As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pro Wrestling]ZZ TOP HOSTS RAW NEXT WEEK! Night of Champions July 26th!

LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In CyberspaceThe Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/articles/9678798/10853082

To paraphrase one of ZZ Top’s classic tunes, they’re bad, they’re nationwide … and now, their hosting the next edition of Monday Night Raw!

Tune in Monday night to catch ZZ Top’s guitar greats, Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill, creators of such indelible hits as “La Grange,” “Legs” and “Sleeping Bag,” as they join other pop culture luminaries Donald Trump and actor/producer Seth Green as Raw’s latest celebrity guest hosts.

Tune in Monday night to find out what the ZZ Top twosome have hidden under their beards for the Raw roster.

Where To Watch Wrestling:
WWE(all times listed are for USA, AFAIK):
     RAW - Monday night at 9pm on USA.
     ECW - Tuesday night at 9pm on SciFi.
     Superstars - Thursday night at 8pm on WGN(Check your Local Listings).
     Smackdown - Friday night at 9pm on MyNetworkTV(Check Your Local Listings).
     PPV's - Sunday nights, usually once a month, at 5pm only on Pay-Per-View.

TNA
     Impact - Thursday night at 9pm on SPIKE! TV.
     PPV's - Sunday nights, once a month, at 5pm only on Pay-Per-View.

Ring of Honor
     RoH Wrestling - Saturday night at 8pm on HDNET.
     PPV's - No real schedule for them.

BOTCHAMANIA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya3IxMghOn4

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
Legacy on

• SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can't have a wrestling thread without the latest edition of Botchamania!

Botchamania 70

Fixed!

Skittlebrau on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm really only interested in two of those matches. Three, if Mark Henry gets injured and can't be there.

I try to be a good person, but sometimes I can't help but wish semi-permanent injury by someone I think should not be stinkin' up my fake violent entertainment. I am therefore a monster.

Shadowen on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish they would have an actual women's title match instead of a battle royal. Like Maryse vs. Melina, or a Beth/Melina blowoff, or something.

LockedOnTarget on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish they would have an actual women's title match instead of a battle royal. Like Maryse vs. Melina, or a Beth/Melina blowoff, or something.

Same here. And there's no real reason why Bourne, Rhodes, DiBiase, Morrison, Miz or a few other people aren't in MITB. Rargh.

Anyone hear the latest?
    JBL vs Kozlov for the IC Title

And maybe JBL's Retirement.

My friend who loves JBL isn't too happy to hear about that.

Legacy on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So not looking forward to seeing Henry in the MITB match. Kane, I don't know, I guess maybe he could be alright but probably not.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My money is on MVP to take the MITB, He's personally the guy I'd like to see with it but the instant classic might pull an upset. Which wouldn't be bad but I would think that Cage wouldn't be in dire need of "main event" status as of yet.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I dunno. I'm almost in Kofi's corner. MVP...maybe. I dunno if they'd give Christian that quite yet. He just lost twice to Swagger...

Legacy on
    edited March 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    Yeah, I dunno. I'm almost in Kofi's corner. MVP...maybe. I dunno if they'd give Christian that quite yet. He just lost twice to Swagger...

Assuming that they put the ECW title on Christian in the near future, I would count him out on winning MITB. That said, CM Punk is a favorite in many circles to win the MITB again as he's the only one the truly stands out as "world champ" material, MVP notwithstanding.

Personally, and this is just me, I would love to see Mr. Kennedy come back as like a surprise entrant. That would be awesome.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited March 2009
    Edge drops title when Cena pins/submits Bigshow. Edge takes out Kofi, takes his spot in MITB, and wins it. Then he takes on Cena at the end of the show and wins. Cue Edge/Kofi feud over the title.

Doubt it would happen but I'd love it.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited March 2009
    evilbob wrote: »
    Edge drops title when Cena pins/submits Bigshow. Edge takes out Kofi, takes his spot in MITB, and wins it. Then he takes on Cena at the end of the show and wins. Cue Edge/Kofi feud over the title.

It'd basicly be the same thing that happened at NWO. Not that I'm ragging on it but from Kofi's stand point I'd be like "What the fuck? Two PPVs in a row! Can't a black man catch a break in this business?!"

