As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV! I want to be the very best, like noone ever was!

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    That Dhalsim isn't human. He's some sort of street fighter robot from the future.

Dhalsim is Bender

think about it

they both belch fire, and they both have extenso-matic arms and....

well thats all i got

i have to admit, someone making a mugen game with bender in it could do well to pretty much copy all of dhalsims moves. although im not sure how weight would affect him. his jump moves might have to be changed a bit, since dhalsim is all floaty, and bender is... well, shiny metal.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bender needs a beer meter.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So who wants to play???

Gamertag gogosebiel

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    on a fun note! IVE ORDERED A DREAMCAST!!!

i've been thinking on and off about ordering one for like... several years now, but just now actually decided to buy one.

i just hope the one i bought has the ability to play backups. i also need to hunt down some arcade sticks for it, since ill be playing some epic fighting games on it!! (if i can play backups that is)

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »

i've been thinking on and off about ordering one for like... several years now, but just now actually decided to buy one.

i just hope the one i bought has the ability to play backups. i also need to hunt down some arcade sticks for it, since ill be playing some epic fighting games on it!! (if i can play backups that is)

Early launch ones did...you have to check the date on them, but it's been awhile so you'll have to dig (google) the info somewhere. Still have mine from 9-9-99 BABAY! Waited in the launch line and everything...now I just want to go play CvM 2. The song got stuck in my head just playing SF4...nooooo.

"I wanna take you for a ridddeeee"

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You best not be playing MvC2 later tonight, because we need to have a Bison-off.

Loser has to wear the alternate outfit :p

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Masume wrote: »
    dav3yb wrote: »

Early launch ones did...you have to check the date on them, but it's been awhile so you'll have to dig (google) the info somewhere. Still have mine from 9-9-99 BABAY! Waited in the launch line and everything...now I just want to go play CvM 2. The song got stuck in my head just playing SF4...nooooo.

"I wanna take you for a ridddeeee"

from what i can tell, the majority of the dreamcasts produced play backups just fine, so the chances of getting a good one from a random ebay/amazon order, are better than getting an unfriendly one.

the magic date is 100% before october of 2000, a good chunk in the oct-dec 2000 i think are good to play backups. if you get anything after, then your chances seem to drop quite a bit.

even if its not one, i can always try again! though next time ill ask (its not liek dreamcasts are a rare thing. i think there's near 100 on amazon)

dav3yb on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You best not be playing MvC2 later tonight, because we need to have a Bison-off.

LOL, you bet! ;)

Damnit Gamestop is *really* pissing me off...I can't get them to get my damn fightpad for my win, and the next Round for the state finals is this weekend! I had them email the DM and the Regional Manager, and he said that they didn't think a stick came with this win. Duh, it's the PAD, not the stick, so he has to email him back again. My...blood...is...boiling!

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i like bisons alt costume.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I swear to god I'm almost done with this game. It just doesn't want me to love it. Masssssssive Rant inside, read and have a laugh at how terrible I am. (Don't actually)
    I am seriously getting tired of fighting people who are 10x better then me ALL THE FUCKING TIME. I always end up getting cornered with some bullshit and I can't do anything about it, and my fucking controller is really pissing me off, OH I THOUGHT YOU SAID SOUL THROW! (I know its the shortcut but I can't be fucking up the input that bad). I can't justify a stick when I'm not even decent at the game. I thought something had clicked with Cammy but I was just fighting a bunch of shitty people.

I understand you can get some basic understanding before I go online but come on most of the time I'd at least enjoy fighting people I can see were I went wrong, not just hoping on and getting completely destroyed because I fucking messed up my spacing. I know where I went wrong using the light kick instead of fierce but its always what comes next, be it Shoyruken spam or constant throws.

Also Ken can go fuck him self, like seriously.

Play with PA people, seriously.

Also King Kong has one helluva Sagat. Thanks for whipping my ass so much, good practice against him.

The list is full I believe so its really hard to find some one :\.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

LOL, you bet! ;)

Damnit Gamestop is *really* pissing me off...I can't get them to get my damn fightpad for my win, and the next Round for the state finals is this weekend! I had them email the DM and the Regional Manager, and he said that they didn't think a stick came with this win. Duh, it's the PAD, not the stick, so he has to email him back again. My...blood...is...boiling!

God damn, I would be so pissed.

If you don't get one, maybe someone at the tournament would be nice enough to lend you theirs for your match. I'm sure they can all relate to Gamestop's idiocity.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    PA SF4-2 ELECTRIC BUGALOO should be the name of list 2!

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am on the PSN now, TransportX.

So if you want to fight a hilarious C. Viper or an incredibly boring Cammy add me!

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

LOL, you bet! ;)

God damn, I would be so pissed.

If you don't get one, maybe someone at the tournament would be nice enough to lend you theirs for your match. I'm sure they can all relate to Gamestop's idiocity.

i think gamestop has to provide the shit that is going to be used. if you let people bring their own shit they might bring some crazy stick/pad that has macro's built in.

dav3yb on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmmm....bad news for Balrog users and good news for those frustrated by Balrog:

This is from UltraDavid, a regular SRKer and tourney player about Balrog's wake-up weaknesses:
    UltraDavid wrote: »
    His wakeup options are really weak.

Headbutt is a crappy reversal, no bones about it. The normal version straight up loses to lots of low attacks (ie Dhalsim down and down-back+kicks, Zangief crouching short, Dan crouching short, and I'm sure every other character has something else as well). And when it doesn't beat low attacks, it flies harmlessly right over them. And on top of that, it comes out really slowly. The fastest version, jab, takes 8 frames to come out, which means that if you have any normal that recovers in fewer than 8 frames (and everyone does, as far as I know), you can pressure him on his wakeup without him being able to do a headbutt fast enough to stop you. Now, jab loses to lots of things anyway, so if he really wants you off him, he's gonna have to do ex headbutt, which takes a full 12 frames to come out, meaning that you have even more leeway to put out a meaty normal that will recover before he can hit you with a headbutt.

And it's not like his other potential reversals are any better or faster. Super? Comes out in 9 frames. Ultra? Comes out in 10 frames. Both are extremely and easily punishable, and both are huge wastes of meter.

How about an ex rush punch? They absorb one hit, so can't they absorb the first meaty attack and hit the next one? Well, these are kinda weird. The startup on the move is very long, but after you hit him once, the actual hitting part of the dash punch comes out pretty fast, like in as few as 7 frames. But again, 7 frames is pretty slow as reversals go, so lots of characters can meaty him around this and then block the actual hit of the ex dash punch. Others can meaty him and immediately cancel into a safe pressure move.

Don't bother crossing Rog up, there's just no reason to; if you cross him up, he gets a chance to escape with headbutt (which moves him pretty far forward), he can move away from the corner, and you don't get the benefits of pressuring him on his weak wakeup. Boxer can backdash away against most characters (but not all, see Dictator crouching short xx scissors pressure), but then once he gets cornered he's pretty much out of luck.

So if you have boxer knocked down, don't do any cross up on him since that's the ez escape mode for him. He actually has crappy wake-up options that can be punished easily.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Frame counting shenanigans really don't do it for me. The game becomes more about paper-rock-scissor mathematics at that point. I just like to play by feel man; I love somehow knowing (and I mean like total psychic predetermination) that Sakura's EX hurricane is gonna connect on some fool.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I cant find a Zangief anti-air against Ryu's jumping hard kick. I've tried all 6 attack buttons grounded and aired, lariat, green hand, I have no way of taking him out of the air. He can beat me only with jump kicks, which I'm pretty sure is not supposed to be the case.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Street Fighter is just one big maths problem waiting to be solved.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I cant find a Zangief anti-air against Ryu's jumping hard kick. I've tried all 6 attack buttons grounded and aired, lariat, green hand, I have no way of taking him out of the air. He can beat me only with jump kicks, which I'm pretty sure is not supposed to be the case.

Have you tried blocking? Block the jump kick, block the inevitable sweep kick followup, then hit him with a jab spinning piledriver.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Maybe lariat and move backwards? So he hits your hands instead of your head? I don't know, Gief rocks my shit everytime.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really fucking hate that I have to unlock characters to play as in a fighting game. I know it has been bitched about plenty, but I still have Gouken and Seth to unlock and it is just so fucking dumb these conditions you have to meet to make Gouken even appear (that is if you even make it to him). This is just really aggravating to someone who likes to unlock achievements.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Whos up for sparring? Im warming up before my tourney opponent comes online. Anyone? tags in the siggy

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mmmm...that new thread smell. Nice.

I came home today and got lo' and behold my Mad Catz Tournament Edition Arcade Stick has arrived! After a few minutes of playing, I'm totally sold on it. I'll give you an example:

You know how much better you got when you switched from the Xbox pad to the fightpad? You get that much better again when you go from the fightpad to the TE Stick.

