As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's so enthralling about being sad? What are your own favorite tear-jerkers?

13»

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I dunno, when I watched A Scanner Darkly something about it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I can't really even describe what I didn't like about it, but it felt like if there was just... something different, or added, or removed from the movie I would have completely loved it.

keanu reaves

I thought he did a fantastic job in it. Or is it just popular to dislike Reeves... ?

[surfer] dude, its like, totally popular, dude. [/surfer]

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I dunno, when I watched A Scanner Darkly something about it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I can't really even describe what I didn't like about it, but it felt like if there was just... something different, or added, or removed from the movie I would have completely loved it.

keanu reaves

I thought he did a fantastic job in it. Or is it just popular to dislike Reeves... ?

Yeah, man. He was basically a giant West Coast stereotype through the whole movie.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like a lot of movies with Keanu Reeves in them (Bram Stoker's Dracula, Point Break, The Matrix...) but he's really a pretty bad actor in all honesty, at least in the movies I've seen him in. Of course, in most of his movies you're not looking for Anthony Hopkins-quality acting anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

keanu reaves

Yeah, man. He was basically a giant West Coast stereotype through the whole movie.

cmon, its fun to act like hes a surfer all the time. it makes some of his movies more interesting.

like, woah!

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    cmon, its fun to act like hes a surfer all the time. it makes some of his movies more interesting.

like, woah!

I'll definitely give you that.

"Neo, you are The One."

"Look. Morph... eus.

You're breaking my wave, man. You're killing my viiibe."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    His acting was great in "Thumbsucker." It might have been because he was playing a giant poser, but still great.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grave of the Fireflies and Hadashi no Gen. They both get played on TV here around the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing and my wife watches them everytime. Damn you women, it's all in Japanese and it's still making me tear up.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Saving Private Ryan: "Tell me I have led a good life. Tell me I'm a good man"

God, even typing that I started tearing up. Just that pleading, it cuts me up.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A lot of good ones here, and I definitely teared up at the end of Big Fish (one of my favorite movies).

I tear up fairly easily in movies, but the only time I had to actually take a break because I could not for the life of me stop crying was in Metal Gear Solid 2.
    When Emma died it in itself was not too much for me, I started tearing up because it was emotional, but about 4 minutes into this video is when I completely lost it. It all hit me at once, how he had been searching for her for years, and how much she had missed him and how happy she had been finding him again...
    The parrot going "Hal...I miss you" completely broke me down to a big shell of a man, it took me 5 minutes before I could continue playing.

Paragon on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Have you guys seen "Atonement"? That one will get you. It will get you like you won't believe.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was real sad too. But so good. And the ending isn't that sad depending on your interpretation of it.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Have you guys seen "Atonement"? That one will get you. It will get you like you won't believe.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was real sad too. But so good. And the ending isn't that sad depending on your interpretation of it.

I, for instance, thought it was a more uplifting ending.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The ending of Synecdoche, New York. I usually sit through the credits of films just, you know, because, but this is the first movie where I just sat there because there was nothing else I could do. Everyone else that was in the theater too.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I always took it to mean, "Hey, even if everything went the same way and turned out bad it was worth it. Better to have loved and lost and all that.

But A friend of mine thought that when he said "Okay" that meant "okay lets not get together again super sadnesss! give in to the pointelessness of it all!"

But I don't think that is right.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Eternal Sunshine is my all time favorite movie. And yeah I agree, I view it as an uplifting ending.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I always took it to mean, "Hey, even if everything went the same way and turned out bad it was worth it. Better to have loved and lost and all that.

But A friend of mine thought that when he said "Okay" that meant "okay lets not get together again super sadnesss! give in to the pointelessness of it all!"

I thought it was a real happy ending, but I remember reading something where, I think it was the director, explained that the last scene where they're playing in the snow together and the shot keeps jumping awkwardly is supposed to be indicative of the fact that they're caught in a never-ending loop of falling in love, erasing each other, then falling in love again.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I thought it was a real happy ending, but I remember reading something where, I think it was the director, explained that the last scene where they're playing in the snow together and the shot keeps jumping awkwardly is supposed to be indicative of the fact that they're caught in a never-ending loop of falling in love, erasing each other, then falling in love again.

Pft, what? that can't be right. if that is what the intent was it was badly shown + kinda dumb.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    From wiki:
    There is debate as to what the repeated scene of Joel and Clem playing in the snow right before the credits means. In an interview also included with the published shooting script, Gondry said he wanted the scene of them playing in the snow to loop throughout the credits. This desire apparently sprang from the initial intent (expressed in an early script) that Joel and Clementine spent the rest of their lives meeting, falling in and out of love, getting their memories erased, and then repeating the cycle. However, Gondry said that this was not done, because it would ultimately detract from the credits.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    From wiki:
    There is debate as to what the repeated scene of Joel and Clem playing in the snow right before the credits means. In an interview also included with the published shooting script, Gondry said he wanted the scene of them playing in the snow to loop throughout the credits. This desire apparently sprang from the initial intent (expressed in an early script) that Joel and Clementine spent the rest of their lives meeting, falling in and out of love, getting their memories erased, and then repeating the cycle. However, Gondry said that this was not done, because it would ultimately detract from the credits.

Aw, that would've been good.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just finished reading "The Graveyard Book" again, and for some reason the ending makes me cry. It might just be goodbyes that do it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    seven pounds
    seven pounds
    omg the film is put together in such a way that you can't quite piece it together UNTIL YOU'RE BAWLING

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also as far as video games go, I don't know what's wrong with you if the ending of Mother 3 doesn't leave you a total mess.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    Oh man, not Jurassic Bark. That gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME. WHY DID I WATCH THAT AT WORK?!

I see your Jurassic Bark and raise you the ending to Forrest Gump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAV-Ogaq12A

Ahh and there I thought I was the only one... :|

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    My Girl. Hands down. Saddest thing ever? Perhaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFr3BkrjGhU

Yeah... that scene is just ugh. :|

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Am I a bad person for never having seen Field of Dreams?

Did the doctor get a chance to wink at the pitcher and hit a triple before he got old again?

He winks at the pitcher, who promptly hits him with a pitch to everyone's amusement. Then he hits a fly-away ball as a sacrifice, allowing the runner on base to make home while his pitch is caught making Graham out. And then the brother-in-law starts the scuffle and the daughter falls before he has a chance to get up to bat again.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited February 2009