On that note, I believe we officially have the most black superstars in MITB, or any match ever. Feel free to correct me on that.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited March 2009
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »

It'd basicly be the same thing that happened at NWO. Not that I'm ragging on it but from Kofi's stand point I'd be like "What the fuck? Two PPVs in a row! Can't a black man catch a break in this business?!"

Well yeah that's the point. Kofi finally gets pissed off and has a massive feud with Edge because he screwed him over twice.

At the very least it would be better for Kofi than winning the last MITB was for Punk.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited March 2009

Assuming that they put the ECW title on Christian in the near future, I would count him out on winning MITB. That said, CM Punk is a favorite in many circles to win the MITB again as he's the only one the truly stands out as "world champ" material, MVP notwithstanding.

Yeah, but with him winning it and then them floundering his run as champ, I don't think they'll give it right back to him. Maybe next year. Because he lost his belt this week, I bet he'll get real close to winning, but someone will take it before he does.

And that other Kofi theory...sounds like my theories. :D That'd be fun.

Legacy on
    edited March 2009

Yeah, but with him winning it and then them floundering his run as champ, I don't think they'll give it right back to him. Maybe next year. Because he lost his belt this week, I bet he'll get real close to winning, but someone will take it before he does.

JBL being the intercontinental champion can only do wonderful things for that belt. Maybe he'll get into a feud with Regal and have some old school wrestling bouts. That'd be awesome. :D

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited March 2009

JBL being the intercontinental champion can only do wonderful things for that belt. Maybe he'll get into a feud with Regal and have some old school wrestling bouts. That'd be awesome. :D

That's what my friend says. But...next week is HBK & Undertaker vs JBL & Kozlov.
    Some people(me included) think that might point to JBL vs Kozlov, but that'd be too much of a logical conclusion.

JBL has also said he's going to 'make history' at Wrestlemania. And a lot of people have been talking about how he's been talking(behind the scenes) about retiring.

Legacy on
    edited March 2009
    To a certain degree, I want to say "Fuck KoZlov." But there's a part of me that knows his real background and can't help but think how awesome it would be if he used it. Talk about a dominance factor; that man could beat the hell out of anyone.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited March 2009
    And that other Kofi theory...sounds like my theories. :D That'd be fun.
    My alternate Kofi theory:

Kofi wins MITB.
    Edge heads out for his title match but gets jumped Kofi with a chair.
    Kofi throws him into the ring, cashes in MITB and pins him, then takes his spot as champion in the triple threat. Hooray revenge.

I think I prefer the first one though. Depending on what his mic skills are like he should be able to put together some decent promos given that Edge has won the title twice in as many months by taking his opportunities.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I'm really only interested in two of those matches. Three, if Mark Henry gets injured and can't be there.

I try to be a good person, but sometimes I can't help but wish semi-permanent injury by someone I think should not be stinkin' up my fake violent entertainment. I am therefore a monster.

I don't watch anymore but I always secretly hope Triple H gets crippled so other people can have a chance.

If he ever got Droz'd I would feel pretty bad but seriously - he needs to GTFO and let more talented have some time in the spotlight.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe they will do something at WM with the both the tag team belts, as Miz & Morrison and The Colons (which o doe sthe ` go over?) are feuding. Its most likely wishful thinking as whenver they have had the belts at WM in the past few years they were the opening match or so.
    So is JBL trying to retire at WM to upshot Rick Flair's retirement at WM? From everything I've heard from him as a person it wouldn't surprise me. On the topic of JBL, I need to find the article that talks about him getting punched out by Joey Styles while they were doing their Christmas with the troops thing.

So, have the writers just simply given up on even trying to figure out a character before ditching them? Kizarny lasted on SmackDown, what, 2 months or so? I don't remember him having more than 2 matches, and now he's gone.

Also, I still have most of the last thread to go through, but why did thee WWE just completely ditch their cruiserweight division? If it was honestly for that stupid Diva championship I'm gonna be very unhappy.

KurnDerak on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Also, I still have most of the last thread to go through, but why did thee WWE just completely ditch their cruiserweight division? If it was honestly for that stupid Diva championship I'm gonna be very unhappy.

There was a year between the Cruiserweight title being vacated (after Hornswoggle won it a couple of months earlier) and the Divas title debuting. So, probably not related. I'm guessing they just ran out of people they wanted to spend TV time on that could compete for it. The last match for it featured Chavo, Jimmy Yang Wang, Funaki, Shannon Moore, Jamie Noble and Hornswoggle. If that's your division...

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited March 2009
    Well, the shape that the cruiserweight division was in when it ended was pretty meh. There wasn't much seperating it from the other wrestlers as there was very little cruiserweight style stuff that they were allowed to do. Though honestly it does really suck for all the people in the cruiserweight division that I'm pretty sure are shit out of luck now because without that belt there isn't much of a draw for them. I do miss it but it seems that the title just got unceremoniously tossed aside. I remember Vickie stripping Hornswoggle of the title, then nothing about it ever since.

The only thing I could think of that made sense at the time was that they wanted to push more of the Diva division on SD and didn't want to have any more titles so they ditched one. And if it is because they didn't have enough people in the cruiserweight division that they wanted to spend enough time on for the title then I think they only have themselves to blame for how they had their cruiserweight division set up.

KurnDerak on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Vince really just never got behind the division and the cruiserweights. Rey Mysterio is the rare exception and they briefly tried building the division around him but gave up with their plans as usual.

Anyone going to be going to Wrestlemania this year?

Kyougu on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, I am creating Chris Redfield (RE5) and Sheva Olimar in Fire Pro. Go me.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still think they should have built the division around Sugar Shane Helms, that man is awesome.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I still think they should have built the division around Sugar Shane Helms, that man is awesome.

Well, hadn't he been the cruiserweight champ for a while before he had to have his neck fused? I think they had it built up slightly, but when he left is when they decided to axe it.

They should bring it back, though, now that they have a decent amount of great small guys, like Evan Bourne, and now that Helms is back...

Legacy on
  • gijohn13gijohn13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    heres botchamania 70 reuploaded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VigikGwUCZ8

gijohn13 on
    Brawl code 1118-1722-8514
    3ds code: 1779 0686 9264
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Well, hadn't he been the cruiserweight champ for a while before he had to have his neck fused? I think they had it built up slightly, but when he left is when they decided to axe it.

They should bring it back, though, now that they have a decent amount of great small guys, like Evan Bourne, and now that Helms is back...

I had no idea he got hurt, damn that sucks. The problem with trying to build the divison back up is that it would just keep those guys below mid card even more. ECW's belt is more of what the cruiserweight belt was about anyway, (new guy belt) if only they'd fire fat mark henry and get rid of Finlay.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The thing about a crusierweight division is that all the wrestlers that you could fit into that category are as charismatic as a piece of wood. They need a couple of guys that can hold the division and make it interesting enough to watch the feuds.

WCW had Jericho, Eddie, and Rey, but all those guys are now too "big" to slum it in the CW division.

Then there's the fact WWE has been hyping a safer style. So the less charismatic guys can't even get over by doing stupid stunts like Jeff Hardy was able to.

noir_blood on
    edited March 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    The thing about a crusierweight division is that all the wrestlers that you could fit into that category are as charismatic as a piece of wood. They need a couple of guys that can hold the division and make it interesting enough to watch the feuds.

WCW had Jericho, Eddie, and Rey, but all those guys are now too "big" to slum it in the CW division.

Then there's the fact WWE has been hyping a safer style. So the less charismatic guys can't even get over by doing stupid stunts like Jeff Hardy was able to.

Yeah my problem with the PG rating is that the action looks really subdued. I mean it doesn't have to be bloody or anything, but I haven't had a "Holy SHIT!" moment in a while.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2009
    I didn't think it was directly the whole PG thing they were pushing that killed a lot of the big crazy moves. I thought it was because Vince just went over protective of his wrest... I mean Superstars that they now have to pass any new move or stunt past him and that anything that might be too dangerous just gets axed. Thats why I didn't like the cruiserweight division much just before it got canned, though I do sort of miss it because Divas on two shows is just boring me.

Shane Helms had the title for longer then JBL had the heavyweight title I believe, but they never really did anything with him. They even decided to play on the fact that they more or less hid their cruiserweight division by having JBL on comentary keep stating that he was SmackDown's biggest start and that they just kept hiding him away.

And yea, in the WWE all of the cruiserweights were really small, so I don't even know if by WWE standards if Eddie or Jericho could have been in the division. Eddie could really do cruiserweight stuff pretty well, or for his size, do a power game/mat wrestling on someone smaller. And he was so damn charismatic.

On another topic, there was one thing that they "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal (For those of you who don't know, for the past year and a half or two years Jay lethal has been a Macho Man Randy Savage impersonator for his character...) he started falling into Ric Flair briefly as he threw off his coat and started to strut. It made me laugh... and its sad that that is about the only thing TNA has done well in about the past half a year or so were those 7 or 8 seconds.

KurnDerak on
    edited March 2009
    Ugh, don't get me started on the how stupid Black Machismo is.

For a while they had a Stone Cold imitator and a Randy Savage imitator in the same show. Only in TNA.

Kyougu on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Now if they were all played by Charlie Haas, it'd be gold.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited March 2009
    Shark Boy as a Stone Cold imitator is still around, he just isn't on TV anymore it seems. The story leading up to it and then him as Stone Cold Shark Boy was funny at first, but it got so old so fast.

One thing I'm curious about is if Vince Russo is still working for TNA or not? I know he went there for awhile at least, but I don't know if he's still there or not. And to be honest, if they haven't fired him or he hasn't left... they honestly do not listen to the fans at all. Around a year and a half ago it was a match between Team 3-D and LAX I think in an electrified steel cage match. When the crowd chants "Fire Russo" during the match, you need to get the hint.

Also, crowd chants can be so damn awesome.

Edit: I loved some of those Charlie Haas moments with him coming out as some random person. I guess they got bored with it after a month.

KurnDerak on
    edited March 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Shark Boy as a Stone Cold imitator is still around, he just isn't on TV anymore it seems. The story leading up to it and then him as Stone Cold Shark Boy was funny at first, but it got so old so fast.

One thing I'm curious about is if Vince Russo is still working for TNA or not? I know he went there for awhile at least, but I don't know if he's still there or not. And to be honest, if they haven't fired him or he hasn't left... they honestly do not listen to the fans at all. Around a year and a half ago it was a match between Team 3-D and LAX I think in an electrified steel cage match. When the crowd chants "Fire Russo" during the match, you need to get the hint.

Also, crowd chants can be so damn awesome.

The best was when MSG turned on Lita and chanted "Slut" and "We want Matt."

I never been able to track down a video of it though, which sucks.

Kyougu on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Was that when she almost started to cry? When Matt was first fired and they were ignoring it completely?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited March 2009
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Was that when she almost started to cry? When Matt was first fired and they were ignoring it completely?

Yeah. It was amazing to watch, and I always wanted to rewatch it. You could tell both her and Trish were really thrown off by it.

Kyougu on
  • gijohn13gijohn13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Favourite chants

To Orton: GO FUCK CENA and YOU GOT BITCHSLAPPED

and also to RVD and (forget other wrestler) during a submission hold: BREAK HIS LEGS

gijohn13 on
    Brawl code 1118-1722-8514
    3ds code: 1779 0686 9264
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I loved when chants would start up, especially at the times when I took part of them myself. I remember a really good "Holy Shit" starting up during the Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon match during King of the Ring 2001 . Man, that was a fun PPV to be at.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's been brought up before I think, but my favorite crowd was also MSG, the wrestlemania that had Goldber vs. Brock. With special referee Steve Austin.

It's funny to think that a year, or even six months before, this would have been a headliner of epic proportions that people were clamoring for. By the time that WM rolled around, everyone in the audience knew(or quickly caught on) that both wrestlers were leaving the company.

I seriously felt bad for both guys.

Edit- That king of the ring match was cringe worthy. Especially when Angle's trying to suplex shane into the glass panes and has to keep trying.

noir_blood on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cringe worthy bad? Maybe it was because I was just a kid and didn't know any better, but I thought it was a good match...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I can tell I was such a kid when I watched wrestling.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited March 2009
    I think cringe worthy as in "I think Shane is dead" kind of cringe.

Kyougu on
This discussion has been closed.