As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Content patch (1.13) coming to Diablo 2.

• mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe choose a level youve already attained and be brought back down to that level with all the skills and points but you need to relevel to get back up there. Of course, then you should just go and restart anyways but not if you only want to drop maybe 10 levels. That could work.

Edit: I said that wrong. I mean just drop you down to the low level and go back up there but it takes away what you had done for the past X levels. By doing this you could be level 50, fucked up for the last 20 levels. Choose to go back to 30. And have to level back up but it undoes all the work you had done from 30-50. And you get to choose new things.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    Maybe choose a level youve already attained and be brought back down to that level with all the skills and points but you need to relevel to get back up there. Of course, then you should just go and restart anyways but not if you only want to drop maybe 10 levels. That could work.

Edit: I said that wrong. I mean just drop you down to the low level and go back up there but it takes away what you had done for the past X levels. By doing this you could be level 50, fucked up for the last 20 levels. Choose to go back to 30. And have to level back up but it undoes all the work you had done from 30-50. And you get to choose new things.

I would think that the problem would generally be fucking up the first half of your levels, not the second half.

jothki on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    IMHO they should nerf all the powerleveling tricks - make people level up a character for real, and then they can respec it however they like at some cost. If you have a character of every class at level 99 then congratulations, you beat Diablo 2.

Zek on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Level 99 on HARDCORE

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Am I really going to reinstall this? Oh god please someone talk me out of it, I don't think I can take going back. Although since none of my old buddies are left on it, I won't be nearly as hooked as I used to be. Unless you PA guys replace them..

Rei on
    edited March 2009
    I think you ARE going to install it. yeah. I believe so. I have the same dilemma. Its just sitting there waiting to be clicked and played. Is there anyone out there who can possibly make me do it? I may play it anyways.....hmmmmm....

mastrius on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In my case, respec would bring me back. Mainly because I play the game in two-week play-through-storyline bursts that aren't conductive to "just plan a build and do Baahl runs!". Every time I've gone online and joined boss rushes I stopped playing early because it made the game horribly dull.

Glal on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man I even bothered to post in the thread.

Fix the fucking town portal TKing bot programs and I will shower in your god damn game until the sequel comes out. It's impossible to do any socializing in Hardcore Ladder without running into instant death from some fireballing cocksucker that there's no way to avoid.

XOXO
    Jaef

JAEF on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Whoa whoa whoa.

You can uninstall Diablo 2?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    I know personally, my interest in the game would have been lengthened considerably by respecs.

I actually reinstalled the game when D3 was announced and tried making a necromancer and I got to diablo and simply couldn't kill him by myself. I would shred every single thing with my skeletons, but diablo would just kill my summons in one shot before they even hit him. Basically, my spec didn't allow me to kill him without like grinding 10 levels or getting someone else to do the brunt work for me. I know I would have kept playing had I been able to respec.

Shouldn't have tried to solo with a skelemancer. :P Really the game is a lot more fun with a bunch of people. Plus you level faster. You were, what, level 20ish when you did that? Took you probably 5 hours?

I don't know how long it took, a week or two maybe? It was a multiplayer character but I didn't play with anyone. I had the game open for the first few levels but everyone who joined wouldn't even talk and then I'd get to bosses and they'd already be dead. So eventually I just stopped leaving my games open.

I just wanted a skeleton necromancer which seemed like fun. I shouldn't have to research the game and plan a spread sheet to play it. Turns out when I got to diablo that my character that was fine pretty much all the way there, was a chump.

Dissociater on
    edited March 2009
    You should have invested the 5 minutes it apparently takes to get a new character to 70 then. Spoiled brat.

Glal on
    edited March 2009
    Spoiler: Unless you threw away a shitload of points in golems and bone spear you wouldn't have been able to solo Diablo. Which would then give you an awful build for hell difficulty. Mechnically Diablo is just a punishing fight for anyone with minions or melee attacks with little life leech. You either take him with a party or you bust out those ranged attacks. Hell, equip a bow. Or there's always the "take waypoint to act 1, get minions, return" option.

