As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV: Mama, I'm in Hong Kong

• Options
    LapineLapine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Sagat gets high damage output, long reaching powerful normals, high and low fireballs, a million anti-air options, and an easy way to combo into his ultra...

And his only real flaw is that I believe his walk speed is lower than everyone elses.

Whoopedy doo. Capcom is pretty retarded, guys. Even on paper the concept of Sagat is fucking retarded.

I'd rather have Adon in the game than Sagat. But going on Sagat's intro, maybe I'm a minority in this and Adon isn't very well liked in general.

Lapine on
    PSN: Lapine
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That Jumping bean Ryu strat actually works pretty well vs my characters (Abel, El F) I find both anti air grabs have issues with minor lag. One of the guys I played that was using it had 2800 bp, he was doing the Medium jump kick>medium sweep> fireball landing mostly if he caught me, he did catch me with a srk cancel super as well. I need to get out of work and keep up my quest to become more skilled in the luchador ways.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    So, good ken/ryu players can you answer this for me.

If I play a ryu and he just jumps. constantly, just jumping forwards and backwards... I guess trying to catch me in a cross up? And just does his kick -> sweep jump combo... Is that par for the course? Is that how good players play? Cause... once I get in the rythm it's not to bad to mess up.

short answer: no they suck.

Does this actually work against you? I love it when they do that because I just cannon spike them any time they fling themselves into the air like a retard. If you're using ryu or ken you could just dragon punch them or crouching HP.

We don't all have godly AA like that!

I was actually wondering what to do against them with Zangief. His clothesline won't do it, and jump straight up HK only sometimes works. I've taken to low block the sweep and jam out some LPs, but that's suboptimal. Once in a while, I can sneak in a SPD between kicks, but it requires an excellent connection and I can't do it 100%.

I usually beat these fuckers anyway, but what can I do to keep them from jumping in all the goddamn time? I want to put the fear of [strike]OT God[/strike]The Red Cyclone in them whenever they think about jumping.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

If I play a ryu and he just jumps. constantly, just jumping forwards and backwards... I guess trying to catch me in a cross up? And just does his kick -> sweep jump combo... Is that par for the course? Is that how good players play? Cause... once I get in the rythm it's not to bad to mess up.

Does this actually work against you? I love it when they do that because I just cannon spike them any time they fling themselves into the air like a retard. If you're using ryu or ken you could just dragon punch them or crouching HP.

Jump straight up + attack. Neutral jump attacks tend to beat jump in attacks. E honda has a fairly nasty neutral jumping fierce IIRC.

I personally love to do air throws against people who telegraph their jumpins like crazy.

aBlank on
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My title is Legendary Loser and I think it always will be. In the game, that is. In real life I'm a WINNER. Yeah.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    templewulf wrote: »

I was actually wondering what to do against them with Zangief. His clothesline won't do it, and jump straight up HK only sometimes works. I've taken to low block the sweep and jam out some LPs, but that's suboptimal. Once in a while, I can sneak in a SPD between kicks, but it requires an excellent connection and I can't do it 100%.

I usually beat these fuckers anyway, but what can I do to keep them from jumping in all the goddamn time? I want to put the fear of [strike]OT God[/strike]The Red Cyclone in them whenever they think about jumping.

oh for the 'Gief?

kkk or ppp 8-)

Joolander on
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Joolander wrote: »

oh for the 'Gief?

kkk or ppp 8-)

Yeah, this will work 90% of the time. Although a well placed jumping RH with Ryu stuffs PPP (it hits Z in the head).

If you play a Ryu who can hit Z's sweet spot, you can FA the jumping attack.

If you decide to block, and the jumping attack isn't deep, SPD Ryu.

If you can react fast enough, you can PPP and back up/move forward to mess up their jumping arc.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    templewulf wrote:

oh for the 'Gief?

kkk or ppp 8-)

Do you have to hit them with the windup? 'Cause doing it even slightly early only gets me hit on top of the head. Hitting with startup is better in that it tends to trade, rather than just lose, but that's still not great. Is there some trick to using it as an effective AA?

@Banshee:
    I've tried to FA the jump-in, but his counterattack is slow enough that it usually gets hit by the sweep. Is there some timing that allows me to charge up long enough to absorb the first hit while starting early enough to interrupt the second?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So who are the other top tier characters?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Last I checked, Bison! No one else matters!

Edit: Official answer: http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    templewulf wrote:

oh for the 'Gief?

kkk or ppp 8-)

Do you have to hit them with the windup? 'Cause doing it even slightly early only gets me hit on top of the head. Hitting with startup is better in that it tends to trade, rather than just lose, but that's still not great. Is there some trick to using it as an effective AA?

