As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team Fortress 2: Sandman becomes Nerfbat, Scouts become Emos

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Every time I see the words "duck timer" in this thread I see a gang of various classes going "Shit guys we gotta cap the point before we run out of duck" or somesuch.

Not entirely certain about the Bonk! drink yet. Kinda like the FAN, I think it's something you need to get used to before its value becomes apparent. I have definitely tried to pull the trigger on my soda can more times than is really necessary to get the point across, though.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've seen a good player spam duck and it practically made him impossible to headshot. But it wasn't just that, in general it helped him evade a lot as every other class including scout, demo, soldier, heavy, believe it or not, because it looked so weird.

splash on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wouldn't spamming duck kill your speed considering you move rather slow while ducked?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wonder if they fixed the infinite Bonk exploit.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    epictuna wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »
    autoassist.jpg

Potential side-effect of Bonk! energy drink: asexual reproduction.

^ This.

Scouts, sound off.

Who else likes zipping by in a blur while chuckling at the monitor?

I'll be honest, I've logged probably 100x more hours as a Scout than any other class. Especially on Dustbowl.

Sound off! One, two, three! But seriously I have 70 some hours and scout and my next highest is pyro at 10. So yeah. Still have more damage done as scout then Flippy does as sniper. I'm obviously the more useful player.

Verr on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They fixed the infinite fire exploit. It wasn't really an exploit since it didn't do anything, but it was a neat trick only a few people knew.

Makes me sad.

Asiina on
  • Options
    SharpEdgeSharpEdge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Found the server randomly tonight. Great time. Finally a good server with a decent map rotaion and players who were not total not-so-nice folk.

I probably could have guessed the password in a moment though...

SharpEdge on
  • Options
    Commissar DemosthenesCommissar Demosthenes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dislike the Bonk.

Commissar Demosthenes on
    Steam name: Chicago Ted.
    96cce.png
    oh god I am not good at battlefield
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have more kills than deaths as medic. I'm ballin', son.
    damedic.bmp

EDIT: and no, I didn't do PASMO. All them stats is real, except for scout points/captures, because of a fucked map.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey Flippy:

FLIPPYTAKETHAT.png

BITCH

Just don't read most of the stuff that isn't underlined.

Especially the shots fired.

Oh my gosh I'm so wasteful. D:D:

Icemopper on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How the hell do I get into your servers? I can't find them by searching, and doing the ipconnect thing says I need a password.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

what exploit?

tofu on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Or the K:D

But you do have more PPH

Icemopper I'll play this weekend to drag your stats down

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »
    How the hell do I get into your servers? I can't find them by searching, and doing the ipconnect thing says I need a password.

read the op and everything will become clear

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

But you do have more PPH

no please don't I'd like to feel like I do something better than flippy for once in my life.

actually I can't play this weekend I am busy with my Fiancee that I did not swindle into marrying me.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »

But you do have more PPH

no please don't I'd like to feel like I do something better than flippy for once in my life.

actually I can't play this weekend I am busy with my Fiancee that I did not swindle into marrying me.

I miss being a fiancee. :|

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hey Icemopper, I can make you feel better. Flippy hates the SMG. He goes for noscopes or the kukri. That would make your shots fired skyrocket.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I also sit in the spawn and shoot my sniper rifle as much as I can before the round starts sometimes.

I <3 you guys! Thanks for making me feel better!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, I can't play this anymore until Bonk is fucking removed. Playing on chinese/japanese servers means 99% of the people use hacks to get all the unlocks (every scout I saw on patch day had all the unlocks already) and now every server has tons of these assholes just bonking everything. I liked playing heavy and soldier, now they are useless classes that die to bonks.

fuck it.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

what exploit?

You drink it, go to the cabinet (or drink in front of it) and supposedly you get a new drink right after the last wears off for the rest of your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yV3mLou7tw

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    PET PEEVE: THE SANDMAN IS THE BASEBALL BAT. BONK IS THE ENERGY DRINK. THAT IS ALL.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Wouldn't spamming duck kill your speed considering you move rather slow while ducked?