JAEF on
  • KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Spoiler: Unless you threw away a shitload of points in golems and bone spear you wouldn't have been able to solo Diablo.
    Revive. Oh, and Decrepify.

Anyway, it's also entirely possible to dual-spec a necro, though those tend to be more gear-reliant than otherwise. The last time I got into ladder (again), I ended up with a pure summon build, a summon/bone and a summon/poison, all ~95. They do require decent gear to really excel though, specifically aura-stacking for the summons & a teleport for them to focus targets. It is entirely possible to solo your way to hell A5 on an untwinked necro though, if a little tedious at times.

Kivutar on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    I would think that the problem would generally be fucking up the first half of your levels, not the second half.

See... I don't see it that way. I think if you are going to frivoulously waste points in the begining, you should have a harsh penalty. If I could waste ALL my points in the begining on low level abilities, there would be no challenge for the initial half of the game, until I could entirely retool my character for the second half. Otherwise, without penalty, then it is just done.

What type of sorcerous do you have?

Every kind! I can retool everything for free!

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not everyone plays online. I personally hate 99.99% of the community on battle.net. I prefer to just play offline and set it to /players 8. Plus my game is much more stable on single player. I don't have to worry about the latancy issues and rubberbanding and other lag problems related to b.net.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2009
    Plus, if you don't like respecs, don't use them. "I don't care for them, BUT YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE THEM!" is pretty petty.

Glal on
    edited March 2009
    Kivutar wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    Spoiler: Unless you threw away a shitload of points in golems and bone spear you wouldn't have been able to solo Diablo.
    Revive. Oh, and Decrepify.

Anyway, it's also entirely possible to dual-spec a necro, though those tend to be more gear-reliant than otherwise. The last time I got into ladder (again), I ended up with a pure summon build, a summon/bone and a summon/poison, all ~95. They do require decent gear to really excel though, specifically aura-stacking for the summons & a teleport for them to focus targets. It is entirely possible to solo your way to hell A5 on an untwinked necro though, if a little tedious at times.
    Revive is a level 30 skill. If you're hitting Diablo doing mostly solo play you're going to be between 22-29, maybe 31 at most if you've run a few things several times. That leaves you with two mediocre revives that are still going to get instagibbed by Diablo's flamethrower. He doesn't kid around.

JAEF on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So yeah I installed it and played it. Hit 5 with my lightning sorc (never did a lightning sorc for some reason... I normally do frozen orb/static field/teleport). Also damn it. I mustn't get addicted. I have to beat MGS3 and start on MGS4 this weekend.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    Also fuck you guys. Obviously it doesn't take 5 minutes to get to 70... I was using what we adults like to call a metaphor. I know it's complicated. :P

urahonky on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shit
    Shit

You know what this game needs?

The ability to hotkey attack abilities to things other than my mouse buttons!

I swear, playing some classes you have to give yourself carpal tunnel rapidswitching between skills so fast.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited March 2009
    A metaphor? So leveling a character to 70 in 5 minutes is a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day?

(I believe the term you meant to use was exaggeration)

Lucascraft on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also fuck you guys. Obviously it doesn't take 5 minutes to get to 70... I was using what we adults like to call a metaphor. I know it's complicated. :P

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

chasehatesbears on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Shit
    Shit

I swear, playing some classes you have to give yourself carpal tunnel rapidswitching between skills so fast.

It's been ages since I've played, but couldn't you mouse over a skill, and push like f1 or f2 and it would bind to that? or am I remembering wrong

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited March 2009
    Ugh fuck you guys even harder. I was... Just. Fuck you guys.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    I was just trying to help. I figure since you're an adult who uses things called metaphors, you probably would want to know what it was you were using. /shrug.

Lucascraft on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You are one hyperbolic fellow.