Long story short, if you're serious about SF or arcade style games in general, snap it up. It's worth the money and can always be flipped on Ebay later for mad profit. :P

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I really fucking hate that I have to unlock characters to play as in a fighting game. I know it has been bitched about plenty, but I still have Gouken and Seth to unlock and it is just so fucking dumb these conditions you have to meet to make Gouken even appear (that is if you even make it to him). This is just really aggravating to someone who likes to unlock achievements.

Gouken is easy. Here's what I did.

1. Set to easiest, 1 round matches.
    2. hcb fireball spam fight one. You'll rack up 1x First Strike and 1x Perfect.
    3. Fights two and three, hit with a fireball for First Strike, then let the cpu hit you until Ultra is ready. Back off and fireball spam until they're low, then move in and lp > lp > back > lk > hp (quickly). You should now be at 3x First Strikes, 2x Ultra Wins, and 1x Perfect.
    4. Fireball spam the next two matches to get your 4th and 5th First Strikes. All conditions met.
    5. Cheeze out with fireballs until Seth, then Sweep, Sweep, Sweep, right as he's getting up.
    6. Do the same to Gouken, party on.

Houn on
  • Options
    DerigorDerigor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok it is imperative I need to play more SF4 and less KZ2. my powers are disappearing. I dont want to let Jimmy and Dan down. I can be the best... arooooound. nothing is gunna keep me down. or something.

side note: I made a reference to the karate kid, you know the sweep the leg thing, to my wife. who had no idea. I posed the question "you have seen the movie right" she said "oh yea of course the one with the girl and the Asian guy and she learns karate" I fucking face palmed so hard I wanted to face palm her too.

Derigor on
    PSN: Derigor
    A hulk's power is jumping.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Mmmm...that new thread smell. Nice.

I came home today and got lo' and behold my Mad Catz Tournament Edition Arcade Stick has arrived! After a few minutes of playing, I'm totally sold on it. I'll give you an example:

You know how much better you got when you switched from the Xbox pad to the fightpad? You get that much better again when you go from the fightpad to the TE Stick.

Long story short, if you're serious about SF or arcade style games in general, snap it up. It's worth the money and can always be flipped on Ebay later for mad profit. :P

I"m still TRYING to get my FREE one I rightfully won in the tourney! ARGHHHHHHHH

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    GGs Stoked up! I really need to learn my elf normals a bit better.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'm pretty sure C. MP works, or a late PPP Lariat. C. MP Works against Kens.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

Very good matches TheUnsane, especially considering the lag that I was inducing. We definitely have to rematch another day when my internet is up to my average 4 bars.

Yeah your elf is waaaay better than 99.9% of the ranked ElFs Ive played (ive actually never lost a match against Fuerte with Abel or Sagat) so that was fun. Definitely explore your normals more since its easy to predict the run and jump or jump off the wall moves. I definitely Hate el fuertes ultra! lol It seems almost unavoidable and pretty high damaging. I love using falling sky as well versus el fuerte because the second youd run or jump off a wall it would work, lol.

*oh yeah and my mic was at a friends house, i wasnt trying to be anti-social! Till next time Fuerte

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Also King Kong has one helluva Sagat. Thanks for whipping my ass so much, good practice against him.

GG's as always. And yes play with PA peeps I may not talk usually (unless everyone is leaving me alone) but I'm always down to help whoever with whatever.

King Kong on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »

Very good matches TheUnsane, especially considering the lag that I was inducing. We definitely have to rematch another day when my internet is up to my average 4 bars.

Yeah your elf is waaaay better than 99.9% of the ranked ElFs Ive played (ive actually never lost a match against Fuerte with Abel or Sagat) so that was fun. Definitely explore your normals more since its easy to predict the run and jump or jump off the wall moves. I definitely Hate el fuertes ultra! lol It seems almost unavoidable and pretty high damaging. I love using falling sky as well versus el fuerte because the second youd run or jump off a wall it would work, lol.

*oh yeah and my mic was at a friends house, i wasnt trying to be anti-social! Till next time Fuerte

Yea it confuses me that my Elf is way better vs Sagat then my Abel, I get zoned way worse as Abel I guess and Elf has tons of movement options. I have a hard time thinking to use my focus attacks and things with him too (this will change once I get my modded stick or TE stick and I put time into learning the RSF

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    On a separate note I've always played SF with a pad, I played in the arcade and never felt real comfortable on a stick. If I grab a stick am I honestly gonna see a difference or should I just stick to my fightpad.

King Kong on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Huh. Fought a Ken player who used the "Anti-Shoryuken" Sagat tag.

He wasn't that much against Shoryukens, as it turns out.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    King Kong wrote: »
    On a separate note I've always played SF with a pad, I played in the arcade and never felt real comfortable on a stick. If I grab a stick am I honestly gonna see a difference or should I just stick to my fightpad.

Well it really depends on the person but if you put the time in you should find a stick much more responsive and precision moves and timing should be easier to pull off. YMMV tho.

FUCK YEA EL Mother F'n Fuerte vs. 2052 rated Ryu = ElF 2-0

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Abel will probably have an easier time going against Fuerte than Sagat. If Sagat doesn't have EX, he is easy to splash/fajita bustered/tortilla propeller'ed for Fuerte once knocked down.

Of course, if Sagat decides to do EX uppercut, Fuerte can just bait him easily as well.

I find Abel's wheelkick really effective against Fuerte that tries to bait Abel - really, really effective. Abel's rolls also helps to avoid some of Fuerte's wake-up shenanigans.

That reminds me - once I'm off work, I'll need some Abel players to play against so I can devise some sort of general strats against Abel.

For Fuerte against Sagat strats: the general strategy is:
    1) wall-jump and baiting from wall-jump are your friends from a distance - stuffs fireball spamming Sagat as well as Sagat who wants to do fireball trap to uppercut/knee or f+HK.
    2) Sagat without EX is too easy to do wake up shenanigans on - splashes beats uppercut/knees clean I think. Even a simple jumping fierce cross-up is good to use once Sagat is confused.
    3) Once Sagat has EX meter, bait bait bait!
    4) If cornered by Sagat, EX Guacamole throw is your friend! Always save EX meter for this! Cornering Fuerte is really the only way for Sagat to kill Fuerte effectively (and boy, is it effective!).

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yea it confuses me that my Elf is way better vs Sagat then my Abel, I get zoned way worse as Abel I guess and Elf has tons of movement options. I have a hard time thinking to use my focus attacks and things with him too (this will change once I get my modded stick or TE stick and I put time into learning the RSF

Your Abel was getting zoned? His roll to me is pretty much his anti-zone tool, which is why i like him. He can play keep away so damn easily.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    TheOne(AndOnly)TheOne(AndOnly) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone want to do some PS3 Street fighter? My PSN ID is Lqmpley.

Also how do I stop Dhalism as Zangief? I fought one earlier where he just backed into the corner, sent slow fireballs and low stretchy punched or high streatchy kick qhether or not I jumped or Lariated the fireball.

TheOne(AndOnly) on
    BNet USEast: Lampley | PKBlack FC:1850-1035-3335 | LoL PATheOneAndOnly
    PSN: Lqmpley | Steam: TheOne(AndOnly)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Your Abel was getting zoned? His roll to me is pretty much his anti-zone tool, which is why i like him. He can play keep away so damn easily.

Doesn't Sagat's crouching LK zone Abel pretty easily from doing his rolls?
    Wait, his EX roll has invincibility to hit, right?

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Narcis PrinceNarcis Prince Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does anyone have tips for landing FA's? I know that Fei Long is supposed to have a crazy good FA, but the only time I can pull it off is after knocking the other guy down. Also, is there a way to stun someone without charging the FA up the whole way?

Narcis Prince on
    I will not let you touch my beautiful, beautiful face.
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I swear to god I'm almost done with this game. It just doesn't want me to love it. Masssssssive Rant inside, read and have a laugh at how terrible I am. (Don't actually)
    I am seriously getting tired of fighting people who are 10x better then me ALL THE FUCKING TIME. I always end up getting cornered with some bullshit and I can't do anything about it, and my fucking controller is really pissing me off, OH I THOUGHT YOU SAID SOUL THROW! (I know its the shortcut but I can't be fucking up the input that bad). I can't justify a stick when I'm not even decent at the game. I thought something had clicked with Cammy but I was just fighting a bunch of shitty people.

I understand you can get some basic understanding before I go online but come on most of the time I'd at least enjoy fighting people I can see were I went wrong, not just hoping on and getting completely destroyed because I fucking messed up my spacing. I know where I went wrong using the light kick instead of fierce but its always what comes next, be it Shoyruken spam or constant throws.

Also Ken can go fuck him self, like seriously.

The list is full I believe so its really hard to find some one :\.

PM me your GT, I can help you out with your game.

LibrarianThorne on