As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UK Bargains Thread III: For Fuck's Sake Lewie Use The Right Thread

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It is a Suda51 game.

It is almost certainly worth playing, but don't expect it to be an entirely easy/enjoyable experience.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, yeah I know, Suda51 games are always difficult to rate and due to their artistic nature not everyone is going to enjoy it. I'm actually looking for honest reviews, is there anyone here who played it?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Decided to get a Red 360. By the time I flog off my own 20GB 360, the new 120GB from the red 360 (I have a 120GB already), the copies of SF2HD and RE5, and taking into account the month of live you get, the quidco and the reward points, it'll only cost around £30. Not bad for upgrading to an HDMI system, with a new 3 year guarantee (my current one is over 3 years old now), plus it's definitely a Jasper. And red is my favourite colour.

How much are you looking for that 120GB drive? Do you have the cable and transfer software with it?

Yes, I have the cable and software. However, I just realised that the the 120GB drives will be different colours. The one I have now, on my launch premium, is grey, but the one on the Red Elite, looks black, to match the black grill. So I suppose I'll have to transfer my info to the new HDD, and sell the gray one. Oddly, new ones (mainly asian imports without the transfer kit), and used ones (usually from UK sellers), both seem to go for about £70 shipped on eBay. I'd lose part of that to fees, but I should still get £65 for it.

I'll give you fifty quid for the grey one :P I'm still on my 20GB I got with my Pro. It's the cool one with the silvery trim, too, so the grey one will clash slightly with my box :(

No thanks. If you have an offer to make that isn't incredibly insulting, feel free to pm it to me.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    fuuuuuuuck :(
    They couldn't have had that offer going last week when i forked out £20 for the Wii Zapper+zelda bundle!?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    They couldn't have had that offer going last week when i forked out £20 for the Wii Zapper+zelda bundle!?

Well, that's not the version with the guns, just with the comic (which is fantastically over the top, by the by).

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wetflame wrote: »
    A little different from the usual games bargains, but I could use the input. I'm looking to step up to HDTVs. I've a premium (non-hdmi) 360, and no PS3. So i was looking to find myself a flashy, sub £900 tv and then maybe grab myself the PS3 mainly for the Blu-Ray rather than anything else. I've got most of the games I'd buy on the PS3 already for the 360, so there'd only be LittleBigPlanet and MGS4 that I'm really after.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, 40-ish inch HDTV? I've got the PCI cable for the 360, so I'd probably use that for HD there. Is it worth holding out for a price drop on the PS3 before getting one?

Lewie sorted us out with a really good TV, a PS3, an 80gb hard drive and a Play TV thingy I use the PS3 to record TV, as well as to watch blu ray, and play the occasional Lego game.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

Well, that's not the version with the guns, just with the comic (which is fantastically over the top, by the by).

SALT. IN. THE. WOUNDS.
    D:D:D:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    wetflamewetflame Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A little different from the usual games bargains, but I could use the input. I'm looking to step up to HDTVs. I've a premium (non-hdmi) 360, and no PS3. So i was looking to find myself a flashy, sub £900 tv and then maybe grab myself the PS3 mainly for the Blu-Ray rather than anything else. I've got most of the games I'd buy on the PS3 already for the 360, so there'd only be LittleBigPlanet and MGS4 that I'm really after.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, 40-ish inch HDTV? I've got the PCI cable for the 360, so I'd probably use that for HD there. Is it worth holding out for a price drop on the PS3 before getting one?

Lewie sorted us out with a really good TV, a PS3, an 80gb hard drive and a Play TV thingy I use the PS3 to record TV, as well as to watch blu ray, and play the occasional Lego game.

That's probably the set-up I'd be after. I just don't know whether it's worth going for the PS3 just yet or waiting for a drop in price. One must be coming eventually. What's the TV that Lewie set you up with? The Samsung one mentioned earlier seems like a good deal, but I'm still open to suggestions.

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You should absolutely go for a Samsung. The series 6 one in that link is very nice. Seems to be a decent enough price too, I think.

You'd be able to find a (much) cheaper 40-inch of another brand, but I think something like that Samsung is worth the extra bit.

Another interesting brand is Loewe, but they might be in a slightly higher price class. You can them with rather nice features like built-in harddisk recording, though, which might be of interest.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So to celebrate their 200th issue, Edge are releasing the next edition with 200 different covers (read here to see a picture of them all).