Vi Monks on
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I was just trying to help. I figure since you're an adult who uses things called metaphors, you probably would want to know what it was you were using. /shrug.

OLOL I GET IT.

e: Vi, I'm more of an logarithmic fellow.

urahonky on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

You know you love us. :P
    jack eddy wrote:
    See... I don't see it that way. I think if you are going to frivoulously waste points in the begining, you should have a harsh penalty. If I could waste ALL my points in the begining on low level abilities, there would be no challenge for the initial half of the game, until I could entirely retool my character for the second half. Otherwise, without penalty, then it is just done.

What type of sorcerous do you have?

Every kind! I can retool everything for free!

Why should anyone be "punished"? In an ideal world, if you can put 20 points into a skill, then those 20 points should be at least reasonably / comparably useful to gameplay. Sure, there will always be obsessive types who min/max the exact ideal build for a cookie cutter ____/____zon partied with a ____barb and a ____ress, but why should I have to create literally hundreds of characters to test out absurd builds and concepts, wasting potentially hundreds or thousands of hours? It's a game, not a research job.

Merely being able respec doesn't harm anyone. I put my XYZ hours into my Necro/barb/zon/ress/sin/d/whatever, and if I get 5 hours enjoyment out of being a full Hydra sorceress and want to try playing full Frost the next weekend, I don't see why I should have to commit another 2/5/whatever hours to getting high enough to be happy messing around with that build. And that assumes I always have a high level friend willing to drag me along for 2/5/whatver hours every single time I want to get 50+ levels on some random build character.

Urahonky and I have gone numerous rounds on this one, and while I respect his viewpoint and am fine with there existing a playstyle of some sort that meets his "planning trees weeks in advance and perfect placement of every point", I don't feel that less dedicated/hardcore players should be penalized for testing out the bloody skills in the game. Edit: and no, a character builder offline isn't just as good. The freedom to try the multiple playstyles inherant to the trees shouldn't necessitate having 21+ characters comprising likely hundreds of hours of playtime just to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

Now, to be fair, applying this to D3, we're both getting respecs and Blizzard is following the WoW style of skill trees, with far fewer points used to max out many such skills, but even applied to late D2, what harm would there be in instituting a respec system that let people mess around with their classes (even if it required a lengthy quest/event, a high fee in terms of gold and/or items, or something granted infrequently, perhaps once per month?) without having to farm up x hours of mooching off friends for the chance just to play the game?

I'm not advocating making levelling easier, just making skill point exploration less punishing. I shouldn't have to read that 20 points in charged bolt is fun as hell on some levels/difficulties, and a giant pile of ass on later ones, nor should trying it out all the way to the x0's condemn me to another xyz hours of levelling another character of the same class. Such restrictive gameplay choices are, in my opinion, outdated and punitive for no good reason than making a small hardcore minority of a game feel better about themselves.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Arkan wrote: »
    Shit
    Shit

It's been ages since I've played, but couldn't you mouse over a skill, and push like f1 or f2 and it would bind to that? or am I remembering wrong

Yes, but you still have to hit that key and then press the mouse button.

What I mean is, you could have hotkeys where you hit that key and it just uses that ability right away.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited March 2009
    Honestly I don't ever "plan my trees in advance". I think the best skill should be found by myself, not by some other people's reactions. If I try out a build and it sucks... Then so be it. But I'd say 90% of the time you'll be fine all the way to Hell difficulty with whatever build you choose. Then you use your experience to make a better character afterward.

I wouldn't say that I'm hardcore about Diablo 2 I just think being able to respec changes the dynamic of the game. Especially as a sorceress. I mean I think it'd be kinda lame to be able to switch from Fire to Ice to Lightning at will just because you can't beat one boss. I think the game should be all about teamwork.

