As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girl Games: No, I Wouldn't Like to Make You a Sandwich

MasterOfSporksMasterOfSporks Registered User new member
edited March 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Alright, I hate to be this person, but after a particularly awful game of Left4Dead, I really feel like a good rant. These forums seemed to be the place I would get the most knowledgeable(?) responses and comments.

I am aware that there exist jerks, a-holes, and generally unsavory people on the Internet and in online gaming circles. However, I am still taken aback by the frequency with which I run into guys in games such as L4D and other first person shooters who treat me as their verbal punching-bag because of my gender. (If you haven't already guessed, I'm a girl.) These people maybe wind up in the same game as I do 1 out of 20 times, but this number really ends up being too frequent. How hard is it to headshot zombies when some guy's asking you if you need to "change your tampon" or "sit on my lap to use your medkit"? Why should I and other female gamers be subject to calls for sandwich-making or dish-washing while crowning witches or what-have-you? Again, most male gamers I run across are true gentlemen that treat me with perfect respect and equality. If I suck at the game, they let me know, but at least it's not blamed on my gender. I do not mind a-holery, but I do mind cat-calls, references to how I could better spend my time shopping or cooking, and other absurd comments that have nothing to do with anything.

I'm so darn miffed at this. It is all I can do to not squeeze the trigger when those little green cross-hairs pop up. Well, proverbially speaking, since L4D doesn't have colored cross-hairs. Thanks for letting me vent some. Any comments or advice are welcome.

MasterOfSporks on

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    20040319h.jpg

In all honestly, we all have to deal with it. You think I like listening to these kids as much as you do? Whenever I play online games, I hardly ever listen to the other people, I have a group of people to play with, and most of the rest of the time, everyone else is muted.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dunno about L4D, but here it's mostly a joke

At least I hope it is. There are some for whom it may not be quite so jokey.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hello wiigirl.

Quid on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Talking to people online is way overrated, especially if they're randoms.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Advice: Make friends with people are not morons, then game primarily with them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I dunno about L4D, but here it's mostly a joke

At least I hope it is. There are some for whom it may not be quite so jokey.

Honestly I'm totally objectifying you now.

You are just a uniboob to me.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Touhou Project: Girliest Manly Game Ever

I have a lot of girl customers at my store, but they do the same thing the males do. Complain theres nothing interesting so I show them everything new and interesting or things people don't try...then they turn around and rent Call of Duty. :x

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    EB and Hakke both got it right. It sucks, it's irritating, and it's not going away. For what it's worth, I'm sorry there are so many shitcocks in the general gaming populace. I've often wished that every online gamer could be more like the people here on PA (don't mean to brag, they just seem more decent than most gamers.)

If it's any consolation, and it suits you, I recommend taking the "I'm better than they are" approach. Just think of it like...there's no way those assholes have very many friends, and there's sure as hell no way they get laid often, if ever. Think of them as sad, pathetic little bastards living in their parents' basements. Odds are, you won't be far off.

Edit: That said, would you like to make me a sandw--nevermind.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Advice: Make friends with people are not morons, then game primarily with them.

Advice so nice he posted it twice.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, and it suits you, I recommend taking the "I'm better than they are" approach. Just think of it like...there's no way those assholes have very many friends, and there's sure as hell no way they get laid often, if ever. Think of them as sad, pathetic little bastards living in their parents' basements. Odds are, you won't be far off.

I dunno, I've seen some honestly normal people turn into straight assholes when online.

It's pretty shocking to see someone you thought was pretty awesome come out and become nutsacks.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sadly a friend of mine whom I game with frequently does this all the time. He doesn't go after any girl online thankfully, but if he sees them in say, Counter-Strike, using a spray with a picture of themselves, he just goes into like some sort of misogny mode. If he sees girls flaunting the fact, or even a hint of them maybe doing this, he will suddenly barrage them with shit. Specifically the "make me a sandwich" line.

Yes, I know he is a douchebag.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's very difficult for a girl on the internet to land into the niche between 'Attention Whore' and 'Feminazi'

double standard but what can ya do.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    honestly, guys in games talk just as much shit to eachother.

It's just that when you know you're talking to a girl, misogny becomes an awesome way to get under their skin.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    However, I am still taken aback by the frequency with which I run into guys in games such as L4D and other first person shooters who treat me as their verbal punching-bag because of my gender.

Question: do they direct such comments to male players as well?

Misogyny (and homophobia) are very common online. This I do not deny. On the other hand, I tell my male friends to stop sucking cock, or ask them to sit in my lap, etc. etc. etc. Spend a day in D&D [chat] and you'll see guys sexually harassing guys, guys harassing girls, girls harassing guys, girls harassing girls, and if the New Zealanders are online, guys harassing sheep.

