As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tomb Raider: Underworld - Stonking Great Tits!

12346»

• RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I seem to recall that there's something about that award, like you have to pay to be nominated or be a member of some elusive club or something. And really, if Fallout 3 can get nominated for it's writing...

Rook on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know what, I really enjoyed this game a lot. I didn't read really any of the reviews, but I loved legends so I asked for this for christmas and got it.

The game play itself still felt great, and it was basically what I was expecting, legends 2, with a new story and all that.

But I have to admit I really did miss not being able to explore the mansion afterwards like I could in legends. That was one of my favorite parts of legends; after I finished the game, I kept playing to unlock stuff and to try and complete the mansion. After underworld I was done. That left me disappointed.

Dissociater on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble", hmm.

I've never heard of that before, but it's a Kentucky Fried Movie reference, so it must be good.

Also, I can't believe they threw Red Alert 3 in there. I mean, it's good in a deliberately campy sort of way, but to nominate it for a Writer's Guild award?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • green-eyesgreen-eyes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Since crystal dynamics took over, the tomb raider games have only really moved uphill; i LOVE the fluidity of lara's movement (in contrast to angel of darkness where she moved like a sack of bricks with arthritis) and zip and alistair were a pleasant surprise in legend and underworld, it's good to hear a bit more intereaction with characters OTHER than antagonists.

I am in agreement with Dissociater though, i would've liked to be able to explore the mansion :( I've always seen that as one of my favourite bits of the tomb raider games.

I do, however, have a soft spot for angel of darkness and it's dark gothic atmosphere :) Anyone else love the PLOT to that game? SO COOL AND CREEPY!!!

green-eyes on
    car.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    After returning to Legends and Anniversary I decided to pick this up on Steam. Looking forward to it, once it finishes downloading.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm finally getting my copy from Goozex this week, so I'll be diving in and finally finishing the trifeca of this, Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2009
    So I've put about an hour and change into the game—I just did the puzzle with Kali and reflecting the light—and I'm really liking it so far. I remember Underworld fading really quickly from the spotlight; I think the game suffered tremendously by being crammed into the holiday rush. If it had been delayed to January or February, I think it might have done a fair bit better, especially since it wouldn't have also bumped up against Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia. (Not that any of them sold outstandingly, anyway.)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    So I've put about an hour and change into the game—I just did the puzzle with Kali and reflecting the light—and I'm really liking it so far. I remember Underworld fading really quickly from the spotlight; I think the game suffered tremendously by being crammed into the holiday rush. If it had been delayed to January or February, I think it might have done a fair bit better, especially since it wouldn't have also bumped up against Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia. (Not that any of them sold outstandingly, anyway.)

I think lack of anything to really do once you finished the game hurt it. One of my favorite things to do with Legends was run around the compound, trying to find secrets and stuff after I finished the game. You don't get any of that this time around. So while the standalone game is great, it just suffers by comparison.

Dissociater on
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    According to this: http://www.vg247.com/2009/02/28/tomb-raider-underworld-sales-are-picking-up/comment-page-1/, it's doing about the same, maybe a little bit better, than Legend (which sold 4.5 million).

That's pretty good for a mediocre game (based on reviews 5-7 points lower than Legend) released in a crowded fall. It didn't generate extended discussion because, like the poster above said, once you beat it, it's done. There's DLC, but the impression I got was it wasn't really worth the money, so not many people played it.

Dagrabbit on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    4.5 mil?! Wow, the Tomb Raider name is really worth something, huh?

Muddy Water on
    edited March 2009

I think lack of anything to really do once you finished the game hurt it. One of my favorite things to do with Legends was run around the compound, trying to find secrets and stuff after I finished the game. You don't get any of that this time around. So while the standalone game is great, it just suffers by comparison.

I'm quickly finding that looking for the goofy collectables is a little tiring. Though the image of adventurer/historian Lara Croft punting all of these priceless jars and containers just to look for trinkets is kind of funny. Are there speed runs? I did a good number of those in Legend and they were really challenging.

No mansion is a bit of a disappointment (though I guess I can understand why!). I loved that in both Legends and Anniversary.

Lunker on
    edited March 2009

I'm quickly finding that looking for the goofy collectables is a little tiring. Though the image of adventurer/historian Lara Croft punting all of these priceless jars and containers just to look for trinkets is kind of funny. Are there speed runs? I did a good number of those in Legend and they were really challenging.

No mansion is a bit of a disappointment (though I guess I can understand why!). I loved that in both Legends and Anniversary.

With respect to the mansion (and it's not much of a spoiler to say the mansion got blown up, since that's how the game starts), I can also understand why it's gone. But I originally guessed that blowing it up at the beginning was just a way for them to make a whole new one for you to explore, so it wasn't the same thing as before.

Dissociater on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I know what you mean about the collectibles. It's really annoying later in the game when you have the motorcycle to have to stop every 20 feet so you can pick up an artifact. Makes me wonder why they bothered with the Motorcycle in the first place.

Also, I was a bit disappointed that the one unique Relic in every level was the same generic sphere. I liked the fact that the Relics in Anniversary and Legends had a nice little blurb about the relic that was related to the location you found it in.

Zaylenz on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The motorcycle was the best thing about the game! And yeah, I totally stopped collecting the artifacts after a few levels. I'm not much of a completionist though, so that's not surprising.

I got the urge to play this again the other day but i think i'd rather something new, but along the same lines of gameplay. What would be a good game to try? I haven't really played any of the prince of persia games (shame on me) so would one of those be a good start? Which one is the greatest?

Lly on
    edited March 2009
    Lly wrote: »
    The motorcycle was the best thing about the game! And yeah, I totally stopped collecting the artifacts after a few levels. I'm not much of a completionist though, so that's not surprising.

I got the urge to play this again the other day but i think i'd rather something new, but along the same lines of gameplay. What would be a good game to try? I haven't really played any of the prince of persia games (shame on me) so would one of those be a good start? Which one is the greatest?

If you haven't already, definitely check out the two most recent Tomb Raider games (Legend and Anniversary). Both are really well done; I liked Legend a lot and played the crap out of it.

For Prince of Persias, I really liked the newest one but it's a bit polarizing; aesthetically beautiful, but the timing window for actual platforming is pretty wide and it doesn't have as much of the puzzley aspect of looking at a room and thinking "How am I going to get from here to there?" But the last-gen Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is still amazing, though I'm not sure if it's back-compatible on the 360 if that's what you have. Totally, totally recommended. PoP: The Two Thrones is also good but I still prefer Sands of Time; Warrior Within was generally regarded as a poor/mediocre title but I don't know all that many people that actually played it.

My other favorite platformer recently has been Mirror's Edge.

Lunker on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cheers Lunker. I've only got a pc (and a wii ... haha) but that gives me a good list to be getting on with :) Have to admit i'm more tempted by the PoP series as it will be all new to me.

Lly on
    edited March 2009
    Lly, let me know how your discoveries work out! I still have my GameCube copies of PoP: Sands of Time and Two Thrones, and they can probably be found for really cheap. I've heard the PC ports were a bit wonky and controlled terribly with KB+M.

Anyway, so I'm looking into the DLC since I'm all jazzed about Underworld now, and has anyone talked about the second DLC pack, Lara's Shadow? It looks like it's really focused on melee combat, since you're playing an alternate character:
    Lara's doppleganger, though I don't know how much of a spoiler that really is.

Anyway, there are Combat and Traversal videos, and it looks really, really Prince of Persia-y mixed with almost a brawler in combat. I totally wasn't expecting something like this, but it looks noticeably different from how the main game plays. This is more of what I want from DLC—things that expand the game in different directions.

Lunker on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    According to this: http://www.vg247.com/2009/02/28/tomb-raider-underworld-sales-are-picking-up/comment-page-1/, it's doing about the same, maybe a little bit better, than Legend (which sold 4.5 million).

That's pretty good for a mediocre game (based on reviews 5-7 points lower than Legend) released in a crowded fall. It didn't generate extended discussion because, like the poster above said, once you beat it, it's done. There's DLC, but the impression I got was it wasn't really worth the money, so not many people played it.

well smart move to fire all those crytal dynamic developers then ;)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lly, let me know how your discoveries work out! I still have my GameCube copies of PoP: Sands of Time and Two Thrones, and they can probably be found for really cheap. I've heard the PC ports were a bit wonky and controlled terribly with KB+M.

I only played sands of time, but I recall it being rather excellent with Kb+M
    Anyway, so I'm looking into the DLC since I'm all jazzed about Underworld now, and has anyone talked about the second DLC pack, Lara's Shadow? It looks like it's really focused on melee combat, since you're playing an alternate character:

Anyway, there are Combat and Traversal videos, and it looks really, really Prince of Persia-y mixed with almost a brawler in combat. I totally wasn't expecting something like this, but it looks noticeably different from how the main game plays. This is more of what I want from DLC—things that expand the game in different directions.

I don't think it's a spoiler at all, but I'm sorta annoyed that all this content is 360 only. Although I'm not entirely sure I'd pay extra for it either.

Rook on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rook wrote: »

I only played sands of time, but I recall it being rather excellent with Kb+M

I don't think it's a spoiler at all, but I'm sorta annoyed that all this content is 360 only. Although I'm not entirely sure I'd pay extra for it either.

yeah, no way in hell i want to buy this stuff, but i feel DISCRIMINATED against!

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just picked this up on the cheap, started it up after beating Infamous (to break up my Good and Evil runs), and my only real complaint is the camera. The game looks great, plays great, combat's decent (not irritating, and short enough to overlook), intriguing story, but the fucking camera is constantly fighting me.

For instance, in the Mexico level:
    There's that puzzle where you have to fire your grapple across a gap, then move to the right to force your rope to push the block off the pillar and crashing through the ground. That was brilliant. Fucking fantastic.

Then, trying to climb down, I died so many times off that first ledge, because I couldn't fucking see the handholds below me on account of the fucking camera.

Overall, not bad so far. I liked Legends, so we'll see how this pans out. Oh, PS3, if it matters.

Houn on