As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Band of Brothers II: Pacific Thunderer

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do a bunch of movies on Kursk/Kharkov, Siege of Berlin, Siege of Budapest, Siege of Leningrad, East Prussia, Vistula-Oder, Operation Market Garden, Monte Cassino, and Anzio. And Burma.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    oh hey I've been rewatching band of brothers with my roommate, who has never seen it before

weird coincidence

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Band of brothers is simply amazing.

The scenes where they discover the concentration camps get my every single time.

Blake T on
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    See, that's why I'm glad they are using With the Old Breed in their source material. It's a book written from the perspective of Eugene Sledge, who was just a grunt. You don't see many books like that. He talks more about the emotional toll of war than how many thousands of casualties the japanese tactics caused.

I think it makes for a way more interesting story.

I wonder because Spielberg and Hanks are working on it what sort of themes will carry through. I mean Band of Brothers was incredibly one sided in its portrayal of Germany and its soldiers, and its even easier to do that with the Japanese because it's a completely alien culture.
    Not really, no. Primarily there was a sense of fear because they were still the enemy and would probably shoot you under most circumstances, but the scene with Malarkey and the German soldier from his hometown showed some camraderie and likeness between the two sides, and the German general's surrender in the final episode depicted the Germans as soldiers who valued honor. I wouldn't say it was one-sided at all.

Yeah that's true, I guess I was thinking more of Saving Private Ryan, which in the words of Paul Fussell is garbage after the first ten minutes as an historical movie. As blood and guts, its good.

The hell with 10 minutes. It stops being historically accurate the minute someone gets more than 10 feet up the beach within a minute of stepping off their landing craft.

i don't understand what you're saying here because, you know, they did take the beach. by advancing up it from landing craft.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

The scenes where they discover the concentration camps get my every single time.

So well done. So damned heartbreaking. Even the run up to it where they're walking through the woods and it's so dead quiet.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    See, that's why I'm glad they are using With the Old Breed in their source material. It's a book written from the perspective of Eugene Sledge, who was just a grunt. You don't see many books like that. He talks more about the emotional toll of war than how many thousands of casualties the japanese tactics caused.

I think it makes for a way more interesting story.

I wonder because Spielberg and Hanks are working on it what sort of themes will carry through. I mean Band of Brothers was incredibly one sided in its portrayal of Germany and its soldiers, and its even easier to do that with the Japanese because it's a completely alien culture.
    Not really, no. Primarily there was a sense of fear because they were still the enemy and would probably shoot you under most circumstances, but the scene with Malarkey and the German soldier from his hometown showed some camraderie and likeness between the two sides, and the German general's surrender in the final episode depicted the Germans as soldiers who valued honor. I wouldn't say it was one-sided at all.

Yeah that's true, I guess I was thinking more of Saving Private Ryan, which in the words of Paul Fussell is garbage after the first ten minutes as an historical movie. As blood and guts, its good.

The hell with 10 minutes. It stops being historically accurate the minute someone gets more than 10 feet up the beach within a minute of stepping off their landing craft.

i don't understand what you're saying here because, you know, they did take the beach. by advancing up it from landing craft.

The movie didn't show our Time Force Soldiers from the year 3022 helping out the Allies to break the German lines. Therefor it's not historically accurate compared to the tangent earth history of Earth Gamma 2.01.

Hunter on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

So well done. So damned heartbreaking. Even the run up to it where they're walking through the woods and it's so dead quiet.

I struggle with that one too.

However, without fail, I will be crying during the scenes when they're getting ready to jump from the plane for the first time.

Being shot up, burning plane all around...yea. My grandfather was a side gunner on a bomber and had to bail twice that we know of. I can't make it through that scene without needing a break to catch my breath.

DrZiplock on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Making another film about the Eastern front would be pointless because Stalingrad already set the bar too high for how a war film should be made, especially one about the Eastern front.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    god the concentration camp episode

godddddddddd

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i mean look at those dudes on the machine guns in the boats.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    "The true story of the battle which saved Australia."

Oh, are you really so sure about that....

Yes.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    New trailer and it's amazing

DrIanMalcolm on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh my.

NotASenator on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You will note that little Timmy from Jurassic Park is in this

QuestionMarkMan on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    fuuuuck that looks good.

is it based on a specific company like Easy or what? I wanna read up.

#pipe on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    fuuuuck that looks good.

So far it looks like it's just following 3 specific soldiers. No idea whether or not they are based on real people.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just got done watching Band Of Brothers on Blu-Ray just recently. If the one big thing that does get me with that version is the bullet wooshes. They sound amazing and the way its done it did get my heartbeating a bit.

I want to see a modern take on Guadalcanal and I never seen much of any Pacific war films. The Coast Guard has a hard on for Doug Munro. So thats another reason.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    goddamnit

the watermark in the upper right corner, says ace showbiz

you totally know what I thought it said

Weaver on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a PS3 now...so I can get the blu-ray version...but I just don't have a hi-def TV

The beautiful tin box set on DVD is fine for now though :D

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So...

Did God make the Japanese too?

Bloods End on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man awesome

I love Band of Brothers

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bloods End, you should bowdlerize that post ricky-tick.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Based on both "With The Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge and "Helmet For My Pillow" by Robert Leckie, the miniseries will follow two U.S. marines who fought and lived to write books about their experiences.

DrIanMalcolm on
    edited June 2009
    Veretas wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    fuuuuck that looks good.

So far it looks like it's just following 3 specific soldiers. No idea whether or not they are based on real people.

They are.

NotASenator on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    god I love band of brothers so much

now i am hella excited

Raneados on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There's a movie on Hulu called "Return to Tarawa" where a WWII veteran goes back to Tarawa island, one of the bloodiest landings in the pacific, to hang around

It really was a fascinating idea but the execution was so-so

Helped illustrate the sheer brutality of the pacific theatre, though

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Going to be honest.

I don't know bowdlerize means.

Bloods End on
    edited June 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    There's a movie on Hulu called "Return to Tarawa" where a WWII veteran goes back to Tarawa island, one of the bloodiest landings in the pacific, to hang around

It really was a fascinating idea but the execution was so-so

Helped illustrate the sheer brutality of the pacific theatre, though

You want to see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_the_Marines_at_Tarawa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEGPnj8Pa8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1VPdIRqOek

I can't necessarily say I would consider it work safe...
    The film is in full color and uses no actors, making it a valuable historical document. The documentary showed more gruesome scenes of battle than other war films to the date; according to the documentary The War, President Roosevelt himself gave approval for showing the film anyway against the wishes of the military leaders. It give the US population at home a more realistic view of the war going as far as showing dead Marines floating in the water.

The download here is better resolution

http://www.archive.org/details/WiththeMarinesatTarawa

NotASenator on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Based on both "With The Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge and "Helmet For My Pillow" by Robert Leckie, the miniseries will follow two U.S. marines who fought and lived to write books about their experiences.

While this is true, it also follows John Basillone, a marine who received the medal of honor.

I am re-reading With the Old Breed. Love that book. Really want to read Helmet for my Pillow

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited June 2009
    as you'll see from the Tarawa videos above, this series is going to be absolutely brutal in comparison to Europe.

NotASenator on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This will be fucking awesome.

Hunter on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »

However, without fail, I will be crying during the scenes when they're getting ready to jump from the plane for the first time.

Being shot up, burning plane all around...yea. My grandfather was a side gunner on a bomber and had to bail twice that we know of. I can't make it through that scene without needing a break to catch my breath.

Crying while watching band of brothers is the manliest kind of sad.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Doodmann wrote: »

No shit. I can't even begin to imagine what I would do in any of the situations depicted. I mean what the fuck causes you to man up while bullets are whizzing past your head instead of curling up into a ball in a corner.

Spacehog85 on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

Going to be honest.

I don't know bowdlerize means.
    Fix your post with the slur, numbnuts.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spacehog85 wrote: »

No shit. I can't even begin to imagine what I would do in any of the situations depicted. I mean what the fuck causes you to man up while bullets are whizzing past your head instead of curling up into a ball in a corner.

your buddies are watching

Raneados on
    edited June 2009
    Raneados wrote: »

your buddies are watching

and they're counting on you.

Don't underestimate the tenacity of a man's will to get a job done and keep his friends alive.

DrZiplock on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Plus theres the fact that the flight part of your fight or flight mechanism has been environmentally removed. You know, fuck if you do fucked if you don't kind of thing.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Mr. Winters is what causes that.

"FIRE YOUR WEAPON BLIGH! GIVE IT TO 'EM BLIGH!"

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    also, ronald spiers is there to terrify the shit out of you and lead by example. such a badass

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited June 2009
    Go read Biggest Brother.

Dick Winters is a man beyond compare.

DrZiplock on