@Banshee:
    I've tried to FA the jump-in, but his counterattack is slow enough that it usually gets hit by the sweep. Is there some timing that allows me to charge up long enough to absorb the first hit while starting early enough to interrupt the second?

For the FA part, this really depends on the timing of the jump in and what they decide to follow it with... not so much the timing of the FA on your part (just as long as it's before he does his attack obviously :P). Really late jump ins give you a much smaller window to let go of the buttons and attack, and if he follows up with a jab/short, there's a good chance he'll still beat out the animation of the FA too.

For crossups, the idea behind FA'ing the cross up is that you can dash forward and be out of range for his followup.

(EDIT) re zangief's lariats: You want to hit them with the start/mid of it. Your mid section pretty much disappears at the start/mid of the lariat making it impossible to him zangief with mid attacks. The head/Feet remain vulnerable (IIRC). Fun note: Chun li's cr.roundhouse whiffs against zangief lariat until the end frames.

The 3K button (IIRC) removes his feet hitbox but leaves his head/mid vulnerable. I always found it fairly pointless outside of building meter after knockdown... maybe has some uses against Cammy too I dunno.

The head (again, IIRC!) always remains vulnerable. So attacks aimed at his head will hit. Best bet is move back (maybe even backdash) -> lariat to catch jumpers.

aBlank on
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    templewulf wrote:

oh for the 'Gief?

kkk or ppp 8-)

@Banshee:

You can do PPP as a reversal, it has priority over a lot of stuff. So do the lariat as late as you can.

If someone is crossing you up or is at the apex of their jump, and you lariat early, they may be high enough so that the lariat whiffs and then you'll get kicked in the head. Again, if you expect a crossup do it as late as possible.

Also, if you get hit high enough because you PPPed too early, the rest of your opponent's combo may not connect. That's a free SPD right there.

As for the FA, it needs to be released as soon as you take the jumping hit. If your opponent's attacks are too fast, backdash, then evaluate if you're close enough to hit or SPD.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aumni wrote: »
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    I noticed something from playing online. I used to use Ken/Ryu for ages (since SF2, and everygame between, including SFEX and all the Vs. games), but this is the first time I've actually played against a wide breadth of players.

My BP was not that great with Ken/Ryu, and when i switched to Sagat, I started to do better. Anyone else notice that switching from a shoto to a non-shoto player?

but... you switched from a shoto... to a muy tha-- shoto.

What's a shoto . . .?

Ken/Ryu/Sakura/Akuma are Shoto fighters. Based on their fighting style.
    I don't really consider Sakura a "shoto". She plays significantly differently than Ken/Ryu/Akuma, who were all three originally basically headswapped sprites with almost exactly the same normals.

If you lump her in under the "Shoto" brand, then you almost have to do the same for Dan, which would be just plain wacky.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I noticed something from playing online. I used to use Ken/Ryu for ages (since SF2, and everygame between, including SFEX and all the Vs. games), but this is the first time I've actually played against a wide breadth of players.

My BP was not that great with Ken/Ryu, and when i switched to Sagat, I started to do better. Anyone else notice that switching from a shoto to a non-shoto player?

What's a shoto . . .?

I don't really consider Sakura a "shoto". She plays significantly differently than Ken/Ryu/Akuma, who were all three originally basically headswapped sprites with almost exactly the same normals.

If you lump her in under the "Shoto" brand, then you almost have to do the same for Dan, which would be just plain wacky.

personally, i call everyone who fireballs and SRKs a shoto
    i'm not saying it's right; but, i'm like...
    ryu, ken, akuma, dan, sakura, and sometimes sagat, and also sometimes gouken

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »

What's a shoto . . .?

personally, i call everyone who fireballs and SRKs a shoto
    i'm not saying it's right; but, i'm like...
    ryu, ken, akuma, dan, sakura, gouken, and sometimes sagat

I definitely wouldn't include Gouken in that, his only SRK is his super and ultra and his hurricane kick is completely different. Hell, almost all his moves are completely different.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    yeah, but...
    he taught ryu the OG shoto, so i have a hard time with that one

i'm a loose amalgamation between move-set and cannon

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, bout that time for a new thread thar.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    So, bout that time for a new thread thar.

Yeah, I mentioned that like 5 pages back and seemingly was ignored :P

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I have no idea, but I do appreciate your sig.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So I checked my reputation for the first time ever.

