As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magical Mystery Tour 2009 - SCHEDULE AND VERY IMPORTANT INFO!

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive

CURRENT ACTIVITY - SCHEDULE AND PREPARATION!

Read the following to prepare yourself for the tour!

*** IMPORTANT: RESPOND TO NOMAD'S REGISTRATION E-MAIL! ***

Sent out a couple emails for you all, please let me know if you haven't received anything and FORTHELOVEOFGODANDALLTHATISHOLY please respond to the second email, and confirm your spot on the tour, let me know if you're bringing people, etc.

Please let me know if you haven't received anything yet, and I'll be sure to re-email you. Please respond ASAP, definitely before Monday if you can, because Mon/Tues is when I'll be calling to make bookings.

*** IMPORTANT: TRANSPORTATION! ***

Some deals went south, some people had their kneecaps busted, the end result is, I had to revise the schedule and we're going to hire a bus for one day only. It was far too expensive otherwise, and we don't have high enough numbers to keep the costs down. So instead of charging you some pretty hefty charter bus ticket costs, we switched some things around to make it cheaper.

Now, bus passes are set and fixed at $27 per person, which is less than they would have been otherwise. You will only have to buy a ticket if you will be attending the tour BOTH DAYS or WEDNESDAY ONLY. Those of you who will only be around for Thursday or part of Thursday won't be participating in our very own PAX-version of Speed, and the tradeoff is that you won't have to get a bus ticket.

For everyone else, please, please check your email and follow the link to eye-shuh's paypal bus ticket site and purchase a ticket. We really need everyone to get their tickets before this SUNDAY, August 23rd, before NOON (or the cowboys will come'a shootin, or something..) so that eye-shuh can make the deal.

If you are fundamentally unable to buy a ticket before this SUNDAY, August 23rd at NOON please email or PM me or eye-shuh immediately.

*** IMPORTANT: SCHEDULE! ***

WEDNESDAY
9:00 AM – meet at Pike Place (we can go get donuts!)
9:15-11:00 - Seattle Aquarium
Ride waterfront streetcar to Pioneer Square (we'll be catching up with the bus after the Underground Tour)
Noon-1:30 - Underground Tour (tours start at 10 am, 90 min long)
1:30 – 2:30 - Get lunch at Essential Bakery , lunch at GasWorks
2:30 – 3:00 - Look around Fremont, visit the imprisoned Fremont Troll
3:00 – 4:00 - Ballard Locks
4:00 – 5:00 – Archie McPhees and Trophy Cupcakes
5:00 - ??? – Back to Downtown

THURSDAY
9:00 AM – Meet downtown somewhere, take monorail to Seattle Center
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM – EMP and Sci-Fi Museum
1:00 PM +/- -- Meet up with CCST at WSCTC (for whoever wants to go, otherwise can stay at EMP)
LUNCH at Westlake center – before or after CCST meetup, time-dependent
After lunch: optional, self-coordinated trip to MOHAI for those who want to go.

*** OPTIONAL, BUT RECOMMENDED: Pre-PAX DINNER REGISTRATION! ***

Also, register for the Pre-PAX Dinner HERE if you plan on going to it as part of the MMT! (It comes HIGHLY recommended by last years' participants! Truly an awesome and unique PAX Community experience!)

The Tentative MMT Schedule!

Day 1, Wednesday:

9:00 AM – meet at Pike Place (we can go get donuts!)
9:15-11:00 - Seattle Aquarium
Ride waterfront streetcar to Pioneer Square (we'll be catching up with the bus after the Underground Tour)
Noon-1:30 - Underground Tour (tours start at 10 am, 90 min long)
1:30 – 2:30 - Get lunch at Essential Bakery , lunch at GasWorks
2:30 – 3:00 - Look around Fremont, visit the imprisoned Fremont Troll
3:00 – 4:00 - Ballard Locks
4:00 – 5:00 – Archie McPhees and Trophy Cupcakes
5:00 - ??? – Back to Downtown

Day 2, Thursday:

9:00 AM – Meet downtown somewhere, take monorail to Seattle Center
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM – EMP and Sci-Fi Museum
1:00 PM +/- -- Meet up with CCST at WSCTC (for whoever wants to go, otherwise can stay at EMP)
LUNCH at Westlake center – before or after CCST meetup, time-dependent
After lunch: optional, self-coordinated trip to MOHAI for those who want to go.

ABOUT THE MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR

Hello everybody! It's time again to start planning the Magical Mystery Tour!

What is it?

The Magical Mystery Tour is a community-driven tour (on foot as well as by car) that was started last year so that people who get into town a few days early can see the sights of Seattle while socializing with fellow PAXers!

Everything about the Magical Mystery Tour is as democratic and community involved as we can make it: you vote on where you want to go, volunteers from among our numbers will serve as drivers, and the tour itself is run by the people!

This year, the tour will be led by our fellow forumer MetaverseNomad, who ran our unofficial Underground area leg of the tour last year! Eye-shuh will be lending a hand with implementation and logistics as well! Thank you both for volunteering your time and effort since I won't be there for the bulk of the tour itself this year! =(

When is it?

Like last year, we intend for the Magical Mystery Tour to take place on the Wednesday and Thursday before PAX. Therefore, the tour will be the days of:

September 2nd -3rd, 2009

We meet up early in the morning so that we can all hit the first event together, and then spend the rest of the day exploring the city of Seattle and its outlying areas!

Where do we go?

That, my dear PAXer, is up to you! The only events set in stone are the meetup with the Cross-Country Supertrip, the Pre-PAX Dinner, and the Pub Crawl (all taking place on Thursday afternoon and evening). Other than that, votes will be held leading up to the Magical Mystery Tour to determine where we will go!

What do you need from me now?

There are a few things you can do right now.

* Vote in the polls!
* Participate in the forum discussion!
* (If you were in on it last year) tell us what you thought of it, and how it can be improved!

How do I sign up?

If you know that you will be in town early and you know that you want to tour Seattle anyways, sign up and let us know here, and start participating in the discussion!

Eye-shuh, the second in command to our Fearless Leader, has created a nifty Google Docs form that you can fill out and submit to automatically register for the tour!

Click here to fill out your registration form now!

Everyone who's already PM'd me to register, I'll input it in for you, no worries! =)

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eye-Shuh has created an awesome registration form for us with Google Docs! Take a look at the link above if you're interested in registering! I'll take care of adding in anyone who's PM'd me thus far to save you from having to re-submit info. =)

VThornheart on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Eye-Shuh's form is indeed spectacular! Have a look and fill it out!

Additionally, now is the time for letting us know about destinations that you are interested in, have heard about, or would like included on the tour. I've got a fairly good list so far, and we'll start the polling on potential locations soon, so start talkin! Even general themes or activities that you're interested in would be immensely helpful!

In fact... I may attempt to utilize google docs for this, now that I know how awesome it is!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This would be cool to see, but it would be at night, and more like a show than actual sightseeing. Dining, entertainment and cocktails, with can-can dancers!

Though, depending, I might actually be taking the entire week off (one of my professors is cool and actually suggested this) and going up to Seattle either Sunday or Monday. If that happened, I would likely get all the typical sight-seeing stuff done already. That would leave all the off-the-wall stuff for the MMT.
    Also, my friends are becoming more deadset on going to the Mariners game Wednesday afternoon, but don't want to do any type of tour stuff. And since the game is against the Angels, I actually care about who wins, unless it's virtually guaranteed that the Angels will win the West again by that time.

Eye-shuh did a great job on that application though. It looks sweet. High-five to eye-shuh!

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
    edited March 2009
    Aye, the knowledge that Google Docs even HAS something like this is pretty much revolutionary in our ability to gather information for the MMT =)

VThornheart on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have submitinated my infoes.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited March 2009
    OK everyone, I'm going to re-post this list for your viewing pleasure! There are resources below for additional information if you have any interest in checking out the sites.

Also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fill out the Location poll so we can get gauge interest in potential locations. If you don't care at all where we go, please just open the poll, enter your name, scroll to the bottom and send it in! If you don't care where we go, I'd like to know that too!

Thanks everyone!!!

AGAIN, HERE IS THE POLL LINK

MMT Potential Locations:

EMP/Sci Fi Museum (I think you went last year?)
    Cost: $15 (free admission on Thursday, 5-8 PM. likely to be crowded as all get-out; & might conflict with dinner...).
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations...le/A26439.html
    http://www.empsfm.org/

Ballard Locks:
    Locks connect Puget Sound and Lake Washington, also has salmon/fish ladders for fish to get back/forth
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations...le/A32252.html

Pike Place:
    Open-air fish and vegetable market with lots of shopping (and doughnuts). Also the site of the first Starbucks (yaaay…)
    Cost: free
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations...le/A20868.html

MOHAI: (Museum of History and Industry)
    Museum detailing the history of Seattle and the Puget Sound Region (sounds cool!)
    Cost: First Thursday, Sept. 3: Free Admission, otherwise $7
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations...le/A20882.html
    http://www.seattlehistory.org/

Wing Luke Asian Art Museum:
    Asian art displays and artifacts, showcasing special/traveling exhibits
    Cost: First Thursday, Sept. 3: Free Admission,
    http://www.wingluke.org/

Space Needle:
    Created for the 1962 World’s Fair, views of Seattle.
    Cost: $16 (possibly less with passes or group rates?)
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations...le/A20871.html
    http://www.spaceneedle.com/

Seattle Aquarium:
    An aquarium! In Seattle!
    Cost: $16 (possibly less with passes or group rates)
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations...le/A20865.html
    http://www.seattleaquarium.org/NetCo...e.aspx?pid=183

Kubota garden (Japanese Garden)
    20-acre park with traditional gardens and waterfalls/ponds, etc.
    Cost: free
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations...le/A32255.html
    http://www.kubota.org/

Seattle Center/Pac. Sci. Center/Fountain/… :
    Cost: depends; grounds and fountain are free. Pacific Science Center is $11 (+/- with group rates/passes)
    http://www.seattlecenter.com/

Seattle Underground Tour (Pioneer Square):
    A subterranean tour of the old streets of Seattle, with additional history of Seattle.
    In my opinion: this tour is more expensive than it should be, but it’s the only way to get underground. Although, I’ve heard that MOHAI has a replica of the streets as they used to be, and I suppose it depends on whether or not people actually want to get beneath the streets to see what’s down there. It’s ok, but, $$$. As an alternative, there are plenty of walking tour routes through Pioneer Square and/or I’d be happy to give the tour again!
    Cost: $15 +/-
    http://www.undergroundtour.com/

Other random places or stops we could make:

Fremont Walking tour: http://www.frommers.com/destinations...032020035.html

Seattle <-> Vashon Island Ferry Boat trip! ~$9 roundtrip ticket; awesome sights of the Puget Sound and Islands, probably won't see any dolphins or whales, but there are more than enough seagulls to make up for it! ;)

Monorail: http://www.seattlemonorail.com/index.php

Lots of random and cool stuff in Fremont

Jazz show, live music, can-can, other live shows! Cost varies.
    http://www.seattle.com/nightlife/

MetaverseNomad on
    edited March 2009
    Aye, I've corrected the OP link now =)=)

VThornheart on
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rego'ed and Survey'ed

ashridah on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Woot! ^5 for google docs!

I secretly use it at work and then transfer everything over to MS Word when my boss wants something. XD

Are we going to decide on a cap for activities? Last I saw of the poll that had everyone's "why are you attending MMT" it seemed like most were coming just to hang out. Maybe that means less toury pay attention stuff and more sight-seeing chatty stuff?

PS: If it's warm in September, we should all jump in Greenlake. And shush! It could be really warm! Seattle has been super weather mood-swingy this year!

eye-shuh on
  • beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jump in Green Lake? And risk coming out covered in algae and getting swimmers itch? Why, when you can jump in the Sound!!!

There are lot's of beaches to do that... Alki, Carkeek, Richmond, etc...

beowuff on
    edited March 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Are we going to decide on a cap for activities? Last I saw of the poll that had everyone's "why are you attending MMT" it seemed like most were coming just to hang out. Maybe that means less toury pay attention stuff and more sight-seeing chatty stuff?

So, I was thinking we could take some extended-lunches maybe? For instance, at Gas Works Park one day, and maybe Alki the other day?

Additionally, depending on the number of people and the itinerary, I would like to promote the idea of MAYBE renting a tour bus, for at least one of the days. Depending on the number of people, the cost would be about $15-20 per person, make the trip EXTREMELY more convenient, and we wouldn't have to worry about organizing cars/drivers, paying (exorbitant) prices for parking (in multiple places around the city). But, this is just a thought....

I think on Thursday we could easily streamline transportation anyway, and once we get an idea of the locations we'd like to visit, I'm going to work on finding the best route, and the easiest way to get to locations without having to drive to/from every place. but anyway, all of this can be discussed later on..

MetaverseNomad on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I VOTED FOR BACON

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Done and done!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dunno what my school schedule is gonna be like at this time, but Im hoping to have enough time to do this. Should I still fill out a form if im a maybe?

Azazel on
    edited March 2009
    If you're at >= 50% change of going, I personally think you should, so that at least you get a say in where the trip goes if you end up coming along (and maybe it'll encourage you to come? Eh? Eh? :nudge: ) =)

VThornheart on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Don't forget, if you guys still plan to greet the CCST, we're coming in at 1pm instead of 2pm this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2009
    CCST greeting was way fun last year. We should definitely do it again!

Jumping in Greenlake is for the coolest people. Forget the sound!

+1 vote for tour bus. That would be friggin awesome.

eye-shuh on
  • Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Didn't the CCST greet end up happening at like 6 last year? Whatever happens, this will be an epic two days!

I'll only be there after 3pm on Wednesday because it's my first day of senior year, but I'm skipping the beginning-of-the-year retreat to be at PAX on time Friday meaning I'll be with the entire tour Thursday. I think I'm driving s7arcbuck+1 or something, but being there for only the end of Thursday makes it weird. I can hold 2 more other than them.

WOOHOO!

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
    edited March 2009
    I think it ended up being like 4pm or so, though it's all a big haze, and I wasn't physically there for it personally (because I had to meet the BioWare guys)... but I think by 6pm we were all at the Pre-PAX Dinner helping to set up. Ah, that was fun times =)

Woot! I'm psyched for this year, even if I won't be hitting the MMT until the CCST meet-up =)

VThornheart on
    edited April 2009
    Aaah! This thread has fallen to the... the second page! I feel so dirty...

Anyway, there are still quite a few of you out there who have expressed interest in joining our kickass Seattle tour, and many of you haven't yet signed up or filled out the locations poll!

I want to throw in as much cool stuff as I can to this, so your input is really important!

*cough*also, bump...*cough*

MetaverseNomad on
    edited April 2009
    Bumpity bump bump bump!

Don't forget to sign up people! Your pre-PAX experience is not complete without the MMT!!

As a reminder:

(1) MMT includes activities such as the pre-PAX dinner

(2) We encourage Seattle-ites to attend! There's nothing more fun that going to see all those touristy things you never go visit when you actually live here.

(3) IT'S AWESOME IS MY POINT

eye-shuh on
    edited April 2009
    I'm also working on some "stupendous" MMT buttons! So, if for nothing else... do it for the buttons!

MetaverseNomad on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I have made up my mind and signed up. I look forward to more fun and hilarious moments with our fearless* leader Nomad.

Heading out to Vashon or Bainbridge is an interesting idea, but unless we have some stuff to do over there it seems like a waste to take the ferry.

* May not be as fearless as advertised.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't remember if I'd filled this out before, so I did it again. I'm going to be an UberTourist on this so the more tourist-y things are the better!

Frightfully English on
    edited April 2009
    Cronus wrote: »
    So I have made up my mind and signed up. I look forward to more fun and hilarious moments with our fearless* leader Nomad.

Heading out to Vashon or Bainbridge is an interesting idea, but unless we have some stuff to do over there it seems like a waste to take the ferry.

* May not be as fearless as advertised.

Hey! When there was an ATM room orgy, was I afraid*?! When my helicopter dipped down, was I afraid*?! When I jumped out of a plane, was I afraid**?!? When scary Belltown yuppies threatened to tear apart our Happy Hour entourage, was I afraid?!?***

*These things happened.
    **This happened, and... actually that was a little scary...
    ***The answer to this is also "no", but, that's only because we had a pirate... :P

MetaverseNomad on
    edited April 2009
    .... hmm... speaking of pirates... things seem to be much more fun if people dress up or are somehow unified by being similarly attired... Atlus has proved this!

Does anyone want to have a theme for the MMT?

MetaverseNomad on
  • Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's only so many costumes I can fit into my suitcase, so personally for a bit of a tour around Seattle I'd be against a theme.... But don't let that stop you guys dressing up! I can just pretend I'm dressed as a pirate instead.

Frightfully English on
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I say this as someone who's currently safely over 13000km away, but i'm not overly keen on this idea. Particularly pirates. Some places may object to us bringing in strange weapons or outfits (i know the boeing factory would definitely have been against that idea, but they were against almost everything :) )

ashridah on
    edited April 2009
    ashridah wrote: »
    I say this as someone who's currently safely over 13000km away, but i'm not overly keen on this idea. Particularly pirates. Some places may object to us bringing in strange weapons or outfits (i know the boeing factory would definitely have been against that idea, but they were against almost everything :) )

Good point about the Boeing factory. The sword wasn't a problem when I was walking around Belltown with it. People give you a wide berth when you have a sword. Even if it's plastic.

We can also leave stuff in cars if necessary given we'll be driving to a lot of the places.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited April 2009
    ok, well maybe just eye-shuh and I can dress up. Then at least we'd be easy to follow!

MetaverseNomad on
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i hope random pax attendees find us again!

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
    edited April 2009
    Haha, you know I'd be down!

We could always have a nerd theme....oh...wait...

eye-shuh on
    edited April 2009
    whats a nerd?

Ravenger on
    edited April 2009
    Whale penis.

...or is that dorks?

eye-shuh on
    edited April 2009
    WHALEEEE DORRRRRK

Ravenger on
    edited April 2009
    Ravenger wrote: »
    WHALEEEE DORRRRRK

So how exactly do you dress up as that.

Or we could go with the geek theme. My wardrobe is already set for that one.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    im pretty sure there are no geeks at pax. you might stand out

Ravenger on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    WHALEEEE DORRRRRK

So... you do your own geek shows?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited April 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    WHALEEEE DORRRRRK

So... you do your own geek shows?

Yea. All those nickels people throw at me fund my extravagant lifestyle that only a geek can truly live.

And by extravagant I of course mean top ramen and video games.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Did you know.....

Seattle is known as the Emerald City
    ozemeraldcity1.jpg

Seattle's city song is called "Seattle the Peerless City". Although, in reality, Seattle's city song should be something by Nirvana.

Seattle is the home of the Jones Soda Company, which, among its "normal" flavors of soda has also produced "Turkey and Gravy soda" "Green Bean Casserole soda" "Christmas Tree soda" and "Latkes soda". Because we're all creatively insane here in the Northwest!

Also, the Northwest has a higher rate of Multiple Sclerosis than anywhere else in the country. Billboards scattered throughout the city prominently display this fact, and are a constant, ominous reminder. . .

My co-worker gave me that last one, because I was running out of ideas... which gives me another one: employees at the University of Washington are crazy insane. Some of them are crazy awesome. . . . .

Like your tour leaders! muahahahaaa!

MetaverseNomad on
This discussion has been closed.