Here Comes Garfield
    There is a scene where Garfield and Odie are at the pound, and things look bleak... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjnvW3DHrmo&feature=related

And then there's Voices of a Distant Star, a rather artsy anime about mecha star combat...
    But it's actually about an increasingly long-distance relationship, as communication takes longer and longer as one of the two people goes deeper into space to fight off the alien scum, and it's clear that they're never going to get back together, but every week, then month, then year they get to send a message...

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Something that I run across a lot is the notion of heroism inspiring tears. When people are being really heroic, standing up to impossible odds, or dying to save another it really gets to me. A big example of this is the following, probably the most emotional scene I've ever come across.

The final duel between Luke and Vader in Return of the Jedi. Luke loses it completely, giving into his fear and anger about his loved ones being threatened. They he gets punked by the emperor, and you just watch someone who is almost the pinnacle of heroism (refusing to kill Vader) being destroyed by pure evil. Then the heroism of Vader, killing the emperor to save his son. Writing this is kinda choking me up, and I get misty-eyed when I hear the music from that scene.

That's kind of sad/happy/badass and it has the side effect of being really nerdy.

A really good one for just outright sad, Requiem for a Dream. I'm not sure there are words for how incredibly depressing the end of that movie is. However, it's a great movie, a fantastic story paired with a really deep emotional resonance.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    An Affair to Remember, when Cary Grant meets Deborah Kerr at her apartment and she's forced to pretend that she stood him up because, for whatever reason, she's too proud to admit that she's paralyzed. Her motives make no sense, but the tragedy of it just get to me.

Another scene that has this effect is the one from The Royal Tennenbaums where Luke Wilson's character is shown breaking down on the tennis court.

Finally, for whatever reason I think the scene from Kung Fu Hustle where Stephen Chow breaks the mute girl's lollipop.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A Walk To Remember was sad
    She was sooo nice!!! It wasn't fair.

But yeah, that and 'Big Fish' are my sad movies. Sooo depressing.

Which I like. I also thought Wall-e was a copout. If they had left the roach dead and Wall-E mind wiped that would have easily been my favorite pixar movie.

Spectral Swallow on