As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Summer of XBLA Love 2009 - Dishwasher, PQ: Galactrix, Uno Rush and more

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
From MajorNelson's blog:

"The Days of Arcade are coming

Starting March 18th, we’re kicking off the Days of Arcade promotion. Much like the Summer of Arcade last year, (but bigger) the Arcade team has lined up six-weeks of blockbuster titles :

The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
Flock
Hasbro Family Game Night
Lode Runner
Outrun Online Arcade
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix
UNO Rush

First out of the gate on March 18th is Hasbro Family Game Night. Following that, I’ll post each Monday what that weeks Arcade release will be.

As you can see, that we’ve got seven titles..for a six-week promotion. The Arcade team decided they’re going to surprise you one week when they double up the fun."

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. Dishwasher: Dead Samurai looks incredible (like a 2D version of Devil May Cry, complete with guitar controller co-op mode), Puzzle Quest: Galactrix should be fun (although it's disappointing that it's not out yet since it's already available for the PC), and I'm a sucker for Lode Runner, but those are probably the only titles I'll buy from the list. It's not like last year where I ended up buying all 5 games (Geo Wars 2, Galaga Legions, Braid, Castle Crashers, and Bionic Commando: Rearmed) and ended up loving 4 (didn't care much for Bionic Commando).

RainbowDespair on

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want the remake of Lode Runner

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. Dishwasher: Dead Samurai looks incredible (like a 2D version of Devil May Cry, complete with guitar controller co-op mode),

Please tell me that is what I think it is.

EDIT: Okay, I looked it up. It's NOT what I thought it was, but it should still be cool.

I thought it was going to be like playing Guitar Hero for the soundtrack while the other guy plays the game. The more accurate the guitarist is to the song, the stronger the main character gets. Ah well, a phantom guitar running around and killing people is still cool.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Lode Runner and maybe Outrun.

Last summer was so much cooler.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. Dishwasher: Dead Samurai looks incredible (like a 2D version of Devil May Cry, complete with guitar controller co-op mode),

Please tell me that is what I think it is.

If what you think it is consists of pure unadulterated awesome, then yes, it is what you're thinking of.

"New game modes with guitar peripheral: The Dishwasher has arcade co-op, drop-in solo campaign co-op, and drop-in solo phantom guitar co-op using the guitar peripheral. Phantom guitar players can unload electric death by playing wicked solos, perform basic movement, and use the guitar's motion control to rip through enemies with a razor-sharp headstock."

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yea, compared to last year, this list is lacking.

Capcom, I know your making it! Where is Mega Man 10!?!?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. Dishwasher: Dead Samurai looks incredible (like a 2D version of Devil May Cry, complete with guitar controller co-op mode), Puzzle Quest: Galactrix should be fun (although it's disappointing that it's not out yet since it's already available for the PC), and I'm a sucker for Lode Runner, but those are probably the only titles I'll buy from the list. It's not like last year where I ended up buying all 5 games (Geo Wars 2, Galaga Legions, Braid, Castle Crashers, and Bionic Commando: Rearmed) and ended up loving 4 (didn't care much for Bionic Commando).

I was the same way I loved 4 of them but didn't care for Braid which I can't stand but I will pick up Dishwasher and Puzzle Quest as well not sure what else, I really hope Peggle is out soon though because that's the game that should be included on this list.

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There are rumors that the reason why Peggle isn't on the list is because it's coming out next week. Just rumors at this point though.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yep, less exciting than last year, by far.

I am interested in The Dishwasher and Outrun Online Arcade, even if it will be the 3rd time I buy that game.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There are rumors that the reason why Peggle isn't on the list is because it's coming out next week. Just rumors at this point though.

I really hope that's the case, I love Peggle.

Lothars on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DISHWASHEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

So glad to see it come back. That'll probably be a purchase from me, since I played the crap out of the XNA demo. I don't know much of anything about the other titles, so I'll wait and play the demos when it comes out.

