As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
TSW_poster.jpg

Official description:
Norwegian studio Funcom is working on its next massively multiplayer game, The Secret World, which will let you explore an alternate version of the modern world where old wives' tales and occult superstition have become reality and dark forces are attacking the world. Your role in the game will be to join one of three secret societies and do battle with the encroaching evil all over the world.
Imagine if every myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend was true. Imagine a world where you can become anything you want to be, without restrictions such as classes or levels. This is the premise for The Secret World, Funcom’s upcoming massively multiplayer online game set in the modern-day real world.
Join a Secret Society!

Imagine a world where entire governments are swayed by the hidden hand and word of secret societies. In The Secret World you get to join these secret societies. The Illuminati, the Dragon and the Templars – each stand united in their war against the rising darkness, but divided in their pursuit for power. What secret society you choose to join will have profound, long-lasting effects on your gameplay experience.
No Classes or Levels!

Experience a game that has no classes or levels. Truly freeform character customization allows you to create the alter-ego that you want to play. Choose from hundreds of different powers for your character without ever having to re-roll, completely eliminating the need to follow a set path of progression throughout the game. Choose the powers, the weapons and the clothing that you want to use.

Ok! So, Funcom (The very norwegian developers behind MMO's such as Age of Conan and Anarchy Online) have announced their new project.

They've sporadically released information regarding their project, which they've named "The Secret World", and all things seem to point at a supernatural MMO experience sprinkled with the the undead, crazy cults, ancient evils, boogeymen and all sorts of mythological monstrosities.

With a new game director working on this title, (the man behind Dreamfall and The Longest Journey) can we expect Funcom to actually release a hit this time?

Official Site (don't forget to sign up for beta!)
http://www.thesecretworld.com/

Viral Site;
http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

VIDEOS:

Gameplay Videos from PAX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zwWThJUxQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye-IyX656Qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAPuySimb7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yqa1hRFoYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZnHX28qQ5U

CGI:
Cool cinematic piece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dye1rTS4Rtk

Another cool cinematic piece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9BxPiAZu9E

And a third!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVbao4RSMOk

Ragnar speaks of the game
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47696.html

t5qfc9.jpg
Zzulu on

• Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember reading the viral site a couple of years ago. This was even way before AoC was in beta. Back then, it seemed to be more Lovecraftian horror in modern time and less zombie apocalypse. Also, the viral games and puzzles were pretty cool, but I haven't honestly checked into this since before then.

I really hope it'll be a fun Lovecraftian MMO.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm all for Zombies!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I also got a more chtulian vibe

but still

there are some zombie-esque and undead things there

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is amazing and awful at the same time. I have thrown this idea back and forth with a developer for over a year trying to figure out how to pull this off. D:

Direct link to the official forum: http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/

*edit*
    As for those saying they are getting a Lovecraftian vibe from this...
    TSW_poster.jpg

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    Is that road made out of cake? What the hell.

A duck! on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    With AoC failure I wonder if this game will even hit 300k at peak.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    Is that road made out of cake? What the hell.

It looks pretty good for what's likely an Alpha.

Besides, depending on how they style the rest of the graphics it could mesh well with them.

My beef with those screenshots is that for a post apocalyptic MMO, it doesn't look very...post apocalyptic.

Archonex on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well this doesn't seem to be post-apocalyptic at all. Seems heavy on the Cthulhu mythos to me.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited March 2009
    it seems more like a regular world entangled with ...strange stuff, after some kind of... event... involving...monsters and zombies and tentacles and maybe magic... and you know, stuff, I guess?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A lovecraftian MMO? Sold.

AdditionalPylons on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just made my pants explode. This better work, GOD DAMN IT THIS BETTER WORK.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    I just noticed that apparently that diner in the background appears to be enterable and has a detailed interior. So that's a plus. I can't think of a single MMO out currently with interior buildings in a modern environemnt that don't require loading zones to go into.

Also, holding off a horde of zombies from inside a diner would be pretty fucking awesome.

Archonex on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    If this is Left 4 Dead the MMO I'm so sold on it.

Echo on
    edited March 2009

Funcom has announced that it will be revealing the first concrete details on its next MMO, The Secret World, at GDC this month.

Director Ragnar Tornquist - creator of respected adventure games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall - will be meeting the press in San Francisco to "share his vision" of the game. Little is known about it at present, other than its setting, which is said to combine present-day locations with dark fantasy and ancient conspiracies.

Tornqusit recently revealed on his blog that the game's design was undergoing "big changes", and that it would not be "a WOW clone". (Our report on this led to Tornquist calling Eurogamer "the Eye of Sauron", but we won't hold it against him.)

All eyes will be on The Secret World after Funcom's Age of Conan stumbled at launch last year. We'll be at GDC, so check back in a couple of weeks for the first info.

was posted recently

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hopefully it'll have Conan's combat system

the good parts of it, at least.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    I just noticed that apparently that diner in the background appears to be enterable and has a detailed interior. So that's a plus. I can't think of a single MMO out currently with interior buildings in a modern environemnt that don't require loading zones to go into.

Also, holding off a horde of zombies from inside a diner would be pretty fucking awesome.

Does anyone know if Hellgate: London had buildings like the one described here, I feel like it might have for some reason.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Hellgate: London had buildings like the one described here, I feel like it might have for some reason.

It did, but they were pretty rare.

Echo on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do not trust

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The idea is cool, but I'm not too pleased that Funcom is handling it. AoC could have been so much better than it was...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    JamesDM wrote: »

It did, but they were pretty rare.

See, I think I remember liking that, so if this game has them, I feel like I would also like those.

JamesDM on

• firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Give funcom another chance, they fooled us by giving us a beautiful beta (the beginner area) full of voice over, quest and interaction. After everyone spent 49.99 and a few months of prepaid monthly fee, we all found out that everything outside of beginner area suck and boring.

I wouldn't try another funcom MMO until 2 months after release.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    firekiun wrote: »
    Give funcom another chance, they fooled us by giving us a beautiful beta (the beginner area) full of voice over, quest and interaction. After everyone spent 49.99 and a few months of prepaid monthly fee, we all found out that everything outside of beginner area suck and boring.

I'm just not going to try it at all. They make one MMO and it fails, so instead of trying to fix things they just move on to their next project? No thanks.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Playing an MMO at release = Tons of folks in starting newbie zone.
    Playing an MMO one year after release = More Polish but a pretty dead newbie zone.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmmm. A zombie apocalypse MMO in the kind of UD might be awesome.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The guy behind Dreamfall is behind this game. That alone has my interest.

Shabooty on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want him to be behind Dreamfall 2, damnit.

Glal on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cthulhu baby is hungry for your soul!
    Sorry, seemed somewhat appropriate.
    DSC02415.jpg

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Remember the viral stuff from a while back, hope it turns out half decent as I'm always looking for a new way to waste my time :D

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2009
    Oh great, another awesome idea that Funcom will inevitably ruin.

Unknown User on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this maybe true robot, but if you give them a good year after release they usualy pull it out and make it half way decent, at least thats their track record with Anarchy Online.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sorry but funcom isn't allowed to make new games until they go back and fix their old ones.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow that Artwork is really impressive.

Im not much of an MMOer but cthulhuness has my interest piqued.

When is GDC?

Bedlam on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    firekiun wrote: »

I'm just not going to try it at all. They make one MMO and it fails, so instead of trying to fix things they just move on to their next project? No thanks.

Considering that the technology used to make AoC was always intended to be used with The Secret World, I wouldn't call that moving on to their next project. From what I recall TSW was in development at the same time AoC was, if not before. Frankly AoC seemed more like a cash grab to fund other projects anyway. Not to say that they should just let AoC go, but I never expected anything from it.

It's not another generic fantasy game, and it's not some IP boondoggle. That's enough for me to keep an eye on it.

Magic Radio on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New IP? Interested
    Isn't stereotypical high fantasy? VERY INTERESTED

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    I've always assumed that this was Funcoms next flagship title, and AOC was a quick cash-grab using the Conan IP. Though, in AoC's defense, ever since the management "resigned" AoC has improved massively and could probably stand on it's own now if it still had the population.

I mean, prior to release one of the big selling points of the game was the original lead developer saying over and over again "IT HAS TITTIES!". Plus, they pushed AoC out the door early. For a company that seems to put out a game once in half a decade to a decade, that's not a good business strategy unless you have something big lined up.

What i'm interested in seeing is if they can optimize the engine for this game so that people who don't have cutting edge machines can play. AoC still has issues with people not being able to play because they don't meet the requirements, which, for a MMO, is terrible, even though the game itself is beautiful.

Archonex on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If any other company were behind this, I might allow my hopes to rise a smidgeon more...

Grenn on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Grenn wrote: »
    If any other company were behind this, I might allow my hopes to rise a smidgeon more...

Yeah, yknow who would be awesome to make a Cthulu inspired post apocalyptic MMO? Bill Roper and the guys who made diablo. Yeah, that would be fantastic.

Oh wait....

-SPI- on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    was hellgagte london that bad ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited March 2009
    it shriveled up and died, didn't it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Draeven wrote: »
    was hellgagte london that bad ?

I put a fair bit of hours into it but it just didnt have the same draw that diablo II had, it was also managed like crap.

I did love my marksman, pew pew pew.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
This discussion has been closed.