As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Band of Brothers II: Pacific Thunderer

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's true. America did fuck all in North Africa

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    doesn't a decent bit of Patton take place in North Africa?

Scudo on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, a miniseries about the Pacific Theater is going to be so damn depressing. Or at least more depressing than the tone set in other war films/series. Portrayals of the European theater always has that shakespearean ride into battle men forward to victory. The Pacific theater is all fuck fuck fuck where the fuck are they shooting from oh god hundreds of thousands of casualties and we haven't even gotten halfway up the beach. Like Saving Private Ryan vs. A Thin Red Line.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Its a shame that there are really no good Eastern Front films ever

except maybe Stalingrad, which is a German film. I wish they made http://russschneider.net/bk_siege.html this into a movie

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wasn't A Thin Red Line in the European Theater?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Scudo wrote: »
    doesn't a decent bit of Patton take place in North Africa?

yeah but patton just sort of glosses over the various battles and such, the sicily campaign is literally a mule and a shellshocked soldier

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Veretas wrote: »
    Wasn't A Thin Red Line in the European Theater?

n-n-no

does the word Guadalcanal mean anything to you? or Japanese?

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    See, that's why I'm glad they are using With the Old Breed in their source material. It's a book written from the perspective of Eugene Sledge, who was just a grunt. You don't see many books like that. He talks more about the emotional toll of war than how many thousands of casualties the japanese tactics caused.

I think it makes for a way more interesting story.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry I haven't seen that movie in forever

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    s'okay bro

i love george clooney in that movie, he's in there for two seconds flat but its a very good 2 seconds

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked Enemy at the Gates despite it's shortcomings. They could have done better by drawing from Zaystev's book entirely and not bringing in the fictional bullshit from War of the Rats.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm surprised the Pacific Theatre isn't touched on nearly as much as the European one was. I mean it was JUST America in that. Well and Australia too but still.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There are plenty of movies about the Pacific theater. It's just most of them were made between 1945 and 1960.

Like Bataan and Midway and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo and A Wing and Prayer and Objective Burma

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    See, that's why I'm glad they are using With the Old Breed in their source material. It's a book written from the perspective of Eugene Sledge, who was just a grunt. You don't see many books like that. He talks more about the emotional toll of war than how many thousands of casualties the japanese tactics caused.

I wonder because Spielberg and Hanks are working on it what sort of themes will carry through. I mean Band of Brothers was incredibly one sided in its portrayal of Germany and its soldiers, and its even easier to do that with the Japanese because it's a completely alien culture.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There are plenty of movies about the Pacific theater. It's just most of them were made between 1945 and 1960.

Like Bataan and Midway

Would Tora Tora Tora! count?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Like Bataan and Midway

Eh.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »

I wonder because Spielberg and Hanks are working on it what sort of themes will carry through. I mean Band of Brothers was incredibly one sided in its portrayal of Germany and its soldiers, and its even easier to do that with the Japanese because it's a completely alien culture.
    Not really, no. Primarily there was a sense of fear because they were still the enemy and would probably shoot you under most circumstances, but the scene with Malarkey and the German soldier from his hometown showed some camraderie and likeness between the two sides, and the German general's surrender in the final episode depicted the Germans as soldiers who valued honor. I wouldn't say it was one-sided at all.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    msuitepyon wrote: »

Like Bataan and Midway

Eh.

Only if you can count From Here to Eternity

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Not really, no. Primarily there was a sense of fear because they were still the enemy and would probably shoot you under most circumstances, but the scene with Malarkey and the German soldier from his hometown showed some camraderie and likeness between the two sides, and the German general's surrender in the final episode depicted the Germans as soldiers who valued honor. I wouldn't say it was one-sided at all.

Yeah that's true, I guess I was thinking more of Saving Private Ryan, which in the words of Paul Fussell is garbage after the first ten minutes as an historical movie. As blood and guts, its good.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, SPR was pretty one-sided for sure, and crap for history. :P

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Taken from the viewpoint of the main characters, they should be one sided. They didn't have the luxury of being able to see the whole picture. They were a bunch of kids sent to a foreign country where everybody was trying to kill them. Doesn't make for the best cultural impression.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yeah that's true, I guess I was thinking more of Saving Private Ryan, which in the words of Paul Fussell is garbage after the first ten minutes as an historical movie. As blood and guts, its good.

The hell with 10 minutes. It stops being historically accurate the minute someone gets more than 10 feet up the beach within a minute of stepping off their landing craft.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Taken from the viewpoint of the main characters, they should be one sided. They didn't have the luxury of being able to see the whole picture. They were a bunch of kids sent to a foreign country where everybody was trying to kill them. Doesn't make for the best cultural impression.
    I took "one-sided" as meaning "one-dimensional".

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ahh. I took it as biased. Carry on good sir.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Band of Brothers on blu-ray is a sight to behold. Thankfully they shot the whole thing in film, so they just took a repressing of the original print and stuck that up on some indestuctable plastic discs.

It's absolutely beautiful in places, and gut-crushingly gory in others.

good now i have to buy it on bluray

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    good now I have to buy a bluray player...

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    i actually kinda liked enemy at the gates. though the random rachel weisz sex scene in a roomful of sleeping soldiers was a tad uncomfortable and grody

There only bad Rachel Weisz sex scenes are the ones that don't happen.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want to see how they do Iwo Jima

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm surprised the Pacific Theatre isn't touched on nearly as much as the European one was. I mean it was JUST America in that. Well and Australia too but still.

Never seen Bridge on the River Kwai, eh?

That's cool.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Thin Red Line is a much better movie than it is a book.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Stalingrad is a good Russian front movie.

Also, A Midnight Clear is a good book and movie.

bombardier on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TOJO IN THE BUSHES!

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Band of Brothers is the greatest thing to ever be put on a screen. If you disagree with this statement then well you don't deserve to live.

FUCCCCCKKKKK

YESSSSSS

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man. These guys really love that old World War 2 a whole lot.

Walrus on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think they love filming beach scenes even more.

I have nothing against this mini-series though. If my PS3 weren't broke I'd be watching the hell out of Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck, you want to make a movie about some real hardcore shit make it about the battle of Chosin Reservoir, Goddamnit. The Korean War needs more attention especially as the men who actually fought in that conflict are slowly dwindling away.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck, you want to make a movie about some real hardcore shit make it about the battle of Chosin Reservoir, Goddamnit. The Korean War needs more attention especially as the men who actually fought in that conflict are slowly dwindling away.

chesty-1.jpg

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'm sorry, what war? I forgot.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Band of Brothers on blu-ray is a sight to behold. Thankfully they shot the whole thing in film, so they just took a repressing of the original print and stuck that up on some indestuctable plastic discs.

It's absolutely beautiful in places, and gut-crushingly gory in others.

good now i have to buy it on bluray

it really is a must buy if you've got a BD player.

The sound is absolutely stunning. With a digital signal and a good surround system, you really get that constantly surrounded feeling that Paratroopers are all about.

most impressive of all though

you can see the film grain

#pipe on
  • Options
    MadChemistMadChemist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I served in Iraq for a year as a 21 year old kid, I know this to be true. Anytime you invade another country the troops are going to take a one sided view of whomever they perceive as the enemy.

MadChemist on