As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OMNOMNOM on] Dawn of War 2: Realistic Nids!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »
    epictuna wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    EDIT: Nids = too much like zerg, imo.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

I sure did. I've read my share of WH:40k fiction. 'Nids and Zerg are nigh interchangeable. I guess every space fiction needs its unstoppable swarm enemy, amirite?

Your survival for the next 5 minutes depends of the correct answer of the following question...

Who came first?

Here's a hint

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Difference between Zerg and Tyranids is that:

Tyranids mimic technology.

Zerg don't.

This is ignoring the whole drama who copied who.

EDIT: The vent server is full : (

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, they nerfed nids finally, I gather?

Is it like "they're still pretty good, but its fair", or "you're the new eldar"?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    So, they nerfed nids finally, I gather?

Is it like "they're still pretty good, but its fair", or "you're the new eldar"?

Nope, Croak said last thread any balance patches will come out early April at the earliest...

However, there might be a beta for the patch, and he might tell us how to get in it...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ant000 wrote: »
    In the campaign, there's a tech marine who goes: "We don't have the technology to make these array things anymore" (quoting him verbatim, naturally :P).

What's that about? How do you have all these crazy intersteller ships and space marines and yet can't make some new radar stations?

<- (completely Warhammer illiterate).

it's a dark age of technology, they can't recreate a lot of things that they used to be able to make so they kind of have to just keep the old stuff up and running as best they can.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    epictunaepictuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

I sure did. I've read my share of WH:40k fiction. 'Nids and Zerg are nigh interchangeable. I guess every space fiction needs its unstoppable swarm enemy, amirite?

Your survival for the next 5 minutes depends of the correct answer of the following question...

Who came first?

If I didn't know that I wouldn't have posted in the first place.

And yes, I know that 'nids mimic technology BUT at the same time they're still an insect-like scourge race that goes around om nom noming people/planets.

Still. 'Nids win between the two, if you ask me. They don't need more vespene gas.

epictuna on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBOXLIVE Gamertag - Otter Greenhat
    EpicDuel IGN - BigTuna
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Who came first?

And yes, I know that 'nids mimic technology BUT at the same time they're still an insect-like scourge race that goes around om nom noming people/planets.

Still. 'Nids win between the two, if you ask me. They don't need more vespene gas.

Do you know? DO YOU?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    when are they gonna put kroot in the game

I love you.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    3clipse wrote: »

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Who came first?

Do you know? DO YOU?

I'd better tell you. I don't want one of you singing the song that ends the earth any time soon.
    TYRANIDS!

BTW, has anyone in here ever played the tabletop version?

epictuna on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    EpicDuel IGN - BigTuna
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Who came first?

Well then you obviously realise that your original statement is ass-backwards then?

EDIT: Beta patch... any word on when that might kick off?

Docken on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some WoW group has a full raid it in vent. Fucking things up.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, I'm fully aware of Warhammer coming first, the tabletop history, etc. Still, as a long time Blizzard fan who's never played any Warhammer games I couldn't help it that
    My first thoughts in campaign were "so apparently I'm playing as Terrans again, fighting the Zerg and the illegitimate children of some Protoss and Elves. Also Orcs are here, for some inexplicable reason."

Also the idea of getting zerged by Tyranid armies just cracks me up.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Docken wrote: »

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Who came first?

Well then you obviously realise that you original statement is ass-backwards then?

No, because I wasn't referring to them on their fictional timeline. I was referring to the two races on their PC Strategy game release timeline. In which case the 'nids are too much like the zerg. It's that "swarm them!" play style that I don't really dig.

epictuna on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    EpicDuel IGN - BigTuna
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And once again the [strike]Protoss[/strike] Eldar want to incinerate the planet to stop the [strike]Zerg[/strike] Tyranids
    It was a slightly unfortunate choice of plot in that respect, though Scorched Earth tactics are hardly licensed.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Who came first?

Well then you obviously realise that you original statement is ass-backwards then?

No, because I wasn't referring to them on their fictional timeline. I was referring to the two races on their PC Strategy game release timeline. In which case the 'nids are too much like the zerg. It's that "swarm them!" play style that I don't really dig.

That makes no sense at all... are you suggesting that a swarm army should not, you know, swarm?

You realise that the 'PC' timeline is based off the TT right? That their strategy in DOWII is based off their strategy (and fluff) of the TT right?

I mean, if the 'Nids were some kind of turtling army in TT then you might have a point, but since they are a swarm army in TT, it sounds kind of ridiculous that they should not continue this in DOWII...

Docken on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Who came first?

Well, there's really no way to get around at least presenting that play style: Tyranids (as I understand from TT, I've never played as nids TT but I have some and I talked to some Tyranid players) can either go for swarms of lesser units, backed up by some of their better troops, or they can have some (I.E. much less but still a lot) of their swarming units, and use a BUNCH of elite units. And you can make them highly specialized.

