As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa 2008: This thread is awesome and deserves more attention!

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
SECRET SANTA 2008: BUNNY HARDER
gnthead.jpg

GIFT POSTS

So you may be asking yourself, "ArcSyn, why did you create a new Secret Santa Thread? Captain K closed the old one while we wait for the gifts to start arrive from the selected bunnies." Well, you just answered your own question! The bunnies are on the move and the first of the gifts has begun to arrive!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, imagine my surprise when my wife texts me at work and says, "Did you order something from Amazon? It's ___ _______ _______ ______ and _____ ______ _____." (What, did you think I was going to spoil it this quickly?)

So, without further ado, pictures! (I tried to make a video, but it ended up super-cheesy and I doubt anyone wants to see it)
    Apologies ahead of time for the fuzzy cellphone pics..

Well, I wanted to recreate the unboxing, so here we go! (My wife had already unboxed everything)
    SecretSantaLow001.jpg
    Wild Package appears!

SecretSantaLow002.jpg
    An Amazon package? Hmm..

SecretSantaLow003.jpg
    Well, what am I waiting for, let's open this thing up!

SecretSantaLow004.jpg
    A packing slip! Let's see what it says.

SecretSantaLow005.jpg
    Wait, this lists the contents! Let's wait until I see what else is in here.
    Who am I kidding? Fuzzy "cell phone" pics? That's no way to post a gift!

Secret-Santa-High001.jpg
    Wild Package appears!

Secret-Santa-High002.jpg
    An Amazon package? Hmm..

Secret-Santa-High003.jpg
    Well, what am I waiting for, let's open this thing up!

Secret-Santa-High004.jpg
    A packing slip! Let's see what it says.

Secret-Santa-High005.jpg
    Wait, this lists the contents! Let's wait until I see what else is in here.

Secret-Santa-High006.jpg
    Penny Arcade Book 1?! Awesome! I love reading through the old comics!

Secret-Santa-High007.jpg
    Book 2! Even sweeter! Now I have every comic from 1998-2001 as well as tons of art and special comics.

Secret-Santa-High008.jpg
    D&D Dungeon Master Screen! My players didn't like being able to see everything I was doing, so I used a leather notepad cover for a bit and kept thinking I would get down to the store (a little over an hour away) to get one of these, but never did. This will be awesome when we start the next campaign!

Secret-Santa-Screen.jpg
    It looks REALLY slick when it's completely open.
    Secret-Santa-Screen-1.jpg

Secret-Santa-High015.jpg
    The incredible amount of knowledge held within. For DM's eyes only.

Speaking of the DM

Comic.jpg
    I got in the mood to do some photoshopping. :D

Secret-Santa-High010.jpg
    The Haul!

Secret-Santa-High016.jpg
    I don't have pets, but I do have kids!

Secret-Santa-High019.jpg
    Awesome stuff!

Oh yes, the packing slip contained the following:
    Hey ArcSyn, what is wrong with you? I spent an afternoon reading through your G&T posts, and was floored by your generosity.

Mildly confused by how I am generous on the internet, I read on:

What kind of guy spends that much time making avatars for people and cheering on others during the exchange? An utterly awesome one, that's who!

Oohhh, the avatars. Fun times! (If it's ok with the mods, I would love to post all of the santa-hatted avatars I still have archived)

I hope these suit you well, sir. I was working off suggestions you left 4 months ago, but I figured that if you didn't have 'em, a Screen for your games and some PA swag would hit the spot. Happy Easter!

Now you're saying to yourself, "Who could this box of concentrated awesome have come from? Who knows how to be an awesome Easter Bunny and spread the joy of the G&T Secret Santa?"

I present to you: FORAR!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Glad to see they got to you quickly!

Arcsyn was a Bunny for a poor soul last year, and at my prompting, tapped me to join in on tag-team'ing said giftless individual.

No, not that way.

A solid, stand up guy like that doesn't deserve to get coal for Christmas!

Cheers Arcsyn!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hooray for the bunnies! I remember finding those in a used book store one day. I had to buy them. It confused my family all the more because I'm not the biggest fan of comic books.

The D&D screen is cool as well. I'd have no use for it personally but I like the art style of it. It would look mighty bitchin if it were framed. Although buying a frame, I imagine, would be awkward.

liquidlogan on
  • Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hooray for the bunnies! I remember finding those in a used book store one day. I had to buy them. It confused my family all the more because I'm not the biggest fan of comic books.

The D&D screen is cool as well. I'd have no use for it personally but I like the art style of it. It would look mighty bitchin if it were framed. Although buying a frame, I imagine, would be awkward.

Grats on the bunnying! I wasn't tapped for the honor this year, but I got to do it last year, so it's all good. The 4E DM's screen is freakin' huge!

On a related note, how many Santees are still waiting for deliveries that Doc Holiday confirmed were on their way?

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
    edited February 2009
    Judge-Z wrote: »
    The 4E DM's screen is freakin' huge!

I wish I had the tools installed to stitch the images together properly, but yes, it is GIGANTIC. A friend of mine has the 2.5e screen (I think) and it's maybe 2-3 pages (8.5x11") put together on the long end.

This thing is like 9x13" and 4 of them put together on the short end. It's gotta be close to 5' long when full extended.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ha, the bunnies' gifts are starting to appear! Great news. :)

I came across a used copy of Attack of The Bacon Robots a while back at a Hastings, of all places. I hadn't read any of these early strips since they were new (yes, I'm old, shut up and deal with it :P ) and it was quite a trip down memory lane. Although some of the strips don't hold up for me at all, because I don't remember some of the games they reference. Still fun though.

Norfair on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, I wonder what kind of person would pick up a PA book and then sell it or trade it. I've got all five volumes so far, and they're all comic gold, especially when combined with the commentaries.

Although sometimes people why such laughter is coming from the bathroom...

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2009
    Now I need to pick up the rest of them... :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    It's gotta be close to 5' long when full extended.

I'm going to have to start adding to my collection of out-of-context quotes.

freakish light on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's gotta be close to 5' long when full extended.

I'm going to have to start adding to my collection of out-of-context quotes.

Yesss!!

urahonky on
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nice gifts, I use the DM screen myself and it saves lots of time looking things up plus allows you to cheat without being seen (although as a DM you dont cheat you adjust the rules :))

Bought myself those comics a while back too.

Tip:
    the short and sweet nature of the strips make them great toilet reading material.
    If your one of those people who read on the toilet
    Not saying I am by the way!
    but I am :)

Prime on
    edited February 2009
    Prime wrote: »
    Nice gifts, I use the DM screen myself and it saves lots of time looking things up plus allows you to cheat without being seen (although as a DM you dont cheat you adjust the rules :))

Bought myself those comics a while back too.

Tip:
    the short and sweet nature of the strips make them great toilet reading material.
    If your one of those people who read on the toilet
    Not saying I am by the way!
    but I am :)

Who doesn't?! :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thought I'd give this a bump! Has anyone else got their stuff yet?

(Ulterior motive: I want to see if my Bunny assignment got their stuff)

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
    edited March 2009
    Unfortunately, no.

liquidlogan on
    edited March 2009
    Not yet, in no particular rush though.

Prime on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wasn't sure I should post at all since I'm not an official Bunny-ee, but RoundBoy said I should so here goes:
    So... I received a box from a stranger on Saturday, much to my confusion. Because of a sudden case of paranoia, I thought that it might be some sort of repeat of the movie Seven and my grand plan was to let it sit unopened on the kitchen counter until someone asked me, "Hey, did you get that box?"

My boyfriend, however, thought I was being ridiculous and volunteered to open it. I made him do it far away and told him that if it was a severed body part I didn't want to know and he should just close it back up and throw it off of the balcony.

3326786366_4da5100e3b.jpg

Well, it wasn't a body part (thank goodness), maybe a ransom note?

3325950039_aec88dd581.jpg

I was completely knocked out of my previously bad mood:

3326786444_7968aac885.jpg

While I had considered buying one of these after seeing it in the Secret Santa thread, instead I had shoved my salt into a tupperware which led to the great "Mac and Cheese Salt Disaster of '08".

3326786422_bd669c2f1a.jpg

Radioactive or not, I'm really glad to have one of these now, as hopefully it will prevent future mishaps!

3325949965_c80c728db6.jpg

The other part was a great job of stalking, "The Colour Of Magic" series burned to DVD! I'd heard about this series and was miffed when I missed a chance to see it last September. Now I've actually got my paws on a real copy, my missed chance won't haunt me anymore! This is also really important to me because of Pratchett's illness and knowing that every crumb of his brilliance must be savored.

3326786378_d34dcdd31c.jpg

Thank you RoundBoy and everyone participating in this Secret Santa! I've had some really bad experiences in the past with volunteering work for strangers (the bf calls me an idiot for still doing it) and I've just been completely blown away by the kindness and positivity of the Penny Arcade forum community every step of the way in this Secret Santa--this just completely takes the cake. Thank you all for being such amazing and wonderful people...it's very humbling.

Hypatia on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh, man. This is getting me pumped for Secret Santa 09. STOP IT!

8-)

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hypatia wrote: »
    I wasn't sure I should post at all since I'm not an official Bunny-ee, but RoundBoy said I should so here goes:

Thank you RoundBoy and everyone participating in this Secret Santa! I've had some really bad experiences in the past with volunteering work for strangers (the bf calls me an idiot for still doing it) and I've just been completely blown away by the kindness and positivity of the Penny Arcade forum community every step of the way in this Secret Santa--this just completely takes the cake. Thank you all for being such amazing and wonderful people...it's very humbling.

Glad you liked everything! :Self High Five:

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I apparently got a package from out of the country. Sadly, it arrived at my home in Memphis. However, my mom is shipping it to me at college! So yay!

SniperGuy on
    edited March 2009
    I have been informed by my secret Bunnie Ninjas that my gift is progressing.

liquidlogan on
    edited March 2009
    Ive just been informed that a hand written labelled package has arrived at home, im not expecting anything so *wooo*
    It better not be free soap samples from down the road again...seriously you buy one thing for your missus and they think your a soapaholic! STOP SENDING ME SOAP! /unrelated rant

Prime on
    edited March 2009
    Sorry for the double post but the package just got dropped off at work for me.

I'll keep you all in suspense until I pick up my camera tonight, needless to say, Ziggymon you rock!

Prime on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sorry for the double post but the package just got dropped off at work for me.

I'll keep you all in suspense until I pick up my camera tonight, needless to say, Ziggymon you rock!

Thank God it turned up ok, took me ages to find but im glad you like it.

Ziggymon on
    edited March 2009
    Like it? Im currently the star of the office and cant stop smiling :D Seriously its a perfect gift, I have nothing like it (I have its opposite so together it'll look great). Pics to come.

Prime on
    edited March 2009
    Like it? Im currently the star of the office and cant stop smiling :D Seriously its a perfect gift, I have nothing like it (I have its opposite so together it'll look great). Pics to come.

.... he got you an inflatable hooker ?

Seriously, what is it?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RoundBoy wrote: »

Seriously, what is it?

No, it's the other half of one of those "Best Friend" necklaces that are two pieces of a broken heart.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited March 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

Seriously, what is it?

No, it's the other half of one of those "Best Friend" necklaces that are two pieces of a broken heart.

I dont want to spoil the surprise for you guys, sorry

Ziggymon on
    edited March 2009
    Well I am looking forward to pictures. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2009
    Well I am looking forward to pictures. :D

Agreed, make with the picturing!

Forar on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm really glad the Easter Bunnies are working out to keep the Christmas spirit going 2+ months later.
    You guys rock!

Icemopper on
    edited March 2009
    Forar:
    I just read the first PA book cover to cover in one sitting. I wanted to thank you, but I had things I was supposed to get done tonight! :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys I need one more bunny. Someone volunteer.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
    edited March 2009

I'm in if the bunny pool has dried up, but I suspect you'll have overwhelming support again, so I guess this will just come across as attention whoring. >.>

I swear it's not. I just <3 you guys.
    Forar:
    I just read the first PA book cover to cover in one sitting. I wanted to thank you, but I had things I was supposed to get done tonight! :D

Awesome! I've bought them all as soon as I could get my hands on them, and find them to be exemplary light reading material.

Forar on
    edited March 2009

ANOTHER bunny backed out?

CURSE YOU ECONOMY!

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

CURSE YOU ECONOMY!

Not exactly. One gift that was on its way never made it and is lost in post. It was traveling across the globe, so I can see how this could happen.

Either way I need someone that wouldn't mind shipping to Finland. Or Norway. Or something, I don't remember.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
    edited March 2009

CURSE YOU ECONOMY!

Not exactly. One gift that was on its way never made it and is lost in post. It was traveling across the globe, so I can see how this could happen.

Either way I need someone that wouldn't mind shipping to Finland. Or Norway. Or something, I don't remember.

The baby walrus! She lives!

walrus-718191.jpg

liquidlogan on
    edited March 2009

CURSE YOU ECONOMY!

I still have 1 or 2 ideas for gifts....

Ziggymon on
    edited March 2009

Where are these pics?!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FoF404FoF404 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Santa was late this year, but he came through! I got my gifts yesterday, and as soon as I determine where my kids hid my memory card I'll post pics.

Thanks Santa!!!

FoF404 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009

Where are these pics?!

Yeah about that :) Was called away to work that night emergency style, been in a hotel but will be back home tonight. Expect pictures around 8-10pm GMT :P

Prime on
This discussion has been closed.