As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My web designer is an idiot right?

2»

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Then I would suggest buying him some books/giving him some resources on real web design and allowing some decent amount of time (one to two months at least) to learn. It is obvious he has absolutely no idea what the hell he's doing: you can either give him a chance to learn, or find a different job for him.

I don't have high hopes, honestly. "It's too hard" is not a phrase that anyone should use in a professional capacity.

edit:

To expand, there are two stages to this guy's education: first, he needs to learn how to solve problems. To be more specific, he needs to learn how to learn to solve problems. There are very few subjects that do not have a boatload of information available on the internet. Learning how to seek out and use that information is more important than learning a specific skill. Second, he needs to learn that it is never, ever, ever acceptable to abandon a project because it's "too hard." He needs to change his mindset, so that instead he comes to you and says, "I'm struggling to understand X, so this will take longer than anticipated."

admanb on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i could do this project, and i in no way would ever even begin to attempt to market myself as a website builder, because being able to do something like that does not make you a professional web-guy. I've completed similar projects in my teens, just by getting packages like the one you've linked to -- it doesn't take a genius to say "oh hey this is frame1.jpg here in the code, i think i'll change frame1.jpg to be ((COMPANY RELATED COLOURS AND CONTENT)) and re-save it so it pops up in the same place!"

i don't care if you're "like a family" -- your company hired someone incompetent, and it's holding all of you back. not only that, it brings down the standards for other ACTUAL web-designers.

to be honest with you, i don't think classes are going to help him. a package like the one you linked to is a matter of common sense. website building isn't a matter of steps, it's a matter of problem solving, trial and error -- and your dude is certainly not showing any signs of problem solving. "It's too hard" ... unprofessional and lazy.

mully on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I did look at that site (I'm a web developer, own a company, and transitioning to managing the web department for a very large corporate entity this month because I'm a terrible business person) but I am a very, very good web developer, and I will tell you, those templates are reaaaally bad. I'd talk to your developer and ask him what type of work he wants to do/etc, he may just not want to work on such awful templates.

The design is fine, but the coding is really rubbish. I wouldn't pay 15 dollars to use them: I'd install Drupal or Wordpress or CMSMadeSimple for free, & just modify the templates they come with.

No need to use something that looks pretty but is technically rubbish.

streever on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They aren't really bad. They're not bad at all.

In fact I turned an emo website template that was all black and red and woe-is-me template into a style that worked for a business because they liked the layout. And I have absolutely 0 artistic ability.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Simply put, your web designer should not be in the position he is in. If you are all one big "family", then give him a new job. Whether or not the guy is fired, there is just absolutely no way he can continue to be in the position is in. He is unable to perform tasks that I, and many others, did in eighth grade. Moreover, instead of trying to figure out what he's doing wrong, he just gives up and says "we can't do this, it's too hard". You have to have some idea of the amount of people who would probably jump at the chance to take his job, yet he stops because the process mully described was "too hard" for him to figure out. That is the basest of the base HTML skills.

For what it's worth, I'm a college freshman who once took a half-semester HTML course in eighth grade and tooled around with a 2 week dreamweaver trial around that time as well. Those are my "credentials". If you gave me twenty five minutes with the layout and the pictures you wanted to place on your website, they would be done.

If you can't/won't fire this man, just change his job description to something that stays the hell away from web design.

matthias00 on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    streever wrote: »
    I'd talk to your developer and ask him what type of work he wants to do/etc, he may just not want to work on such awful templates.

Those templates are piss easy to work with though. If he's lying about having a problem with something because he doesn't want to work on it, that's a whole other problem.
    No need to use something that looks pretty but is technically rubbish.

Meh, if it renders correctly on all of the A-class browsers, it's fine. Besides, most Template Monster designs I've had to work with validate (or are close enough to valid) right out of the box.

wasted pixels on
    edited March 2009
    Pay 65 dollars for a template which uses tables for layout when drupal/word press are free? I dunno...! :) I'd just do a freebie one. Ease of update is more important than design, validation, or semantics imho.

streever on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fire his ass and hire one of the many unemployed web designers you can find on this very forum!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Since you keep stating this so emphatically: why exactly can you not fire him? Is there a reason that, even if you cannot fire him, you can't give him a different task, one that he might be better suited to? We've given you advice on the general situation of "what do do about an incompetent web designer". If you want help for your specific situation, we need to know exactly what that specific situation is.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    grrr. so committee decided that instead of forcing him to even use the template we chose (y'know... as a committee) that we're gonna let him do his job and see how that goes. Yaaay.

