As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Daredevil: The Thread Without Fear

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You dont even know anything about her or the reason why thats her name.

It's stupid to say you could give her a more fitting name when you know nothing about the character

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I didn't say a more fitting name I said a less lame one. Lady Bullseye, to my ears, conjures up images of DD's old Stiltman days. It just doesn't work for me. I don't like the name itself, doesn't mean I won't like the character.

Accualt on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Her name could be Lady Susan Bullseye, wife of Lord Marcroft Bullseye.

Fencingsax on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Her name could be Lady Susan Bullseye, wife of Lord Marcroft Bullseye.

And their darling children, Gregory and Phillipa.

I admit I rolled my eyes a little when I first heard the Lady Bullseye concept, but the name is growing on me. My only concern is that under some great recent writing (Brubaker included), Bullseye has become such an impossible caliber of villain to live up to. How can anyone have a name that refers to Bullseye and not be lame in comparison?

Still, getting to like the name and I love Brubaker's villains, so happy to wait until I read the story for myself.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Bullseye got beaten by American Eagle though

Me Too! on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, but only after the whole Jack Flag stuff. *shudder*

Bullseye still has more than his share of standout awesome moments. The scene in 'The Devil: Inside and Out' where he's getting wheeled into prison is a particular favourite of mine.

Desktop Hippie on
    edited September 2008
    the bullseye/spider-man fight in ASM last week was awesome

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    He had to get something off his chest

Me Too! on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If Lady Bullseye lacks in the awesomeness department, she more than makes up for it in the hotness department.

Plus its Brubaker. It will be good.

Lucascraft on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The OP made me order Daredevil Yellow. It will arrive sometime this week. But if I regret my purchase Lucascraft will rue the day he ever double crossed me...

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited September 2008
    You should enjoy it. DD Yellow is a good introduction to the character. You get some origin, some Foggy, some Karen Page, and you get to meet some of his more colorful rogues.

Lucascraft on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I enjoyed the first issue of Lady Bullseye.

That is all.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited September 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

That is all.

Me too.
    And Matt's bangin' Dakota now. That's awesome.

Lucascraft on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The pages with real Bullseye were the best pages

deadonthestreet on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought her origin was kind of a cliche, but I do like the idea of an arc with Black Tarantula and Iron Fist.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2008
    I thought her origin was kind of a cliche, but I do like the idea of an arc with Black Tarantula and Iron Fist.

If you didn't read the one-shot issue "Blood of the Tarantula" you should try to get your hands on it. It was great.

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2008
    Well at least we know why she's called Lady Bullseye, and I can't wait to see what Bru has planned with The Hand (if Logan and Stick show up that will only make it that much better.)

Also my god who is Clay Mann and what else has he drawn.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

If you didn't read the one-shot issue "Blood of the Tarantula" you should try to get your hands on it. It was great.

Was this the Daredevil Annual? Because yeah, that was really good.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited September 2008
    Bru said his original intention was to kill Black Tarantula off in his first arc, but he enjoyed writing the character so much that he scrapped that and instead decided to make him a part of DD' supporting cast.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    No, the Blood of the Tarantula was not the Annual. The annual was titled "Devil May Care" and it featured Black Tarantula. Blood was actually branded as a One-Shot on the cover, and was written by Parks under the direction of Brubaker.

DDBLOOD.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • WizardFistWizardFist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

That is all.

Me too.
    And Matt's bangin' Dakota now. That's awesome.

Dakota's a hottie.

WizardFist on
    1242529-1.png
    edited September 2008
    No, the Blood of the Tarantula was not the Annual. The annual was titled "Devil May Care" and it featured Black Tarantula. Blood was actually branded as a One-Shot on the cover, and was written by Parks under the direction of Brubaker.

Ah! Well, the Annual was good, too.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

She immediately killed a guy with a key once she got out. How is that cliche?
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Well at least we know why she's called Lady Bullseye, and I can't wait to see what Bru has planned with The Hand (if Logan and Stick show up that will only make it that much better.)

Also my god who is Clay Mann and what else has he drawn.

Stick's on the cover of December's issue. And the interview with Bru about the arc was pretty interesting about how deep it's going to go into what The Hand actually is.
    WizardFist wrote: »
    Dakota's a hottie.

Indeed. (NSFW)
    http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2181/scan0021hw4.jpg

Cropped from a full-page scan on S_D.

Edit: Yeah. My bad.

Crimsondude on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2008
    could you link that please

DJ Eebs on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Daredevil has an interesting definition of "worst".

And I suppose cliche wasn't the right word for Lady Bullseye. I mean, being inspired by a person and taking their name or gimmick is more like a tradition than anything else.

I might as well complain about people getting their powers through science accidents, or something.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2008
    Man, its awesome about Matt and Dakota, but at the same time, this is gonna suck. Because the only way this will play out is that he's gonna feel guilty about cheating on Milla and then things are gonna get awkward and weird between him and Dakota.

