As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dwarf Fortress: Knowing no mercy, Toady One destroyed our lives!

• WerespazWerespaz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So my glassmaker/mechanic dorf just went into a strange mood, but isn't going anywhere. I have one of EVERY kind of workshop (well, except a millstone, and non-magma versions of a forge, glassmakers, kiln and smelter). What gives?!

Werespaz on
    Werespaz.jpgfreaksig5.jpg
  • SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    nhrn wrote: »
    So I recently got into this after reading/playing through that helpfully linked tutorial (you know the one I mean) and I haven't slept for more than 3 hours straight since. Who wants to get a succession game going?

We got one going. Oceanside

SulSeeker on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Werespaz wrote: »
    So my glassmaker/mechanic dorf just went into a strange mood, but isn't going anywhere. I have one of EVERY kind of workshop (well, except a millstone, and non-magma versions of a forge, glassmakers, kiln and smelter). What gives?!

You need the non-magma versions. For some reason strange mood dwarves sometimes don't want to use the magma workshops/forges.

Vic on
    edited March 2009
    Anyone know why dwarves refuse to use workshops? I can't get them to make anything in them, and when I try to get them to deconstruct it, nothing. Help?

SulSeeker on
  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Before this thread gets huge, I want to point out a fucking amazing tutorial that was also linked by Tycho a few days ago.

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

While it is long, it's amazing and shows you everything.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SulSeeker wrote: »
    Anyone know why dwarves refuse to use workshops? I can't get them to make anything in them, and when I try to get them to deconstruct it, nothing. Help?

Is the dwarf who made them otherwise occupied (sleeping, etc.) without any others who share the workshop's job? I.E. if you have a carpentry shop, a dwarf with the job Carpentry enabled needs to be active and not cluttered with other jobs.

If, for example, he's busy hauling stuff, it'll take him a while to get around to making anything -- unless you turn all the hauling labors off for him.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Figured out the messed up workshops somehow... that was all good.

Dwarf caravan came, brought much needed supplies. YAY!

Dragon came to play afrer Y finished trading ans such... Ran up to the center of my entrance, breathed fire on my Trade depot, with the damn dwarf caravan still there....

BOOM!!!

I walled up the outside and now I wait to figure out how to work myself out of this mess... :(

SulSeeker on
    edited March 2009
    looking through the wreckage, found a mace dwarf with his entire right side Dark Grey (arm, Leg, fingers, toes, knee, ankle, hip) his internal organs and nerves are fine tho... wonder how long he'll last. (too bad he's not my dwarf.)

And two horses survived unscathed, fled into the entrance and were protected I guess...

Edit: this was supposed to be an edit for above. :-/

SulSeeker on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    It's a real shame that building a mighty fortress offers so little reward.
    So true, sadly. Hopefully the new arc fixes that once it's finished.

Agreed. There is something wrong when you find a gold seam and go "damn, just more useless gold". So undwarfish!

Was this a big thing that's going to lead to a big update which means not many smaller updates in the meantime?

Is there a timetable on that? And what all is it supposed to include?

Frosteey on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I read the "first fortress" tutorial, and actually figured out how to do some things. Dug out a few rooms, set some stockpiles, gathered some wood, set some farm plots, instructed someone to make a door and some wooden furniture...

Only he wouldn't make it. What the fuck.

Henroid on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I read the "first fortress" tutorial, and actually figured out how to do some things. Dug out a few rooms, set some stockpiles, gathered some wood, set some farm plots, instructed someone to make a door and some wooden furniture...

Well, as mentioned on the previous page do you have a Dwarf with Carpentry enabled? and do you have any wood chopped down?

And, if you do have a Carpenter Dwarf what is he/she currently doing? They could be eating, sleeping, hauling or any number of other tasks. Dwarfs don't always do things when you want to them to do.

You can click on "u" to see the current activities of all your Dwarfs (as well as everything else around). If your Carpenter Dwarf says "No Job" then something is set wrong.

Also, you probably don't want to make anything out of wood other than beds, barrels and buckets. As those have to be wood. Make everything else out of stone. Wood is much more limited resource than stone.

Selner on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How do I find out what materials and how much are needed to make things?

