As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metal Gear Raiden? See Page 85 (Previously the MGS4 Thread)

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Damn, maybe that's why it's so epic. I can't imagine being in a boss fight for 2-3 hours. I'd probably get too pissed. And damn about the camo... I wish I'd known. Oh well, I have a hard enough time holding people up that aren't bosses... I can't imagine how long it would have taken for me.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Damn, maybe that's why it's so epic. I can't imagine being in a boss fight for 2-3 hours. I'd probably get too pissed. And damn about the camo... I wish I'd known. Oh well, I have a hard enough time holding people up that aren't bosses... I can't imagine how long it would have taken for me.

You just have to stand behind him and point your gun at his head.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So MGS3 question:
    I just got to the part where Volgin beats the shit out of Snake and then shoots Sokolov's kneecaps. After that your screen is black and Volgin is beating you up... But for some reason I think the game skipped a cutscene or something because after he got me to about 80% health he said something like "you're tough" and then I ended up in a cell.

The reason I think it skipped something is because when I called EVA she asked me why I stopped Ocelot from shooting her or something. But I don't remember Ocelot being in the scene except when he walked by The Boss when she left.

So if you know what happened I'd appreciate it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hahahaha you so did

take a good look at snake the next time you get the chance

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So MGS3 question:
    I just got to the part where Volgin beats the shit out of Snake and then shoots Sokolov's kneecaps. After that your screen is black and Volgin is beating you up... But for some reason I think the game skipped a cutscene or something because after he got me to about 80% health he said something like "you're tough" and then I ended up in a cell.

The reason I think it skipped something is because when I called EVA she asked me why I stopped Ocelot from shooting her or something. But I don't remember Ocelot being in the scene except when he walked by The Boss when she left.

ocelot shot your cornea off

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So MGS3 question:

ocelot shot your cornea off

FUCK! Any way to find the video? Maybe on youtube?

e: aha! they are on youtube!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Holy shit that was crazy!

urahonky on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yea it's an awesome sequence.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

All the ways I know to beat him are:
    Straight up rock him. There's a lot of ways to do this, though. You can sneak up on him, you can find a sniper nest of your own and out-snipe him, tranq his parrot to lure him out, and probably some I'm forgetting.

Find the secret sniper rifle towards the start of the game, and kill him on the docks while he's still asleep.

Don't play for a week/set the internal clock ahead a week. When you come back you'll find that he's died of old age.

My favorite thing to do is...
    tranq his parrot and eat it. Now thats bad ass. (You can't really defeat him by doing this, but its still awesome.) You can also track is footprints or use the thermals and microphone to find him.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    greeble wrote: »

All the ways I know to beat him are:
    Straight up rock him. There's a lot of ways to do this, though. You can sneak up on him, you can find a sniper nest of your own and out-snipe him, tranq his parrot to lure him out, and probably some I'm forgetting.

Find the secret sniper rifle towards the start of the game, and kill him on the docks while he's still asleep.

Don't play for a week/set the internal clock ahead a week. When you come back you'll find that he's died of old age.

My favorite thing to do is...

tranq his parrot and eat it. Now thats bad ass. (You can't really defeat him by doing this, but its still awesome.) You can also track is footprints or use the thermals and microphone to find him.

Actually, you can. If you eat his parrot, he can't pray to the forest to recover stamina. Then you can just wait and wait until his stamina drains had stamina-kill him with a single traq shot. That's what I did.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i really wish i had picked up subsistence...it seemed like it had the best craziness of mgs2 without the suck. but the camera killed the original. i mean seriously, not being able to look in front of you?
    by the time subsistence came out my ps2 stopped working.

Sam on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The best way to kill the end was...
    ...nuke the old dude way before you fight him. I did not expect the chair to fly that high.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ahh, this is so much better on my first HDTV. It's a Samsung 22 inch, 1080 P. I can now read the Stress and Camo Percentages, and read what items are CQC able. I like being able to read <3

The damn thing has no audio output, of all things, so I had to stick my old stereos into it with a Y plug into the headphones jack. I'll have to look for a cheap 5.1 surround sometime...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In retrospect, MGS3 had a lot more replay value for me than MGS4 ever did. Throughout all of MGS4 I thought I didn't understand CQC. Then I realized I really only did have a few CQC moves, and they really were that hard to execute. I always end up releasing a person from their chokehold instead of knocking them out by crouching down and then moving the SIXAXIS sideways to turn the guy over.

