As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saturday Morning Watchmen (Spoilers)

• Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I made this sig during one of the shitwaves of these threads.

Also I guess some people didn't like this movie.

It is an accurate adaption of the book.

Some things are changed to fit into a 3 hour span.

I think the only people that don't like it are people who hadn't read it and weren't expecting so much out of what looked like an action flick, and people who are concerned about things that changed that 'ruined the story' in some way.

Graves on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    In a comic book, you don't have to be explicit, because the reader can stare at the panel as long as they like, and even come back to it later on, if they think they missed something. A movie doesn't have that luxury. Sometimes a movie has to spell things out.

this couldn't really be more ridiculous

of course you don't have to be explicit in a movie

you're misreading me.

There is an intrinsic difference in the mediums we are talking about.

With a comic, you can open to any page at any time.

With a movie, especially in a theater, you are forced to sit through it sequentially, and as such you are able to afford a little bit less subtlety when it comes to key plot points. (Honestly, I'm thinking more about the end of the conversation on Mars, here, but I figure it's still relevant to any plot points)

I don't think the difference is as great as you are making out

if something is important in a graphic novel it still has to be noticed the first time through

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    that song is so fucking stupid and im sick of people around me liking it

the jizz my pants song

them's fighting words

:x

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In a comic book, you don't have to be explicit, because the reader can stare at the panel as long as they like, and even come back to it later on, if they think they missed something. A movie doesn't have that luxury. Sometimes a movie has to spell things out.

you're misreading me.

With a movie, especially in a theater, you are forced to sit through it sequentially, and as such you are able to afford a little bit less subtlety when it comes to key plot points.

EXACTLY.

That is my problem with this movie.

The director tries to make the book come to life, but he does this by cramming every scene with so much shit that the actors don't act. I didn't care about any of these people. They were meandering through so much backstory that the overall film gets lost.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It was hard for me to care about anyone except Dr. Manhattan

Robcham on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    McCly wrote: »

the jizz my pants song

them's fighting words

it's such a fucking unfunny and awful song

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    FortyTwo wrote: »

you're misreading me.

With a movie, especially in a theater, you are forced to sit through it sequentially, and as such you are able to afford a little bit less subtlety when it comes to key plot points.

EXACTLY.

The director tries to make the book come to life, but he does this by cramming every scene with so much shit that the actors don't act. I didn't care about any of these people. They were meandering through so much backstory that the overall film gets lost.

But... the comic was also a whole lot of backstory.

Jon has his own issue of backstory, Rorschach's past is drawn out much longer in his sessions with Malcolm, Laurie's life is laid out, as well as her relation with the Comedian.

That's where a lot of the story is.

The whole of the main plot isn't significant without any past.

It's all "just like the old times" and "things used to be better" and "there were terrible things that happened back then"

Graves on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Robcham wrote: »

He doesn't care about you.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

the jizz my pants song

them's fighting words

It is pretty funny.

It's about ejaculating on yourself.

How is that not funny?

Graves on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Graves wrote: »
    I think the only people that don't like it are people who hadn't read it and weren't expecting so much out of what looked like an action flick, and people who are concerned about things that changed that 'ruined the story' in some way.

i always love it when people pretend that a movie is completely safe from any criticisms because only idiots/nerds/etc would take issue with it

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Robcham wrote: »

I seriously loved Dreiburg actually, and I would argue that Laurie was quite a bit better than she was in the book

this is an unpopular opinion it seems but I also really liked Veidt, it's a shame he just wasn't given enough room to shine

he never got any of his huge speeches, which sounds like a good thing but it's really a big part of his personality for me

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

you're misreading me.

EXACTLY.

I disagree with you entirely.

I feel like you were looking for the movie to be perfect. No movie is. The Watchmen is the best interpretation of the comic that I can imagine them getting away with doing without turning it in to some kind of six hour thing.

Evander on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

the jizz my pants song

them's fighting words

It is pretty funny.

How is that not funny?

I explained humour to Kusu and then I

jizzed in my pants

YaYa on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I had not read the novel, but I really wanted to like the film. While I like a lot of it, the length and pacing were seriously flawed. 90% of buildup and backstory does not really work in movie form, at least it didn't here. There's more to people walking out of this film then them just not 'getting' it

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

the jizz my pants song

them's fighting words

would you go so far as to say that it's wack?

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hey kusu good job being bad at things

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

i always love it when people pretend that a movie is completely safe from any criticisms because only idiots/nerds/etc would take issue with it

I had my own criticisms for it.

But it's really just a faithful movie adaption of the comic.

What did you not like about the movie?

Graves on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Exactly what Evander said.

There is NO FUCKING WAY IN FUCKING HELL this movie could have ever been what some of you want it to be.

Either he had to abbreviate shit or he had to lose the audience completely and make a 6 hour movie. Everyone I saw it with loved Rorschach and Dan very much and 'cared about the characters'.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Watchmen 'plot' is just a rehased Outer Limits episode anyway

Franko on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

the jizz my pants song

them's fighting words

It is pretty funny.

