As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

UK Bargains Thread III: For Fuck's Sake Lewie Use The Right Thread

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Newres wrote: »
    and a second controller which comes with kung fu panda...

Well played, that game is surprisingly fun for a movie tie-in kiddie game. :^:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Also, I'm only interested in the 360 model that comes without the HDD, think it's the Arcade? Used to be called core. Hell, if they do just the system with no HDD, no cables, no pads......... guy can hope.

Why?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Also, I'm only interested in the 360 model that comes without the HDD, think it's the Arcade? Used to be called core. Hell, if they do just the system with no HDD, no cables, no pads......... guy can hope.

Why?

Because his old one RRoD outside of warrenty?

Rook on
    edited March 2009
    Ah.

So Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard is just over £25 on both PS3 and 360 at the Hut.

Out on the 27th. Looks interesting but I've had almost no impressions from anyone. Wouldn't mind reviewing that one. :D

Willeth on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The gameplay video(s) on that one makes the gameplay look less than promising. Third person, with a large aiming rectangle, making it look like the PSP version of Resistance.

I'd really have to try a demo before buying it, at any price, despite how funny it might be.

It would be awesome if I'm wrong, of course.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Play has Prey and Stranglehold on 360 for £5 each. Not too shabby.

Rotam on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm looking forward to Eat Lead for sheer parody value really. The 3D gunplay vs 2D enemies looks great.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited March 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Eat Lead for sheer parody value really. The 3D gunplay vs 2D enemies looks great.

From the videos I've seen this doesn't seem to happen. All the enemies have been 3D.

To be honest I'm not even sure what the game is from the previews.

Willeth on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »

From the videos I've seen this doesn't seem to happen. All the enemies have been 3D.

To be honest I'm not even sure what the game is from the previews.

An attempt at satirising games (in particular it looks like Duke Nukem, but with a bunch of other games and conventions thrown in), but possibly lacking the important aspect of being good in itself.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Well shit, I know that. I also know it's a shooter. Maybe.

But that's it, and it's out this week in the US.

Willeth on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It doesn't look very funny...

And I love the guy from Arrested Development...

LewieP on
    edited March 2009
    The Hut 10% off sale

Some crazy prices here.

You get 10% off each item, then £2 off the total order if it is £20 or more. So you can get the likes of Street Fighter 4 for £23.86, Burnout Paradise - The Ultimate Box for £20.44, Mad World for £23.86, or Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop for £19.54, and many more.

LewieP on
    edited March 2009
    I notice that thehuts price for Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor is only £13.26. I can't seem to get the £2 discount to work on it, so perhaps it's only for items over £20?

Rook on
    edited March 2009
    I've been experimenting with my basket a lot, but can't seem to work out the rules exactly.

It might just be that some items are excluded, but there is some pricing witchcraft going on...

LewieP on
    edited March 2009
    Either way, I meant that £13.26 for Tales of Valor was amazing, it's Relic so I'm pretty sure it's a safe buy. And I picked up Dawn of War 2 from your links, thanks!

Can't seem to use their new site properly though, finding it really hard to search for anything, but cancelled my old streetfighter IV (PC) pre-order with them and used the new discount code to drop it to just £16.14. I love it when a good bargain gets better.

Rook on
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

Just managed to order a copy of ZOE2 from CEX. They finally put one of the 3 or so copies they've had in their stores online, and it's mine mine all mine. You do see the odd copy on eBay, but it's always for a lot more than the £20 Cex charge, plus you get the 12 month guarantee with Cex. Checking every day for months finally paid off.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited March 2009
    Also;

Madworld - Wii - £23.86

http://www.thehut.com/hut/10025641.product

Use code Newlook10

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zavvi have some pretty good prices now. A load of stuff has come down. I got Heavenly Sword (PS3) for £7.50. Lost on the 360 is £4.99, less 25%, so £3.75.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited March 2009
    Where the hell still has a Zavvi open.

By which I mean, is that Leeds? I am there this weekend.

LewieP on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cardiff still has their Zavvi open. On the topic of which, I don't need a copy of Mass Effect for the PC from there any more because I bought one off of eBay for £8.50. Now to hope that it'll install/activate fine even though it's used.

Centipeed on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, the Hut is getting hammered. That or my connection's shaky.

I'm a bit surprised that Mirror's Edge PC hasn't still dropped in price. Anyone got cheaper than the Hut's discount price (£24~)?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Zavvi.co.uk has just relaunched, apparently? Yay, or something.

They're doing 10% off everything until Friday, with free shipping.

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Zavvi.co.uk has just relaunched, apparently? Yay, or something.

They're doing 10% off everything until Friday, with free shipping.

It's just TheHut, who have even more discount at the moment.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited March 2009
    Decided to get a Red 360. By the time I flog off my own 20GB 360, the new 120GB from the red 360 (I have a 120GB already), the copies of SF2HD and RE5, and taking into account the month of live you get, the quidco and the reward points, it'll only cost around £30. Not bad for upgrading to an HDMI system, with a new 3 year guarantee (my current one is over 3 years old now), plus it's definitely a Jasper. And red is my favourite colour.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Decided to get a Red 360. By the time I flog off my own 20GB 360, the new 120GB from the red 360 (I have a 120GB already), the copies of SF2HD and RE5, and taking into account the month of live you get, the quidco and the reward points, it'll only cost around £30. Not bad for upgrading to an HDMI system, with a new 3 year guarantee (my current one is over 3 years old now), plus it's definitely a Jasper. And red is my favourite colour.