I'm gonna see if I can borrow a computer from work with dreamweaver on it and the template we bought that he's not using and see what i can do.

futility on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow.

Lewisham on
  • DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    futility wrote: »
    grrr. so committee decided that instead of forcing him to even use the template we chose (y'know... as a committee) that we're gonna let him do his job and see how that goes. Yaaay.

I'm gonna see if I can borrow a computer from work with dreamweaver on it and the template we bought that he's not using and see what i can do.

This ia H/A. Not bitch-and-complain-land.

Also, web designers > bureaucratic committees. Listen to your IT people, they know what they're talking about - after all, it's their job.

Distram on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Did you explain to the committee that allowing him to continue in this capacity can do nothing but hurt your organization? Do they understand the gravity of the situation, how completely incompetent he is at this job and how bad an idea it is to allow him to continue working as a "web designer"?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2009
    I am one of the IT people
    and y'know I thought it'd be kind of nice to share the results of the advice I asked for
    sorry I guess for that

futility on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Did you explain to the committee that allowing him to continue in this capacity can do nothing but hurt your organization? Do they understand the gravity of the situation, how completely incompetent he is at this job and how bad an idea it is to allow him to continue working as a "web designer"?
    yeah i understand how you guys consider yourselves a family, but this is fundamental.

it's like your IT not knowing how to turn on a computer.

especially with hundreds of web developers looking to get their start and looking for some business to give them their first job, this is just stupid.

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
    edited March 2009

I basically said I had no faith in his ability because of the work he's put out and his saying that it was super hard to work with a template was inexcusable and a sign that he wasn't good at what he was doing. I then said that we could probably get a kid who wanted to pad their resume to do it for free.

He was at this meeting too... I felt like a bit of a dick, but it also needed to be said.

futility on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    and y'know I thought it'd be kind of nice to share the results of the advice I asked for
    sorry I guess for that
    Except you didn't take any of the advice offered, not one shred. It's basically like you came back to tell us all "thanks for your great advice, we decided to completely ignore everything you had to say and continue doing things the stupid way."

edit: he never should have been at the meeting, or you should have met with a few people about the situation before that meeting

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    templates aside. internet aside even

clipped edges and extra whitespace on images is inexcusable.

end of discussion.

to relate it to IT again it's like saying "i fixed your computer. only I'm not sure how to put a power supply in so you're going to have go without that"

HIGHSCHOOL kids can get rid of that extra white space.

edit: yeah why was he at a meeting that would determine his position in the company? your company sounds like it's run by idiots

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

edit: yeah why was he at a meeting that would determine his position in the company? your company sounds like it's run by idiots

This is veering off topic. The OP wasn't asking anyone to criticize his company, and given how he talks about them I doubt he's going to respond well to any advice that calls them idiots.

admanb on
    edited March 2009
    sorry I guess for that
    Except you didn't take any of the advice offered, not one shred. It's basically like you came back to tell us all "thanks for your great advice, we decided to completely ignore everything you had to say and continue doing things the stupid way."

edit: he never should have been at the meeting, or you should have met with a few people about the situation before that meeting

I don't follow... the advice I asked for was whether or not he was wrong... he was
    Beyond that everyone said fire him... which I said I can't
    And yeah it sucked having him be at the meeting, but he's on the commitee too

Yes the nonprofit i work for is crazy... meh what do you want me to do

thread's done now... can be locked... thx.

futility on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009

I basically said I had no faith in his ability because of the work he's put out and his saying that it was super hard to work with a template was inexcusable and a sign that he wasn't good at what he was doing. I then said that we could probably get a kid who wanted to pad their resume to do it for free.

He was at this meeting too... I felt like a bit of a dick, but it also needed to be said.

Damn, stone cold futility :D

For future reference, no major decisions are ever made in meetings. You need to present your case and persuade people of your point individually before the meeting, so you know they are all going to agree with you before you walk into the room.

Right, one final piece of advice. Buy this book. Read it yourself - forget about Dreamweaver, Dreamweaver complicates matters and takes a hell of a lot longer to learn than the contents of this book and the value of learning the contents of this book are astronomical compared to the value of learning to use Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is just one tool, this book is the knowledge that will allow you to use any tool you want to build websites. After reading this book, you could scrawl HTML in the sand on a beach, have an aerial photographer take a snapshot of it, feed the photograph through OCR software and output a .txt document, rename it as an .html document and it will be a functioning webpage. Seriously, any tool. You're an IT guy so reading, understanding and learning the contents of this book will be like learning to boil an egg - eggstreamly easy, if you will.