Lucascraft on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Bru said his original intention was to kill Black Tarantula off in his first arc, but he enjoyed writing the character so much that he scrapped that and instead decided to make him a part of DD' supporting cast.

yeah, i remember thinking he was straight up dead when i first read that arc. there's basically nothing in it to indicate he isn't, and he has a damn close encounter with bullseye, which is generally a death sentence anyway.

man that first arc is fucking good.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I'm reading Vol.1 of the Bendis DD omnibus and I'm mad at you guys for not coming to my house and making me read it before.
    I think this is probably the most interesting thing I've read in a very very long time.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited October 2008
    I was just glancing through the Iron Man thread and saw an old post by The Lovely Bastard.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=56853&page=15

What comic is this? And is it any good?

Lucascraft on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That is from an old crossover in the 90's Acts of Vengeance.

The basic gist of the story was, Loki was pissed for accidentally starting the Avengers, gathered a group of villains and all of them switched up nemeses.

Doom got Daredevil, and to show up Kingpin, he hired ULTRON to take him out.

Though the best is Magneto getting Captain America, and just torturing Red Skull for being a Nazi.

As for quality, I fucking loved Acts of Vengeance and how ridiculous it was.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited October 2008
    The second part of Lady Bullseye was pretty awesome. I got 3 weeks worth of comics yesterday because I've been out of town. I don't know exactly how old it is, but I really enjoyed it.

One thing Brubaker does really well is develop his supporting cast. I love it when Black Tarantula shows up in Daredevil. He's a really interesting and complex character. Also, as we saw this issue, he's a badass and laid the smack down on some Hand ninjas.

Lucascraft on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    He's also dead, but what the hell, this is a Marvel comics character we're talking about I guess.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited October 2008
    uh since when is Black Tarantula dead

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So over the last week, I've read the hardcover collectin the Smith and Mack stories, the Bendis Omnibus, and the following two Bendis arcs. Only two more Bendis trades to go then I move onto Brubaker's run.

I think I'm a Daredevil addict now.

LockedOnTarget on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So over the last week, I've read the hardcover collectin the Smith and Mack stories, the Bendis Omnibus, and the following two Bendis arcs. Only two more Bendis trades to go then I move onto Brubaker's run.

I recently picked up the first six (are there more?) leather bound collections of Bendis's run. Some of the best superhero comics I've read in years.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2008

He's seriously one of the most under rated heroes ever. The problem is that he isn't powerful enough to go up against the super huge enemies so a lot of people tend to ignore him.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It was just a bit too much kick a man while he's down. You have to let up some time to let the reader at least see some happiness now and then. Bendis did it during his run, Joe Kelly brought some light hearted issues right after the crap that was Marvel EDGE, and it cleansed the pallet to make way for Smith's story.

That's why Marvel's ideas about DD and Spidey "always being treated like crap because it makes them more human and street level" is a bit over the top. You keep kicking them in the stomach enough and I just take it that it will never change, so why continue to read the book.

I think it was Brubaker who said that Murdock is the living embodiment of Catholic guilt. A lot of crap has been heaped upon him, but he also brings a lot of this crap onto himself, and he knows it. And he still goes out and does his thing anyway, which by comparison to a normal person is insane.

Crimsondude on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I see what you did there.

The guilt thing only works when someone has a good understanding of Catholicism. It's one thing to just throw guilt in there on top of other stupid things the individual does, another to add that extra layer where it's not really your fault but you feel guilty anyway. I think that's why Smith's story worked so well, because he's a pretty strong catholic and could write from experience. Matt was brought to his lowest point for completely petty reasons by Mysterio, but was still able to realize he can enjoy life between the beat downs. His "confession" with Spider-Man was some great characterization.

Bendis steered clear of it really, save for right when his identity was revealed and that Daredevil support group arc (so good).

Brubaker really doesn't add much to Milla during his run, uses her as a plot device, then tries to build sympathy for Milla because she's now crazy and that leaves Matt with no options and tries to push some religion on it too. Matt then does something stupid like sleeping with Dakota, but if his wife isn't a good enough character to even have people remember how to spell her name right, do you even care? (And just go to Dr. Strange and remove the toxin from her, he did it before).

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    You're grossinly oversimplifying the Mr. Fear arc. But of course she's a plot element. Everything in the book except DD is a plot element.

Crimsondude on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You're grossinly oversimplifying the Mr. Fear arc. But of course she's a plot element. Everything in the book except DD is a plot element.

It wasn't so much she is a plot device (as every character is really) but that there is no depth to Milla, so I don't really care about her. Bendis didn't even do a good job with her really, outside of the one year later jump he did.

And I may be simplifying the Mr. Fear arc because I can't remember what happened for the life of me. And I read the book every month (quite during the Rucka arc, came back for Lady Bullseye). Those issues plus Brubaker's Uncanny issues have been the weakest I've read from him.

TexiKen on