As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

UK Bargains Thread III: For Fuck's Sake Lewie Use The Right Thread

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bear in mind many of the better 360 titles are also on PC, if you have a decent one.
    I personally prefer the Wii, but both consoles have a fair bit going for them.

Xagarath on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    £129 is the cheapest Arcade 360 available? Damn. Was hoping for the elusive £100 mark.

Big Classy on
    edited February 2009
    LewieP on
    edited February 2009
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Newres wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right topic for this question but here it goes. I do not own any of the next-gen consoles yet, so I was thinking about getting either a wii or a 360, and loading up on the great must-haves that have found their way to the bargain bin. I am edging towards the wii right now as I am quite "low tech" at the moment (crappy broadband, no hdtv) but it can be either one. Any recommendations on which console and games should I pick up if I want the most bang for my money (and from where if that is possible) ?

Depends what type of gaming you do. Mostly with others round at your house? Then I'd definitely go for the Wii. Plenty of party games, plenty of multiplayer games, lots of chaotic fun. I'm also enjoying a lot of the Wii-Ware games available for download (Lost Winds and World of Goo in particular). There are plenty of other single player games to keep you occupied too; Zack and Wiki, No More Heroes, the upcoming Madworld.

If homebrew is at all important to you then the wii is easily soft-modded to run import games (*cough*andbackupsandemulatorsifyou'resoinclined*cough*), Scummvm games and a few other nifty applications.

The 360 is an excellent console, best bang-for-you-buck (so to speak) graphically as you get a damn powerful machine for less than the Wii. Not so good for local multiplayer (although it's not dreadful, there are a fair number of split screen games but you'd only need Earth Defence Force) but much better for Multiplayer online as long as you're willing to pay ~£30 a year to do it. Massive variety of games (not just FPS as some would have you believe) and providing you're buying new than reliability is MUCH improved over the original batch of consoles. Great selection of downloadable titles too. Your crappy broadband wouldn't be much of an issue as even a half-meg connection could handle multiplayer gaming. It's more about latency than flat out speed.

Personally my favourite machine is my PS3, I use it for all my media streaming and find it has some of the best downloadable games and exclusives that I (personally) enjoy a lot. Free online which, whilst not quite as swish as xbla, is perfectly functional.

If you're going purely on a cost basis then I'd say the 360. It's the cheapest console, has a massive variety of excellent cheap games and if you get a tv in the future you'll be able to take advantage of the higher resolution.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • BeatnikBeatnik Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Has anyone else seen this deal for 360 Elite? Never had any dealings with littlewoods - hear very mixed reports on them but for £136 it might be worth a punt.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/348171/xbox-360-elite-system-for-179-witho/showthread.php?t=348171&page=3

The way it breaks down is £179 base price (not bad for starters) then 30 quid off for new users and 10% quidco.

Beatnik on
    edited February 2009
    I would recommend strongly against anyone ever dealing with Littlewoods. It has once gone really badly for me, and I have heard lots of horror stories.

I would put money on the fact that you would regret it.

These deals aren't much worse.

LewieP on
    edited February 2009
    Littlewoods is no-go. I signed up to them back when the £30 for new cutomers deal was flourishing and thought I'd get myself a free copy of a 360 game. They didn't validate the voucher code and I was charged full price. I managed to cancel before they sent out one of the games but the other I had to return myself. Awful.

Big Classy on
  • BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I used my littlewoods voucher on a copy of Wii Play back when it was like gold dust.
    They took the full price of the game out of my account on the first day and then did nothing for four months.
    Eventually after much time on the phone they then credited the discount back to me. Some two months after that they completely cancelled the order.
    (although as they then refunded the full pre discount price of the game leaving me £30 up overall I can live with that).

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    LewieP on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was told in the Steam thread that Mass Effect for the PC is £4.99 at Zavvi. My local one in Cardiff is out of stock and obviously I can't wait for them to get more stock in... I was wondering if anyone wanted to buy me a copy of Mass Effect for Windows from their local Zavvi and then post it to me? I'll pay for everything by Paypal, of course, or by cheque if you prefer.

Centipeed on
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The problem with Littlewoods, is that people think they can just use their voucher codes willy nilly. Wrong. You can only use their money off codes if they have sent them to you in the post. Oh, you might be able to get the code to work online even if you weren't sent it, but whoops, you're stealing. You aren't entitled to use it, the T&C of the voucher, and the site, say that. And then when they audit their sales and take the money you stole back, people act like they're the villians.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I pre-ordered Resident Evil 5 for £31.93 (with discount) at thehut.com today, with £1 extra for shipping in Europe. I haven't seen it for a cheaper price anywhere else, so I though I should let you know.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's £29.99 at Amazon. I don't know how that works out for shipping to the rest of Europe, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Amazon deal would probably end up being more expensive for most people. Is The Hut fast/reliable/etc? Not sure I've ever heard of them.

At least with Amazon you know what you're getting.

EB games/Gamestop have been doing their 'turn in 2 games, buy RE5 for x amount' deal in some countries as well, which might be a good idea if anyone has a couple of games that would otherwise be impossible to get rid of at a decent price.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmm, I came in here looking for cheap RE5. Is thirty quid really it? I'm pretty broke right now but need to shoot Africans in the head because I'm a massive racist.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited March 2009
    Yeah that's absolutely the cheapest right now unfortunately.

Willeth on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the 360.. anyone got a better price than £22.49 on play?
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/1011918/Marvel-Ultimate-Alliance/Product.html

On a related note, it is actually a good game, right? I'm looking for something co-op to play with the girlfriend.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009
    I played it solo and had fun. Co-op it might well be totally sweet, actually.

It's £19.99 on SoftUK but it's sold out. Go for Play.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Cheers! I'll order it tonight and hope to have it by the weekend.. there a referral link I can use to show my savygamer support?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Lewie has something set up for Play but I have no idea how to access it.

*blows his Lewie whistle*

um.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Light up the Bargain Signal.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Nope, I used to have something set up with play, and will do again in a little while, but at the moment, I have none...

(not that they ever paid me on time anyway...)

grumble grumble.

LewieP on
    edited March 2009
    holy shit! I now want a Lewie whistle :(

Big Classy on
  • smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    holy shit! I now want a Lewie whistle :(

I wonder if it's just like the penny whistle that Willy Wonka uses to summon oompa loompas...

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert
    edited March 2009
    No-one wants to help me out with Zavvi and Mass Effect for the PC? I want to play an RPG on the PC :-(

Centipeed on
    edited March 2009
    My Zavvi's closed down, with a note in the window saying that HMV kill kittens. So no luck there.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Mine turned into an HMV and I didn't notice til I looked at my receipt.

Also: Lewie whistles works for everyone!

LewieP on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Specially me!

Unless, that is, I have a broken right hand and torn left shoulder. Then, the Cardboard Tube reprimand helps!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited March 2009
    I want to get Dark Chronicle (Released in the USA as Dark Cloud 2). The cheapest I found it is £12.99 at Play, and it's been out for quite some time. I wanted to know if anyone could find a much cheaper price?

Centipeed on
  • NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Snipped some great advice.

I ended up getting an Xbox360 as there was a great bundle available and it was cheaper than a wii. Thanks everyone for the advice. Now onto some bargain hunting, to the bargainhuntingmobile.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
    edited March 2009

I ended up getting an Xbox360 as there was a great bundle available and it was cheaper than a wii. Thanks everyone for the advice. Now onto some bargain hunting, to the bargainhuntingmobile.

can i ask how much for and what was in the bundle? After one meself.

Big Classy on
  • NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »

can i ask how much for and what was in the bundle? After one meself.

Well I am not in the UK, but got it at gamestop, it was a 60 gig pro + a game of your choice for $10 euro (gears of war 2). I also picked up street fighter 4 on an impulse and a second controller which comes with kung fu panda and lego indiana jones. If the distance was not a problem I would have probably went for the Game.co.uk pro + halo 3 + halo wars bundles that were mentioned in this thread.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, the Elite+Halo 3 deal for £200 is a stonker.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Oh yeah, Will, games are on their way ;D

LewieP on
    edited March 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Will, games are on their way ;D

Awesome.

Now I won't play them for three months just to spite you. :P

(actually I probably shouldn't start them - Skate 2 and Fallout 3 don't work well with a dissertation...)

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Cod·Wah is pretty crappy.

LewieP on
    edited March 2009
    Dude, skate 2 has a 3d mode.

You need to put a code in to activate it (and obviously need glasses) and apparently it's not the best but seriously, that's just putting more cream on the chocolate cake.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Cod·Wah is pretty crappy.

Am I the only one who read this as a dish containing fish as its main ingredient?

Also, I'm only interested in the 360 model that comes without the HDD, think it's the Arcade? Used to be called core. Hell, if they do just the system with no HDD, no cables, no pads......... guy can hope.

Big Classy on