You can read this book in a weekend, then give it to your web designer. Once you've both read it, you have two guys on staff who understand the basics of building a website with XHTML and CSS. Maybe he already knows this stuff, but at least it means there's someone else on the committee who can talk to him and understand the subject (although I suspect his problem is that he's learned Dreamweaver without learning the fundamentals of web design, so he's relying on Dreamweaver to do the coding for him which just doesn't work).

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited March 2009
    Looks like a good book.

To the guy who posted his question:
    Don't even answer the people whining that you've "ignored their advice".

I mean come on,
    the advice was mean-spritied, inappropriate, & belayed a basic ignorance of how the world works. It was filled with doomsday proclomations & nerd-rage in which this person--who was hired, for whatever reason--was essentially labeled useless & without any apparent value.

You asked if the web designer was an idiot. You didn't ask "How do I eliminate all traces of his undesirable flesh"?

People need to adjust their perceptions, spend a few years in a corporation or real world environment, and then tell us how they got rid of unhelpful employees. Trust me, making a scene, or telling your boss that your co-worker is "worthless" is not going to get rid of that employee. It will lead to your termination, however.

I think you made a mistake at that meeting. Don't attack fellow employee's skill: EVEN IF YOU ARE RIGHT, you are also criticizing your boss, who picked that person. Now you are saying, in essence, "Your judgement sucks". Instead, show your boss some things that aren't working well, & ask him/her if they can sit down with the employee to resolve this. Make it about resolutions, as you seemed to originally want to do, before the raging crew filled your head with nietzce & the survival of the fittest crap.

streever on
    edited March 2009
    You say attack, I say criticize. Clearly he is not doing what he was hired to do. End of discussion, and as a supervisor, that needs to be addressed to whomever has the authority to do it.

Basic business shit. We're trying to help this guy do a multiple of things from discovering the issue, to addressing the issue, to solving the issue.

Any of the ideas will work, some are less than ideal (firing this guy obviously isn't in the books), but relocating him to another area is. Taking his sullied hands from the project is an idea that needs to be slammed home. If all he was looking for was "My web designer is an idiot, right?" the thread would've been locked after the first post because he clearly is, but it seems futility is looking for something more, some help, and some advice, on a more deep level on how to deal with the situation at hand. However you seem to be operating under the assumption that this guy can do the job at hand, and very clearly he cannot, which is what we are advocating. Not eating his manflesh because he doesn't deserve our precious air.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Another option would be to bring in a more experienced web designer who could perhaps mentor the existing guy whilst also helping to get the site up and running.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited March 2009
    Actually that's not a bad idea szech.

bowen on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, if it's like a family, treat it like a family. When a kid keeps breaking dishes, the parents don't keep having him wash the dishes -- they give him a different chore. If he gets better, then after a while they may let him try washing the dishes again.

Do the same with your "family." Have someone else do the site and let him do some menial task or other job that he IS good at, or at least competent. Unless you're all volunteers doing this for no money, issues like cost and bottom lines still factor into it -- gotta keep the lights on, after all.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited March 2009
    oh god guys, seriously :)

It just feels a lot like pontification. The blanket statements, the "cut and dry" stuff, it's not really black & white.

Your comments feel so judgemental! So tough! That stuff gets you labelled as difficult/uncooperative in a work place.

Clearly he's young, in a position he says he's lucky to have, don't encourage him to fuck it up. Trust me, young people telling people in the company how to run it end up getting spanked.

OP, please do not ever try any of the arguments you are presented with here with your boss, against this developer. It's really simple. Instead, go to your boss, & say, "Hey, I'm a little concerned about the web site. These images are really jaggy!" Your boss will probably say, "Oh, they are! What should we do?" and you can say, "I'm not sure. I asked the developer to fix them & he hasn't. Do you have any advice on how to work with him to get this done?"

Your boss should be giving you advice on working with your colleagues, not this crew. It's not about shaming people or right & wrong. It's about working together. That's what "teamwork" is. Ayn Rand would disagree, but she also never held a job, which is something I think you probably want to do.