Ive ordered a Red 360 aswell. Im just a sucker for ltd edition consoles. Is it only GAME and Gamestation offering them?

Ziggymon on
    edited March 2009
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Ive ordered a Red 360 aswell. Im just a sucker for ltd edition consoles. Is it only GAME and Gamestation offering them?

Haven't seen them anywhere else.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited March 2009

How much are you looking for that 120GB drive? Do you have the cable and transfer software with it?

Willeth on
  • smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Has this been posted yet?

Prey and Stranglehold - xbox 360 - £5 each

EDIT: Yes it has...

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Where the hell still has a Zavvi open.

By which I mean, is that Leeds? I am there this weekend.

Yeah, the Leeds one was still open the other day, I imagine it won't have shut by the weekend. They've still got 25% off everything and they've dropped their prices even lower. Loads of games were £9.99 or less, a fair few blurays for £12 or less. And then the 25% on top of that.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited March 2009

How much are you looking for that 120GB drive? Do you have the cable and transfer software with it?

Yes, I have the cable and software. However, I just realised that the the 120GB drives will be different colours. The one I have now, on my launch premium, is grey, but the one on the Red Elite, looks black, to match the black grill. So I suppose I'll have to transfer my info to the new HDD, and sell the gray one. Oddly, new ones (mainly asian imports without the transfer kit), and used ones (usually from UK sellers), both seem to go for about £70 shipped on eBay. I'd lose part of that to fees, but I should still get £65 for it.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Looks like the 'newlook10' code doesn't work on thehut anymore. On the up side, I noted that they brought zavvi's online prices into line with thehuts last night* (and they still have the 10% off on top) so I ordered from them

*disclaimer: I only checked the prices of dawn of war related games. Still DoW complete for £11.50? not bad really, not bad at all.

cwoac on
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Still no deals on the first GBA Fire Emblem? I'm getting a bit sick of waiting for one to pop up on Goozex...

Somestickguy on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Amazon Marketplace have it new for £70. Thats not counting postage.

A lot of GBA games are hard to get at reasonable prices now. I meant to get FFVI Advance when it came out, I didn't, and it has since inflated to an unreasonable price. Its really shitty but expected.

Rotam on
  • wetflamewetflame Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A little different from the usual games bargains, but I could use the input. I'm looking to step up to HDTVs. I've a premium (non-hdmi) 360, and no PS3. So i was looking to find myself a flashy, sub £900 tv and then maybe grab myself the PS3 mainly for the Blu-Ray rather than anything else. I've got most of the games I'd buy on the PS3 already for the 360, so there'd only be LittleBigPlanet and MGS4 that I'm really after.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, 40-ish inch HDTV? I've got the PCI cable for the 360, so I'd probably use that for HD there. Is it worth holding out for a price drop on the PS3 before getting one?

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009

Yes, I have the cable and software. However, I just realised that the the 120GB drives will be different colours. The one I have now, on my launch premium, is grey, but the one on the Red Elite, looks black, to match the black grill. So I suppose I'll have to transfer my info to the new HDD, and sell the gray one. Oddly, new ones (mainly asian imports without the transfer kit), and used ones (usually from UK sellers), both seem to go for about £70 shipped on eBay. I'd lose part of that to fees, but I should still get £65 for it.

I'll give you fifty quid for the grey one :P I'm still on my 20GB I got with my Pro. It's the cool one with the silvery trim, too, so the grey one will clash slightly with my box :(

Willeth on
    edited March 2009
    Rotam wrote: »
    Amazon Marketplace have it new for £70. Thats not counting postage.

A lot of GBA games are hard to get at reasonable prices now. I meant to get FFVI Advance when it came out, I didn't, and it has since inflated to an unreasonable price. Its really shitty but expected.

How much you willing to pay for FFIV GBA? ive seen a usa copy in a store near me i could pick it up for you

Ziggymon on
    edited March 2009
    wetflame wrote: »
    A little different from the usual games bargains, but I could use the input. I'm looking to step up to HDTVs. I've a premium (non-hdmi) 360, and no PS3. So i was looking to find myself a flashy, sub £900 tv and then maybe grab myself the PS3 mainly for the Blu-Ray rather than anything else. I've got most of the games I'd buy on the PS3 already for the 360, so there'd only be LittleBigPlanet and MGS4 that I'm really after.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, 40-ish inch HDTV? I've got the PCI cable for the 360, so I'd probably use that for HD there. Is it worth holding out for a price drop on the PS3 before getting one?

The samsung series 6 40 inch HDTV was the best value one I found when looking for one for my dad. It has the 100htz motion plus which does give a big advantage for the blu ray movies, 4 HDMI ports and looks good with the red finish. Managed to get one for £700 think play.com still sells them for that price.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/6569744/Samsung-Series-6-40-LE40A686-HD-1080p-Freeview-Widescreen-LCD-TV/Product.html

£799 on play.com but also have a blu ray player for £99 offer.

Edit: double post sorry

Ziggymon on
    edited March 2009
    Xbox 360 Elite - £189.59 delivered, and a good bundle offer.

Flower, Sun, and Rain, DS - £9.99 delivered
    Spore, PC - £17.73 delivered
    Deadly Creatures, Wii - £17.99 delivered
    Little Big Planet, PS3 - £12.95 delivered
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, PC - £9.99 delivered
    Henry Hatsworth In The Puzzling Adventure, DS - £14.96 delivered

LewieP on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What do you guys think about Flower, Sun and Rain? According to the user reviews at amazon people either love it or hate it O_o

Impersonator on