Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy VII! A Tale of Revenge, Redemption, and Ridiculosity

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I never really payed attention... but not only are we stealing the giant materia from the most annoying train mini-game ever... but we're trying to stop the world from being saved. yay us

steam_sig.png
    Behance Portfolio I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle) | FFXIV: Phyla Zuul
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Oh wow. I must have been retarded when I was 12 and managed to miss all these gaping plot holes!

Balefuego wrote: »
    When I play FPS games I just assume my dude is inside a tiny plane and he's sticking his arm out the window with a gun.
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Another update already? It is true! This may be because I have no idea how long the next one is going to take me, so enjoy this one for now.

Part 24: Flight of the Condors
    Spoiler:

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Although, to be honest,
    Spoiler:

EDIT - Fuck, wasn't expecting you to carry on past the Ultimate WEAPON fight... since it means the following tip will be completely useless to you now; Elemental materia linked with something with no element (not all of them work, but stuff like HP Plus and MP Plus do for certain), shove them in your armor, then laugh at how ineffective Ultima Beam is...
    Spoiler:

leonroughdividesig.jpg
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 XBL - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited March 2009
    That's pretty interesting. I had no idea. See, another reason why I might not be the best person to LP this is I pretty much don't know any tricks like that, or trivia, or well, much of anything apart from having played the game like 10 times over more than 8 years ago! Oh well, at least the thread allows people like you who do know those things to still make them known.

But to be honest, it still wouldn't have helped me for that particular battle because he never even used Ultima Beam on me. He got one Quake 2 off before flying away. I honestly think I'm leveled up enough to beat the game already.

• MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Am I a bad person for thinking Cloud in a wheelchair falling into a pit is utterly hilarious?

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But the Tower Defense minigame is actually fun.

Or at least, I thought it was... what, five years ago?

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It is until you're OCD and keep going back to try to win every single one of those through the course of the game.

I don't recommend that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It is until you're OCD and keep going back to try to win every single one of those through the course of the game.

I don't recommend that.

Really? I never had a problem with it as a kid. In fact, after every single story event I would head all the way back to Condor and see if there was a new battle yet.

camo_sig2.png
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User
    edited March 2009
    George lives on, baby!

Balefuego wrote: »
    When I play FPS games I just assume my dude is inside a tiny plane and he's sticking his arm out the window with a gun.
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, I don't remember that train minigame at all.

• UnluckyUnlucky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cheez wrote: »
    Wow, I don't remember that train minigame at all.
    I do and I basically did the same as Adus did - just flailed on the controller until something happened. :P It was a really stupid, annoying and utterly pointless minigame which just served to hinder the main plot.

Also amongst all the "?????" moments of FF7 (which are really intensely being highlighted for me thanks to Adus) one of the bigger ones was...well, good GOD the people at Corel are stupid. Why the hell would you build your town in the middle of a functional railway???? Also, I still don't understand why our heroes decided to stop Shinra when they both had the same goal.

"Deeeeeerrrrrrp....." is also my favourite line of this update. :D

Pokedex entry: Charmeleon, The Flame Pokemon, the brighter its tail glows the stronger its teenage angst is.
    The lamprey is ribbed for his pleasure
    edited March 2009
    There are little reasons here and there but none of them are very convincing. They're all like "If we didn't stop Shinra, they would have plowed through Corel." or "If we didn't stop Shinra, they would have killed the people and the condor at Ft. Condor." The first is stupid because the people at Corel should have known better than building their village on active railway (you get the impression they had no choice, at times, but honestly there's a lot of room in that area if you look around). The second you're just taking the word of some guy you don't know and if they had just handed over the materia that they had no need for, there's no reason Shinra would have stayed and just killed them needlessly. They're also both stupid because neither really requires you to get the Huge Materia in the first place (and technically you don't if you fail).

I actually never paid attention to how silly it was (and many other things), so my reaction in the update was pretty much my actual reaction while playing this current playthrough (and most of the other reactions. Albeit they're exaggerated for humor purposes). Though after all of it, I'm still enjoying playing again. The LP would have been painful had playing been a chore, but I look forward to it each time (except this next one. Stupid Lifestream), so obviously I still really enjoy the game. I hope reading this doesn't straight up ruin it for anyone because even after finding out these things, it's still a favorite of mine. At the core, the story is still interesting and who knows how many of these flubs are just due to poor translation and the like? All the more reason why we need a remake.

• KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have to say Barrett and/or Cid's ideas to save Fort Condor and Corel aren't entirely retarded. Since some people here haven't actually played thru the game and are reading these to see it for the first time, I'll spoiler the net bit:
    Spoiler:

In regards to Corel being retarded... I dunno. I remember the first time I walked those tracks, and I never thought they were functional. They had holes in them everywhere. I always thought it was supposed to be a surprise, like, holy shit shinra is actually using these tracks? Are they (still) retarded!?

Ft. Condor is most certainly the most retarded of the bunch. For some reason, a group of people that hate shinra decided to live inside of one of their reactors... yeah... that makes sense.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited March 2009
    Well you make a good point in using the tracks that are falling apart. You could chalk that up to another one of Shinra's retarded moves. Maybe they decided to risk it because they need to get the Huge Materia now and time is of the essence. Since we know they sort of suck at having flying modes of transportation. It's all rather vague.

I still think they could have built the village like at least a few yards away from the tracks. It's not like they had some expert design plan going on that required what they created.

Regarding what you said about the Huge Materia:
    Spoiler:

edited March 2009
    all i remember about the huge materia was that it got you master materia... and in 12 years i've still never gotten the master command one.

But that's not really a story part of the huge materia

steam_sig.png
    Behance Portfolio I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle) | FFXIV: Phyla Zuul
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User
    edited March 2009
    All this is assuming ShinRa is a standup corporate citizen though.

Is FFVII spoiler proof now? Awe, whatever.
    Spoiler:

Oh, and since I'm here, thanks Adus for an awesome thread. First LP I've read and its always entertaining.

Spoiler:
    edited March 2009
    It pretty much is spoiler proof though the nature of this thread has attracted some people who haven't played the game, and you can assume they don't really know anything other than "Aeris dies." So I just spoiler since it's easy to do. I won't get on anyone's case for not doing it, though. The game is like 11 years old now.

You're right though. There are reasons to assume Shinra is evil enough to just fuck up some towns even if they did hand over the Materia, but these reasons are Sector 7 and Corel mainly. Sector 7 you could make arguments about. AVALANCHE wasn't totally innocent themselves, as a few lines of dialogue make mention how their bombs kill a lot of people, too. They consider it for the greater good. Shinra breaks the pillar over Sector 7 to get back at them, probably using the same logic that any casualties were for the greater good.

Corel is a strange one. You never really figure out what causes the explosion in the reactor that results in the town being burnt down. The reason Corel may have hated Loaf was because Shinra told them all he did it, since he wasn't in town he was the scapegoat. It simply brings up another line of stupidity in the citizens as to why they'd believe the company that burnt down their town over a guy who lived there with his wife. Regardless, I'm getting a bit off track. The point is, it's possible they really believed the reactor explosion was caused by someone there. Hell, maybe Dyne did it since he hated them for being there. So that was their payback. Not that it was the right way to do it, but it would at least suggest they don't just kill people for absolutely no reason. Hence my assumption that if Ft. Condor handed over the materia, they might not have done anything.

Still, like it was stated above, it is rather stupid of the people to just build their home around a reactor anyways. The whole condor stuff is incredibly vague. Maybe you learn more going there at earlier points in the game, but I didn't particularly care to waste my time.

And once again thanks to everyone that supports this. It would have been easy to get discouraged and quit if no one had posted. I was even hesitant to promise I'd finish at first, but I can pretty much assure you I will now assuming my computer doesn't explode.

edited March 2009
    You actually can find out what caused the whole corel thing sorta:

These spoilers are actually relevant to other FF games though:
    Spoiler:

edited March 2009
    I always just thought the train track one was like a refuge camp of the main corel

steam_sig.png
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User
    edited March 2009
    So the entire Gold Saucer desert was once a forest?

Apparently rain was sparse in those parts.

If North Corel is a refuge camp why would the city be so far away from the reactor in the first place? Not only does the rail road track run for miles (I mean, you get 10 minutes to stop it, right?), but then the city isn't even by the train tracks, it's in the middle of a forest long walk away from the train station. They must have been mining coal from the mountains 500km away. The logistics of that city make absolutely no sense.

I had assumed the city had developed around there due to the Gold Saucer tramway thing. And that still doesn't make any sense.