Yes, if you stay ducked. However if you only tap it you hardly slow down at all. Plus if the hitboxes really do change for a short duck, you could use it when sniping or firing as a Heavy to avoid headshots.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »
    hay

hay guys

guess what time it is?

(I'm still uploading it.)

EDIT: It's up right now.

And it may involve melee.
    And barns.

yay!

And now its time for a tournament. On meleebarn.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So yeah, besides the natascha thing, this patch has a lot of stuff that sucks.

They got rid of the lock on the stickybomb gun, making the chrage go from kinda useful to totally terrible.

The broke crouchjumping completely, as the slower classes, you can no longer make the crouchjump from sign to ledge on 2-2. You can't crouchjump from the ground to point on 3-1. You can't crouchjump from ground to ledge to higher ledge on 3-2.

Gj.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lock on the stickybomb gun what?

(itt tofu reveals he is a tf2 noob)

tofu on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I plan to get myself the orange box for my birthday. I've never played TF2. I am fully prepared to have a beet red ass for the following month.

Any suggestions for a class to start with? Medic seems like a decent role for a beginner, just focus on healing your team mates.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

They got rid of the lock on the stickybomb gun, making the chrage go from kinda useful to totally terrible.

The broke crouchjumping completely, as the slower classes, you can no longer make the crouchjump from sign to ledge on 2-2. You can't crouchjump from the ground to point on 3-1. You can't crouchjump from ground to ledge to higher ledge on 3-2.

Gj.

It's Valve's game, if you don't like it you should stop whining or just stop playing it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You used to be able to hold down alt fire on the sticky launcher while it charges, this would cause the meter to lock at full until you let go for when you needed it. Doesn't work anymore.

Can't crouch in the pool of water at the bottom of the 2fort stairs to put out fire anymore.

I really wish Valve would stop doing this stuff. Stuff like saving ubers with your bonesaw out. They should've made that a draw back of the ubersaw instead of getting rid of it.

edit: Juan, no, they've broken a fundamental part of Valve games since HL. Maps are designed with crouchjumping in mind. You can't do it anymore. Robin Walker says they're on it, so we'll see what they do.

Here's happy things:
    dsc0041.jpg
    dsc0043.jpg
    dsc0050.jpg
    dsc0110.jpg
    dsc0107y.jpg

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    I plan to get myself the orange box for my birthday. I've never played TF2. I am fully prepared to have a beet red ass for the following month.

Any suggestions for a class to start with? Medic seems like a decent role for a beginner, just focus on healing your team mates.

Everyone has different opinions on this. Medic is a decent starting point, make sure to heal everyone, not just one person. Tell people you're new so they can give you tips depending on the situation. Pyro is pretty simple, too. Get close and burn em. Spy and Scout would probably be bad starting points though. I learned through engineer.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nerdtendo wrote: »

Everyone has different opinions on this. Medic is a decent starting point, make sure to heal everyone, not just one person. Tell people you're new so they can give you tips depending on the situation. Pyro is pretty simple, too. Get close and burn em. Spy and Scout would probably be bad starting points though. I learned through engineer.

The engineer is a pretty solid choice if you're playing on a public server. Thoughtless people tend to abuse medics who can't penetrate the veil of probability to deploy their ubercharge at the exact nanosecond it's needed, and as such your first few rounds with the class might put you off of the game. And humanity.

I think people on public servers just accept that there will be at least one retarded engi though, and even playing conservatively you can be a big help to the team. I found that the most fundamental part of learning the engineer was to try and see your buildings through the eyes of allies as well as enemies. Learn one map at a time so you can feel out whether your turret is utterly indefensible, or if your dispenser is right beside a health/ammo cache and too far from the front, or if your teleporter will only save a jogging heavy 13 seconds. Pay attention to how your fellow engineers do things too, because most maps have been around long enough that players know "necessary" building spots that can define a defense.

Maybe try medic on offense and engineer on D?

edit: On a much more subjective note, I'd suggest you avoid playing 2Fort. Ever, if possible, but especially as an engineer and especially as a new player.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Have you playe FPS's before nerd? I'd start with soldier, if only because it can't really get much more complicated than shoot gun at man.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think engie is the best starting point personally so long as your team supports you. Then soldier because you just blow shit up. Then pyro because you just burn shit up. How ever I put pyro after soldier because it has some subtleties.

Spy is the hardest, but after like 20 - 30 hours or so, it becomes much easier. you just need to get the techniques down, and personally I find heavy or scoot pretty hard they they would come just after spy imho.

Engie will teach you defending pretty well, soldier or pyro will teach you attacking pretty well.

As for medic I would say its a tough one, the actual things you do aren't hard, its the dodging the other teams attacks (you're their primary target) so you can get an uber as well as keeping everyone healed up is quite a feat. If you don't heal everyone people bitch so when you do give it ago, let everyone else know you're new to it.

There are a load of videos on youtube with class tutorials which should get you on your way, I'll post some links if you want em.

Just remember its not about being ok at every class its better to excel in 2 or 3, that way you can switch if needed and be useful against other people who are good but you can still have a favourite that you play the most.

Look forward to seeing you on the servers!

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    palmer/remlap - good playing with you tonight duder, hope to see you around!

As for new players, I suggest medic. Yeah, it's a lot of responsibility, but after a little bit you'll get a feel for who on your team is able to protect you and who isn't. Stick with the former, and you'll get see how they play their assault class as well as learn the maps. Definitely medic.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man that sign jump on dustbowl 2-2 is gone. I hope they put it back soon, it was my special friend as a Heavy.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Same. That and the ledge jump on 3-2 are pretty important to the map dynamics.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

As for new players, I suggest medic. Yeah, it's a lot of responsibility, but after a little bit you'll get a feel for who on your team is able to protect you and who isn't. Stick with the former, and you'll get see how they play their assault class as well as learn the maps. Definitely medic.

This. Being at least halfway helpful as a medic isn't hard (make sure they know you're new, though, so they won't leave you as the only one) and after you basically learn the dark art of healing mans and ZOMG DODGE you can get a really good seat to see how the other classes are played.

Which is exactly what makes engie the worst to start with.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

This. Being at least halfway helpful as a medic isn't hard (make sure they know you're new, though, so they won't leave you as the only one) and after you basically learn the dark art of healing mans and ZOMG DODGE you can get a really good seat to see how the other classes are played.

That's a pretty valid point, but I would argue that playing engie forces new players to learn the subtle ins and outs of maps in a way that no other class can.

Definately don't do it on O though. Seriously.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

Gj.

It's Valve's game, if you don't like it you should stop whining or just stop playing it.

Wrong.
    So very very wrong.

You should complain about the shit you don't like on forums, as the designers read them and if enough people complain about something they will usually look into changing it.

Just rolling over and accepting things you don't like/accept is entirely the wrong response.

Morkath on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So is it generally accepted that the Sandman is super ridiculous and makes this game super not-fun?

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Falstaff wrote: »

That's a pretty valid point, but I would argue that playing engie forces you to learn the subtler ins and outs of maps in a way that no other class can.

Definately don't do it on O though. Seriously.

except spy...

and I would argue that playing engie allows you to do a number of things. you can find the key positions in a map. teleporters allow you to delve into the front lines without actually having to take out any number of the good players on the PA servers while having a sentry can help you get kills which is a real confidence booster. Once you have familiarised yourself without loosing hope for your ability to kill stuff then you can delve into the other classes. I followed with soldier though because you can always get heals straight away and people will tend to follow you in. Safety in numbers. I dunno, I started on sniper i think... or maybe pyro. probably pyro come to think of it.

Edit: Learning the key points in a map will help you to know when to expect sentries as a different class so you don't go rushing in and get gunned down.

Also when you get the game straight away, go to settings and video and make your pov 90 degrees, find the menu with quick switch and dev console as well and turn them on. Also I play with the minimal hud, this might just be personal preference though.

GreenPowerRanger on
This discussion has been closed.