As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My entire NES collection...stolen.

• djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    what he listed isn't worth very much... in money that is

Which is unfortunate because when you collect a lot of things don't end up being worth in dollars what it's worth in personal value. I've had records stolen before and one of them ended up being the record I got the cheapest but was one of the hardest to find and my favorite record of all time.

To the OP sorry for your loss and good luck on something turning up about it.

djklay on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    Thats what people tell me.

They stole weird shit though. And I'm not the type of person to make enemies/hang out with the kind of vagrants that roam these parts.

Old crappy silverware, a TV, a watercooler (that holds one of those 5 gallon jug things), an oscillating fan, pillowcases (probably to carry thier phat lewtz), a broken toaster, a broken cd player. Plus they drank a case of beer I was saving in the fridge. Not only did the bastards steal my NES, they drank my beer, too.

Oh well, that's what insurance is for.

"Hey, lets break into someone's house, and just steal the most redundant shit ever"

Plus a TV.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    djklay wrote: »
    Which is unfortunate because when you collect a lot of things don't end up being worth in dollars what it's worth in personal value. I've had records stolen before and one of them ended up being the record I got the cheapest but was one of the hardest to find and my favorite record of all time.

Nah, all of that crap is easily replaced, and for less than what he'll get from the insurance company. He only loses the time it'll take to rebuild.

Now, if they had stolen his autographed photo of him, Elvis, and John Lennon having a lemon party, that would be a personal loss.

Losing that handwritten birthday poem that his long dead great grandmother wrote for him on the remains of her wedding dress that was partially ruined in the Titanic disaster that was originally a blanket on the President's bed in the first White House, that would be a personal loss.

A Nintendo, 100 games, and some accessories are all easily replaceable.

slurpeepoop on
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    He's so bad.

I'd bet he's in California.

Mitsuhide on
  • Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what the worst part about you getting all of that stolen is?

The sudden uncontrollable desire to play those games you lost...

Sorry dude.

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How would I know your mother's handwriting?

...wait, don't answer that.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I agree, call in the Regginator. He will administer divine, bug-eyed justice.

reggiemonsterpic.jpg

bruin on
  • djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nah, all of that crap is easily replaced, and for less than what he'll get from the insurance company. He only loses the time it'll take to rebuild.

Easily? Is it that easy to find 100+ games for a 20 year old system? I really don't know, I don't collect old games but where I live I probably couldn't find an NES cart for sale within 600km's (course I live in the middle of nowhere). It may only take time to rebuild but then it's really discouraging to know that you've done this already and this time could have been spent doing something different. In my case it took over 2 years to track down another copy of one of the records that were stolen, that was a long time to go without something I should have had and tracked down already.

djklay on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    djklay wrote: »
    Easily? Is it that easy to find 100+ games for a 20 year old system? I really don't know, I don't collect old games but where I live I probably couldn't find an NES cart for sale within 600km's (course I live in the middle of nowhere). It may only take time to rebuild but then it's really discouraging to know that you've done this already and this time could have been spent doing something different. In my case it took over 2 years to track down another copy of one of the records that were stolen, that was a long time to go without something I should have had and tracked down already.

Ebay. They go for a few bucks a pop for the common stuff. You can also pick up a Generation NEX to replace the actual NES, assuming CV3 wasn't in your collection.

yalborap on
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you're in a game store in S. Texas and you see an NES cartridge with "Alex F." in my mother's handwriting on the front, buy it and send it to me, pls.

Define "South Texas."

Homestar Gunner on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    In most of these cases, it's someone you know. That's the sad part.

Meiz on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    In most of these cases, it's someone you know. That's the sad part.

It was with my friend.

Now, if they had stolen his autographed photo of him, Elvis, and John Lennon having a lemon party, that would be a personal loss.

Losing that handwritten birthday poem that his long dead great grandmother wrote for him on the remains of her wedding dress that was partially ruined in the Titanic disaster that was originally a blanket on the President's bed in the first White House, that would be a personal loss.

I don't know, I tend to develop a bit of a sentimental bond with my gaming stuff. Sure, more can easily be found, but the ones I have are mine, dammit.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you're in a game store in S. Texas and you see an NES cartridge with "Alex F." in my mother's handwriting on the front, buy it and send it to me, pls.

Define "South Texas."

Yeah, how far south? I live in the RGV and frequent Gamestops in Harlingen and Edinburg. If it's in the area i'll keep an eye out.

MrOletta on
  • VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    One of my biggest fears is getting robbed.

At this point I have...21 different syststems Including 186 NES games, and about 190 PS2 games. Misc. amount of games for different systems. Too many games. All over the house. I have spent years on this.

If I ever got robbed, it would probably crush my soul. Yes, I am materialistic. Fuck you. If you rob me I will kill your kids. Shh. Videogamers are not violent.

VG-Robot on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MrOletta wrote: »

Define "South Texas."

Yeah, how far south? I live in the RGV and frequent Gamestops in Harlingen and Edinburg. If it's in the area i'll keep an eye out.

EBStops don't take anything older than PS2 games.