The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
    edited March 2009
    You can't really argue the 10 minutes thing though. Or use it to argue with. Considering you can alter you train and their train to go faster and slower, and it makes no impact on the time remaining at all.

edited March 2009
    All right. This is the Lifestream sequence. Those of you who have played already know what it's all about. If you don't, it's basically a big, wordy section searching Squall's memories to try and find the truth about his past. A fair amount is revealed here, and it was hard to summarize, so I kept all the dialogue in tact and put them in spoiler boxes. I did my best to sum them up afterward and if you just read those summaries you may be able to figure out what's going on.

If you don't really care, or know about it already, then it'll be a pretty quick skim. I didn't try too hard to make a lot of jokes because I just wanted to move past this and get on with the game.

Part 25: Stream of Consciousness
    Spoiler:

edited March 2009
    The scene with Cloud throwing Seph with his own sword is fucking amazing. I will never forget it.

It's great that the game starts up music at a specific time, and moves the dialogue boxes along by itself.

That way Cloud's Theme (the world map theme) kicks in with those awesome drums at just the right time.

It gives me goosebumps everytime I see that part.

edited March 2009
    I'd argue that it wasn't just adrenaline... at least, not in the Last Order OVA, since Cloud's eyes turn the same green as those with Jenova cells... which is highly possible, since Sephiroth just stabbed him with the same sword he used to decapitate Jenova, and given that he currently has a gaping chest wound, I somehow doubt he would've thought to clean his blade. But whatever...

I bet Barret was the one who fucked up the whole 'train' thing... "Huh? What did I say? Oh, right! The train we on do-... wait, the hell are you guys saying sumthin differe-... Shi't, you busted up my rhythm!"

...At which point Adus runs him over with the train from Corel.

leonroughdividesig.jpg
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That right there is the only really good bit of storytelling the game has, luckily it is a doozy. It's all down hill from here.

Yeah, your theory on Sephiroth is basically the one most people stick to. He died, fell into the lifestream, and the Jenova cells in him or in the head started this crazy plan. Could be just the head for all we know. He more or less killed the real Sephiroth, making him the new Big Boss.

It makes Squall a pretty likeable fellow in the end.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited March 2009
    According to the script I use to fill in long dialogue portions it IS Loaf who messes it up, but there's no indication. Maybe the dialogue boxes go by character placement and it's pretty obvious the other two people saying it are Lockheart and Squall who are at the top. So that's pretty amusing that he doesn't even get his own saying right.

I also need to remember to turn Match Case on my replacement tool in Word, because everytime I change Cid to Banana, every instance of the word "decided" suddenly gets changed to "deBananaed" though it is a pretty awesome word.

And yeah, tossing Sephiroth into the Mako with his own sword was always awesome, and the music really works wonders. Wish that wasn't lost in the translation to screenshot but oh well. It's a bit saddening that this is all in the past and before Squall decides to dress up like a woman to avoid a little commotion... And yeah I haven't seen Last Order. The only FF7 thing I've seen outside the game is Advent Children. It might have been better if I had played/seen everything in order to perhaps clear up plot holes, but honestly I think leaving them in and realizing that for a long time there was no clarification is amusing on its own.

Though you have to admit for all the little things the game does a pretty decent job of tying everything together here. Clues that had been dropped since the very first hour of the game.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This part and its sequel (Zack Tube scene) are the best story moments in the game, and make up 90% of Last Order.

Last Order is easily the best thing to come out of the Compilation of FF7.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited March 2009
    Isn't "deBananaed" what happened to Reno after he jumped off of the pillar? It would certainly explain why Rude didn't ask him who he liked, since it wouldn't really matter at that point... :)

Despite Last Order being awesome, it's the only instance where Sephiroth isn't flung into the mako; he jumps in of his own free will. This got re-retconned in Crisis Core back to what we know, only with Genesis being retconned in when Zack and Sephiroth first investigate the reactor.

leonroughdividesig.jpg
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought Crisis Core for the most part was pretty good. I thought the ending was done really well, especially considering everyone knows what was going to happen.
    Spoiler:

I liked Zack more as a character after playing it.

edited March 2009
    I know they hint at the Cloud/Jenova/Zack stuff since the very beginning, mostly with the flashes of white here and there, but one thing has never been explained to me, and I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Its in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Approaching the first reactor, Cloud stand upright and you hear that humming noise, and then a narrator voice says, "Watch out, this isn't just a reactor"

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is it trying to say its a path of things to come? Is it just lost in translation from the moon speak?

• WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Seriously, I'm utterly confused who says that line in the first reactor... Is it the "true" Cloud, who's warning him of getting involved? Is it Jenova/Sephiroth for whatever reason? I have no idea. Oh well. It was probably just some scene to establish that something's wrong with our spikey-haired psycho.

By the way- although it really IS an awesome scene, that sword-lifting completely broke immersion for me. The set-up, the music, all perfect... But this silly move... I mean, com'on, the sword moves like a fucking seasaw. The only explanation for why Cloud's little trick works is that he was pumped up with adrenaline like crazy, and Sephiroth was frozen with shock. So frozen, actually, that he holds on to the blade and musters up the strength to keep himself up.
    Seriously- imagine that scene in more realistic cutscenes. It's downright impossible, and silly at the least...

I guess that makes me one of the unwashed videogame heavens, he.

• SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Unwashed video game heathens, you mean?

And really, that scene follows the best guidelines of all; 'does it look cool?'

Minerva_SC wrote:
    I don't think I've ever raged as hard as I just did. The amount of stupidity was so intense I couldn't eben think of words venomous enough to insult my team mates. I was literally choking on my own rage. I can only hope they all live in the same city and die in a tragic bus accident today, or tommorow. I'll pray to whatever dark god I have to.

ah yes another night of LoL.
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I wasn't sure about the line either. An Advent Children FAQ has something about it:
    *Q: Just what DID that "Watch out! This isn't just a reactor!" line early in
    the game mean?
    *A: Translated literally from Japanese, the line would be "Eye increase as for
    this there is no simply a power plant!" Obviously, "Eye increase" became
    "Watch out!" and "...as for this there is no simply a power plant!" became
    "This isn't just a reactor!" As far as the context of the situation goes,
    "Open your eyes!" or "Take notice!" would work better in English than "Watch
    out!", as this was the first of many attempts by Cloud's subconscious to get
    him to remember the truth of his past (for more on that, refer to the "The
    Identity of the Voice in Cloud's Head" article in the "Theories and In-Depth
    Analysis" section of this document). Note that the next time Cloud is in that
    same area of a Mako Reactor, he has a flashback (the first of several) to Tifa
    cradling her father's dead body in Nibelheim's Mako Reactor.

To clarify, the voice is telling Cloud that as far as the Reactor's personal
    significance to him goes, it is more than just a place that supplies
    electricity ("This isn't just a reactor!").

• SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But, it was just a reactor. I mean, you blew it up. It had no further significance in the story.

I always thought it was a warning about the guardian robot thing.

Minerva_SC wrote:
    I don't think I've ever raged as hard as I just did. The amount of stupidity was so intense I couldn't eben think of words venomous enough to insult my team mates. I was literally choking on my own rage. I can only hope they all live in the same city and die in a tragic bus accident today, or tommorow. I'll pray to whatever dark god I have to.

ah yes another night of LoL.
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, but it looks like the Nibelheim reactor, which wasn't just a reactor.

l4d_sig.png
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User
    edited March 2009
    You should go to Nibelheim and check out the basement library. If you didn't know. Or if someone else wasn't clear enough.

Good update.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Yeah, but it looks like the Nibelheim reactor, which wasn't just a reactor.

That's basically the explanation, s'far as I can tell, since [strike]Cloud[/strike] Squall has his second "Shit is going down" moment way back in the second reactor they hit it right after the first. That they're all identical at that point, pretty much, is probably enough.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • NitsuaNitsua Newport News, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, even though it's a side bit, I hope you do the mansion part that explains Zack and Cloud's relationship/experimentation story... there may be some here who never did that part.

• a penguina penguin Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    That's pretty interesting. I had no idea. See, another reason why I might not be the best person to LP this is I pretty much don't know any tricks like that, or trivia, or well, much of anything apart from having played the game like 10 times over more than 8 years ago! Oh well, at least the thread allows people like you who do know those things to still make them known.

But to be honest, it still wouldn't have helped me for that particular battle because he never even used Ultima Beam on me. He got one Quake 2 off before flying away. I honestly think I'm leveled up enough to beat the game already.

Dragged out from two pages ago, because filthy, dirty lies like this need to be called out.

This LP is the best thing ever. That is all.

Also, seconded on the part in the mansion. It really adds to the Cloud/ Zack stuff.

This space eventually to be filled with excitement