As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outdated On] TF2 Thread: The Lockening.

TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
This is an on topic thread. It's under the microscope so keep it on topic or they will lock it again.

TEAM FORTRESS 2
Where we take business seriously.
Serious People, Serious Business.

keepcryingk.jpg

Herein is a team based multiplayer FPS by Valve. It rocks. The best resource for questions pertaining to one of the nine classes is either asking in game or TF2 WIKI DOT NET. They have everything from what damage each weapon does to (sometimes outdated) HOW TO PLAY VIDEOS. We have servers for the community and friends:

ALL PASSWORDS ARE: WANG

Job's
Hyperbolic Drama Chamber
Normal server with sourcemod for votes. Recently has had lag problems.
66.55.142.242:27015

JonXP's
JonXP's Server
Regular vanilla server. No votes. Significantly less lag. It's a trade off.
tf2.finalmeasure.com

PMAvers's
House of Non-Conformity (Not for Critics)
Definately not for critics. PMAvers does a great service by weeding through FPS banana and picking out the interesting/non-crap maps for us to play on when people vote for dustbowl on Job's for the 17th time in a row.
208.167.243.68:27015
Download the Map Pack now so you dont have to later.
Extract to: Steam\steamapps\<your account>\team fortress 2\tf\maps

SERVER BANNERS:
b_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.png

Server owners: Please PM me your donation information or if there are any changes to your servers.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There is no real PA TF2 Steam Group. The HoNC has a Honc Night group that occasionally announces a custom map night, but that's about it. To get involved and meet people post here and add the servers to your favorites and hop on.

Join us on IRC: irc.slashnet.org #paforums_tf2

MISCELLANEOUS TIDBITS:
General Public: "Where do you get that snazzy signature image?"
Me: "from http://steamcalculator.com where our forum friend Alabaster "Suds" Slim has done the great service of providing them to us."

QUESTION: How do I make my screenshots not some fucktarded format?
ANSWER: Enable developers console in your advanced settings and hit the ~ key. Then type "bind F5 jpeg" and hit enter. Done.

QUESTION: Where do I get news pertaining to TF2?
ANSWER: Valve's TF2 Blog

QUESTION: Why does that one guy complain all the time?
ANSWER: It's goose. Just let it go. 8-)

Try not to dick around too much in the thread so our community doesn't get banned from the forms. K TIA.
Supper3.jpg

sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
TK-42-1 on

• Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    People need to give me feedback on the lag situation on my server. To me all the lag seems gone now after the patch. Also I'm updating sourcemod today so voting will be back.

Here are the banners for the OP

b_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.png

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Too bad I won't have time to play until Saturday, how goes the scout items?

deveric on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    job, how do i admin on your server without sourcemod? do i need rcon or something?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    but
    but we can talk off-topic in the se thread and it won't really matter!

Fuga on
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    job, how do i admin on your server without sourcemod? do i need rcon or something?

Yeah, you would need rcon access, which I don't plan to hand out. This is usually how it goes after a big update. Sourcemod breaks and there is a day or two lag for me to fix everything. Hopefully it should be up and running shortly.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    oh, okay. people were telling me that you'd removed SM permanently and i thought, "what? he's not about to hand out rcon, i remember from when he set up the server"

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Orikae does that mean you'll be able to change maps when they're crap, I look forward to that. Because some maps are crap.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So the baseball seems really hard to avoid, but at least it's on a huge recharge. If you have two ubers and one gets stopped, you can still charge past with your second one.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wasn't able to play so much yesterday due to a lot of RL stuff, however today is a different story. I still think that the FAN is pretty bad when looking at it compared to the scattergun.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm somehwat disappointed with the new weapons. The Force-A-Nature looks and sounds impressive, but beyond melee range the actual power is not that great, which is especially bad because it knocks enemies further away from you by design. It's also annoying that you can't use it in the air without launching yourself even farther away from the target as well. Bonk could be great to get past sentries on CTF maps but personally I use the pistol far too much to give it up outside of situations like that, and I haven't tried the Sandman yet but losing the double-jump is just too big of a downside.

I think this might be the first class update where my default loadout will just end up being all the original weapons.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I wasn't able to play so much yesterday due to a lot of RL stuff, however today is a different story. I still think that the FAN is pretty bad when looking at it compared to the scattergun.
    It's pretty annoying if you're a pyro.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    So the baseball seems really hard to avoid, but at least it's on a huge recharge. If you have two ubers and one gets stopped, you can still charge past with your second one.

How many Baseballs do you get? How does it work?

deveric on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I thought it was going to take me forever to get the achievement for killing a medic with an uber.
    Not that it's ever been that hard, but it seems like when I go for a certain achievement it becomes nigh impossible.

Then on the last point of goldrush on defense I charged into a dense crowd of blues and shot once. I one shotted a medic with an uber and I was so happy. Then I climbed up on to the battlements, whacked out a ball, and got moon shot on a demoman.

One more achievement for the energy drink.

I love this update.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Just how far is this knockback when you hit someone? If it's enough to punt a Pyro out of range, that's pretty serious.

Also, does FAN knock ubers around? Because that would be an incredibly hilarious way to break up a rush - punt the Doctor into the sky.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am quite pleased with the secret spy update. The new backstab is much more responsive, and makes it perfectly clear if you're getting a backstab or not. If you're lined up against someone's back, you don't have to worry about them dodging while your animation happens.

Another feature I found handy is seeing enemy names while disguised. Originally, I thought it was a minor add, but it enables you to see if there is a cloaked spy about, since their name comes up. It adds more to the spy vs. spy games (which I inevitably lose).

Also, being able to switch weapons while disguised is a nice little QoL feature. It may not do much extra, but if someone hesitates on a spy check because they see a pyro wielding a shotgun or fireaxe, that may be all you need to get your business done.

Unfortunately, there are way too many scoots on the servers, and scoots are hard to backstab. I find myself backstabbing the same people over and over since they're either not a scoot or a scoot that has a habit of running backwards into me.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You get one baseball. After you shoot it, there is a bar that slowly recharges. When it's full you get another ball. It takes around 10 seconds.

But you can also pick up your ball again if you miss, and you can also pick up the balls launched by other scouts.

The FaN knockback isn't that powerful, also doesn't work on ubers. I sue it mainly because it looks cool and you just feel badass when you kill people with it.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    FaN is good for creating space which can be really useful in some situations. if you can get in and separate the medic from the heavy then its not that hard to take them both out. nothing makes a medic freak out like being moved from the sphere of protection around their target.

edit: the new backstab is fucking tits. sap-stab is incredibly fluid now

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Just how far is this knockback when you hit someone? If it's enough to punt a Pyro out of range, that's pretty serious.

Also, does FAN knock ubers around? Because that would be an incredibly hilarious way to break up a rush - punt the Doctor into the sky.

Knockback is less than a pyro's air blast. Though it's still useful, since at the very least it slows your target down.

The knockback is really helpful because when someone gets knocked into the air, they can't dodge. First shot to knockback and the second shot to (try to) kill seems to be a good plan with the gun.

Slicer on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, way to stick your guns, G&T.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Time for small image dump.

It's everyone's favorite dramatic heavy death!
    pl_goldrush0026.jpg

Always painful to see.
    cp_dustbowl0017.jpg

A cool action shot.
    cp_dustbowl0018.jpg

!
    pl_goldrush0027.jpg

What is he doing?
    cp_dustbowl0005.jpg

Shabooty on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would just like to point out that I am the Heavy in the OP laying down the Minigun ass loving.

Is there any serious news on when the next MEET THE video will be out? I crave the medic.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad Belty made it into the OP.

The FaN isn't exactly great but I do enjoy it. The reload time is rather short but the damage at any distance whatsoever is pathetic. I try to use it in conjunction with the sandman whenever possible.

The sandman is pretty fantastic and hilarious but I can't see using it in open maps when the game returns to normal. Only to be used for turtling!

Bonk energy drink is high situational and I don't think I'm ever going to use it.

I still have my weapons I used with the unlocker but that may be because I got a lot of achievements in 'normal' play.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got my scout unlocks taken away for a week.

Not that I care because they're all gimmicky shit and I promptly reverted back to the defaults after the requisite half an hour of tossing baseballs about and giggling like an easily-pleased girl.

The only good part of the update was the new voice work, and they can't take that away from me!

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mumbly did you keep your medic/pyro/heavy weapons?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It was kinda funny but yesterday someone pointed out that even though the scout got updated there are still more pyros then scouts.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Orikae does that mean you'll be able to change maps when they're crap, I look forward to that. Because some maps are crap.

Job currently hasn't got changemap or scramble teams as admin commands.

Hint hint.

ps: votescramble never ever works because people are selfish/proud.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    I will play with you dudes later maybe

bongi on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    With all the new scouts, Natasha should be pretty fun to use.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    scramble teams is bullshit because the map is usually almost over and it resets the timelimit/round count

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    scramble teams is bullshit because the map is usually almost over and it resets the timelimit/round count
    No it doesn't and it hasn't for quite some time, but people still think it does which is why they need to be beaten.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    I will play with you dudes later maybe

Sounds good

Don't mind me if I threaten to track you down and murder you for ingame screw-ups I'm a hate filled monster who nobody likes

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    TheScruple wrote: »
    I am quite pleased with the secret spy update. The new backstab is much more responsive, and makes it perfectly clear if you're getting a backstab or not. If you're lined up against someone's back, you don't have to worry about them dodging while your animation happens.

Another feature I found handy is seeing enemy names while disguised. Originally, I thought it was a minor add, but it enables you to see if there is a cloaked spy about, since their name comes up. It adds more to the spy vs. spy games (which I inevitably lose).

Also, being able to switch weapons while disguised is a nice little QoL feature. It may not do much extra, but if someone hesitates on a spy check because they see a pyro wielding a shotgun or fireaxe, that may be all you need to get your business done.

Unfortunately, there are way too many scoots on the servers, and scoots are hard to backstab. I find myself backstabbing the same people over and over since they're either not a scoot or a scoot that has a habit of running backwards into me.

More attention needs to be drawn to this. Pyros need to start setting everyone on fire now.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also, I'm taking suggestions for stuff to put in the OP. I dont have the luxury of copying stuff out of OPs past since most are locked and i dont want to dig through the source code

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    woo BEAST! Fortress 2 wooooooooo

that is all I have to add to this, i always enjoy when i'm paid attention to

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    Also, I'm taking suggestions for stuff to put in the OP. I dont have the luxury of copying stuff out of OPs past since most are locked and i dont want to dig through the source code

Wouldn't hurt to mention that TF2 is only $10 until Friday.

Slicer on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not a fan of the baseball. Stun mechanics in PvP games are always an iffy proposition. They're frustrating for the recipient, which means people are having less fun. Plus, it often means death once you're stunned, but it's even more frustrating because you have to sit there and watch it happen. At least when a sniper gets you, it's instant.

Houn on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    28 Achievements for me, and counting.

All legitimate, thankyewverymuch.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »

Yeah, what was this earlier about someone losing their scout unlocks? Is Valve punishing people for using the achievement unlocker?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I believe so, and its about time :P.

Can't wait to scout my ass off tonight.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »

Yeah, what was this earlier about someone losing their scout unlocks? Is Valve punishing people for using the achievement unlocker?

http://www.teamfortress.com/

fail.jpg

Icemopper on
This discussion has been closed.