Henroid on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How do I find out what materials and how much are needed to make things?

Once you've made a workshop, you can press "q" and then move the cursor near the shop. You'll then see the workshop window appear. You can then click "a" to Add a new Task.

That will then show the list of things you can make in that Workshop. Generally speaking everything takes one unit to construct. There are exceptions, and the game will tell you if you don't have the raw material.

You'll see a message like "Garzbag, Brewer cancels Brew Drink: needs empty barrel" or "Garzbag, Carpenter cancels Construct Bed: needs wood" or other things like that.

A Mason's Workshop and a Carpenter's Workshop are probably the ones you build first, and you'll need stone or wood to build them.
    Which is another thing. When you build a Workshop, it actually gives you a choice of what you want to build it out of.

Selner on
    edited March 2009
    How can I collect all this stone that gets left behind on the ground when I have my guys digout rooms?

Henroid on
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SulSeeker wrote: »
    Figured out the messed up workshops somehow... that was all good.

Dwarf caravan came, brought much needed supplies. YAY!

Dragon came to play afrer Y finished trading ans such... Ran up to the center of my entrance, breathed fire on my Trade depot, with the damn dwarf caravan still there....

BOOM!!!

I walled up the outside and now I wait to figure out how to work myself out of this mess... :(

A winner is you!!! :winky:

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Was this a big thing that's going to lead to a big update which means not many smaller updates in the meantime?

Current status thread; Toady regularly updates the first post:
    http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30026.0

Toady also posts daily updates (RSS feed available as well):
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    How can I collect all this stone that gets left behind on the ground when I have my guys digout rooms?

A simple and common question, with a somewhat surprising answer -- There's no really convenient way.

Or at least, there wasn't until shortly ago. The most straightforward answer is to 'p'lace a stone stockpile, but this causes serious problems, mostly to do with space and time consumed hauling rocks. Generally you're going to produce so much rock that it doesn't matter how many stockpiles you make, you're always going to be overflowing with the stuff. This worsens as your miners get better at their jobs, because they leave more rock behind.

The more effective but very tedious way was to ('i') zone a 1x1 garbage dump somewhere close to your masonry and stone craftsmen, make it active (and, if you had any, all other dumps inactive), then use 'k' to individually select each piece of stone and 'd'ump it. Yes, this was a very tedious process, but honestly more practical than stone stockpiles, because all the stone would go on that one garbage dump square, instead of each unit of stone taking up a whole square in the stone stockpile.

I believe now there's a means of mass-designating materials in an area to be 'd'umped -- you might look for that, or maybe someone else knows about it; it would make the garbage dump method much, much less tedious, naturally.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    To dump lots of stuff, press d, b, d (IIRC) then you can just do the usual designation thing and select a whole bunch of stuff. Careful when freeing up space for stockpiles that you don't designate things that you want in the stockpile as dump items.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009

There are a few ways to do this.

1. Ignore it. For the most part, it's not a problem. Dwarves will never trip on it, they step over it, ignore it... I believe in some cases it may take up space on a stockpile (but not always).

2. Create a stone stockpile. (p) for stockpiles, (s) for stone. Easy to do, but not really the best way, as your stockpile will fill up quickly. (Dwarfs will also spend a lot of time hauling stone, which can be bad if you need them for other tasks; turn off stone hauling on dwarfs who need to be doing other work.) What I personally find this good for is isolating particular stones... metal ores, or charcoal, or even a temporary stockpile if I want a very particular stone (for example, if I want cyan rock, I'll set a stockpile for only microline).

3. Create a garbage dump. (i) for zones, (g) for garbage. This is similar to a stockpile, but better because of an exploit: you can make a 1x1 garbage dump which can hold any number of items. I do this sometimes, putting the garbage dump right next to a Mason's Workshop (or Mechanic's, or Craftsdwarf's). Occasionally, in order to actually use that stone, you need to reclaim them. Mass dump/reclaim can be done with (d) for designate, (b) for ???, and pick the letter from the menu for dump or reclaim. This also has to deal with lots of dwarfs suddenly moving stone around.

4. Build a Mason's (or other) workshop in the midst of stones. This technique is nice in that you don't have a bunch of dwarfs suddenly ignoring other tasks and just moving rock. Put the workshop in a cluttered area, build a bunch of stuff, dismantle and rebuild somewhere else. It's a little more work to do, and you'll sometimes have a masonry sitting in your dining room, or barracks, or wherever, which is a little weird, but it works out well.

I tend to use a combination of all four techniques, #2 least of all except, as indicated, when I want a particular type of stone in a particular place (like metal ore near the smelter).

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited March 2009
    I'm not seeing any menu options for designating workshops and masonries and barracks. What the eff.

Henroid on
    edited March 2009
    I'm not seeing any menu options for designating workshops and masonries and barracks. What the eff.

For the Mason's workshop: (b)uild, (w)orkshop, (m)asonry

To make the barracks, you need to first create an armor stand, weapon rack, or bed at a mason's workshop or a carpenter's shop. (Note beds can be made only at the carpenter's shop.)

Then, place the item (armor stand, weapon rack, or bed) in the area you want as a barracks: (b)uild menu again, then (b)ed, weapon (r)ack, or (a)rmor stand.

Finally, use (q) and move the cursor near the item once a dwarf sets it in place. Make a (r)oom, follow the instructions to set size, and hit enter. Voila, it's a barracks!

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Okay this game is getting significantly better. Now, my next question is: am I wasting time trying to channel this river to flow into a pond? I mean, can I make it a more renewed source of water?

Henroid on
    edited March 2009
    Okay this game is getting significantly better. Now, my next question is: am I wasting time trying to channel this river to flow into a pond? I mean, can I make it a more renewed source of water?

It can be quite useful, depending on your needs.

For example, the map I'm playing now has a river, but only a very small section far in the NW corner. Most of my fort is along the south edge, so I've dug an underground passage to bring that water all the way south. The main goal, in my case, is to have a body of water close to the fort so dwarfs fetching water for the injured don't have to traverse the whole region just to fill a bucket.

It can also be good to get water into a fort on a cold map, since it won't (or is less prone) to freeze indoors. Frozen water means no drinks for the injured.

There's more you can do with water as well... Pump it up a level or two and drop it again to make a waterfall, which makes dwarfs happy.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited March 2009
    So, my latest fort is going along well. Nearly had an out-of-booze disasters, until some humans showed up with the beer.

Several months later, a caravan of dwarfs arrives from the north and starts heading south towards my fortress. Though I'm in a better situation with alcohol sticks, I figure this will be a good opportunity to bulk up my booze reserves. Plus lots of other goodies, since I can pump out a ton of rock toys and crafts.

The caravan gets 1/2 screen southwards when a vile force of darkness arrives: goblin siege! Guess where the invading goblins appear.... Yeah, right behind the caravan.

I start preparations to receive the siege, hoping the caravan will take care of them or delay them, since I'm not really prepared. And there is a battle... the caravan manages to take a number of goblins apart, but so do the goblins who brought several crossbows with them.

Fortunately, for me, the goblins lose heart and the rest run just before the caravan is completely decimated. Unfortunately, for the caravan, they are pretty much decimated.

CaravanAndSiegeMess.png

(Colors modded for better visibility.) It doesn't look all that bad, except that large bloody mess is several, I think. Not to mention the few remaining caravan that are slowly limping off map due to numerous injuries.

EDIT: Oh... let the looting commence!!! :D

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Oh, a brewery. That's what I forgot to build!

Edit - Hey, if I tell a kitchen to make some prepared foods, will they get stored, or do they just get used ASAP?

Edit - Uh, I build some stairs. How do I set up what's under them?

Henroid on
    edited March 2009
    Edit - Hey, if I tell a kitchen to make some prepared foods, will they get stored, or do they just get used ASAP?

They will get put into food stockpiles, provided you haven't gone in and specifically disabled storing prepared food in them. They will get eaten as per each dwarf's preferences... so not necessarily immediately, or always preferred, but I think usually preferred (since they make dwarfs happy!).
    Edit - Uh, I build some stairs. How do I set up what's under them?

The other half of the stairs?

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, but how? I set the stairs going down, and I can't set anything else on them.

Henroid on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »

Current status thread; Toady regularly updates the first post:
    http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30026.0

Toady also posts daily updates (RSS feed available as well):
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html
    After quite a long time, I've finally finished my night reading, Three Kingdoms. It's been very inspirational for the army work to come after this release is out.

Oh boy...

Frosteey on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh my moody Fisherdwarf is such a trooper.

Last spring he was critically injured trying to wrest away a Workshop from an engraver who had gone berserk after he couldn't mind the material he needed for his mysterious construction. As in broken leg, arm and hand, and he's technically been unconscious for almost six months now. But because he's in a strange mood, he refuses to do anything except work, so he's had no time to recooperate and has been dragging himself across the fortress desperately seeking his materials. While unconcious.

Finally, in the beginning of autumn, he's begun work on the construction. This fellow is getting a legendary bedroom following this. And a tomb for when he dies from his wounds.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zampano wrote: »
    Oh my moody Fisherdwarf is such a trooper.

Last spring he was critically injured trying to wrest away a Workshop from an engraver who had gone berserk after he couldn't mind the material he needed for his mysterious construction. As in broken leg, arm and hand, and he's technically been unconscious for almost six months now. But because he's in a strange mood, he refuses to do anything except work, so he's had no time to recooperate and has been dragging himself across the fortress desperately seeking his materials. While unconcious.

Finally, in the beginning of autumn, he's begun work on the construction. This fellow is getting a legendary bedroom following this. And a tomb for when he dies from his wounds.

Haha, with some luck he'll get some nice attributes out of becoming legendary and he'll pull through. I had something similar happen with a weaver that had a nasty encounter with a giant cave spider. He barely pulled through and after two seasons lying on a bed he gets up to furiously work on a legendary spider silk sock and then falls back into unconsciousness for four or five more seasons until he finally recovers.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, but how? I set the stairs going down, and I can't set anything else on them.

You'll want to put either an up/down stairs under it, or an up stairs under it, so your dwarves can climb up and down.

A great visualization is on the stairs page in the DFWiki:

DF_Terraform.PNG

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mynightmare.png

Carp

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    can you cage and tame carp? I'd recommend running channels throughout your fortress, teeming with vicious guard carp

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    can you cage and tame carp? I'd recommend running channels throughout your fortress, teeming with vicious guard carp

You wouldn't need to train them. Did out a level beneath your main fortress, then channel down into it from the level above to make every corridor have a drop either side of it. Then, connect the lower level to the river, redirecting it under your fortress. Add grates to the exit tunnel, trapping the carp inside.

Add a few trapdoors on your living level, and you've got a boobytrap worthy of a Bond villain.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • nhrnnhrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My current fortresses location is so perfect I may cry if anything goes wrong. So perfect I will set up that carp booby trap!

nhrn on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    nhrn wrote: »
    My current fortresses location is so perfect I may cry if anything goes wrong. So perfect I will set up that carp booby trap!

If you like it that much you can save a game and then remove it from the folder so it doesn't get overwritten and you can start again if/when your fortress is destroyed.

freakish light on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NEWB question! I got the May Green version of the game (the slightly prettier dwarf fortress), but I can't tell what a human or elf settlement looks like on the Choose Fortress screen cause I don't think their the same as the ones you can find on the wiki (I like to start underneath a human settlement. Free guards!)

I've noticed the little # signs are infact humans... but I know there multiple human images, and I can't find any elf towns.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    edited March 2009
    A dragon showed up at my fort today. I started crying until I noticed he was slightly injured. And unconscious. Basically, I think the dragon tripped upon entering the region and went into a coma.

One of my hammerdwarfs crept up quietly and bashed it in the skull. No more dragon.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited March 2009
    A dragon showed up at my fort today. I started crying until I noticed he was slightly injured. And unconscious. Basically, I think the dragon tripped upon entering the region and went into a coma.

One of my hammerdwarfs crept up quietly and bashed it in the skull. No more dragon.

Maybe he had an eye torn out by one of his previous conquests.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Dkarrde wrote: »

Maybe he had an eye torn out by one of his previous conquests.

Not eye injuries... leg and wing, iirc, and both were gray, which means very minor, also iirc. Perhaps he was just dozing?

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg