As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Content patch (1.13) coming to Diablo 2.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Reading the BNet thread, it's pretty hilarious what some people are suggesting.

"Please fix ALL hacks and ALL bugs!"
    "Add another act where you kill Tyrael!"

My favorite: "Don't change anything that would make people quit the game!"

Heh, there are people who think that maphacking is fixable without adding some sort of nasty DRM that everyone would hate?

jothki on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Think of it as a throwback to how trading got done in Diablo.

Someone could just swoop in and steal all the shit on the ground before the trading parties could. Shit was cutthroat.

Mustachio Jones on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Arkan wrote: »
    I'd also like to see gems not suck when socketed- they mostly seem like a novelty except the occasional barbarian DWing 6-socketed weapons with 6 perfect skulls in each.

Perfect diamonds are amazing. I had a blue pally shield I found with 4 sockets and after putting 4 perfect diamond in I had max resist all even in Hell difficulty.

Yeah, but you have to admit that other than one or two types most of the gems are pretty worthless.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh shit.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anytime I see a Diablo 2 thread pop up I think of the good ol' days doing 500 cow runs a day, racing to 99 on classic, leveling characters to 88 in about a week, planning out builds like urahonky was mentioning...

Man, my life was horrible. Thankfully my laptop most likely won't be able to handle D3, I like the way things are now.

Rei on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    This is really weird.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really just want to be able to do cow runs again and again and again.

God i have some amazing memories from playing 1.09 with my high school buddies.

Fucking ITH weapons and white rings all up ins.

noobert on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember the days when any of my builds were actually useful on Hell. I remember the days when someone would rush me through all difficulties in 5 minutes and Id be level 1 in the Cow World. I remember the days when I would get to level 90 or so in around 15 minutes! I REMEMBER THE DAYS...god. I can barely even play this game after a certain patch that came out years ago. Yet I DO still play. I DO still go back. I just like to remember the good ol days :(

(After that patch came out years ago I remember all my characters being useless shits that couldnt kill anything on Hell, when I used to be able to slaughter the cow world alone in like 5 minutes)

Edit: oh and I dont know why, but expired characters can still be used (for me and my friend at least) because I went on the other day and my dude was expired but I chose to use him anyways and it worked. Same for my friend. We were baffled and happy at the same time.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't see "Game available in something other than 40$ Battlechest" in the patch notes.

If they dropped it down to 20$ like the SC one, I'd finally buy this game.

FyreWulff on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Would you allow trading between the two? That would be the only way I see that actually working. Because you're effectively splitting the user base into two (hell, 4 now) if you do that.
    Ladder characters are already separate from normal B.net play. It's not like they haven't balkanized the userbase already. If they make respecs for non-Ladder characters, but limit/remove it on the Ladder, I wouldn't mind at all. The point of Ladder characters is the whole e-peen thing, and respecs remove part of the appeal (E-peener: "I made it all the way to 99 with this character on the Ladder within X time, with no respecs, fully planned out").

I'd be alright with Non-Ladder = respecs, Ladder = no respecs. But really either way I'll play it. I'd be stupid to boycott the game for that.

urahonky on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Would be so lame if they added respecs to D2, but anything else is welcome. Plus this is really awesome of Blizzard to do.

I knew I sensed a disturbance in the force.

Here we go again!

:P

That said, I don't think I have the heart to load up D2 again. The cutscenes remain to this day among my alltime favourites, particularly the opening cinematic, but I just broke free from WoW cold turkey 2 months ago.

I'm gonna wait until at least D3 before I let a game own my soul again.

I admit, I'm Blizzard's bitch.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited March 2009
    You lie Forar. If they added shared stash YOU KNOW you'd play again. Being able to transfer to yourself anytime you want would be incredibly awesome. :)

e: And yeah, the 'r' word is enough to get me worked up about anything. ESPECIALLY Diablo 2.

urahonky on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ...I don't think I have the heart to load up D2 again...

A thousand times this. I just played way too much Diablo 2. I need something more than a content patch. Maybe like...Diablo 3?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited March 2009
    You lie Forar. If they added shared stash YOU KNOW you'd play again. Being able to transfer to yourself anytime you want would be incredibly awesome. :)

e: And yeah, the 'r' word is enough to get me worked up about anything. ESPECIALLY Diablo 2.

I have to admit, having a shared stash makes my heart all afflutter with excitement, but it's a feature I hope for in D3. I'll back them beta-testing it in D2 though!

Which segues nicely into a thought regarding the patch; I can't read the link from work, but it sounds like a test bed for ideas that might alter what we get with D3 at the end, even if they're not calling it that? That alone might be a reason to support trying out respecs in D2 (a game over 8 years old) in order to tweak how to best apply them in D3 (which I believe we already know is going to have them).

I'd be comfortable with a City of Heroes approach to respec'ing; a quest or event you can complete a few times per character, along with infrequent ones given over time, perhaps tied into patches that alter the balance of a class?

I'd even be fine with a WoW style of respec'ing where it could be done at will, but was turned off for Hardcore, who is already a seperate group. I suppose this would exclude people who want to play hardcore with respec'ing, but that could be part of the draw/bragging rights; you want to show off your fancy coloured name, you gotta roll with the big boys on every level, including spec planning.

I'd suggest it could just be an option available at character creation; a checkmark box whether to allow them or not, with people who choose not to have the option available being given a minor perk (like D2 Hardcore, a different name colour perhaps, something similarly cosmetic) but are still able to play with regular players, thus eliminating the concern about stratifying the playerbase beyond Normal/Hardcore.

Forar on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Taking this thread in a totally new direction now --

One feature I would like to see them change is this: Remove the gold-loss penalty on death. Players lose so much freaking cash when their character dies that it makes money almost pointless to have. The only thing money is used for anyway is repairs and resurrecting your mercs. But Merc rezzes can get pretty costly. And if you get on a hell map with an enemy type that just completely trumps your character/build, you could be in for a long night of corpse runs. And every time you die, you lose a shitload of money. Its pretty ridiculous.

Lucascraft on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Taking this thread in a totally new direction now --

One feature I would like to see them change is this: Remove the gold-loss penalty on death. Players lose so much freaking cash when their character dies that it makes money almost pointless to have. The only thing money is used for anyway is repairs and resurrecting your mercs. But Merc rezzes can get pretty costly. And if you get on a hell map with an enemy type that just completely trumps your character/build, you could be in for a long night of corpse runs. And every time you die, you lose a shitload of money. Its pretty ridiculous.

Wait a second. Losing money, thereby decreasing the total supply of money in the game world, makes money more pointless? o_O

If anything, not losing gold when you die would make gold so much more worthless than it already is.
    Of course, what do I care? Real men play hardcore. :P

Vi Monks on
    edited March 2009
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Of course, what do I care? Real men lose everything when their ISP or the server takes a giant steaming dump on them. :P

Fixed that for ya. :P

I jest. Much respect for anyone with the tenacity and supreme zen-like acceptance of loss that lurks around every corner and dropped packet in Hardcore, but that's just not how I roll.

Forar on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Of course, what do I care? Real men lose everything when their ISP or the server takes a giant steaming dump on them. :P

Fixed that for ya. :P

I jest. Much respect for anyone with the tenacity and supreme zen-like acceptance of loss that lurks around every corner and dropped packet in Hardcore, but that's just not how I roll.

Yes, lag deaths are the worst. But I think I would have stopped playing D2 long before I did without hardcore. The simple fact that you have to remake characters and re-acquire items when you kick it just adds a bunch of play time. And I detest MF/Baal runs, so having non-permanent characters was liberating in that sense.

Plus, bragging rights. 8-)

Vi Monks on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I vowed not to reinstall, but the new content patch will likely make me a liar. Shared stash would be a huge reason to bring me back.

Also, Hardcore is such an adrenalin rush, that I could never go back to softcore afterward. When everything has the potential to ruin months of work, mere gold and exp loss just don't cut it.

IdolNinja on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The shortcut for Diablo 2 is sitting on my desktop's Stardock bar. Staring at me with its pixelated eyes...

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited March 2009
    Don't do it yet Arikado... Wait.

urahonky on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lagromancers are the best mancers

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2009

All skeletons is a dream build I want to always do. But the last time I tried it, Diablo wiped my entire skeleton army in one fire ring... And it left me to fight with my wand of death.

urahonky on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

All skeletons is a dream build I want to always do. But the last time I tried it, Diablo wiped my entire skeleton army in one fire ring... And it left me to fight with my wand of death.