How is that not funny?

i guess i'm not immature enough to find that funny

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

you're misreading me.

EXACTLY.

But... the comic was also a whole lot of backstory.

Jon has his own issue of backstory, Rorschach's past is drawn out much longer in his sessions with Malcolm, Laurie's life is laid out, as well as her relation with the Comedian.

That's where a lot of the story is.

The whole of the main plot isn't significant without any past.

It's all "just like the old times" and "things used to be better" and "there were terrible things that happened back then"

The comic was engineered in that manner on purpose. The entire story of The Watchmen is, after all, one big joke.

The set up is that something bad is going to happen. Then you are distracted with tales of how everything got to be this way, occasionally interspersed with little scenes showing things getting worse, but not necessarily the right things. Finally, you arrive at the end, only to discover that
    you're 35 minutes late, and the disaster is the opposite of what you were being set up to expect the entire time
    WHAT A TWIST!

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Projeck wrote: »

i can understand why people your age think its funny

it's when people 20+ think it's hilarious and the funniest thing they've ever heard that i start getting angry

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Exactly what Evander said.

There is NO FUCKING WAY IN FUCKING HELL this movie could have ever been what some of you want it to be.

Either he had to abbreviate shit or he had to lose the audience completely and make a 6 hour movie. Everyone I saw it with loved Rorschach and Dan very much and 'cared about the characters'.

I cared about Rorschach the most. Since I hadn't read the graphic novel I had no idea what was going to happen to him.
    :cry:

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

the jizz my pants song

them's fighting words

It is pretty funny.

How is that not funny?

i guess i'm not immature enough to find that funny

HURR, HURR

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My only problem with this movie (and hopefully it's in the extended cut) was that it didn't show enough of the peril of regular people under the threat of nuclear war. Took a bit out of the ending I thought.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited March 2009

I had not read the novel, but I really wanted to like the film. While I like a lot of it, the length and pacing were seriously flawed. 90% of buildup and backstory does not really work in movie form, at least it didn't here. There's more to people walking out of this film then them just not 'getting' it

I found the pacing to be very steady.

I expected it to move a lot faster for all it had to cover, but it seemed to just move at a constant speed.

A concern that I had when I saw it last night was that my friend would get bored because he wouldn't know where the story was going.

It does kind of just go without any indication where.

Graves on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sure I felt like some things were missing but this is what the director's cut is for. It certainly didn't ruin the movie for me. But you're right, some people weren't going to be like a Watchmen movie even if Moore came out of his cave and wrote the screenplay himself.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

What were you expecting the movie to be?

I wonder if some people are disappointed because they expected more of an action movie, and less of a suspense/mystery.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

it's when people 20+ think it's hilarious and the funniest thing they've ever heard that i start getting angry

dammit kusu and you wonder why people dislike you

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My only problem with this movie (and hopefully it's in the extended cut) was that it didn't show enough of the peril of regular people under the threat of nuclear war. Took a bit out of the ending I thought.

comic-book-kid and newspaper-guy were both in tons of production stills

so with the black freighter added in I think they'll balance out that end better

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

This is what the Black Freighter is all about.

With the newsvendor and the black kid.

And kusu, I think you've had some bad experiences with jizz in your pants.

Graves on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

not many people dislike me
    it's a stupid fucking song

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I had my own criticisms for it.

But it's really just a faithful movie adaption of the comic.

What did you not like about the movie?

in a general sense, it was very flat. the characters weren't especially believable. there's too much going on in the story to really develop anything in a satisfying way. motivation for almost everyone was very lacking. the atmosphere also never really came together that well. i never really got the impression that the modern world of the movie was especially grimy or in need of saving.

too much attention paid to just taking the stuff from the book and putting it on the screen. i don't think it could've been that much better because there's just too much in the book, but i also don't give nearly enough of a shit about the book to be satisfied with the best adaptation possible when that's still not a very enjoyable movie.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

not many people dislike me
    it's a stupid fucking song

:|

Projeck on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Go count how many people hate you and get back to us.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

What were you expecting the movie to be?

I wonder if some people are disappointed because they expected more of an action movie, and less of a suspense/mystery.

I don't know man, the people I was with thought the action scenes were wicked and they didn't complain about the amount of action at all. I'm sure that's not everyone. I even felt like it was more of an action movie than I was expecting.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited March 2009

nope. it's so awful. jesus christ people. explain to me why it's so funny. i don't get it

it's on the same level of carlos mencia and family guy humor
    i do not understand how people lap that shit up

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    THIS ISNT FUNNY IT IS SO IMMATURE I AM GOING TO BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT IT

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

nope. it's so awful. jesus christ people. explain to me why it's so funny. i don't get it

it's on the same level of carlos mencia and family guy humor
    i do not understand how people lap that shit up

it rhymes

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Go count how many people hate you and get back to us.

i dont give a shit who hates me because i dont like a stupid snl song

Kusuguttai on
This discussion has been closed.