Look, I'm 28, I was the senior web developer of a firm for 2 years. I had an employee who sucked. I learned the hard way how to work with the situation--I left & he stayed. I don't think you want that. Their website & their work sucks, still, and that was in 2006. It's 3 years later. They haven't updated their website in all that time. They are a shit company. I was "right" in one sense. I still had a hard 6 months getting back on my feet.

Don't go in there swinging your dong, getting into arguments. That doesn't work. That job damaged my ability to get future jobs, honestly, because it becomes a bad reference. Even though I've learned & greatly improved my "management" skills, it's still a black mark on my record. Luckily I'm in the criminal background check phase right now to be hired by one of the top universities in the nation to manage a web department right now, & I was able to explain the management skills issue in an interview. But it added 2 weeks to the job interview process. Not fun.

Don't screw this up. Just relax, and approach your boss looking for help. Tell him you don't feel comfortable with the situation, & why, but avoid insulting your co-worker. Instead point out the problems with the work.

BE PREPARED TO BE TOLD NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT
    and don't argue!

your boss is the final say
    you approach him/her, tell them your concerns, & then ACCEPT their final judgement

if you have a good boss, it won't work that way, they will work with you (much as they'll want you to do with this co-worker)

Seriously guys, I'm sorry to debate you all, it's not something I like doing, but I Really think that you are leading this fellow down the wrong path. I say this as someone who has fucked up before in a very, very similar situation.

I think you have a good suggestion, too, Szechuanosaurus, but again, I'd go to the "big boss" with it.

Management exists LITERALLY to handle these things. This is why there are managers & supervisors who seem to do so little of the real work. Employees so rarely reach out to them, but doing so resolves issues so quickly. (And makes you appear to be a better employee)

Bowen, in the same breath that you deny that you are attacking, you refer to this fellow you don't know as having "sullied hands". I mean come on. Plain & clear, that's an emotive judgement! It's an attack. That's what I'm objecting to here. You don't talk that way in a company. I understand you aren't in the company, but I do think the approach you are advocating is WAY more harsh than anything that should be done.

streever on
    edited March 2009
    He's in his 40's

futility on
    edited March 2009
    He's not getting into arguments, he's doing his job as whatever his company labeled him as for the IT guy.

I am really not seeing how going "Look James doesn't have the knowledge or ability to do X, let's have him do something else and find someone who can" is being a cock-smashing dong-waver that you're making it out to be.

Which is completely the opposite of walking into your bosses office and screaming while unzipping your fly and slapping him with your dick and going "LISTEN TO ME JAMES CAN'T DO IT WE SHOULD FIRE HIM AND HIRE GORGEOUS LADIES RIGHT NOW."

Being an IT director for 5 years and dealing with people who say they can do something and really can't is my experience, so take away what you want. You shouldn't be skirting around people to spare their feelings, this is a professional world and if people can't do something, quite honestly there's no reason to make them keep their job so they don't cry.

This person is clearly not able to do the job other than opening up front shop or dream weaver and change some text here and there and take huge photos and crop while leaving distortions and what have you. That's about the average skill of someone who has no knowledge of web design, and in this day and age, it's your average mom or pop and some joe bazooka who doesn't understand what they're doing.

bowen on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    a 40 year old who deemed something in the spectrum of his job "too hard" to do?

wow.

you know, your other option is to learn how to do these things that he can't do (which trust me, you can figure it out very easily) and go to your boss and say "here's how you do this. i think this would be useful for _____ to learn." and see if your boss handles it that way. that way, you aren't being malicious because you're offering help, but you're also showing that you know how to do something that is necessary to the company, despite it being out of your hands.

i'm really interested to see how everyone responds to this problem, honestly; i have an inept coworker myself.

mully on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    streever wrote: »
    lots of stuff that almost seems to imply that streever is the guy futility is complaining about

Let's say you hired a carpenter to make your kitchen cabinets, but the cabinets he delivered were crooked, the doors wouldn't open, and they kept falling off the walls. The guy obviously can't build cabinets, so you buy him some Ikea cabinets to assemble, but he fucks those up too and says it's because they're poorly made. Your carpenter is obviously incompetent, and he's now misleading you to cover up his incompetence. Should you fire him, or should you pay him and just live with shitty, incorrectly assembled cabinets?

Let's say you hired a repairman to fix your washing machine vibrating around, but instead of putting a shim under the uneven leg, he decided to take it apart to tinker with it, breaking it in the process and flooding your laundry room. The guy obviously can't fix washing machines, so you buy a new one from Best Buy for him to install, but he says he won't work with it because he's afraid of plugging things into a 220-240 outlets. Should you fire him, or should you pay him and just start washing your clothes by hand?