XBLA has been kind of quiet as of late; as much of an XBLA fiend as I've been, I honestly haven't bought anything in months.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Outrun and Dishwasher? Yes please.

Man, Outrun.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want Strider Rearmed. I heard they were really making it.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I could spear whales with my crotch. This will be a good summer of arcade love.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dishwasher, yes

Renzo on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So this means the new Puzzle Quest won't be out for three weeks at the very earliest. Yarrrrrgh.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    More importantly, where the devil is my Worms 2?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Armaggedon just past Certification so comming soon. This fall or Christmas if I had to guess

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Armaggedon just past Certification so comming soon. This fall or Christmas if I had to guess

If its just got passed Cert is sooner rather than later

EDIT: First half of 09

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And the Summer of XBLA Love 2009 begins with a total dud. Hasbro Family Game Night could be fun, however you have to buy each individual board game separately for 800 points ($10USD). Considering that the same game retails for the PS2 for $20 and on the Wii for $40, who on earth thought it would be a good idea to make the digitally distributed version cost so much more?! Oh and not all of the board games are even available yet.

Not exactly a great way to start off your promotion.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    so the Behemoth isn't lined up to launch another broken game they won't fix for months? :|

I'll give Outrun a try. Galactrix has been on STEAM for awhile.

Overall, not nearly as tempting as last year. But GeoWarsII was pretty much the best downloadable game of the year.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Any idea if Doom 2 will ever hit? I just can't adjust back to 1, I miss my Super Shotgun etc...

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And the Summer of XBLA Love 2009 begins with a total dud. Hasbro Family Game Night could be fun, however you have to buy each individual board game separately for 800 points ($10USD). Considering that the same game retails for the PS2 for $20 and on the Wii for $40, who on earth thought it would be a good idea to make the digitally distributed version cost so much more?! Oh and not all of the board games are even available yet.

Not exactly a great way to start off your promotion.

What the shit? That... wow. I hope they fail horribly.

And The Behemoth's new game drops next year, they just announced.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's not like last year where I ended up buying all 5 games (Geo Wars 2, Galaga Legions, Braid, Castle Crashers, and Bionic Commando: Rearmed) and ended up loving 4 (didn't care much for Bionic Commando).

I was just the opposite. BC:RA was the only one in that lot that I really enjoyed.

Looking forward to finally being able to try that Dishwasher game.

Dirty on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I bought all five last year, and the only one I mildly regret was Galaga Legions, but it was kind of an impulse buy. It's good, but it's a lot more cerebral and pattern-based than I had patience for at the time, as compared to the twitch-reigned Geo Wars 2.

This year is noticeably toned down, but I will enjoy trying Dishwasher. Honestly, I haven't bought an XBLA game in ages, though the service carried me through most of 2008.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Should have launched it last week with Peggle.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hell yeah, Peggle's surprisingly fun and the casuals eat it up with a spoon.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Scrabble motherfuckers!

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I believe this is the rest of the schedule:

Uno Rush 25th

PQ Galactrix 1st April

Dishwasher 8th April

Flock 8th April

Outrun 15th April

Lode Runner 22nd April.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dishwasher came out yesterday and feels like the first real winner on "the games worth waiting for". The story mode is surprisingly huge and the combat is satisfying. Loving it!

Now to hope Puzzle Quest comes out next week :D

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm just waiting for a couple more reviews of The Dishwasher before I get it, but it won't take much to tip me.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It plays alot like Devil May Cry if it was a 2-D beat em up. Haven't tried the "co-op" mode yet so don't know how that works with the Guitar, but the action is fast and the boss fights are a challenge at times. I love it. Mindless action, tons of gore, endless goons to fall to the meat clevers clutched in my cold dead hands.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I remember enjoying the hell out of the demo last year, and co-op is ALWAYS a selling point in this house (just bought EDF because of it), so it's pretty-much a given that I'm getting it. I'm just stalling, really :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They have a demo out for dishwasher of the first level, not sure if it changed much from the contest version.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek