As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2008: This thread is awesome and deserves more attention!

2»

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here you go, little late but better then never :)
    Master Piece Megatron!

IMG_2147-1.jpg
    "I'll crush you with my bare hands!"

IMG_2150-1.jpg
    "Krazeek!"

IMG_2151-1.jpg
    We dont mention the energon mace :)

Thanks again! Great gift :)

Prime on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got my acceptance to graduate school today. Santa, you shouldn't have!

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    xarcade.jpg?t=1237313628
    (Not my photo, but then I don't have a digital camera)

Thank you one million times to my mysterious Santa/Bunny. Some really ninja like stalking there. I thought I was safe but clearly you were reading up until recently as I think I posted in the Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection thread about wanting to buy an arcade stick to play the games (I need to go pick that up ASAP). Really cool that you included adapters for PS2, PS3 and PC (all clearly labeled as well). I was leaving for class when the postman came so I didn't get a chance to test it out but I will be doing that as soon as I get home, playing some Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter HD on my PS3. I'm also probably going to drop by work today and buy some fighters or arcade games since tomorrow I have a day off.

I am in shock here at how awesome this is, and how expensive it must have cost you. I can't even imagining what the shipping costs were too as this thing is pretty hefty. I was honestly a little bit 'meh' about SS in all honesty, but this restores my faith in how awesome everyone here is.

I'll post some impressions when I get home and give it a shot.

<3 Bunny, reveal yourself.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh nice, very good haul liquid!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yay bunnies!

cute-little-bunnies7.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    d'awwww..

urahonky on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    <3 Bunny, reveal yourself.

I confess!

My wish for you is to take this controller, find your Deadbeat Secret Santa, and beat the snot of out him with it.

Of course, I mean in an online Street Fighter match. My legal representation has discouraged me from recommending this gaming peripheral for use as a bludgeon.

About the controller:
    I did some research on X-Arcades, and the biggest complaint I read was that the joystick and buttons aren't as responsive as they should be for fighting games. So I replaced the stick with an iL 8-way Eurostick, which is highly recommended over the current Happ Competition Joystick that is based on it. Then replaced the concave buttons with convex ones with Cherry switches, which apparently make you hit faster.

My only concern is that there may be some lag with the way X-Arcade daisy chains the controller adapters, although their tech support says that shouldn't happen.

I also meant to add in the instructions on how the PS3 adapter should work, but got a bit rushed because the parts came in late (2-week delay because of SF4 popularity!), so here's the link: PS3 button layout.

Happy [strike]St. Patrick's Day[/strike] Easter Bunny.

Ready? Fight!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wow, you replaced the buttons and stick on it too?! That's awesome!

I do wish they would make controllers that didn't have to daisy chain adapters to work. I see high end metal GC/Wii DDR Pads and they are simply PS2 pads that include the PS2-GC adapter. Would be so much better if they did it the way Daedalus wired his stick up so it was completely independent of a console and you could just plug in whatever console box you needed for it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So some general impressions about the joystick.

First, my test subjects were Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter HD Remix, and 1942.

On all fronts, the stick feels buttery. I think it has made a qualitative difference in my ability to pwn in SFIV. I haven't tried any other X-Arcade stick but the buttons are really responsive (maybe your changes made that difference, I'm not too sure). Also the stick is very tight which is what I like in an arcade stick--I also prefer the bat shape to the Japanese style gumball.

My only complaint and I think I can probably fix it, is that the serial connector on the arcade stick itself is a bit loose and it cut out in the first couple times playing it. But since then I've found a way to keep it connected by the way I position the cable. I think it may be just a loose connection or something that I can probably be able to fix down the line if it gives me serious problems.

Awesome gift slacktron. I owe you a million.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mi madre has forwarded the package to me, along with a birthday gift since I turn 21 on sunday. good timing easter bunny!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TA DA!
    I have received my package! Just in time for my birthday too! THANK YOU mystery bunny! The candy is delicious, the books are awesome (I loved Coraline the movie, she's on my desktop wallpaper and my girlfriend just finished reading a copy, great to have my own!) and the music is rad too! You rock.

Spoiled for hoooge
    img0180t.jpg
    img0181jap.jpg
    img0182a.jpg
    img0179c.jpg

Edit: Also, I am afraid to eat the squirrel flavored potato chips. But holy damn the maltese stuff is good!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My only complaint and I think I can probably fix it, is that the serial connector on the arcade stick itself is a bit loose and it cut out in the first couple times playing it.

You can try opening up the stick and seeing if you can find some way to support it. I recommend contacting xgaming support to see what they suggest.

Here's what I did to put it together:
    Pre-project.
    IMG_0364.jpg

The underside. The screws to open the case are in the feet. Once those are removed, you need to pry up the wooden panel with something like a butterknife:
    IMG_0366.jpg

Once you get it open, this is what you'll see. Since it has no internal power source, you can't jolt yourself.
    IMG_0367.jpg

Comparing the old Happ Xgaming stick vs. the new iL Eurostick. The actuators are different.
    IMG_0370.jpg

Here are the replaced buttons, wire-side:
    IMG_0378.jpg

And the finished project:
    IMG_0382.jpg

But from what I've gathered from xgaming is that they intended the stick to be home-modified, so don't feel bad about opening it up and tinkering around in there. In fact, it should run just fine with the back off of it, so you can try bracing the com port with some non-conductive material to see how it holds up.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think its possible but I might be more in awe than before having seen the thing before, after, and in my hands.

I haven't bothered opening it up yet. I just gave the thing a good push to the right and now it seems to be moving quite a bit less. I'll try testing it out now and I'll edit with results.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This thread is awesome and deserves more attention.

Anyway, Hypatia sent me a bonus gift awhile back that I never posted because I'm a total Grinch:

dinosaurbbq.png

It's a Dinosaur Bar-B-Que cookbook!

See, I'm from Texas, originally, and I just moved to Portland, OR, where the food isn't exactly what we have back home. Hypatia observed this and sent me this fantastic cookbook. Every recipe feeds 500 people or so, so once summer rolls around I'm going to have one heck of a party.

So a belated thanks to Hypatia for this! It was an awesome surprise!

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wow. The generosity of the people on this forum is simply astounding. Not only do we have, what was it, ~150 people offer to buy gifts for the few people who were left without, but the people who went above and beyond were also gifted again just because they are awesome and the people who gifted them are awesome!

That cookbook is awesome!

(Oh, and I changed the thread title because it deserved it. :D )

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Wow. The generosity of the people on this forum is simply astounding. Not only do we have, what was it, ~150 people offer to buy gifts for the few people who were left without, but the people who went above and beyond were also gifted again just because they are awesome and the people who gifted them are awesome!

Hypatia was also appropriately 'additional gifted'

Did all the people who got screwed check in? who is still waiting on a gift? Can we finally put this puppy to rest before the 2009 Secret Santa thread needs to start ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Myself, Prime, LiquidLogan, and Sniperguy received bunny gifts.

Hypatia and Doc received unexpected special gifts.

I think that's everyone! There were only 4 deadbeat santas on the gift list.

Woo! Success!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RoundBoy wrote: »

Did all the people who got screwed check in? who is still waiting on a gift? Can we finally put this puppy to rest before the 2009 Secret Santa thread needs to start ?

There are a couple of people still without. Doc is on it, as far as I know.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Judge-Z wrote: »

Judge your gift is on the way. Thanks for being super patient (goddam it's almost April)

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Judge-Z wrote: »

Judge your gift is on the way. Thanks for being super patient (goddam it's almost April)

It's all good, Doc. My Birthday's in April anyway, so it works!

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So, I was having an absolute shit day.

First, three hours sleep after my daughter wet her bed for the first time ever, and I spent the night wet-vacuuming the wizz out of her brand new mattress and having her bouncing in bed next to me the rest of the night, as hers was drying/ filled with pee-busting solution.

Second, first day back to work after spring break.

Third, my student teacher is just not cutting it. He screwed up, in a fairly big way, and I had to prepare damage control.

Fourth, it's rainy, cold, and shitty.

Then I came home, and like a motherfucking ray of sunshine, a golden DHL box sat on my doorstep. My Secret Santa gift had arrived, exactly when needed most!

My dog and I investigated. It's from Germany! the land of (50% of) my forefathers! He hopes it's Bratwurst.

IMG_0896.jpg

First, a nice note. No worries on the delay, Santa - I know there were some mitigating factors. Hope everything is going well now!

IMG_0898.jpg

No Bratwurst. So the dog left. What's inside?

IMG_0899.jpg

Books! I love books! But books, I've heard somewhere are gay. Does that make me gay? I don't feel like sucking cock. Maybe the rumours are untrue. Anyway, I've heard very good things about the Mass Effect book, and based on the suspended development of Ghost, methinks the book may be the best thing to come out of it. I love the stories in Blizzard's games, so I look forward to reading that as well.

Next up...

IMG_0900.jpg

Dark Angels Chief Librarian Ezekiel. I literally just bought the latest edition of the 40k rules and the Space Marine Codex, and was planning on mooching some of my friends' figures to play against them. Now, sir, you have forced my hand. Looks like I'm going to be helping the Dark Angels redeem themselves in the eyes of the Emperor. I look forward to the challenge of collecting and painting my first 40k army (and getting their codex). Thank you for giving me the motivation to do so. Time to purge the heretics!

Finally...

IMG_0901.jpg

Ryu prepares to do battle with a great demonic beast. The beast hopes Ryu has some Bratwurst. Ryu is now guarding the entrance to my man cave, the contents of which are not fit to show publicly.

Thanks a lot to my Santa, Klyka! Once again this whole experience was fantastic, and I'm looking forward to the next iteration!

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh man, very nice! That Ryu figure looks awesome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Woo! Gotta love santas to the rescue!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yay! A happy ending for all involved!

That Ryu figurine looks really huge, too. It would be a close battle between he and your pooch.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Does this mean everyone is finally accounted for Doc? Can we finally bring Secret Santa 2008 to a close?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Does this mean everyone is finally accounted for Doc? Can we finally bring Secret Santa 2008 to a close?

Yep, we are 100% complete! Woooo!

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Congrats Doc! Really well done job!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yep, we are 100% complete! Woooo!

Time to start thinking about Secret Santa 2009!

:P

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Woo! YAY!!!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options