As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Useful things you learned from games

124»

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    To steer this back to (video) gamin...
    I learned how to properly shoot a movie given a limited resource (wiether it's time or money) and you're best bet is to shoot a shit load of film and try and shoot everything involving a given set all at once, then clean it up in the editing room

Thanks "The Movies"

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyNavioJimmyNavio Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A good friend of mine from Brasil learned English from games like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy, and now speaks it with almost no accent.

JimmyNavio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That the princess is -always- in another castle.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Everybody wants some rye.

'Course we do!

gtrmp on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Endure. In enduring, grow stronger.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I read a book on the Gamer Generation (people who grew up on gaming vs those who didn't). One of the big things it pointed out is that non-gamers are FAR less good at multitasking, or changing gears on work projects, gamers are not only better at it, but do poorly at only doing one task at a time. They tend to want to juggle several tasks.
    It also pointed out that gamers like challenges, and improving their skills.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I learned a tremendous amount about geography and the history of European countries fighting for the "new world" in the SNES game: New Horizons: Uncharted Waters.

If you havn't played this fairly rare game, it really is a must in my opinion. I recommend finding an emulator/ROM for this, if you can't find it, PM me and I can zip up the ROM for you. It was the first game I ever played for huge (greater than 8 hours) stretches at a time.

You can learn quite abit about economics in Eve:Online if you take the time to look.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've learned that obstacles can be overcome by flooding the area with things that are cheap and easily mass produced. Once things start to go south simply tech up, and counter with better mass produced things.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Now that I've had a bit more time to think about it since starting this thread, I came up with one thing I learned from video games, and perfected through general use of computers, especially surfing the web:

The ability to quickly see the important information on a screen, page, poster, etc. It started with games such as Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES, in battles: you rarely have to read all the text, you just have to zero-in on the numbers and a couple of important words.

Now, when I'm using the computer, if I get some sort of popup or dialog, I can quickly determine what it's about, and if I need to read further or not, within less than a second. And on the www, I can quickly zero-in to the information I'm looking for (assuming the page is laid out with some sort of logic, and not the completely incoherent ramblings of a madman -- www.timecube.com , for example) or figure out if the page is likely to have the info I need.

When I watch my father (who is far from being a "stupid" man) try to use the computer, especially surfing the web, and I see him read each and every little thing he sees, in case it might be relevant, I can't help but feel pity for him. Then again, he knows way more than me about repairing stuff such as cars, appliances, etc. I'm useless with manual tasks.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    "Colonel" is not pronounced "ko-loan-el" sciencepn1.gif

Thanks, Mega Man X4!

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Jon 118Jon 118 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    I read a book on the Gamer Generation (people who grew up on gaming vs those who didn't). One of the big things it pointed out is that non-gamers are FAR less good at multitasking, or changing gears on work projects, gamers are not only better at it, but do poorly at only doing one task at a time. They tend to want to juggle several tasks.
    It also pointed out that gamers like challenges, and improving their skills.
    You know what? This explains SO much about my study habits, and how I react to working under pressure.

What have games taught me? If at first you don't suceed, then try, try again. True, in real life you don't usually get dozens of attempts, but the theory is sound...

Jon 118 on