0% avoidance/negative responses? I was hoping I was better at Street Fighter than that :(

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I wish the Avoidance/negative replys were game specific. I know I have avoids from Halo and the percentages stay about the same for me but it would be nice to know when people are getting frustrated and avoiding me because of it for each game.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    what the hell were they thinking when they put like a 1 frame recovery on jab dragon punch?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Abel is C class on the tier list? Hmmm, I dont seem to be having this tier problem at all ranked or against anyone. I think its safe to say that the Tiers are only applicable for high level tournement play and is bullshit for the rest of the crew.

We need a new thread, i get lost just looking at the amount of pages ive missed since the last time i logged in. lol

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got called a 'uu weeeeaajjabbboo' or something last night. I dunno what that counts as.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Abel is C class on the tier list? Hmmm, I dont seem to be having this tier problem at all ranked or against anyone. I think its safe to say that the Tiers are only applicable for high level tournement play and is bullshit for the rest of the crew.

We need a new thread, i get lost just looking at the amount of pages ive missed since the last time i logged in. lol

Notice that the tiers are also rather tight, the thing with Abel is he doesn't have any omg free win matchups, mostly 6-4 or 4-6 or 5-5 match ups for our french friend. El F and Vega don't even have a ton of super bad match ups. I am curious to see a tier listing with console characters, something tells me fei fans are gonna be upset at his placement.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sakura is definitely shoto.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

Notice that the tiers are also rather tight, the thing with Abel is he doesn't have any omg free win matchups, mostly 6-4 or 4-6 or 5-5 match ups for our french friend. El F and Vega don't even have a ton of super bad match ups. I am curious to see a tier listing with console characters, something tells me fei fans are gonna be upset at his placement.

I don't think any one of them will be near the top. Either they intended it to be that way or they simply had a better grasp of the new system when they made them.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

I don't think any one of them will be near the top. Either they intended it to be that way or they simply had a better grasp of the new system when they made them.

If I had to call it now from what I have seen of the console only guys ranking them on there own not vs the rest of the cast the ranks would prob go: Rose, Sakura, Cammy, Gouken, Dan, Gen(based on difficulty), Seth, Fei Long.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Below Seth? Wow. I'd probably say gouken cammy rose sakura gen dan. Haven't really seen any seth or feilong.

TheStig on
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That teir list sure makes Sagat look like god.

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fei Long worst than Dan? Now that's just sad.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I dunno I've seen some goooood Feis online, though I don't play Fei that much. Seth on the other hand, if I see someone pick him "Oh boy, free win!"

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Gouken is tops, definitely.

Also, I need to stop jumping and expecting to be able to block. Too many guilty gear. :(

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I would call Seth and Fei about even they are likely both better then el f and claw at least initially tho. Fei seems so easily punished and has pretty weak specials from what I have seen, could just be Abel is a good match up vs Fei but my friend has major issues with half the cast playing Fei.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    verpakeyes wrote: »

i've been playin' a bit of sagat lately. and, i don't know that i like the fact.

but... his zoning is off the charts, that's what i love about him (the fact that his priority rocks helps here, too).

is there anyone else that can lock down like Tiger Knee... the regular shotos get the fireball/SRK that locks down a lot; but, fuck that Knee has got some wicked range. Does anyone have a move comparable to Tiger Knee... i mean it's a fuckin' AA that covers half the screen...

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I'm getting really tired of playing Kens online. Anyone up for a few matches against a bad Balrog?

xbl is learntofly

edit: busy now!

learntofly on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

i've been playin' a bit of sagat lately. and, i don't know that i like the fact.

but... his zoning is off the charts, that's what i love about him (the fact that his priority rocks helps here, too).

is there anyone else that can lock down like Tiger Knee... the regular shotos get the fireball/SRK that locks down a lot; but, fuck that Knee has got some wicked range. Does anyone have a move comparable to Tiger Knee... i mean it's a fuckin' AA that covers half the screen...

Most charge characters?

edit: speaking of charge characters, how do you deal with a balrog that keeps doing down+back? I can't deal with that at all.

Turtling like a motherfucker.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »

Most charge characters?

edit: speaking of charge characters, how do you deal with a balrog that keeps doing down+back?

Turtling like a motherfucker.

it's hard if you don't have a good fast pressure character, but you have to keep on him in a way that either baits his counters or doesn't let him counter. Use overheads; bait his anti-airs; throw him. A lot.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I kinda wanna learn Bison, what with all the Jibba Jabba about him.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »

Most charge characters?

man... i don't like playin' charge characters :(
    i had pretty much ruled them out (in my head) by default
    i'm surprised at the lack of people's abilities to read my mind today.

maybe if there was a charge character with a fireball that wasn't a charge move (i.e. not a charge character)

TyrantCow on
This discussion has been closed.