20 skeles + 20 skele mastery + 20 revives + 20 Mages + teleport + amp damage = dead any single target

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2009

20 skeles + 20 skele mastery + 20 revives + 20 Mages + teleport + amp damage = dead any single target

Admittedly this was before the synergies patch. I noticed that they were a lot more powerful in the recent build but never got around to making one.

urahonky on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is D3 going to be pay-to-play?

remlap13 on
    edited March 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »

Pretty sure no. I think they are going to be using b.net again... Which kinda irks me.

urahonky on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Admittedly this was before the synergies patch. I noticed that they were a lot more powerful in the recent build but never got around to making one.

Since synergies patch I have taken this build to mid 80s twice and I can't imagine playing any other way. I was so disappointed WoW didn't have a Necromancer.

Actually I don't do 20 revives, 1 point is enough. With +skills you'll have 20 or more anyway. Instead I have a point in almost every curse and fill up Corpse Explosion as far as I can. Generally I just use the regular clay golem too, slowing is useful.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I don't see "Game available in something other than 40$ Battlechest" in the patch notes.

If they dropped it down to 20$ like the SC one, I'd finally buy this game.

If you hunt around a bit, you can find it for $25. Before CC announced they were going under, like three months ago, me and some buddies found like 8 battle chests at our local CC for $25 a piece. It's a shame we have like 4 key sets per person, otherwise I would've hopped on that deal.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited March 2009
    Blood golems were hilarious before they fixed Iron Maiden's reflect damage healing it. First character I ever killed diablo with was a necromancer with blood golem + maiden.

Literally, that's all you needed. The golem was unkillable.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Pretty sure no. I think they are going to be using b.net again... Which kinda irks me.

There was nothing wrong with BNet if you ignored the r-tards on there. Personally I'd rather have a free game on BNet than paying $15/month. Then it basically becomes WoW.

I can say that if D3 has a monthly fee I will not be participating.

remlap13 on
    edited March 2009
    They never said you'll have to pay to play D3 on bnet, but they have implied there'll be a stronger commercial presence in it (ads in the chat channels, etc)

Arkan on
    edited March 2009

Since synergies patch I have taken this build to mid 80s twice and I can't imagine playing any other way. I was so disappointed WoW didn't have a Necromancer.

Actually I don't do 20 revives, 1 point is enough. With +skills you'll have 20 or more anyway. Instead I have a point in almost every curse and fill up Corpse Explosion as far as I can. Generally I just use the regular clay golem too, slowing is useful.

40 Udar can kill an Uber-Tristram fast.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2009

There was nothing wrong with BNet if you ignored the r-tards on there. Personally I'd rather have a free game on BNet than paying $15/month. Then it basically becomes WoW.

I hate b.net because I get dropped almost all the time, and the botters really annoy me.
    xlkajdf81 has joined the game.
    HEY GUYS BUY MY GEAR AT www.FUCKMYASS.COM
    xlkajdf81 has left the game.

^^^ Those got annoying as fuck.

urahonky on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    40 Udar can kill an Uber-Tristram fast.
    Good luck getting 40 in less than 3 minutes. By the time you get to Uber Trist you'll only have 20 left anyway.

I can't even think of any areas in the game with more than 20 Urdar in proximity.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited March 2009
    I'll likely be playing strictly on PW'd b.net games with friends or solo.

D3, I mean.

Because D2 scares me. It's the lover I left years ago. The parting was bittersweet, but as good as the times were, I just can't bring myself to immerse myself again... this is rapidly becomming "methinks thou dost protest too much" territory.

But I want to talk about D3, and Blizzard probably won't give us a release date until a few days after it hits store shelves.

:|

Forar on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I hate b.net because I get dropped almost all the time, and the botters really annoy me.
    xlkajdf81 has joined the game.
    xlkajdf81 has left the game.

^^^ Those got annoying as fuck.

Well, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 will be using the new B.net 2.0 that they are working on, not the old one that their previous games used.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll be happy if I don't have to change my IP every time I click through the UI too quickly.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    so tempted to click that link.

JJ on
    edited March 2009
    Please don't. I'm sure it's something that you don't want to see.

urahonky on