Plus really, fluff wise, Tyranids are widely known to throw wave upon wave of Gaunts at their foes, JUST TO EXPEND THEIR AMMUNITION.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Bethryn wrote: »
    And once again the [strike]Protoss[/strike] Eldar want to incinerate the planet to stop the [strike]Zerg[/strike] Tyranids
    It was a slightly unfortunate choice of plot in that respect, though Scorched Earth tactics are hardly licensed.
    The plot was kinda silly because
    I think Eldar might be smart enough to go "Oh, it's their home world, maybe they would aid us in killing the tyranids instead of just trying to blow them all up."

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    The plot was kinda silly because I think Eldar might be smart enough to go
    "Oh, it's their home world, maybe they would aid us in killing the tyranids instead of just trying to blow them all up."

That's what happens when Irandel leads your warparty instead of Taldeer.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hate the capital spire map, because people just put up d-cannons or plasma devs. across the river. It's very annoying. I tried to go from the bottom and flank their units, which was long enough to distract and disrupt them so my ally could cap that vp point, however after I had to retreat all they did was replenish those units lost and they where back at it. All match.

Ended up losing that match because my allies couldn't capture the top vp point while I was trying to secure the middle and bottom points.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The city map turns into an artillery fight.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think Eldar might be smart enough to go "Oh, it's their home world, maybe they would aid us in killing the tyranids instead of just trying to blow them all up."
    Or, you know, they could have just blown up the planet in the first place instead of trying all this "slow them down with orks" shit. I mean seriously, how hard can it be for an advanced civilization of aliens to sterilize a planet? I mean, honestly? They have ways to go from one side of the galaxy to another, store massive fleets inside of their craftworlds using what is essentially infinite space that is within the craftworld but NOT, and they can summon shards of an ancient war god to fight for them, but they can't blow up/kill everything on the surface of one fucking planet? The Imperium does this shit all the time, to their OWN planets, how can Eldar somehow not? I mean, aren't humans supposed to be like a bunch of monkeys compared to the Eldar? They should be able to destroy/ kill a planet if they really needed too, and something tells me that they probably could.

So, they really shouldn't have gone with the "blow it up" angle at all, since that isn't just POSSIBLE, but even for the Imperium blowing up planets in the face of a Tyranid Hive Fleet is one of their main strategies. I mean true, the Blood Ravens wouldn't do so. It still doesn't change the fact that yes, the Eldar should have been smart enough to ask the Blood Ravens for help. The Imperium knows that the Eldar can be on again off again allies, and usually gladly accept even THEIR help in the face of the Tyranids. The IoM is all about the lesser evils, Amirite?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Imperium? What about the chapter that has Gabriel fuckin' Angelos the Eldar lover as a high ranking guy? Irandel is the worst commander since whoever was the last terrible leader.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Imperium? What about the chapter that has Gabriel fuckin' Angelos the Eldar lover as a high ranking guy? Irandel is the worst commander since whoever was the last terrible leader.

To be fair, Craftworld Ulthwe hasn't had the best experiences with the Blood Ravens, what with Kronus and all.

It's Biel-Tan that has seemed to have continually good relations with the chapter.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Or, you know, they could have just blown up the planet in the first place instead of trying all this "slow them down with orks" shit. I mean seriously, how hard can it be for an advanced civilization of aliens to sterilize a planet? I mean, honestly? They have ways to go from one side of the galaxy to another, store massive fleets inside of their craftworlds using what is essentially infinite space that is within the craftworld but NOT, and they can summon shards of an ancient war god to fight for them, but they can't blow up/kill everything on the surface of one fucking planet? The Imperium does this shit all the time, to their OWN planets, how can Eldar somehow not? I mean, aren't humans supposed to be like a bunch of monkeys compared to the Eldar? They should be able to destroy/ kill a planet if they really needed too, and something tells me that they probably could.

So, they really shouldn't have gone with the "blow it up" angle at all, since that isn't just POSSIBLE, but even for the Imperium blowing up planets in the face of a Tyranid Hive Fleet is one of their main strategies. I mean true, the Blood Ravens wouldn't do so. It still doesn't change the fact that yes, the Eldar should have been smart enough to ask the Blood Ravens for help. The Imperium knows that the Eldar can be on again off again allies, and usually gladly accept even THEIR help in the face of the Tyranids. The IoM is all about the lesser evils, Amirite?
    I think the Eldar wanted the Tyranids to stop and have lunch so they could move a craftworld or something. Glassing the planet would just make them go for the Eldar.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I think the Eldar wanted the Tyranids to stop and have lunch so they could move a craftworld or something. Glassing the planet would just make them go for the Eldar.
    As I understand it, the Hive Fleet was headed towards Ulthwe, intentionally or not. If I remember correctly, but I'm not the Eldar buff here so I could be wrong, Ulthwe is in orbit around the eye of terror, and they can't really move it much... I could be wrong though

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Isn't it in the path of an exodite homeworld? They need to win, not buy time.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

To be fair, Craftworld Ulthwe hasn't had the best experiences with the Blood Ravens, what with Kronus and all.

It's Biel-Tan that has seemed to have continually good relations with the chapter.

As chronicled in Battle Brothers 6: Consorting with Xenos

Spindrift on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Isn't it in the path of an exodite homeworld? They need to win, not buy time.

Irandel says she's trying to protect the craftworld.

Ulthwe is in orbit around the Eye of Terror and I'm not sure how mobile it is at this point. Craftworlds don't exactly move at high speed or anything either.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pfft.
    Idranel stirs up an Ork uprising so that the Blood Ravens will send a strike force to their recruiting worlds. That way, the Space Marines are present in some force when the Tyranids arrive. Then she sabotages the Foundry to get them to stay on at Angel Gate and discover their Chapter Relics the Governor had stolen. She foresaw that she and her force would die there - as the Warlock says when you meet him in the fifth mission - but she deemed it a worthwhile sacrifice in order to stop the Tyranids.

Just. As. Planned.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Eldar have beaten the Tyranids when they directly invaded a Craftworld before. It cost them horrifically and did almost unrepairable damage, but they certainly can fight (despite being pansies).

They just act irreversibly stupid in this game.

Then again, it's worth pointing out in 40k terms everyone acts irreversibly stupid in many ways.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Eldar have beaten the Tyranids when they directly invaded a Craftworld before. It cost them horrifically and did almost unrepairable damage, but they certainly can fight (despite being pansies).

And then Relic released an expansion that added wraithguard and had a campaign starring that craftworld.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

And then Relic released an expansion that added wraithguard and had a campaign starring that craftworld.

I imagine that if an Iyanden expansion is released, I will be able to hear you creaming your jeans from however many states away you are.

On another note, an Eye of Terror campaign would be awesome (with IG, of course). The battles from the summer TT campaign were epic.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pfft.
    Idranel stirs up an Ork uprising so that the Blood Ravens will send a strike force to their recruiting worlds. That way, the Space Marines are present in some force when the Tyranids arrive. Then she sabotages the Foundry to get them to stay on at Angel Gate and discover their Chapter Relics the Governor had stolen. She foresaw that she and her force would die there - as the Warlock says when you meet him in the fifth mission - but she deemed it a worthwhile sacrifice in order to stop the Tyranids.

Just. As. Planned.
    Except that completely isn't true since the eldar get raped a couple dozen times inbetween that just trying to fight the space marines.

And several of those events don't have anything to do with eldar at all.

You can't honestly tell me that the eldar would actually sacrifice hundreds of their own kind just so that there would be a few more space marines. A plan that could be easily accomplished by just communicating with them. As just said Gabriel Angelos is known throughout the eldar as a symbol of hope for them so you can't honestly think that they would do all this shit instead of just going "Oh they there is a hive fleet you might wanna do something bout that."

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A DoW2 thread is the last thing I would expect to lead me into a Tropes Trap.

I blame the 'nids.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MedanMedan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow it takes awhile to level up... just hit Rank 17 and 22 TrueSkill, but its getting progressively longer.

I don't know how people are already over 200 games, especially in lieu of the limited maps.

Need more maps!

Medan on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Where did everyone go? I was sitting in vent watching The Daily Show hoping to get a game and all you fucks just up and disappeared. Someone come play 3v3 with me.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So a thought occurred to me just now:

Telling Tyranids not to spam Warriors (be they AG, BS, VC, whatever) is like telling Marines not to spam Tac Squads. They fulfill the same role: there's not many of them, but they're tough as nails and can do a lot of damage, and they're expensive (Tac squads cost more req, Warriors cost power).

Yeah, Warriors give synapse, but they also deal damage and a knockdown when even one of them dies, and they're not *that* resilient. AG Warriors do too much damage right now, yeah, but Warriors are still our main unit. Plus, they don't have ATSKNF to keep them alive when the shit hits the fan.

So...yeah. Unless SM players can't spam tac squads in addition to their random vehicle or assault squad, Nid players have no reason not to spam warriors in addition to their random zoanthrope or carnifex.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What's considered Warriors spam? I usually make 2 or 3 at most in a game. One AG, one Stranger and maybe another AG. The rest are hormos, zoans, rippers, spore mines and the eventual carnifex.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I imagine that if an Iyanden expansion is released, I will be able to hear you creaming your jeans from however many states away you are.

What sort of cream are we talking about here? And why would it be in my jeans?
    On another note, an Eye of Terror campaign would be awesome (with IG, of course). The battles from the summer TT campaign were epic.

IG? You mean Iybraesil, right?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

What sort of cream are we talking about here? And why would it be in my jeans?

The kind that makes you SCREAM. You're smart, you can figure it out.

IG? You mean Iybraesil, right?

Sure, he/she/it can come too! But also Cadians.

Give me my stormtroopers, goddamnit

3cl1ps3 on