As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vegetable recipes for people who don't like vegetables

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have a problem, my bf doesn't particularly like vegetables. I have allergies to a lot of raw vegetables and fruits so the veggies have to be cooked (carrots, celery, some nuts, peaches, plums, apricots, apples, cherries etc).

Does anyone have any suggestions/recipes for making vegetables (preferably the green/dark green kind) that would be good for getting someone whose idea of a balanced meal is a burger and fries to eat them?

And once again, they sadly do need to be cooked or bad things happen to me.

For help, here's a list of vegetables he's moderately okay with eating if he has to: green beans, asparagus, broccoli, green peas, corn, carrots, lettuce. Ideally I'm looking for something that would help him to branch out a bit or that will taste un-vegetabley enough for him to want to eat them regularly.

Hypatia on

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Veggie burgers?

I will put my thought-hat on. Ham and Lentil soup would probably be a good one. Utterly crammed full of carrots, leeks, onion and lentils but also flavoured with a bit of ham to give it that hammy taste that meat fans love so much.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Recipe books are the way to go here. I dislike vegetables pretty passionately. However, the missus got Weight Watchers recipe books, which are excellent at hiding vegetables in other dishes. Like a vegetarian lasagna that tastes like it may as well have been meat. Also things like baked lentil cakes, that taste a bit like chips, but again, loads of vegetables hidden inside.

Lewisham on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    How would he be with tomato-based past sauces? Such as a bolognese.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tell your BF to man up and eat his damned vegetables.

or

Be like seinfeld's wife and hide them in his brownies

(I think I'll grind up these green leafy things and cook them into brownies... wonder where she got that idea....)

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When I was younger I hated zucchini and squash. I discovered this is because my mom boiled the everliving crap out of both. Now, with a quick steam, I enjoy them immensely. Also, tossing a little garlic and onion powder on them, then frying them for a short time in olive oil is good.

For green beans, try sauteeing them in a little oil, then squeeze a bit of lemon on them.

Broccoli's the same way, just a quick steam instead of boiling them like crazy, then a bit of salt and lemon, or garlic on them. Or even sprinkle some cheddar cheese on them.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Green beans, carrots, corn, peas, potatoes, onions, chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper make a damn fine vegetable soup.

KalTorak on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's probably a good idea to find out why he doesn't like them. Personally I cant stand anything that's soft and mushy so I tend to prefer crunchy vegetables, rather than anything that needs boiled or steamed. So this makes stir-fry a good option, peppers, spring onions, pak-choi etc. Also, having them in sandwich wraps is great too.

Rook on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Try your hand at a minestrone soup with some meat mixed in. Usually chicken bodes well with it. My personal favorite is the progresso minestrone, and I'm not one that loves vegetables outright, but the flavor of it is a nice balance.

Boiling the shit out of vegetables is the worst way to cooking vegetables. A good stir fry, whilst not as healthy, will certainly taste better and be better received than a "boiled-to-shit" head of broccoli. Edit: I doubly agree with rook, I hate mushy vegetables too, I love crisp crunchies, and I see he like green beens and I'm willing to bet he likes it too.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Soft vegetables for the win!

You crunchies are heathens.

Lewisham on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Crunchy is really the best way to go. I've found that one of my favorite veggies has come to be Boc Choi. It's really good if you can find it. The way my family cooks it is just in a pan with a little oil, salt, and some Thai chili sauce. Good stuff! Goes as a good side with meat, and very healthy.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shepherd's Pie:

Pre-heat oven to about 375 degrees.

In a frying pan, brown 1 pound 80%-85% lean ground beef over low heat with a splash of red wine, salt, pepper, rosemary, cumin, garlic (flavored to taste), as well as approx 1/2 yellow/white onion and 1/2 lb mushrooms until meat is browned (obv), onions should be translucent and mushrooms should be brown and soft.

Remove from heat and transfer to a large caserole dish. Add flower a tablespoon at a time and stir gradually to mix with the grease from the meat and thicken it into a gravy. Spread evenly over the bottom of the caserole dish. On top of the meat/onion/mushroom mix, add your favorite vegetables--I like green beans, peas, corn and chopped carrots. Again, spread evenly to create a layer of vegetables.

Finally top with a thick layer of mashed potatoes (approx. 1 pound, a single large container of pre-made mashed potatoes will do--all you have to do is microwave and stir, though I tend to add extra garlic and dill as well). Spread evenly and cook in over for about 30 minutes (until the mashed potatoes are browned on top and thickened. Allow to cool a little bit, then cut into squares and serve.

You can mix in a ridiculous variety of vegetables and get a little of each of them into each serving--it's a great way to get someone to eat a vegetable that isn't lettuce. And since it's a hot dish, all the vegetables inside will be cooked (you may want to avoid using carrots since those take the longest to cook through).

added:
    (I think I'll grind up these green leafy things and cook them into brownies... wonder where she got that idea....)

Jesus, you must make the worst pot brownies ever. That's not how you're supposed to do it.

SammyF on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm making notes here and a grocery list from your posts so far, but I forgot to mention, he won't eat soup. I love soup but he has some kind of issue with hot liquids and won't eat anything mildly related (soup, stew, tea, hot cocoa, coffee, etc). I think he'd be fine with tomato based things, he just doesn't like them raw.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'll ask him at lunch what he doesn't like about vegetables.

Hypatia on
  • xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think this is at least the 3rd time I'm posting this recipe on these forums, but it's so good:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Bean-and-Sweet-Potato-Stew-with-Chilies-and-Polenta-Triangles-15577

I like leafy green veges sauteed with minced garlic and olive oil. My favorites are spinach, escarole, or broccoli rabe. You can toss with a little lemon, or spicy peppers, or white beans to make it more interesting. It's so much better cooked fresh than chopped frozen spinach.

Veges can go on pizza (broccoli, spinach, artichoke hearts are good, in addition to the typical peppers and onions) or in quiche, or a casserole. (These things all have cheese in common. This is not a coincidence.)

If he likes asparagus, now's the time to eat it. (It's so much cheaper and tastes better when it's in season.) I like it roasted with olive oil and a little kosher salt, but if he needs more persuading you can add hollandaise sauce.

Pasta primavera's good and easy to make. Last week I had bell pepper, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus and spinach, but you can use what you like. Tomatoes are good, hot peppers, peas (shelled or sugar snap peas), broccoli. You saute the veges in oil (add them according to how long they have to cook- for example peppers and onions go in first, spinach last). Add in cooked pasta. You should already have enough oil from cooking the veges, add a few tbsp cream (heavy cream, or marscapone cheese is really good here), salt and pepper, and parm cheese. You can add meat too if you want- shrimp, chicken, sausage, or ham/bacon/pancetta. Or you could use it as a vege-heavy pasta salad as a side for a burger.

People have mentioned soups, but don't just focus on vegetarian soups. Put meat in there. You can put some extra carrots, celery and onions in a pot of chicken soup, and when it's done cooking, ladle some of them into a blender with some broth and puree them, then mix it back in for a broth that is richer/tastier, more colorful, and smuggles in more vegetables.

edit- Humph. Will he eat soup lukewarm? I wonder, since the broth is already thick, if you mix in enough brown rice, it'll almost be like chili. That's a stretch though I guess.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LerageLerage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just cook them normally and cover them with a tomato-based sauce, curry, or gravy - you hardly taste the veg. Or mash them into the potatoes - worked for me as a kid! :P

Lerage on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow. He won't eat soup either? Thank God this is the 21st Century because he wouldn't have made it through puberty in the 18th century.

SammyF on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow. He's even more picky than I am about veggies.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Perhaps try ratatouille? No not that thing the CGI rat made in the movie of the same name. What he made was not a traditional ratatouille (which they actually mentioned so I thought that was cool), but anyway, yeah, I love the stuff. Its got Zuchini and Eggplant which might not be his favorites, but Id say give it a shot because it is so awesome.

Recipe!
    Ratatouille
    Serves 4
    Amount Measure Ingredient
    1 cup 8 ounces, 240 ml Olive oil
    1 cup 4 ounces, 112 g Onions, ½ inch (.6 cm) dice
    1 cup 4 ounces, 112 g Green Bell peppers, ½ inch (.6 cm) dice
    1 cup 4 ounces, 112 g Zucchini, ½ inch (.6 cm) dice
    2 cups 8 ounces, 224 g Eggplant, ½ inch (.6 cm) dice
    2 cups 12 ounces, 336 g Tomatoes, seeded, ½ inch dice
    (.6 cm) dice
    2 each Garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons Thyme, fresh
    2 each Bay leaves

1. Saute (high heat, some oil, toss/stir frequently) each vegetable (except the tomato) until done (they should be tender but not mush, usually like 3 or 4 minutes). Then put them in a bowl to the side.
    2. When all the vegetables are cooked, put them back in the pan, add the tomatoes, and the seasonings and let it cook for 20-30 minutes. If it starts to look dry you might want to add some water or chicken stock, but the tomatoes and other veg should give you enough moisture.
    3. Remove the bay leaves and then serve it hot for awesome, delicious times.

Lardalish on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's not a whole recipe by itself but I love to cook slices of zucchini in a bit of olive oil and a little garlic. The zucchini absorbs all the garlic taste and it's delicious.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rhubarb pie.

Duffel on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    Shepherd's Pie:

added:

Jesus, you must make the worst pot brownies ever. That's not how you're supposed to do it.

haha of course I don't. I suspend my lipids in boiling water and add the foliage.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • ElrosstElrosst Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Chicken and Dumplings
    Ingredients:
    · 2-3 Chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
    · 1 Can Cream of mushroom soup
    · 1 Can Cream of chicken soup
    · 1 Can Cream of celery soup
    · 1 Soup can of water
    · 1 Can (or more) of Pillsbury-type biscuit dough
    · Seasoned salt
    · Chopped vegetables (baby carrots, red potatos, celery, corn, etc)
    Directions:
    · In large pot combine chicken (salt and pepper to taste before cutting), soups, water, and chunked vegetables.
    · Season to your taste
    · Cover and cook on low heat for 1 ½ hours. Stir occasionally.
    · Shred into finger-size pieces and add biscuits, re-cover pot for 10 to 15 minutes.

Cut all ingredients into thumb size or smaller pieces to insure that they are cooked throughout, otherwise you will just have to cook longer. I usually buy a small bag of baby carrots, a few red potatos, and one of those bags of frozen corn that are like, 3 servings or 2-3 cups worth. Make sure to stir fairly regularly.

I've shared this recipe with a few friends, and it's been universally loved. Also makes great leftovers :)

Elrosst on
  • LintillaLintilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Spanakopita is a pretty awesome way to serve spinach hidden in cheese wrapped in crispy buttery phyllo dough. Tempura makes veggies fried and crispy, just like his other favorite foods! Wontons and other dumplings can be filled with anything you can shred, a meat-veggie blend should taste awesome, and you can try other nationalities' versions like raviolis, or pirogies when you get bored.

Lintilla on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A yummy way to cook asparagus, is to sautee it in butter, add a clove or two worth of minced garlic, (depending on how much you like garlic) and splash of balsamic vinegar.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is the best damn broccoli I've ever had.

I am completely serious. I found this using StumbleUpon, my aunt cooked it up on Thanksgiving and I had 3 servings of this compared with 1 serving of everything else. Now, I already like broccoli, but this was miles above in taste.

Mr Blonde on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lintilla wrote: »
    Spanakopita is a pretty awesome way to serve spinach hidden in cheese wrapped in crispy buttery phyllo dough.

Oh my god yes. I didn't even think anyone else knew about this awesome food.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mr Blonde wrote: »

I am completely serious. I found this using StumbleUpon, my aunt cooked it up on Thanksgiving and I had 3 servings of this compared with 1 serving of everything else. Now, I already like broccoli, but this was miles above in taste.

That looks really good, good enough to put myself on the waiting list for that book at my library. It reminds me of this recipe that I saw last week and was planning to try sometime soon:
    Roasted Shrimp with Broccoli

It'd probably still be good with the shrimp if you kept the garlic and parmesan instead of the different spices in that recipe. Or you could put some chicken breasts (skins and bones) in the oven, then add the broccoli about 20 minutes in.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mr Blonde wrote: »

That sounds delicious and I'm a big fan of brocoli. Gonna have to try it this week!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not the hugest veggie fan, but Thai dishes completely blow my mind.

