As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cannot install Deus Ex in Vista [SOLVED]

Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
First off, you've all lost The Game.

Secondly, I'm trying to install Deus Ex (Game of the Year Edition I believe) on my dual-core Vista machine, but when I run the installer I get a HUGE error message headed General Protection Fault or similar. When I try to run the game it can't find files. When I try to uninstall the game the uninstaller can't find it, so the only solution there is to use a registry cleaner to remove its entry in the registry and delete the files manually.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

l4d_sig.png
Dr Snofeld on

• Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tried running it in Win98/XP compatibility mode?

I've run into games where the installer won't even run correctly on Vista so I've had to go onto the disk and set autorun/the installer to compatibility mode before it works at all. And be sure not to install it to Program Files (unless you have mucked with/disabled UAC) as Vista protects that by default and gets bitchy when programs try to write there (A game saving, for example)

Oh and run as Admin of course.

Arrath on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not to hijack, but I can't install KoTOR because it thinks I'm a pirate. The ONE time I'm not. I have the box and CDs and jewel case in my hands, and it thinks, probably because I MAY have some disk mounting software on my computer/registry that I'm a dirty pirate.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the options there are to remove whatever offends the drm in the installer or be a pirate and crack that bitch so it stops complaining.

Arrath on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I tried uninstalling Daemon, and it didn't work. Of course, that was a long time ago.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    I think the options there are to remove whatever offends the drm in the installer or be a pirate and crack that bitch so it stops complaining.

Technically you're not a pirate just because you use a crack. I use no-cd cracks on all my games anyway because I got used to it in the days when waiting for the disc check was a really annoyingly long amount of time wasted.

You're only a pirate if you didn't pay for the game you're using the crack on. 8-)

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have Dual Core Processor, Vista and Deus Ex, i'll give it a try and let you know if i get the same problem.

EDIT: It's GOTY, and i have Daemon Tools Installed, but i'm not using it for Deus Ex.

OP might want to let us know if he's placing an original physical disc into a dvd/cd tray, or if he's using an image.

2nd EDIT: Yeah General protection fault, Critical Error, sounds the same as OP.

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It's the original disc, yeah. I do have some iso-making programs on here but I didn't the last time I tried to install this, and still got the same error.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    According to what I've found on google, you may need to tell it to only use one processor. No idea how you do that though.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    First off, you've all lost The Game.

You git. Absolute f'ing bastard.

>_>

Well played.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I tried installing while having the setup in XP compatability, but still got the same message.

But this time I got a screengrab of the fucker.

deusexerror.jpg

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah, shit. I came across that error not too long ago myself. I honestly don't remember if I fixed it, but you can try changing the CPU affinity (from task manager, go to process and right-click and choose set affinity). Just disable everything except cpu 0.

Although you could probably copy the files over/extract them without the installer, maybe. Since it was an unreal engine game it uses the unreal installer stuff like the mutaters use, so you could technically use those tools to extract it.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i have similar problems when tryign to play old games. run in xp sp2 compatibility mode (right click<properties<compatibility) run with 1 processor like the above post said and run as administrator.

it's absolutely stupid that you have to do this, and you have to do the last 2 every time you load it, but it works... most of the time.

sadly starcraft still doesn't seem to work properly with this so it doesn't look like it's a universal solution

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So what, I start the installer and set the affinity to 1 core before it starts copying things?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay, got it working, here is the solution.

Once the installer has come up, but before any files copy, set the affinity of the installer to a single core in Task Manager. Do the same for patch installation just in case, and for running the game.

This thread can now be locked.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.