I recognize that we might not be the lowest common denominator of gamers here. As I said, misogyny is common online. But in any single example, how do you tell the difference between guys who talk shit to the girls because they genuinely look down on the girls, versus guys who talk shit to everybody?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

It's just that when you know you're talking to a girl, misogny becomes an awesome way to get under their skin.

That doesn't make it a good idea. "I wanted a competitive advantage" would not justify calling a black person a racial slur to his face while gaming at a party, why the hell should it justify demeaning a woman over the internet? Just because it's anonymous? Fucking weak. If you can't beat her without screaming "VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA" then you didn't really beat her, did you?

I use tasteless humor with many of my female friends, but I make absolutely Goddamn sure that we are friends before I even consider it. And in many cases, I still keep the blue jokes to myself, unless I'm positive they won't take offense.

Don't be a jackass. Respect people's individual boundaries.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    However, I am still taken aback by the frequency with which I run into guys in games such as L4D and other first person shooters who treat me as their verbal punching-bag because of my gender.

Misogyny (and homophobia) are very common online. This I do not deny. On the other hand, I tell my male friends to stop sucking cock, or ask them to sit in my lap, etc. etc. etc. Spend a day in D&D [chat] and you'll see guys sexually harassing guys, guys harassing girls, girls harassing guys, girls harassing girls, and if the New Zealanders are online, guys harassing sheep.

I recognize that we might not be the lowest common denominator of gamers here. As I said, misogyny is common online. But in any single example, how do you tell the difference between guys who talk shit to the girls because they genuinely look down on the girls, versus guys who talk shit to everybody?

It's possible they're only using your gender to tailor their very typical and all-reaching douche-baggery to fit your needs, and they're not very misogynistic at all.

However, I think I'm rather jaded, and I very much doubt that's probably almost ever the case.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »

That doesn't make it a good idea. "I wanted a competitive advantage" would not justify calling a black person a racial slur to his face while gaming at a party, why the hell should it justify demeaning a woman over the internet? Just because it's anonymous? Fucking weak. If you can't beat her without screaming "VAGINA VAGINA VAGINA" then you didn't really beat her, did you?

I use tasteless humor with many of my female friends, but I make absolutely Goddamn sure that we are friends before I even consider it. And in many cases, I still keep the blue jokes to myself, unless I'm absolutely positive they won't take offense.

Don't be a jackass. Respect people's individual boundaries.

I'm not saying demeaning others is okay, I'm just saying that it isn't the exclusive result of being female.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Feral, we need to play TF2 together. I will make you make me a sandvich.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Feral, we need to play TF2 together. I will make you make me a sandvich.

:O

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah we all know it's a bad idea. But it's also pretty clear that a douchenozzle in a video game who is a misogynist is also going around calling guys faggots and the n-word.

They're being an asshole with the purpose of trying to get you to screw up. Yes, they're still an asshole, but that's why they're doing it. Unless you're going to effect a sea change among all gamers (and yes, females will also be "sexy" in games to distract males), use the mute button or realize that they're idiots and tell them to suck your dick.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Feral wrote: »

From personal experience, the kind of harassment I observe online in FPS games (MMOers go out of their way to be nice to chicks) is far removed from the kind of joking harassment that happens on these forums. Usually it's distasteful in a way that isn't comical, it's just distasteful and assholish. Also, it is generally extremely misogynistic or racist, usually because there is a level of testosterone-packed teenage social awkward juvenile humorist that thinks that anything that is the least bit subversive, even if it is subversive because it's just incredibly stupid or ignorant, is the funniest thing ever. This is why, I believe, there has been a resurgence of the n word and sexism in such circles.

I suppose, it's different, because in such a community as this it is seen more as a "hand-shake", like a "lol, I told you to make me a sandwich but it's funny because we don't actually treat each other that way and are equivalent in this relationship". In online games it is more seen as an actual declaration of dominance, as in "lol, I told you to make me a sandwich the way an abusive husband might because I am dominant to you the way an abusive husband is dominant".

EDIT:
    I should clarify, the distinction between MMO and FPS should be considered the difference between cooperative games and competitive games. You see the same sort of assholism appear around pvp scenes in MMOs too. Really, any place where there is a notion of dominance, there will also come with it complete dick-being.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Even tho I am a mid fourties guy, I feel your pain. It pisses me off when people talk shit(including to other players) they would never say to my(your) face, so I usally game with people I know. Way better anyway, when you team play you want to be on a freaking team. You want to know that you can back each other up, you want team chat that lets you work together, otherwise you might as well just grief. My mid thirties wife feels the same way.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I always turn mics off if the option exists in whatever game I'm playing.

Nobody ever says anything useful anyway. It's all 'durr durr cocks ni**a fuk u homo lol'. I've never experienced firsthand the rampant misogyny, but I also never use a mic and my handles/nicknames are always gender neutral or masculine sounding.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Alright, I hate to be this person, but after a particularly awful game of Left4Dead, I really feel like a good rant. These forums seemed to be the place I would get the most knowledgeable(?) responses and comments.

See, what you need to do is play with the PA people. If we yell at you, it won't be for being a girl. Oh, there's plenty of trash talking, but it's all in good fun and people (mostly) know when to stop.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Echo wrote: »

See, what you need to do is play with the PA people. If we yell at you, it won't be for being a girl. Oh, there's plenty of trash talking, but it's all in good fun and people (mostly) know when to stop.

Srsly.

PA servers are full of good people having good times, and they do in fact use the voice functions to coordinate as well as banter, and the banter is great.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    People on the internet act like dicks. More at 11.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Reznik wrote: »

Nobody ever says anything useful anyway. It's all 'durr durr cocks ni**a fuk u homo lol'. I've never experienced firsthand the rampant misogyny, but I also never use a mic and my handles/nicknames are always gender neutral or masculine sounding.

Wait you're a chick Reznik
    Huh
    Anyways

Yeah, that's just how online games work
    I've been called a fag and a bad perjorative for black person so many times now I've lost count
    Honestly I just don't care any more; who gives a shit? They don't know me
    Fuck the haters

Rent on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Huh

See? It works

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I tend to find a couple of servers in any game, favorite them, and go back there. Like I play TF2 a lot with this one clan called LKM818 or something like that. I dunno anything about them, only that they're cool peoples.

Feral on

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Huh

See? It works

I think it's more the fact that I get lost in Zaka's eyes every time I see your avvie
    so dreamy <3<3<3
    Er...I'm totally straight I swear
    He's the pacifist...of my heart

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    By confirming yourself as a female, Reznik, you have squashed Rent's dreams.

His wet, delicious dreams.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

We often boot people that turn off the headset. When you were in RSV2 CQB you needed everyone working together.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would never trust a woman to do something as important as making a proper sandwich...

Covering my back in an FPS, raiding in WoW, doing any of the work of any man out there just as well, sure.

But sandwich making? That shit is personal!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a deep voice and people call me "the n word" all the time just on that basis.

That pisses me off.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm so darn miffed at this. It is all I can do to not squeeze the trigger when those little green cross-hairs pop up. Well, proverbially speaking, since L4D doesn't have colored cross-hairs. Thanks for letting me vent some. Any comments or advice are welcome.

These people are literally everywhere. The only solution is to be a bit more discerning about whom you play with. If you don't already, I'd suggest hanging out in G&T a bit more and striking up games with the people in the respective threads for whatever game you want to play. We tend to be a little less dickish than the rest of the internet on the forums, and that seems to translate to games as well.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    20040319h.jpg

In all honestly, we all have to deal with it. You think I like listening to these kids as much as you do? Whenever I play online games, I hardly ever listen to the other people, I have a group of people to play with, and most of the rest of the time, everyone else is muted.

I think this theory is wrong. The people that are jackasses on the internet are also jackasses in real life. Anonimity doesn't just magically turn "upstanding citizen" into "total dickwad"

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    20040319h.jpgIn all honestly, we all have to deal with it.  You think I like listening to these kids as much as you do?  Whenever I play online games, I hardly ever listen to the other people, I have a group of people to play with, and most of the rest of the time, everyone else is muted.

I think this theory is wrong. The people that are jackasses on the internet are also jackasses in real life. Anonimity doesn't just magically turn "upstanding citizen" into "total dickwad"

Have you heard of 4chan?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hate playing on LIVE for this reason. You can say, "Just play the game with a select group of friends!" But how can you make friends when it seems 99% on LIVE are complete jibbering buffoons? When has civility become unpopular?

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    20040319h.jpg

True but I think the annonymity and lack of real life repercussions provides a pretty inviting mouthpiece for douchebags who normally are less vocal about their assholery. But this is version of the theory is less catchy for a 3 panel comic.

Underdog on
  • Options
    HK5HK5 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It doesn't really have anything to do with being a girl, it has everything to do with them being trolls. If you weren't there, they'd be calling some guy a mexican jew lizard or whatever. Being sensitive about it ensures that guys will continue to spew that kind of filth because man do they love a good reaction to their idiocy. Treat them like they don't exist and eventually they won't.

HK5 on