HadjiQuest on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Curries are delicious. I've already posted the Cook's Illustrated curry recipe a bunch of times on here though.

Very easy dish that conveniently serves 2: bacon and brussels sprouts.

Ingredients:
    • 1 bag brussels sprouts (from Trader Joes, just the right size)
    • 3 slices bacon, sliced crosswise into small pieces
    • 1/2 cup dry vermouth
    • minced shallot and/or garlic (optional)

Directions:
    1. Rinse and dry brussel sprouts and chop each sprout into 3 or 4 crosswise slices (discarding the root end).

2. Fry bacon pieces in a 12-inch skillet until just crisp.

3. Add chopped brussel sprouts, stir, and saute in bacon fat over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Most should be carmelized on one side. Stir and continue to saute until well-carmelized all around, about 5-10 minutes longer.

4. Add shallots/garlic, if using, and saute until just fragrant, not more than a minute.

5. Add vermouth to pan and stir to scrape up browned drippings. When boiling, lower heat to medium-low or low and simmer until liquid is completely reduced and pan is almost dry, about 7 or 8 minutes. (Vegetables should be tender; if not, add a bit more vermouth and continue cooking until desired tenderness).

6. Add salt and pepper (don't be shy) and serve piping hot.

Qingu on
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I, too, am a veggie-hater. While I still don't especially enjoy eating them, here are some of the ways that I've found to make them edible.

Broccoli -
    steamed, then smothered in cheese sauce (the key is not over cooking like others have said before me)

Asparagus -
    steamed, then smothered in cheese sauce
    brushed with olive oil & balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper, and grilled (best on a real grill, but george foreman will work in a pinch)

Green beans -
    Cut up bacon into bite sized pieces and fry it up with some minced garlic. Once it's mostly cooked, add the green beans. You can also chop up some onion and fry it with the bacon.

Mixed Veggies -
    Kabobs! Pineapple, broccoli, zucchini...whatever really..., and some kind of meat. Brush with sauce of some sort. Again, a real grill is best, but geoge foreman will work in a pinch.

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Couple things:

Grilled asparagus with salt and pepper.

Steamed cauliflower with cheese on top!

I'm a big fan of the regular old carrots and peas in a beef stroganoff.

Mashed potatoes!

Or how about a meat pie? You know, like a pot pie you buy at the grocery store but homemade with all sorts of vegies and a little meat of your choice.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited March 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    It's not a whole recipe by itself but I love to cook slices of zucchini in a bit of olive oil and a little garlic. The zucchini absorbs all the garlic taste and it's delicious.

this is the best way to cook any and all vegetables

sautée in olive oil or butter with chopped/minced garlic in a frying pan

add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, if you feel like it

squash, zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, peas, corn, etc

pretty much anything done this way tastes great and takes less than five minutes to cook

spinach you really only have to put in the pan for about 30 seconds (any longer and it wilts too much) but make sure to let the garlic brown and cook in the oil for a bit to really let the flavor soak into the oil

if he doesn't like vegetables cooked this way then you should consider breaking it off.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    To go with the mashed potatoes idea, potato salad is a nice compliment to most lunches. It's also really easy and cheap to make.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Kath22Kath22 Registered User new member
    Hey,

this recipes sond so delicious!! My sister hates vagetables and I always try to cook something for her with vagetables that she might like! It didn't worked the last few times! So do you think one of you could tell me a recip that she might like???

Thanks a lot in advance!!

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Alton Brown did a whole episode on how to get kids to eat vegetables without them knowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMI7wNYfiow Vegetables in general

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvrqXbkBT84 With peas

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    A very simple way to cook veggies that taste awesome is:

Broccoli, diced bell pepper (Orange bell peppers are good for the heart, apparently), carrots and anything else you want to put it. Steam the veggies, but start with the carrots a few minutes early so they soften more. Mix up 1 part Frank's Red Hot with 1 part white vinegar. Doesn't need much. Mix sauce in with steamed veggies and serve.

So simply and easy and amazing.

This discussion has been closed.