Daedalus on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    First of all

D:

Sorry to hear man, that sucks ass big time

quovadis13 on
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I feel for you. I'm still replacing my SNES, PSX, and N64 games that were stolen a few years ago. It's such a pain in the ass to replace and I'm still getting over the anger of it. The fuckers got my Wonderswan Color that I bought in Japan too. Hopefully your insurance covers it.

Iloveslimes on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You won't find this Nes collection being sold off at Gamestops and such. It would have to be either little game shops or pawn shops, since EBstops don't take pre-playstation stuff nowadays.

I live in Austin, so I doubt the theif is here. Although, there are several little game shops here that buy/sell NES stuff.

Anyway, what an asshole. Stealing NES stuff? What the fuck.

slash000 on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A few years back some asshat stole my TG-16 express, TV adapter, and like 25 games.... i feel your pain =(

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Talk to the police. There's a form that pawn shops and the like are required to check through when buying stuff. Also, eBay.

Man, I laughed for quite some time reading that. Pawn shops and game stores (the kind that would take NES stuff) could care less about your sorrows. Nobody "checks the hot sheet", and the police (at least where I live) will do everything in their power to make you sorry you ever called them. This pretty much goes for any petty theft (and to them stacks of NES games/stacks of CD's are all petty)

I do feel your pain, and offer my condolences though, but barring a genuine miracle, it's all gone. On the bright side most of those games go for less than 5 bucks (yes even gold zelda in the box) or at least they did a few years ago when I was still "in the business". Good luck, and if you do ever find the guy, make sure you post pictures in here of the "Before and After Justice" that you lay on his ass.

Quantux on
    PSN/Steam - Quantux

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Quantux wrote: »
    Talk to the police. There's a form that pawn shops and the like are required to check through when buying stuff. Also, eBay.

Man, I laughed for quite some time reading that. Pawn shops and game stores (the kind that would take NES stuff) could care less about your sorrows. Nobody "checks the hot sheet", and the police (at least where I live) will do everything in their power to make you sorry you ever called them. This pretty much goes for any petty theft (and to them stacks of NES games/stacks of CD's are all petty)

I do feel your pain, and offer my condolences though, but barring a genuine miracle, it's all gone. On the bright side most of those games go for less than 5 bucks (yes even gold zelda in the box) or at least they did a few years ago when I was still "in the business". Good luck, and if you do ever find the guy, make sure you post pictures in here of the "Before and After Justice" that you lay on his ass.

Yeah I dont think the cops will really be able to help too much.

You know it could of been ninjas that kidnapped your collection.

Just calls some guys and make sure that they are bad enough dudes to rescue your NES collection.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It sucks that your shit got stolen, but it could've been way worse.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mugginns wrote: »
    It sucks that your shit got stolen, but it could've been way worse.

They could've stole the house!

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
    edited February 2007
    yes even gold zelda

Anyone who lives in Canada knows what the Hock Shop is right? It's basically a chain of pawn shops. (lol, I almost wrote pwn shops :P)
    So, one day i'm in there just browsing randomly, and I decide to look in the NES section for shits and giggles, to see if I could find anything interesting......

And I did.

It was shiny,gold, and said World Championship Baseball on the label.

I AM NOT SHITTING YOU.

ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY FUCKING CENTS.

At the time I didn't know what it was. I just thought; 'Hey cool, just like the golden Zelda one.'

One year passes, and I am reading an old back issue of NP that a friend gave me.(This was about a week ago. )

I'm just flipping through, all the way to the back and I see a tiny picture of that cart. Then I see how much it's worth, and how many still exist in the WHOLE WORLD. I never bought it.

My soul has been crushed knowing that the cart could still be back at that shop, or in the hands of some sweaty shop keeper not knowing how coveted that little piece of plastic really is.

I die a little everytime I remember seeing that article. :(

Mitsuhide on
  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Geezus man, sorry about the stuff. I have a roommate who, after reading this, would make it a personal crusade to get your stuff because. He feels the same way about his equipment.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Mitsuhide wrote: »
    yes even gold zelda

My soul has been crushed knowing that the cart could still be back at that shop, or in the hands of some sweaty shop keeper not knowing how coveted that little piece of plastic really is.

Did you ever go back and look?

Squashua on
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    yes even gold zelda

I fucking want to, but that was a long time ago. Hell nobody even looks in that section anymore, plus I moved away from that town. I gotta check if it's still there next time I visit my friends. Wait, oh shit I think they closed it! oh crap, oh crap a million times crap! FUCK! Last time I was there that same building didn't say Hock Shop anymore! Oh man, I gotta go back NOW!

Mitsuhide on
  • thej3wthej3w Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yes even gold zelda

I fucking want to, but that was a long time ago. Hell nobody even looks in that section anymore, plus I moved away from that town. I gotta check if it's still there next time I visit my friends. Wait, oh shit I think they closed it! oh crap, oh crap a million times crap! FUCK! Last time I was there that same building didn't say Hock Shop anymore! Oh man, I gotta go back NOW!

Good rule of thumb, if Nintendo made it, and it's gold. BUY IT.

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    thej3w wrote: »
    yes even gold zelda

Am I mad, or was World Championship Baseball an Intellivision game?

Are you talking about a Nintendo World Championship cart?

slurpeepoop on
    edited February 2007
    thej3w wrote: »
    yes even gold zelda

Am I mad, or was World Championship Baseball an Intellivision game?

Are you talking about a Nintendo World Championship cart?

Yeah, something like that. All I'm positive about is that it said World Championship on it. Oh man, what was it like 28 of them made, EVER? :( Gawd, I should of bought it. I just assumed it wasn't worth much because it wasn't Zelda.

Mitsuhide on
  • Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    One time in college, back in the GBA days, i left my GBA SP in my bag while i went for a leak in the toilets, came out and someone had stolen my GBA SP and my Zelda/Tekken Advance/Metroid Zero Mission...

The next day, the guy that STOLE the GBA SP out of my bag tries to SELL IT BACK TO ME for 20 pounds with the same three games he stole.

Seriously, i was suspended for two weeks for beating the guys ass, he went crying to the college head that i was 'beating him up' to try and steal his GBA SP!

That sucks though man, it's heart breaking when you get stuff stolen, just remember to keep an eye out!

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    "My collection of rare, incurable diseases... Violated!"

Tiemler on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    This thread is fucked up. It sucks you had your stuff ganked.

I became curious after reading about the NES collection, so I counted up my own: I've got 30 Saturn games, 37 Dreamcast games, 6 Genesis games, 24 PS1 games, 17 PS2 games, 19 Xbox games, 8 NGPC games, and one GameCube game. I've got a ton of rarer periphials as well, stuff like two 1st party Japanese DC guns, a NetLink, PS1 and NGPC link cables, shit like that. I live in a lower income but generally low crime area, but there is an apartment complex a few blocks down the road that is shady as hell, and I live around the corner from a large shopping mall.

If someone got ahold of my collection, I would positivily shit. Now I'm all nervous as hell about not having renter's insurance.

I know it's bad karma and all, but I really hope that whoever stole your NES collection gets an STD so bad that pictures of their genitalia is included in the next generation of medical textbooks with captions such as "Fig. 4.1b - Worse case scenario".

Einhander on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Resident0 wrote: »
    One time in college, back in the GBA days, i left my GBA SP in my bag while i went for a leak in the toilets, came out and someone had stolen my GBA SP and my Zelda/Tekken Advance/Metroid Zero Mission...

The next day, the guy that STOLE the GBA SP out of my bag tries to SELL IT BACK TO ME for 20 pounds with the same three games he stole.

Seriously, i was suspended for two weeks for beating the guys ass, he went crying to the college head that i was 'beating him up' to try and steal his GBA SP!

That sucks though man, it's heart breaking when you get stuff stolen, just remember to keep an eye out!
    During middle school, my best friend and I collected pokemon cards. He had a holographic charizard back when they sold for ~$60. Well one day he invited this guy over and he was looking at his cards in his living room, but his mom called him for dinner. He told the guy to just keep looking while he ate. When he came back, the card was gone, along with all his other great cards.

Serious beatdown ensued. Never did get the card back though. Think he tried to give him a crumbled up normal charizard in return.

Sanders on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Soo...how much was the mislabeled gold cart worth?

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    Soo...how much was the mislabeled gold cart worth?

If I remember that article correctly, by the time of that print, a copy went on eBay for close to $3,000 US. :(

Mitsuhide on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The only time I recall when I had a game stolen was when I lent to a friend my copies of Super Mario 64 and the Sonic and Garfield PC collection (yes this actually existed, it's basically a Genesis Garfield game and Sonic 3 and Knuckles on one disc.) Unfortunately his house was broken into and most of his good expensive things were stolen including their computer, N64, and the aforementioned games. Wasn't that big of a deal though, later I got a Sonic Smash pack that included for the PC Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic R, Sonic CD, and Sega Smash Pack II (which has Comix zone, Shining Force, Vectorman II, Chameleon Kid, and Flicky.)

I'm also greatly distressed by your loss. I know that game collection probably took hundreds of dollars and years of searching to amass and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Here's to hoping they'll catch the perpetrators and beat the living tar outta them.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've never heard of the mislabeled gold cart before. Which part is mislabeled?

Couscous on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I had my original NES collection jacked around 15 years ago, so I can definitely relate to how much that sucked.

The good news is, I set out to replace it, and I got stuff that I enjoyed even more, even if I never fully repaired the damage.

My loss wasn't nearly as painful, since it was only like 20 games, but it still really sucked. (Never did replace Bayou Billy, either.)

Losing my Sega CD collection in college was worse, and that was my fault. (Had them in a CD book, and I abandoned it at the dorm when I moved out.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know, is it wrong that I read a topic in D&D about how a couple regularly has sex with their kid sitting on the bed with them and my reaction is "Meh, people suck" but as soon as I read the title to this my eyes were so wide in horror I was afraid they were going to pop out of my head for a second?

HappylilElf on