I would love to have the Cobra Mk. III one, but have no idea how or where to acquire that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And I get the shitty Mm one because I subscribe.

Seriously, that thing's terrible.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yes, but think of the collectiblity! Keep it in the plastic mailing bag and sell it off on Antiques Roadshow in 50 years time.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Weekend Special Roundup 6/3

Posted from the future

LewieP on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Man, Edge have such a hard on for MM.

I really want the Ikaruga cover. Chances of getting that are pretty unlikely though :(

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    troublekingtroubleking Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is the Zavvi in Leeds still definitely open then? Would be a wasted journey otherwise tomorrow.

troubleking on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was in the Zavvi in Leeds about 15 minutes ago. Was pretty good for CDs, and PS3 games, but wasn't too good for 360/Wii games.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some Blu-rays have also dropped in price, which is nice.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh, and a bunch of horrible T Shirts with 50% off.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Who'd want half a t shirt?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's probably the set-up I'd be after. I just don't know whether it's worth going for the PS3 just yet or waiting for a drop in price. One must be coming eventually. What's the TV that Lewie set you up with? The Samsung one mentioned earlier seems like a good deal, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Had to look it up - it's a PHILIPS 42" BLACK 42PFL5603D, from multizoneav.com and cost £678.59. Its very pretty, its not the one with the silly lighting effect around the sides - it would have looked daft against the deep red and gold wall paper!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you're after a new TV then I couldn't pimp out Richer Sounds enough. They even tend to match Internet prices (although it's usually at manager's discretion). I got a 42" Panasonic Plasma for around £650 from them 6 months or more back. Still haven't seen it much cheaper anywhere else.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New thread soon. Who's going to step up to the plate?

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thinking about that, I might edit area's comic now that I have the PA font on my PC to make it more authentic, if he's cool with it.

Willeth on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thinking about that, I might edit area's comic now that I have the PA font on my PC to make it more authentic, if he's cool with it.

Yeah, go for it. I tracked down the font originally with the intention of using it, but balked at the price of entry given I was likely just going to use it for that competition :).

area on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Huh, I don't remember paying for it. Maybe I've just got a knockoff that looks similar.

Willeth on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As far as I know, the usual font they use is Blambot Casual from Blambot.com.

area on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The one I have is defintiely different. Oh well.

Here it is anyway.

Willeth on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can you link to the original comic for me? I can't find it by searching.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Willeth on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Argos have Ninja Gaiden 2 and Boom Blox on their website for £9.99 each, not to sure if this is instore though.

Anyone know any good deals on GH world tour with guitar for the 360?

Rotam on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but just in case.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri with Alien Crossfire expansion pack is now part of the Sold Out Range and can be had at Game for just £5. Considering you couldn't get them for less than £50 on eBay before I'd say that qualifies as a bargain.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but just in case.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri with Alien Crossfire expansion pack is now part of the Sold Out Range and can be had at Game for just £5. Considering you couldn't get them for less than £50 on eBay before I'd say that qualifies as a bargain.

It's a real testament to that game that they'll re-release it even today, just for £5.

One of the best games of it's kind, at least people don't need to pay the extortionate ebay prices anymore.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Such an incredible game.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, £5 is nice, but does it come with the original manual* and posters? I don't think so! *hugs SMAC boxes* :P

*Yes, that's right kids, once upon a time, long, long ago, video games came with printed manuals (that weren't published by Prima and didn't cost extra), and the poster was included.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Asda have some cracking bargains instore at the moment. Mirror's Edge for £13, Fallout 3 for £20, ST4 for £27, and loads more. Must be having a clear out.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Spore, PC - £17.89 delivered
    Project Gotham Racing 4, Xbox 360 - £6.99 delivered
    We Love Golf, Wii - £6.99 delivered
    Patapon 2, PSP - £14.49 delivered
    Skate 2, Xbox 360 - £24.99 delivered
    Skate 2, PS3 - £24.99 delivered
    Tom Clancy's EndWar, Xbox 360 - £14.99 delivered
    Tom Clancy's EndWar, PS3 - £14.99 delivered

In case you've not seen the thread on it:
    Important news for Wii/DS owners and potential owners

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 - £2.99 on steam

Weekend deal has gone up early.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kinda O/T:
    Lewie : Watchmen was fuck-awesome!

Calling you was just me trying out this crazy six-degrees-of-social-separation-theory. Hope you didn't mind. :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You guys read Rock Paper Shotgun right?

Willeth is largely responsible for this happening btw.

LewieP on