Let's say you hired anybody who is grossly incompetent. They fail to perform their services in a professional, workmanlike fashion, and when you attempt to supplement their work with outside help -- at your expense -- to get the project done, they try to cover their incompetence up by blaming the outside help for their shortcomings.

We're not just picking on this guy when we say he doesn't deserve this job. He's obviously grossly unqualified for the position to the extent that it's directly harmful to the organization in question, and he's also depriving a capable person of the gig.

wasted pixels on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys, I think Streever isn't arguing the fact that the guy doesn't know what he's doing, but that it's not the OP's place to go to his boss and tell him he should be fired. If there's an issue with the employee's skills he can work with the employee or bring up the issues with his boss, but in no way should he bring up that the guy should be fired or anything like that.

Ganluan on
    edited March 2009
    Whose place is it?

After you answer "The Boss;" Who will let the boss know?

bowen on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Whose place is it?

After you answer "The Boss;" Who will let the boss know?

As I mentioned: He can bring up specific issues (i.e., "Soandso is having a hard time with this project so it will be behind schedule") but should NOT go in and say "Soandso is incompetent and bringing the company down".

Ganluan on
  • AreciboArecibo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It doesn't seem as though he wants to learn, nor is personally interested in bettering himself for the company, even after he and others have been told directly that the work needs to be improved. What else can you do to motivate him? He obviously knows that he isn't going anywhere. He has no incentive to do what needs to be done.

No matter what good advice will be given in this thread, nothing will change because the structure of the organization prevents it.

Also, web designers should not be on any committee that has to do with the organization as a whole, unless the organization is somehow built around them.

Arecibo on
    edited March 2009
    Thanks Granulan!

Yes, it's not that any of you are wrong! It's just that none of that will matter.

What's important is that Futility handle this appropriately. Trust me, entering into a grudge match/etc is going to make it go very badly.

So he's incompetent. OK. Now how do we PRODUCTIVELY deal with it? Proclomations don't make that happen! People skills do.

Here's an example.

1. Futility starts a pissing contest in a public meeting.
    2. His co-workers, who clearly don't know web dev, think he's being unprofessional
    3. He tells the guy to shape up
    4. The guy complains to the boss
    5. Futility is getting no where with the guy, so he complains to boss
    6. Boss now has a long list of reasons why Futility won't work out, but 0 reasons why the web developer sucks

This is how this stuff happens. I'm trying to prevent Futility from making a mistake & behaving in a very unprofessional manner.

We can judge the org all we want! But it doesn't help Futility. Instead it may just inspire him to do something like criticize the guy in a public meeting. Bad idea.

When he says, "I may have looked like a dick"... the only people who get away with being dicks ARE the bosses. I mean the big bosses. The bosses who don't have other bosses. No one else gets away with that.

Yes it sucks & yes it's shit but that's how companies work.

Here's how this COULD play out if Futility goes to his boss NOW:

1. Futility starts a pissing contest in a public meeting.
    2. His co-workers, who clearly don't know web dev, think he's being unprofessional
    3. Futility goes to his boss & says, "I'm sorry if I'm being tough on the web developer. I'm just frustrated because I feel like he's not making needed changes. Here are the current problems with the site. I felt like I approached him about this & did not receive a commitment to fix the problems. Can you help me work with him to get this done?"
    4. Boss know sees a good employee who didn't keep his cool & maybe was in over his head, but was willing to let go of his ego to work with people. Boss likes him.
    5. Web developer continues to be a shmuck.
    6. Boss now has ample reason to fire web dev. & ample reason to adore Futility.

Arecibo:
    Really? Do you know this, or do you infer this from a few postings on a message board? :). I think if Futility approaches his boss in a level-headed, non personal, polite manner, this can resolve & work well. Not as quick as some would like, but still, it can be resolved. And YES a good web developer should be an organizer! Many web developers have a diverse skill set, bring a lot of value, & are not just people who are good with computers. If they are an excellent developer, I'm sure they have a lot of knowledge of online audiences, how to market, what types of events, etc. I say this as a member of the Board of Zoning Appeals for my city (an important post), and a member of 2 other organizations Boards (A cycling group & an environmental group that plants every tree the City owns in New Haven). I raise a lot of money & plan a lot of things & definitely have a place on the 2 non-profits & the municipal board! :)

streever on
This discussion has been closed.