As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Duck Hunt on LCD overhead projector?

kathoskathos Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm putting my overhead projector on my balcony (live in a condo), and I got a big white space for it.

I use an amateur projector, it's an pretty new Canon projector, really bright stuff and I have an LCD screen hooked up to so it projects that, I've been using it for movies and stuff for a while and I decided to put some older systems onto it.

A big thing I want on it is an old NES, we love the 360 on it (can't risk the PS3 in case of slight rain while we play) but a NES would be awesome. Question though; is it possible?

Brlito.png
kathos on

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No pretty sure the Nintendo Zapper and games that play with it will only work on a CRT TV.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    From Googling basically the answer is - "maybe". There was an arcade duck hunting game in the late 70s and 80s that used a projector that displayed on a screen, but I don't know if the technology is the same. Apparently the light gun is more like a camera, when you pull the trigger, for a split second, a colored square is displayed on the duck. If the light gun sees that square, it registers a hit.

I'd say turn the brightness up on the projector as much as you can, and the lights in the room down all the way if you're going to try it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You need to be playing on a CRT for Duck Hunt to work correctly, because the gun expects the screen to refresh in a certain way in order to detect hits.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Gaah I really don't want to take it out and hook it up and all that just to test it ~_~ I guess I have to, anyone else have any suggestions?

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    kathos wrote: »
    Gaah I really don't want to take it out and hook it up and all that just to test it ~_~ I guess I have to, anyone else have any suggestions?

The facts are as thus;

A. it probably will not work because it was designed to work in a very specific way with crt televisions.

B. It could (slim chance) possibly work because the gun is a camera that looks for a specific on screen image.

There is no other advice at this point then go out and try it. you have no other way to know.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As stated before there the old duckhunt gun won't work on an lcd because the refresh rate is different than that of a crt. There are some solutions for PC and newer consoles that use sensor bars like a Wii but I don't think there is anything for NES.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As stated before (if you have to say this, chances are you're just reposting and might as well stop here) there (extra word?) the old duckhunt gun won't work on an lcd (the op is trying to use a projector, not an lcd screen) because the refresh rate is different than that of a crt. There are some solutions for PC and newer consoles that use sensor bars like a Wii (the solution is THE SENSOR BAR, there is not a solution for devices that use sensor bars) but I don't think there is anything for NES.

So as not to be wasteful of a post;
    If you're really truly against setting up your rig solely to test out duck hunt, why not just test it out real quick before your buddies come over next time you set it up for something else? it can't take longer then 30 seconds to connect the Coaxial RF cable the NES uses as a video/audio out...

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As stated before (if you have to say this, chances are you're just reposting and might as well stop here) there (extra word?) the old duckhunt gun won't work on an lcd (the op is trying to use a projector, not an lcd screen) because the refresh rate is different than that of a crt. There are some solutions for PC and newer consoles that use sensor bars like a Wii (the solution is THE SENSOR BAR, there is not a solution for devices that use sensor bars) but I don't think there is anything for NES.

So as not to be wasteful of a post;
    If you're really truly against setting up your rig solely to test out duck hunt, why not just test it out real quick before your buddies come over next time you set it up for something else? it can't take longer then 30 seconds to connect the Coaxial RF cable the NES uses as a video/audio out...

Duck hunt and other light gun games don't work on progressive scan devices. The reason is how the game is designed to work. Here comes some science. When you pull the trigger in duck hunt the ducks are redrawn as white boxes on a black background. If the white box is seen by the light sensor, you score a hit. Now in order to tell which duck you hit the CRT aspect comes into play. A CRT works by drawing in Pixels starting at the top of the screen moving from left to right. When you pull the trigger the NES also takes note where in the clock cycle of drawing on the screen it is. This lets it calculate how many lines have been filled in and where on the screen the white box the gun saw is. So it should work if you have only one duck and sufficient contrast, but two ducks will screw with it, you'll get strange effects like shooting both ducks at once(or just missing depending on how the game is coded)

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett