As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saturday Morning Watchmen (Spoilers)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm still trying to figure out what problem people have with the sex scene. I thought the music fit great and, while I could conceivably see them chopping it a little bit if they needed to, thought the length was appropriate.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    the flamethrower bit is in the book

Yeah, but on screen after the overtly long and needlessly graphic and awkward sex scene with that song to it the flamethrower was ridiculous.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When they showed her butt I said "Total white girl booty" louder than I intended.

And then pinched my gfs badonkadonk.

She made a face like don't do that.

And I made a face like :D

Graves on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    forty two to say that there is no plot in the movie is pretty goddamned dumb

I know it has a plot. But the plot gets lost on screen because we had to get everyone's backstory in there. I get that, but see - sometime what works in print does not work on the screen.

Call it the Tom Bombadil principle.

first 30 minutes - sets the plot. Then its 2:20 of backstory and then it all gets resolved in the final two minutes.

It was paced terribly.

if you cut out all the backstory you have like a 20 minute movie and like a 15 page comic book.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    trentsteel wrote: »
    No one in my theatre laughed during the Nixon scenes. They weren't great but I tought Kissinger was really good.

I realized watching this just how impossible it would have been to fit all that story into it without losing the audience. The way they condensed it was very well done.

a girl in front of me audibly gasped during the profile shot of Nixon

it was one of the purest expressions of shock I've ever heard, like a kid who's afraid of heights just before the plunge on Splash Mountain

that's how big Nixon's nose was

Scudo on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nixon's nose was actually played by Andy Serkis.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I had no qualms with the sex scene.

Graves on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yeah, but on screen after the overtly long and needlessly graphic and awkward sex scene with that song to it the flamethrower was ridiculous.

they should have kept the billie holiday song

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    forty two to say that there is no plot in the movie is pretty goddamned dumb

I know it has a plot. But the plot gets lost on screen because we had to get everyone's backstory in there. I get that, but see - sometime what works in print does not work on the screen.

Call it the Tom Bombadil principle.

first 30 minutes - sets the plot. Then its 2:20 of backstory and then it all gets resolved in the final two minutes.

It was paced terribly.

if you cut out all the backstory you have like a 20 minute movie and like a 15 page comic book.

You don't cut ALL the backstory. Hell, but the movie could have been paced a whole lot better. A whole lot better.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    watching this, i realized how much of my enjoyment of the book is tied up in basically everything but the main plot

satansfingers on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    also I forgot to mention the most amazing part of the movie experience for me. Before the movie started they had this girl who worked there stand at the front of the theater and do Watchmen trivia for prizes. They called up 5 people to do some trivia and luckily I was already heading toward the front because they had one of those candy carts in there and Iw as going to get me some Reese Bites. I was one of the first two at the front and my question was 'How did the comedian get the scar on his face', I answered correctly and won a free movie pass and showed off my skills infront of a buncha neckbeards.

Franko on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    also the sex scene wasnt that long it was like 30 seconds

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

they should have kept the billie holiday song

That's from the previous scene.

I like that they showed Laurie putting the coffee cups back into the cabinet.

Graves on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

the thing is in the book it was a classy metaphor

it was kind of a cutaway like "ya look you know what's happenin' here"

in the movie there is no such metaphor because for some reason apparently we are shown all of it

so it just becomes "ORGASMS M I RITE?"

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Graves wrote: »
    When they showed her butt I said "Total white girl booty" louder than I intended.

And then pinched my gfs badonkadonk.

She made a face like don't do that.

And I made a face like :D

and the guy behind you made a face like
    JIZZINMYPANTS.jpg

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    also the sex scene wasnt that long it was like 30 seconds

It felt a lot longer. It was awkward and needlessly graphic.

Just like bad sex it felt longer than it was, it was horribly awkward and ended with people feeling dirty and shameful.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

the thing is in the book it was a classy metaphor

it was kind of a cutaway like "ya look you know what's happenin' here"

in the movie there is no such metaphor because for some reason apparently we are shown all of it

so it just becomes "ORGASMS M I RITE?"

Classy metaphor my ass.

They didn't pussyfoot around sex in the book.

Graves on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    One minor thing that bugged me in the movie was, since Laurie doesn't smoke, she just sort of mashes the flamethrower button for no reason. In the book it's because she mistook it for a lighter, but in the movie it's just like "ooh fire I bet that does somethin' neat."

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Franko wrote: »
    I liked when it was revealed in the movie that Rorschach and Niteowl were Cyclons
    There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief, there's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

I KNOW RIGHT CUZ BSG IS THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF WHEN I HEAR THAT SONG BECAUSE HOLY SHIT THE MUSIC OLOLZ

Seriously, it's fucking Hendrix in 'Nam, quit nerding out in the bad way

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    One minor thing that bugged me in the movie was, since Laurie doesn't smoke, she just sort of mashes the flamethrower button for no reason. In the book it's because she mistook it for a lighter, but in the movie it's just like "ooh fire I bet that does somethin' neat."

Yeah that pissed me off a bunch.

OOH LIGHTS

OH HEY MISSILES LOOKS DANGEROUS

OOH FIRE

Graves on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

maybe she thought it was the heater

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

i feel like this is kind of an overarching problem with the whole movie. stuff happens because that's how it is in the book, but without considering why it's that way in the book.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dislexic wrote: »
    I liked when it was revealed in the movie that Rorschach and Niteowl were Cyclons
    There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief, there's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

I KNOW RIGHT CUZ BSG IS THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF WHEN I HEAR THAT SONG BECAUSE HOLY SHIT THE MUSIC OLOLZ

I was just making a cute joke :(

Franko on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

shame they weren't in 'Nam

because then it wouldn't have come off as completely bizarre

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    JIZZINMYPANTS.jpg

41333902.jpg

Graves on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, you guys are weirdos.

The sex scene was great. It was at once both explicit and not. They showed you everything, but there was a whole lot more that they weren't showing you as well.

In a comic book, you don't have to be explicit, because the reader can stare at the panel as long as they like, and even come back to it later on, if they think they missed something. A movie doesn't have that luxury. Sometimes a movie has to spell things out.

Evander on
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

shame they weren't in 'Nam

because then it wouldn't have come off as completely bizarre

oh wait sorry, i'm mixing up my scenes, but still, that song fit perfectly with the antarctica scene, but it had NOTHING TO DO WITH BSG

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    needed more BJ's

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    In a comic book, you don't have to be explicit, because the reader can stare at the panel as long as they like, and even come back to it later on, if they think they missed something. A movie doesn't have that luxury. Sometimes a movie has to spell things out.

this couldn't really be more ridiculous

of course you don't have to be explicit in a movie

satansfingers on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Graves your sig is awesome.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want some damn blowjobs in this damn it

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I was just making a cute joke :(

I know, I was just nerd-punching over the internet, I forgive you.
    I thought the exact same thing

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

i feel like this is kind of an overarching problem with the whole movie. stuff happens because that's how it is in the book, but without considering why it's that way in the book.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The only other time I remember it happening is Bubastis.

And I guess the balloon ads.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

The sex scene was great. It was at once both explicit and not. They showed you everything, but there was a whole lot more that they weren't showing you as well.

not to mention the lyrics (as well as their timing) were hilarious.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

this couldn't really be more ridiculous

of course you don't have to be explicit in a movie

you're misreading me.

There is an intrinsic difference in the mediums we are talking about.

With a comic, you can open to any page at any time.

With a movie, especially in a theater, you are forced to sit through it sequentially, and as such you are able to afford a little bit less subtlety when it comes to key plot points. (Honestly, I'm thinking more about the end of the conversation on Mars, here, but I figure it's still relevant to any plot points)

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Graves wrote: »
    McCly wrote: »
    JIZZINMYPANTS.jpg

41333902.jpg

I step into the Intrinsic Field Chamber and I...JIZZ IN MY PANTS

Franko on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I did like the guys on the street looking up into the clouds and seeing them light up

Scudo on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I agree with FortyTwo's opinion on the pacing, it really hurt the film.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited March 2009

they could have showed you some, then done the flamethrower

or showed you all they did, and not done the flamethrower

but both just came off as a touch clumsy to me

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    that song is so fucking stupid and im sick of people around me liking it

the jizz my pants song

Kusuguttai on
This discussion has been closed.