I tell people to look at trees because people like to think they are fucking things up if they put a stray point into whatever skill they think is useful. I personally put a lot of points into Warmth even though every single build out there tells you to only put one (if that). *Shrug* I like to make my own characters the way I want to make them. Not how everyone else makes them (which is why my hunter in WoW was pet specced (I'm so proud I don't remember the name of the tree!) back when everyone was bow specced).

Also, yes Forar, I do love you guys. I'm just giving people shit because they gave me shit. Circle of shit, as I like to call it.

urahonky on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The game should be balanced around always using your skill points as you level up to encourage the spending of them and keeping the players interested. I'd still play Diablo 2 if it had respecs and was balanced around the full use of all my skill points. How boring is it to get rushed through or use 0 skill points as you get to a higher level to put the optimal amount of points into the optimal skill (or prereqs) only? The answer is very.

You're right, though, that the game would be too easy to allow respecs at this point without rebalancing the early game. The game's obvious imbalances and "exploits" (i use the term loosely to mean level rushing, stacking of skill points, etc) have seen to that.

As for what I'd like to see in the game: Rebalance of early game/fixing of rushing as to allow a higher level character to actually mean something.

4rch3nemy on
    edited March 2009
    In response to your Lightning Sorc. . . best of luck to you. I tried a lightning sorc as my first ever character in Diablo 2 1.0. I was coming from D1 in which chain lightning was OP as hell, so I figured it would be cool again.

But CL in D2 is nothing like CL in D1, and I was sorely disappointed with my character.

Also, the 1 to 1000 damage range can really screw you over. I don't like the randomness of the lightning tree. Sure, it has potential to rip some huge numbers, but most of the time (according to the laws of averages) your numbers end up somewhere in the middle for really lackluster damage.

Of course, my experience is all from Diablo2 1.0. Lightning could be way awesome now with synergies and better equipment. I just never tried it again after my first failed attempt in the original.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2009
    This be some harsh stuff here. I dont like Mommy and Daddy fighting :( *sniff*

Edit: and I always build my own characters. I find it fun. I also find it fun to get back up to the level I was at. I usually stop after playing for a month anyways and my guy ends up deleted and I start again. Not too big a deal. When I play again after months or whatever I find it fun to get back up there. And if I was playing like crazy I like starting new characters anyways. I cant find a good side between respeccing or not. I wouldnt care one way or the other. If you dont like it and its there, just dont use it. If you do, then do use it. I dunno.

mastrius on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

This is nothing. Ura and I were comitting daily Big Block of Text attrocities at one another 'round Hellgate London.

Good times, good times.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, urahonky, you think that of the choices between powerleveling that forces players to bypass the entire content of the game in order to get to a reasonable level quickly and requires outside help, or respeccing, the choice that BREAKS THE GAME is a better one?

Jesus christ. What a retarded position.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, the randomness is going to be a problem, but I think that if I work on getting fast cast speed, tons of mana, and a ton of lightning damage it should be a problem if I can spam the hell out of it.

And yeah CL doesn't nearly do as much damage as it used to in D1. CL was so awesome in D1 (as was Apocalypse).

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    Forar wrote: »

This is nothing. Ura and I were comitting daily Big Block of Text attrocities at one another 'round Hellgate London.

Good times, good times.

Haha. If you walk me to the store it'll be alright though.

mastrius on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    urhonkey light sorces require an unbelievably expensive amount of gear...I have like the most baller perfect hammerdin and various other characters I've run through and barely had enough to make a CHEAP effective light sorc

(by cheap I'd say about 6 or 7 nigmas worth of gear)

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lies. The light sorc I botted with was almost as good as my hammerdin and only cost a little bit more. Had trouble with the light immunes and didn't have as much health, but otherwise she was great. Hell of a lot more fun to actually play as well.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Griff, anni, sorc torch, sojs, nos coil, maras, sojs, eschutas/monarch spirit, jewels

that shit ain't cheap...and none of mine are perfect or anything but in order to be able to be a light sorc that can kill those immunes you gotta have it!

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg