As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team Fortress 2: Sandman becomes Nerfbat, Scouts become Emos

• Options
    c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fellhand wrote: »
    I like putting my ______ in the _____ box on Dustbowl. Last night someone said it was stupid of me to put it there, but it held the line for 14 kills.

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Penis; Flower.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Penis; Penis.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Snake : Orange
    the_orange.jpg

donhonk on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hee-haw, boom boom

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    c4tch wrote: »
    I like putting my ______ in the _____ box on Dustbowl. Last night someone said it was stupid of me to put it there, but it held the line for 14 kills.

cp_gravelpit0028.jpg

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    step one

cut a hole in a box

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Step 2: Put your dick in that box!

Spy sappin' mah penis!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    the box was a spy all along

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wren wrote: »

no zoidberg please don't

elevature on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cp_gravelpit0029.jpg

cp_gravelpit0030.jpg

John Zoidberg on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

no zoidberg please don't

Reverse psychology. I love your style.

EDIT: BAHAHAHA

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Team work!
    pl_goldrush0008.jpg

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    <Fuckawesome pictures>

Holy shit I just shot Sobe out of my nose.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    glorious

Fuga on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zoidberg you are a wonderful person, you know that?

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Step 3

Make him open the box

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Building a base that does nothing until it's destroyed is the sign of a bad engie. Either build it somewhere further up where people are actually fighting, or leave it and shoot people yourself - sapping takes forever, it's easier for a spy to kill a nest while the engie is standing there wrenching his gun than when he's out patrolling the area.

That's a bit of a blanket statement. There situations where your teleporter serves far more purpose than your SG could potentially. This occurs on maps like Dustbowl and Goldrush all the time.
    Easy example is the 2nd section of Dustbowl. As usual, we've taken the first point and there's 10 minutes left. It's a long walk to the 2nd point, so I build my base in the right tunnel (as usual). Now people are teleporting in at an alarming rate, saving our team ridiculous amounts of travel time.

I set up my sentry-gun/dispenser in the tunnel too, to keep away pesky spies/scouts/soldiers/anyone else who wanders in. Now, the sentry gun isn't getting some incredible number of kills, but its presence is necessary there, or the first Red to wander by would destroy my teleporter and slow us down significantly.

If Red sucks, my base stays up for a long time and my base helps our team out immensely. More likely, after 2-3 min I'll see a pyro/medic uber turn down the tunnel and wreck me. Less likely, but more annoying, is having a good spy on Red who continuously destroys the teleporter entrance.

The point is, that despite my SG not getting many kills, it serves a lot of purposes. They have to waste their uber destroying it, rather than destroying 3 of our guys. It stops anyone but an uber from approaching the tunnel, despite not getting kills on the people. It allows us to hold the tunnel, which is very useful. Lastly, it provides safe cover for my teleporter, which is incredibly useful.

Lately, I'll have to play more engi to be sure, but it seems like a level 3 tele works so fast that you don't even need a sentry to defend it if you put it slightly out of the way. The teammates that come out of it are enough to hold the line enough for you to try constructing offensives guns.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    turtleant wrote: »
    Zoidberg you are a wonderful person, you know that?

Zoidberg is my favourite.

elevature on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys I have pieces of hashbrown and hot cocoa in my nose.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I gotta respect Zoidberg for continuing to post even after he'd gained popularity. I have this bad tendency to freeze up and run away anytime I do something clever/funny enough for people to start to know my name... the pressure gets to me. I had a blog at one point, but then I made some smart blog posts that got 25+ replies per post and then I couldn't post after that because I felt there was so much pressure to do as well as I had done previously. I'm actually in that position on the official TF2 forums right now. I've only made a total of 10 posts, but people know my name now, and now I want to stop posting because the bar of expectation is too high.

Anyway, long tangential rant, summary is: good job Zoidberg for making lots of funnies.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This thread is just a wonderful source for my muse. Individual experiences ( see Edcrab's dream ) or requests ( tyrannus' request for a Sniper / Soldier pic ) all allow me to stretch my gmod muscles.

Not to mention the huge amount of changes to TF2 itself ( Sandman balls, Duck timers ) that lend themselves to pictures / sequences.

In other words, keep doing what you guys do best and I will do my best to put them into picture form.

John Zoidberg on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    NO PRESSURE ZOIDBERG BUT IF YOU STOP BEING FUNNY I SWEAR TO GOD

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I find it amusing that you can stun the invulnerable NPCs in the developer commentary bits, even though you can't kill them.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I want Natascha to shoot baseballs.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey You wrote: »
    bombardier wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Man bombs how did that even happen

Did they just round the corner, freeze upon witnessing your majesty, and died horribly?

...I'm assuming you timed it well at round start, right?

It was on hydro right at the end of a round, stalemate. Like 4 dudes were all stopped on the stairs and I just blocked them all from running up and hit the taunt!

hydroken.jpg

Yay, im the demo on that rock! Im so popular now.

Yeah im in that Screen shot!

I'm soooooo coool!

EDIT: And those baseballs shot grenades?

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No just baseballs

Then it would actually slow people.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No just baseballs

Then it would actually slow people.

You know, with how hard Valve has failed in getting Natascha to consistently work, I'd rather they not incorporate any other class's weapon code into it. Maybe it'll spread. Sandman will start granting enemy players 2-3 seconds of uber rather than stunning them...

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Shut up.

I want that thing to be useful and not shitty.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What I want is for the sandman to go away

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I save the sandman ball just to fuck up ubers in front of sentries.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cp_gravelpit0031.jpg
    cp_gravelpit0032.jpg

cp_gravelpit0033.jpg

cp_gravelpit0034.jpg

cp_gravelpit0035.jpg

cp_gravelpit0037.jpg

cp_gravelpit0038.jpg

cp_gravelpit0039.jpg

cp_gravelpit0040.jpg

cp_gravelpit0041.jpg

cp_gravelpit0031.jpg

cp_gravelpit0042.jpg

John Zoidberg on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    IT'S THE HISTORY ERASER BUTTON YOU FOOL!

Sheep on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zoidberg, you need to organize your photbucket better, so that I can see all of these in their right orders.

So great.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You little men can't stop Heavy with balls.

A good Engineer will know when and where to setup bases. On Badwater there's a small house near the last checkpoint with a max metal crate, which is basically a giant "Build Base HERE" sign, yet I have never seen anyone utilize that spot. So I went ahead and built a base there, and lo and behold, we soon overwhelmed them.

Gravel Pit is a good example of how defending can go sour. Engineers turtle on B and that's it. I always try to setup a teleport somewhere on A, but I never have enough time to get a sentry up. You could turtle in the tunnel between A and B, I wonder how that would go. Set up some teleports to quickly move your team to both points, fool the enemy into thinking that the tunnel is a tele point. You could get creative real easy.

Egypt is a wonder. I can never understand why people refuse to try get a base up and running near the last cap during the first stage. There's a tunnel to the left that you can go through and reach a small square slightly behind the cap, and get a tele running there. You can easily pick out sentries from between the columns as snipers, soldiers and demos have a clear view of them just out of their range. Finish up with an uber from the main entrance and voila.

The only reason why I don't play the Engineer more is because you need coordination to execute some of the crazier ideas.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Zoidberg, you need to organize your photbucket better, so that I can see all of these in their right orders.

Totally true. I think I will start putting my sequences into albums before I post them. Will wait til this thread dies to organise all my old ones.

John Zoidberg on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So a friend of mine set up his own server for some casual fun with some of my WoW guildies, but he has no idea what he's doing. Since I've never hosted or admined a server I promised I would try to find help, but the online documentation is surprisingly unhelpful (plus I can't really test anything out on my own).

Arena maps will load but will never start -- we just get stuck at 0:00 Waiting for Players -- any idea what setting he needs to change? Generally we have 8-10 players and he's tried fiddling with the Max/Min players per team but nothing seems to have worked.

Maps like Dustbowl end after X point caps. It used to be 3 by default so the map would end after 2-1 was taken by the first offense team. He's got a temporary fix by upping this number to 6, but it still causes some maps to end prematurely and, since he changed a global setting, causes others to take an eternity to finish. Any idea how the PA servers avoided this conundrum? Is it just a time limit?

Thanks!

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Strifer wrote: »
    A good Engineer will know when and where to setup bases. On Badwater there's a small house near the last checkpoint with a max metal crate, which is basically a giant "Build Base HERE" sign, yet I have never seen anyone utilize that spot. So I went ahead and built a base there, and lo and behold, we soon overwhelmed them.

Which part are you talking about? There are quite a few decent spots to take as an engy on Badwater.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The sniper nest? I mean you could build a base there i guess but all it would do is protect the teleporter and the snipers. I guess it could cut off a flanking route but it's easy to just walk by the sentry through the back way. The bulk of the offense is always going to be by the track, so I'm not sure how building an entire base in that nest would be useful. A teleporter, maybe, but that would probably get sapped pretty quickly since spies always go up there to get the 200 metal/stab snipers.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Which part are you talking about? There are quite a few decent spots to take as an engy on Badwater.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about that area to the upper right from defense's perspective, where you can go up a ramp and there's a nook on the left and right, the left nook having the full ammo crate and I think a health capsule. It is a good spot for a teleporter at least.

Quaz and Wally on
This discussion has been closed.