I liked the overall environments more and the CQC was better than MGS4's (understandably - MGS4 made sure it wasn't overpowered like it was in MGS3, plus Big Boss was more powerful than Old Snake in CQC).

The online play in MGS4 is solid. It could be so good I'd still play it, but it needs the following to be good:

-Free tournaments:
    not paying $12 for an overpriced addon to gain access to tournaments!

-More characters:
    they do NOT need to be bought, Konami - I don't see COD4 or Gears, both great online games MGS4 could've competed with, asking for $$ for a small feature.

-Better clothing shop:
    the customization in this game is strong. The system in which you purchase gear & clothing is not (via PS3 browser). It could be better than RB6V2's...

-More maps:
    There are seriously about 5 maps. You can buy more (only 2-3 for $12), but **FIVE** maps?! Did I pay for a demo?

I really like the gameplay and customization system online. It's a shame there are so few players because of reasons listed above, glitchers, and more.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »
    In retrospect, MGS3 had a lot more replay value for me than MGS4 ever did. Throughout all of MGS4 I thought I didn't understand CQC. Then I realized I really only did have a few CQC moves, and they really were that hard to execute. I always end up releasing a person from their chokehold instead of knocking them out by crouching down and then moving the SIXAXIS sideways to turn the guy over.

I liked the overall environments more and the CQC was better than MGS4's (understandably - MGS4 made sure it wasn't overpowered like it was in MGS3, plus Big Boss was more powerful than Old Snake in CQC).

The online play in MGS4 is solid. It could be so good I'd still play it, but it needs the following to be good:

-Free tournaments:
    not paying $12 for an overpriced addon to gain access to tournaments!

-More characters:
    they do NOT need to be bought, Konami - I don't see COD4 or Gears, both great online games MGS4 could've competed with, asking for $$ for a small feature.

-Better clothing shop:
    the customization in this game is strong. The system in which you purchase gear & clothing is not (via PS3 browser). It could be better than RB6V2's...

-More maps:
    There are seriously about 5 maps. You can buy more (only 2-3 for $12), but **FIVE** maps?! Did I pay for a demo?

I really like the gameplay and customization system online. It's a shame there are so few players because of reasons listed above, glitchers, and more.

Honestly, Konami really fucked MGO, and from what I remember about Kojima's slight comments on the issues I'm sure it was the higher ups/marketing team that forced them into that wacky shit. The whole Konami ID shit was so dumb, and then the fact that you couldn't buy the addons on the PSN was even more stupid. I don't even know how their marketing team agreed to or even wanted that. I mean, putting it up on the PSN means all PSN users will see it and know it's been updated. It's like free advertisement. And the weird website to outfit your characters was just... off...

The gameplay had a few flaws too. I honestly think something's off with the headshot hitbox or something. There really shouldn't be that many headshots at all. That's practically all the fucking game was. Headshot headshot headshot. Annoying. Also, it didn't help that a lot of the best players' matches devolved into flipping the box on and off over and over while spinning in circles and headshoting people. That's just fucking weird... and wrong. That should have some affect on your aim.I didn't mind having 5 maps, but a few of them were just kind of bland. They were just square areas, really.

It had some cool things going for it. The survival mode thing they did on weekends was the most fun I had on it. Otherwise way too many people just played TDM (I have no fucking clue why at all... supposed to be a strategic game, so everyone plays the non-strategy type? dumb). The skill system was pretty unique and cool too.

Really, I'm saddened by MGO. I really keep wanting to go back and try it, but I know I'll just get headshotted every time I round a fucking corner by some guy way off on the other side of the map using just a pistol. It's a shame, because I was almost as excited for MGO as I was the full MGS4, and it had the potential of being the PS3's BIG online title (for a while MGS4 was THE game to own if you had a PS3, so I wanted it to be THE game you play online if you have a PS3). It could have been the PS3's Halo or something in that regard. Really too bad it didn't work out.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Really, I'm saddened by MGO. I really keep wanting to go back and try it, but I know I'll just get headshotted every time I round a fucking corner by some guy way off on the other side of the map using just a pistol. It's a shame, because I was almost as excited for MGO as I was the full MGS4, and it had the potential of being the PS3's BIG online title (for a while MGS4 was THE game to own if you had a PS3, so I wanted it to be THE game you play online if you have a PS3). It could have been the PS3's Halo or something in that regard. Really too bad it didn't work out.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. It got to the point where I just got way too frustrated playing it.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I thought CQC meant you hit O to melee attack (in MGS3) am I wrong?

Also killing Volgin was the greatest moment in my life. I hated that sadistic rapist asshole so much.

urahonky on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I rented this last night. People really weren't joking about cutscenes and stuff, the first act was thick with 'em. A little into the second act, I think, and I'm quite enjoying it, although I'm still really bad at sneaking. Maybe I should just shoot everyone.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait till Act 3.

You're going to HATE act 3 if you suck at sneaking and thought that there were a lot of cut scenes.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh gawd, shouldn't have image googled mgs4 beauty. I didn't know they were real people.

image75_2.jpg
    Lyndall Tarvis <3

EDIT - bad with names (Guilty.....Gear?!)
    Nocren wrote: »
    Wait till Act 3.

You're going to HATE act 3 if you suck at sneaking and thought that there were a lot of cut scenes.

Act 4 is fucking magical and makes the whole game worth it.

Cantido on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh gawd, shouldn't have image googled mgs4 beauty. I didn't know they were real people. Lyndall Taylor <3
    Wait till Act 3.

Trudat. One of the greatest moments in gaming, '08 or otherwise.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh gawd, shouldn't have image googled mgs4 beauty. I didn't know they were real people. Lyndall Taylor <3
    Wait till Act 3.

Yes it does. So stick with it. Plus the ending of Act 3 is actually a lot of fun before the boss fight.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wait till Act 3.

Yes it does. So stick with it. Plus the ending of Act 3 is actually a lot of fun before the boss fight.

Will do. I just now got onto a helicopter with some folks after an awesome cutscene.

edit: oh my god now I'm going for a ride with an SMG this is seriously fucking amazing, this is like the coolest thing I have played in a game in a long time

DOUBLE EDIT JESUS CHRIST IT JUST FLIPPED RIGHT OVER ME OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

now the game is over.. that was fun

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Just finished MGS3... And holy shit that was incredible. Seriously I feel like an idiot waiting till NOW to finally beat it. But Jesus damn... That was so good. Would play again.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This summer I think I'm going to try a MGS3->Portable OPS->MGS1->MGS2->MGS4 run.

I say that every summer though...

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just finished MGS3... And holy shit that was incredible. Seriously I feel like an idiot waiting till NOW to finally beat it. But Jesus damn... That was so good. Would play again.

Yeah I felt the same way when I finally got around to beating it last year.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lately I've been playing Persona 4 (on the last month, I think), and in P4 there's a pretty important character who's basically the most endearing, adorable little girl there ever was. She cooks eggs.

As a result, while playing this RPG I'm constantly thinking "man, I could get into some MGS4." Once I'm done with P4 I'm gonna' have to have a story run of MGS4, watching every single goddamn cutscene in the game.

Eat the eggs, Snake! Eat 'em!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Is that the correct timeline for the game Folken? If so I need to pick up Portable OPS.

Damn... That was so good lol. I can't wait to start on 4 now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Is that the correct timeline for the game Folken? If so I need to pick up Portable OPS.

Damn... That was so good lol. I can't wait to start on 4 now.

Sure is...

Actually.. its MGS3 -> Portable OPS->MG1->MG2->MGS1->MGS2->MGS4

I think I should do that instead :P

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Haha now that would be an endurance run.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Endurance would be a no-kill/no-alert run on every game.
    fuck that.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    I had 220 kills at the end of my MGS3 run. I'd put them to sleep then cut their throat. Because I'm a dick like that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I had 220 kills at the end of my MGS3 run. I'd put them to sleep then cut their throat. Because I'm a dick like that.

Well then The Sorrow must have been extra fun for you.

Cantido on
  • Options
    TasteicleTasteicle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man the sorrow took me forever to walk through, I got bored one night and set off an alarm and killed constantly respawning guards. CQC was so overpowered.

Tasteicle on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Sorrow took me like, 5 tries. Seriously, I did not get it. I had to use a walkthrough to figure out what you had to do at the end.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, i'm sorry to bring this up again, but I've been out of the loop for a little while.

Did they ever explain what this meant?

nextmg1.jpg

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's an iPhone game.

Also, this thread prompted me to go through MGS4 again during Spring Break.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man what.

Is that it?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Man what.